Voimasta Ja Kunniasta Review

moonsorrow: Voimasta Ja Kunniasta
Released: Nov 26, 2001
Genre: Folk/Pagan Metal
Label: Spikefarm Records
I think this album is better than "Kivekantaja". I like the sound of guitars in this album, you can actually hear something unlike in "Kivenkantja".
 9.2
 8.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Voimasta Ja Kunniasta Reviewed by: zannibal, on january 06, 2012

Sound: The album begins with strange voices... Those voices say: Trollhorn is awesome. The intro song, "Tyven", is something beyond imagination. Incredibly beautiful song played by piano and a flute. It lasts for 2 minutes with pretty much same melody and my god it's awesome. Then the first full song kicks in - "Sankarihauta" (Hero's Grave). It's Moonsorrow at it's best - 2 minutes of heavy riffing and screaming. Then the singing starts and it's once again cool. The main melody of "Tyven" is played once again. Next song, "Kylan Paassa" (At The Edge Of Village) starts with riffing, and it remains me of Terasbetoni. After that, acoustic guitars come in and singing starts. And so on, the album is typical Moonsorrow; heavy riffs, brutal singing and folk. Songs are quite long (shortest song is 7:38 length) and pretty progressive stylish; none of them follow the verse-chorus-verse-chorus style. I like the sound of guitars in this album, you can actually hear something unlike in "Kivenkantja". If I had to whine about something, "Sankaritarina" could've been more epic, more like "Sankarihauta". // 8

Lyrics: Singer is singin in the same style as always; brutal high screaming. It works. Can't say a bad thing about that. There's also clean singing. Lyrics are once again folk stuff. How surprising. For example the lyrics in "Sankarihauta" is about some guy who comes home and sees everyone dead; "Saapui han keskelle havityksen kylaan ammoin niin rauhaisaan. Katot hehkuivat vareissa liekkien ja veri rakkaiden peitti maan." which means: "He arrived into the middle of destruction into a village once so calm Rooftops glowing the colours of flame and the blood of the beloved on the ground" After that he had his revenge, but in the end he dies: "And so the time of the warrior did come with an embroided blade in its hand" Lyrics fit music perfectly and they're pretty cool, specially if you know Finnish language. I usually don't like music with Finnish language, but Moonsorrow is an exception. // 9

Overall Impression: I think this album is better than "Kivekantaja". Moonsorrow is like Yngwie Malmsteen: I just don't like to listen every songs on album, some of them are kind of boring, but the ones that are good, they really are beyond imagination. My 3 favorite songs are "Tyven" (even though it's only an intro), "Sankarihauta" and "Kylan Paassa". It's once again a big, heavy and still so beautiful folk metal album, from Finland. Totally worth checking. // 8

More Moonsorrow reviews rating latest review
+ Kivenkantaja 4.2 10/20/2011