Gateways To Annihilation Review

artist: morbid angel date: 01/06/2004 category: compact discs
morbid angel: Gateways To Annihilation
Released: 2000
Genre: Rock
Tones: Hostile, Volatile, Bleak, Bitter, Visceral, Harsh, Malevolent, Nihilistic, Gloomy, Ominous, Intense
Styles: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal
 8.9
 9.1
 8.7
Gateways To Annihilation Reviewed by: _3Dblasphemy_, on january 06, 2004

Sound: In a word: crushing. This is the second album by morbid angel that I purchased, the first one being blessed are the sick. There is a huge contrast between the two albums, "blessed..." being more thrashy and energetic, and "gateways..." being dark and doomy. Most of the songs (except ageless still I am) are played on a 7-string guitar and the riffs are very sludgy, much unlike Morbid Angel's earlier releases. // 10

Lyrics: Gateways is the second album that new vocalist/bassist Steve Tucker appears on. His singing has evolved and has now become more focused and much stronger since his debut appearance on "formulas fatal to the flesh". In this album the lyrics are no longer so focused on the sumerian beliefs and Tucker proves that he can write songs just as "anti-god" as original vocalist/bassist David Vincent. Read the lyrics to "opening of the gates" and you will see what I mean. Tucker's lyrics are very meaningful although rather evil and speaks his mind very well. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is definitely worth buying and is an essential to any death-metaller. I was admittedly rather shocked when I heard this album after Blessed are the sick because of the sharp contrast in sound, but this can only be a good thing since it shows the diversity of the band. The best songs on this album are Summoning Redemption, He who sleeps, to the victor the spoils, opening of the gates, hell they're all killer! Recently I have bought 2 other albums, "Formulas fatal to the flesh" and "Entangled in Chaos", a live album. I must say I think "Gateways..." is better than "formulas..." because the sound is more focussed and controlled. Somethign I have always admired morbid angel for is the fact that they demonstrate anger and aggression in their music whilst keeping it controlled and still rhythmic etc - something that other DM bands like cannibal corpse seem to struggle to achieve. // 10

Gateways To Annihilation Reviewed by: morbid_death, on july 18, 2003

Overall Impression: At last the mighty Death Metallers, Morbid Angel, have brought out something to match their 1989 release Altars of Madness, and their 90's album Covenant. Following up their somewhat less repuatable album, Formulas Fatal to the Flesh, comes Gateways to Annihilation. Gateways to Annihilation delivers that hard hitting, morbid feeling, and somewhat brooding atmopshere that Morbid Angel tended to fall back on a tad on releases after Covenant. Steve Tucker's (Vocalist/Bassist) voice hits you like a Demon straight from the otherside of the Gateway! This is definatly one of their best pieces of work. Gateways to Annihilation starts off with the mood shifting track Summoning Redemption, that gets you right into the feel of the album which continues right until the end of the album. It is followed with what is now one of my favourite Morbid Angel tracks, Ageless, Still I am. This feel is continued for the entire length of the album, 100% killer!!! The last song has slight twist for Morbid Angel, the solo in God of the Forsaken is...clear! Un-like your typical Morbid Angel solo that is rather gut-wrenching, this one has a feel to it, and finishes the album with a triumphant mood. This is definatly a must get for any not just Death Metal fan, but any fan of Metal. If your a previous Morbid Angel fan and have been a little let down by Formulas Fatal to the Flesh, definatly check out Gateways to Annihilation. // 10

Gateways To Annihilation Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 22, 2003

Overall Impression: Man...crush me one more time..I 'll admit I was a little taken back when I heard some of the tunes on this album. I really enjoy the heavy slower ones, as I am also a fan of bands like Cathedral and Black Sabbath {who isn't?}.....I have to commend Trey Azogthoth on "at one with Nothing" especially......great riffs and shredding solos are on mark, and the tune is multifaceted as it builds and builds...This may be one of the heaviest riffs ever written, while still paying homage to Trey's favorite bands {van Halen, Jimi Hendrix}...I especially like the harmonized middle part, with slow flowing moments in the solo...VERY DEEP!!! Many of the other songs are great too..."I" is a nasty song in typical Morbid Angel fashion....the jabbing single note riffing and odd time signatures that don't sound odd until you find yourself trying to count them with your small brain.....Trey for president..sadly the band is in search of a new rhythm guitarist and singer right now, but have done plenty to have a motley crue of young death metalers ready to join the fold ....buy this one!!! // 8

More Morbid Angel reviews rating latest review