Southpaw Grammar Review

artist: morrissey date: 06/08/2011 category: compact discs
morrissey: Southpaw Grammar
Released: Aug 28, 1995
Genre: Alternative Rock, Indie Rock
Label: RCA (UK), Reprise (USA)
Morrissey and pals really experimented on this one. It is the album after his very successful "Vauxhall And I". That other than "Vauxhall And I", this is Morrissey at his best.
 9.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Southpaw Grammar Reviewed by: swave75, on june 08, 2011

Sound: Wow! Morrissey and pals really experimented on this one. It is the album after his very successful "Vauxhall And I". From what I read it got mixed reviews at the time. As a matter of fact, it took me several years to even think about buying it which I did off eBay for a dollar. And a dollar well spent it was. The song "The Operation" opens with a drum solo! And it also contains song sort of weird screaming guitar effect as the song comes to a chaotic close. And an awesome bass line to boot. The song "The Boy Racer" opens with a pick scraping beginning the is repeated through out the song. It rocks. The opening for the song "Southpaw" is eerie with more odd guitar effects before it comes alive. Yeah Morrissey is still down in the dumps but he is rocking about it. // 10

Lyrics: Morrissey is the kind of songwriter that if he met you and wrote a song about you, it would probably would be scathing but you would be honored cause it would be a killer track. "Sleep transport sadness to some other mid-brain" from "The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils". God, I love that cause it's true. And the "The Operation" he sings "Everyone is sick to the back teeth of you". I would love to tell that to someone. And of course on "Danenham Dave" he sings "Head in the clouds and a mouth full of pie" is an awesome way to show he does have sense of humor. Yes, I am biased. I love Morrissey. His voice is, well, he has an unique voice. One of those that you're like "Oh yeah. That's that grumpy British guy". On this album I think the music and the lyrics flow together effortlessly. // 10

Overall Impression: I would say that other than "Vauxhall And I", this is Morrissey at his best. He has a good band and his lyrics are his usual scathing and funny and sad. The songs I really like are "The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils", "The Operation", and "Dangenham Dave". I think if I bought it when it came out, I don't know if I would have liked it as much. But now that I am older, I can appreciate it. If it were lost I wouldn't have to buy it again cause I also own the one with extra songs. I prefer the original one though. Just buy it already! // 10

More Morrissey reviews rating latest review
+ World Peace Is None Of Your Business 5.3 07/18/2014