Your Arsenal Review

Genre: Alternative rock, indie rock
Label: HMV
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Your Arsenal Reviewed by: swave75, on june 28, 2011

Sound: I remember when this was released back in the day all the fans of Morrissey and his old band, The Smiths, loved it and said it sounded the closest to the Smiths sound and lyrics. It is a solid release. Produced by ex-Bowie guitarist, the late Mick Ronson, (who had cancer while producing this album) "Your Arsenal" laid the path for Morrissey's next album and his biggest "Vauxhall and I". On "Glamorous Glue" Alain Whyte plays some great slide guitar which totally goes great with this rocker. And on "I Know it's Gonna Happen Someday" Morrissey and pals borrow the riff from David Bowie's "Rock'n'roll Suicide." The album has a Bowie/Smiths vibe to it. // 9

Lyrics: Morrissey writes great songs. It seems on his earlier solo releases, he lacked something or just didn't have a great band behind him. He gets it right on "Your Arsenal". The production is great, the musicianship is superb, and Morrissey is not lost for words. // 9

Overall Impression: I wouldn't say it is his very best but it is easily in his top three albums. "You're the one for me Fatty" doesn't fit on this album. Maybe on his earlier stuff when he was singing about hairdressers and off the wall stuff like that. I really like "Glamorous Glue", "You're Gonna need Someone on Your Side." But I couldn't live without "I Know it's Gonna Happen Someday". The lyrics are sad but at the same time so full of hope. Easily, one of Morrissey's best written songs ever. Could I live without this album...maybe since I have "Glamrous Glue" and "I Know it's Gonna Happen Someday" on a "Best of" cd of his. // 9

More Morrissey reviews rating latest review
+ World Peace Is None Of Your Business 5.3 07/18/2014