The Unborn Review

mors principium est: The Unborn
Release Date: May 2, 2005
Label: Listenable
Genres: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal
In the metal desert of monotony and mediocrity, MPE managed to be an oasis with an original proposal that deserves not to remain in the unknown.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 9.2
 8.4
 9.9
The Unborn Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 20, 2008

Sound: A not well heard of band, Mors Principium Est in laymans terms is what In Flames should be today; quick, brutal driving melodic death metal that does no more than one could ask for from this saturated genre. Nothing new is offered here, except possibly the liberal use of keyboards to back up the guitar riffs and the female singing in areas. Guitars like so many other bands in this genre are the driving force behind this band, and many riffs are pretty catchy (just check out the intro song Pure). Drumming is always a presence on this with the double bass going, and bass (when heard) does it's job of holding the songs together. // 8

Lyrics: The vocals are not something I absoluty love about Mors Principium est, but they mostly get lost in the vicious onslaught of guitars and double bass. Basically take Wintersun's vocalist and you have Mors Principium Est. Lyrics, as far as I can tell, are the usual death metal topics; pain, suffering, frustration, death, ect. I havn't had the chance to look up the actual lyrics since I bought this album online (it is VERY hard to find any albums by this band in stores). // 7

Overall Impression: If you are a fan of early In Flames, or any other death metal/ melodic death metal, or just metal for that matter, I would give these guys a shot. It is a pleasent wake up call from the amount of metalcore/screamo going around these days. Though nothing new is brought to the table, and some of the songs can seem repetitive, Mors Principium Est do a very good job of creating songs that would put several other bands to shame. I have yet to listen to their other albums (they released a new one last year I believe), but if they continue on the same path they are bound to be a major driving force behind melodic death metal in the near future. // 8

The Unborn Reviewed by: RainingBlood27, on may 17, 2010

Sound: Well, seeing as no one else has bothered to write another review of this album, I'll do it. This band is quite simply what In Flames used to sound like, only in the 2000's era. It's nothing any seasoned Melodic Death Metal fan hasn't heard, but it's certainly a really nice refresh from all the shitty metalcore, screamo, and post-hardcore that people seem to be getting into recently. It's a very pleasant listen. Particularly, the riffing is very easy to like, and the keyboards add a nice touch. They're not your regular "christmas" keyboards like in most other MDM (yes Children Of Bodom, I'm looking at YOU) bands today, but instead they're these ambient, deep, epic synths. The best track in terms of unity and completeness is Pure. The next song isn't really interesting in particular, seeing as its just another generic thrashy song. Another great song on the album is Altered State of Consciousness. It's a song that just makes you feel insane and angry, like you want to break everything in sight, but as soon as the softer chorus comes in, it's as if it's a total mood change. Quite nice, actually. Keeps the song fresh and interesting. And finally, the title track. Same deal as Altered State of Consciousness, only in reverse. It goes from a soft keyboard only intro, into an epic battle-like song that would be fit for any war scene. Other notable songs are Fragile Flesh and Spirit-Conception. Songs I'm less fond of are "Parasites of Paradise", "Pressure", and "Blood of Heroes". // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty generic, I guess, in terms of themes. But they are very well written and add much depth to the songs. The lyrics in Pure probably describe some sort of religious peoples who suffered for their beliefs, with no reward from their deities. Just a guess. I listen to it when I get sick of Christian Zealots (although, not ALL christians are zealots. A lot are very polite and don't care about your beliefs) on the internet. Altered State of Consciousness deals with a man who is either under the influence of drugs or just straight up batshit insane. The Unborn, I'm not entirely sure, but it describes some sort of war torn region. Either way, the lyrics in this album make for some very interesting imagery, and it could be possible to just sit there and formulate entire stories from the songs. However, they often use personal pronouns, and I'm not too crazy for those, but that's all opinion. The singer is great, but, I wish he would've chose the tone of screaming/growling he used on this album for the next album. // 10

Overall Impression: It compares, in sort of a different way. The keyboards are definitely unique, although the idea of keyboards altogether is pretty old. The most impressive songs, as said before hand, are "Pure", "Altered State of Consciousness", "The Unborn", and "Fragile Flesh". I love pretty much everything about it, but not everyone may agree. There are certainly things about it I could understand someone hating. For example, sometimes clipping and distortion is audible in the tracks, the palm muted riffs are MUCH too loud, and with the loud bass drums, the both just start to melt together, and you might not be able to tell one from the other at certain times. // 8

Comments