The Myth Of Purity Review

8.7
 6.4
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
The Myth Of Purity Reviewed by: Tomayo88, on february 20, 2012

Sound: Mortad's sound is like a punch in the face - a good one at that! Their full-on Thrash assault is raw and furious, a perfect combination. Mortad - Waste Of My Rage Mortad - Live at Bloodstock Open Air 2011 Formed in 2010, Mortad's current line-up consists of Somi Arian (vocals and founding member), Jonathan Hughes (guitars), Joseph Perumal (bass) and Szymek Lawik (drums) and are certainly one of the best modern bands. They're great live, so if you ever get the chance to see them, do it! You won't regret it I - promise you. "The Myth Of Purity" is in this month's [February 2012] Metal Hammer (in stores on Wednesday 8th Feb 2012). Mortad also released an EP named "Pandemic Paranoia", which is ace and highly recommendable. You can download it on iTunes and Amazon. // 9

Lyrics: The awesome music is served up with a nice plate of "F**k You" lyrics from Somi. Honestly, these are some furious lyrics that are accompanied by a great voice to boot. Somi has a helluva scream on her that stands up to the likes of Angela Gossow, of Arch Enemy. In the opening track, the vocals remind me of an almost Black Metal-type snarl/scream and it is just great! The lyrics are based on a lot of political occurrences from Iran, Somi's home-country, where there has been a lot of controversy on Heavy Metal among various other things. She notes in Metal Hammer that in Iran, "you could go to jail for having a guitar". So a lot of the lyrical inspiration comes from the Iranian government and getting back at them. // 8

Overall Impression: The guitars are crystal clear, the drumming is pure and pounding, and you even get a good dose of bass - all down to one great man: producer Russ Russell, who has worked with the likes of Evile, Napalm Death and Dimmu Borgir. Well done on another awesomely produced album, Russ! Tracks ('**' means that the track is a stand-out): 01. "All That's Born Must Be Destroyed" - this opens up the album with a flurry of drumming and crunching guitars, and when the vocals kick in you'll want to scream along. (**) 02. "Waste Of My Rage" - this is the stand-out track on the album for me. If you've listened to the track, you'll know why; everything from the vocals to the guitars to the drums is great, no amazing! (**) 03. "The Heights" - unlike the first two tracks, this one doesn't come straight in with an explosion. It starts of with a cool little guitar piece and proceeds into a mid-tempo piece, and speeds up. 04. "Mirage" - track 4 starts of softly, and turns into a fist-pumping song that commands your attention. "Mirage" is a powerful and dark song. I love it! (**) 05. "Feels Like Suffocation" - galloping guitars and vicious vocals are a good combination. A combo that this track makes full use of. It's bloody awesome! (**) 06. "The Myth Of Purity" - the title track starts off in a very brutal way, with Somi screaming and a lot of cymbal use. Yet another fist-pumping, head banging track that certainly won't let you down if you have high expectations for Mortad. 07. "I'm Not Interested In Being Interesting" - this starts of with Somi chanting "I'm not interested in being interesting just to interest people like you". I can see that becoming a chant that Mortad Monsters yell at gigs. Yet another furious track. 08. "By Default" - I don't know why, but this makes me think of DevilDriver. That's not a bad thing at all. I love the guitar playing in this track. (**) 09. "The Voice" - this starts off with a guitar playing over a screaming crowd, which has a cool effect. The song builds up suspense with the drums kicking in a while later and will have you banging your head along with it in no time. The riffs in this song are solid as anything. 10. "That Which Is Humane" - this finishes the album off. It is a very good track, and keeps up the great quality of song that has stayed throughout the album, and has some utterly awesome guitar soloing! (**) I love this album - it's been playing since I got in at 4 (it's now 8:45)! The only criticism I can make is that the first, second and seventh tracks aren't on for long in my opinion (3:53, 3:54 and 3:08) but that's because I like long songs. With brutal, raw and amazingly killer riffs, blast-your-ears-off drums and an amazing vocalist, it's easy to see why Mortad have gathered such a following, with almost 42 000 Facebook followers. Go check 'em out! // 9

Comments