Chainsaw Dismemberment Review

mortician: Chainsaw Dismemberment
Release Date: Jun 29, 1999
Label: Relapse
Genres: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal, Grindcore
Chainsaw Dismemberment doesn't really offer anything brand-new from Mortician; the jackhammer guitar riffs, drum machines, guttural vocals, and horror-movie samples are all still in place, with better production than on their earlier material.
 4.4
 1.7
 7.1
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
Chainsaw Dismemberment Reviewed by: Raptor45, on january 22, 2007

Sound: Good god. Yes I am a fan of some brutal death metal bands, and grindcore, but the way Mortician takes this genre, is into a boring daze of the same sound which you will get sick of in 5 songs. My whole review on this album is somewhat what had happened on YouTube.com, where I posted a few comments on a Mortician video of how all their songs sound the same, and they don't have much talent. I was absolutely blindsided with hate comments, and the only thing I could really do about it was fight back and forth for months about this stupid band. There is nothing innovative about this band. Every single song sounds the same, with voice modifycated growls, absolutely horrid guitar buzzes, and the same blastbeats (which are a drum machine, no human is actually doing that). Mortician lures you into the song with a horror movie clip, which gets your attention because you want to know what is happening (usually the clip is someone getting murdered, or a freaky guy telling people they are going to die), then like a switch-blade being sliced into your eye-balls, the music delivers nothing but hell. // 3

Lyrics: Hmm.. with pretty much the lyrics of a maniac, it's all about killing things and commiting brutal acts to their decomposed corpse. If people really want to hear this, they'd turn to Cannibal Corpse or Aborted, because those bands have orginality in their songs. Every Mortician song is the same, and goes like this: slow bass bring in, goes somewhat quiet and slows down, drum machine kicks in at 500 BPM or so, leaving you to listen to "UGHHH!HH!H!" over and over again. // 1

Overall Impression: If I were to compare this to any other Mortician album out there, I'd say no album is different then the next. Out of their 100+ song library, Mortician piles on the repeat of same sounding songs as a killer would with his corpse pile. In other words, does a dead body look like the other dead body that is stacked onto it? Yes. Does every Mortician song sound the same, stacked onto the other one? Yes. Mortician is perfect to be compared to a pile of rotting corpses. A song that is impressive? None have talent. If I had to give it to one song though, I'd say Psychotic Rage was alright. Their other albums such as "Hacked Up For Barbeque", are probably just a bit better than this one. Yet, I don't think anyone would enjoy this album, perhaps some serious brutal death metal fans will, infact I know they do, cause they give me shit 24/7 for bashing this. Well to answer the famous question of "If this were stolen." If this were stolen, I would let the robber have it, it's his loss for having such a shitty CD. No talent at all, these guys are in their 30s for gods sake. Search harder for a better death metal band, I am positive you will find one. // 1

Comments