Even If It Kills Me Review

motion city soundtrack: Even If It Kills Me
Release Date: Sep 18, 2007
Label: Epitaph
Genres: Punk-Pop, Punk Revival
In fact, Even If It Kills Me does seem to consciously aim for commercial acceptance, but rarely at the expense of the quirks and literate lyrics that first endeared Motion City Soundtrack to its fans.
 Lyrics: 9.4
 8.7
 8.4
Even If It Kills Me Reviewed by: >>Eric<<, on october 13, 2007

Sound: MCS (Motion City Soundtrack) had immediately caught my attention when I first heard the song "Everything Is Alright" off the "Commit This To Memory" album. I loved the beat and the lyrics were very catchy and it was fun to listen to! I immediately looked into MCS's discography to see their past and future recordings. When I discovered that "Even If It Kills Me" released September 18, I grabbed a copy and listened through the whole thing. It was amazing. MCS has captivated their own popish alternative sound and added on to it in this album. They have a variety of different mini genres within this CD, from techo-pop to acoustic sad songs. MCS has simply taken their own style and made it better. Great work. // 9

Lyrics: I always enjoyed MCS's lyrics. They are a little on the emo side sometimes, but they are also easy for me to relate to in my past experiences. The lyrics to "Broken Heart" are sad, but have a quick pace to the song that makes it enjoyable to listen to and sing along with. "Antonia" is also a rather funny song that talks about the things the singer thinks about his wife. And finally, the song "Even If It Kills Me" is a perfect ay to end the new CD. It has a good message I believe, and it kinda wraps up what the whole album was about. // 9

Overall Impression: I don't think that MCS is the only band that has the type of music you'll hear on "Even If It Kills Me", but if I had to choose between MCS, All-American Rejects, and Fall Out Boy, I would definately pick MCS. The songs that stand out to me in this album are "Broken Heart", "This Is For Real", "Fell In Love Without You", and "Even If It Kills Me." It is overall an awesome CD for anyone who like good music in general. I don't really see anything bad about it! If I lost this album, I would run back to Best Buy and get a copy as soon as I could. Buy this album. It's totally worth $9.99 or whatever the cost is! // 9

Even If It Kills Me Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 02, 2007

Sound: This CD carries the style of Motion City Soundtrack (MCS) and bumps it up to a new level. Although Motion City Soundtrack doesn't really utilize any ripping guitar solo's or lead guitar riffs, the overall blend of all the instruments including the keyboard sound pretty rich on this record, and I do enjoy it. This record accomplished something which I always hope happens on a band's next album: MCS still sounds like MCS but with a new twist. The opening song "Fell In Love Without You," carries the usual high energy we would expect from them, while the rest of the ablum contains both slower and quicker paced songs. As mentioned before, I don't think any member really sticks out as an instrumental virtuoso, and no instrument really attains the forefront besides the keyboard or the drum machine at times, simply because of their unique sound. Because of this frontman and vocalist Justin Pierre's voice takes the forefront, which is also a nice change from a lot of rock bands, and puts Motion City in more of the pop category for it's focus on vocals. // 9

Lyrics: MCS's lyrics are one of the biggest hooks to me, I've always enjoyed the quirky and introspective themes they convey. This new album is no exception. If you are looking for Quirkey listen to "Calling All Cops," which reminds me of "Capital H." Some of my favorite lyrics are from a solo piano track "The Conversation," which ends with "Don't ever change, the way you are, I've never loved anyone more." Very poetic. Introspective lyrics are abound especially on "Can't Finish What You Started," and the CD titled song "Even if it Kills me." Another lyrically enjoyable song is "Antonia," which is almost like a laundry list of things the lyricist likes about his wife. // 9

Overall Impression: I am a big MCS fan so I'm a little biased. I really like this album and I think it's a breath of fresh air for a genre crowded with such similiar sounding bands. I can't think of any other band that sounds like MCS (besides a couple of minor influences). My suggestion: check out their singles "Broken Heart," and "This is for Real," and if you like what you hear purchase this album. Heck it was only $10 at Target when I got it! // 9

Even If It Kills Me Reviewed by: xXsumguyXx, on november 02, 2007

Sound: I would first like to start off by saying this is my first review posted online, and I everyone finds this very useful. Now, on to the CD. Overall sound was kind of more, alternative on this album. The first album, "Commit To Memory", was more upbeat. This album still has upbeat songs but also has a very slow piano song, titled "The Conversation." None of the guitar work is really difficult. The drums seem kind of basic. In Motion City Soundtrack's defense, this album wasn't made for that. I think this is a good jump for Motion City Soundtrack. // 8

Lyrics: Every song tells a story. Most songs sound really upbeat and happy but the lyrics tell of a dramatic moment. It is a really good album. It has sad parts but isn't emo. I was really impressed with the vocalist's vocal ability. I honestly wasn't expecting that. // 10

Overall Impression: I feel this is my favorite album from Motion City Soundtrack. This album deffinitely has the best lyrics of anything in their past work. I really love that all of the songs are good. I have some I like more than others but there isn't one bad song on the album. This is one my few CDs that I can put in and let it just play through. My favorite song is probably, "This is for real." The guitars sound good and the lyrics are really fun to listen to. If I were to lose this album, I probably would buy this album again or try to bum it off of one my friends. It is a really good album and diserves a listen. Thank you Motion City Soundtrack. // 9

Even If It Kills Me Reviewed by: XxCarryOnHome, on november 05, 2007

Sound: Let me first start by saying, the first time I heard this album I hated it. Motion City Soundtrack is my favorite band and I preorder the CD and everything; I skipped after-school activities to come home and listen to it and I was seriously disappointed. I was looking for insight into love and loss as I always expect from this band and on that note they just didn't deliver. On my second listen, I read the lyrics as I listened and noticed a lot of political and other influences have shaped this band from just another pop-punk group singing about relationships to a group that really tries to share how they feel about the world around us and the dire situation we're in when it comes to things like environmental awareness. The songs "Hello Helicopter" and "Calling All Cops" caught my attention because they veer so much from typical MCS. All in all, Motion City Soundtrack has retained their place as the best band of the last decade in my eyes. On this album they've shown their ability to grow and develop as people and as a band as well. // 8

Lyrics: As a lyricist myself the first thing I noticed is that Justin Pierre is an absolute genious. He refuses to follow in the footsteps of so many bands who seem to think using all rhyming words makes the music work, they use words that actually mean something and make sense without sounding too forced. The way they are able to use big words without sounding forced or obnoxious amazes me. // 10

Overall Impression: This album isn't my favorite MCS one by far; as a whole I am The Movie was much better but some songs that are absolutely standout and better than anything I've ever heard by them. Generally, I would suggest listening to "Point Of Extinction", "Even If It Kills Me", "It Had To Be You", and "Fell In Love Without You". If you've been turned off from buying this alubm as I was after hearing the first two singles, don't be discouraged; they're the worst songs on the entire album. Basically, buy it. Give it a shot. // 9

Even If It Kills Me Reviewed by: brian12327, on november 10, 2008

Sound: I think that the sound is a little more popish than their other cd's. But I don't mean that in a bad way, they still have their punk roots in the music. I believe that this CD was one of the best of 2007. It is the first one that Justin has written the lyrics for sober. it's very innovated the music goes great with the lyrics and the synth goes great with all the guitars and the drums. // 8

Lyrics: Well I don't think that they never dissapoint me in lyrics. Justin starts out the song about falling in love. And ends the CD about him being sober and he wants to stay sober even if it kills him. The lyrics go great with everything on almost every song but Calling All Cops. I just think that song doesn't belong on the CD. All the songs have a different feel for them and it can go from depressing to even more depressing. I think this story tells a story about my life in a way. But justin has a great clean voice like he always does and it's nice to hear other artist came in and helped out. // 9

Overall Impression: This one is far more superior to the other CD's Motion City Soundtrack has made. The most impressive songs on the album are Can't Finish What You Started, Hello Helicopter, The Conversation, and Even If It Kills Me. The thing I love about this CD is everything but Calling All Cops. I hate that song with a passion. If I lost or it got stolen I would re-buy it without a doubt. // 10

More Motion City Soundtrack reviews rating latest review