Go Review

7.7
 7.1
review (1) 7 comments vote for this album:
Go Reviewed by: Bair, on july 09, 2012

Sound: It's revenge of the sith with MCS's fifth studio album, "Go". The boys haven't strayed far from the tried and true method of poppy riffs and Justin's imaginative, metaphorical writing style. Each song has a story to tell and progresses the record in a well paced manner. The deluxe disc offers three additional tracks, all of which, in my opinion, deserve to be on the main track list. To understand the musical style on "Go" you can read over reviews from all four past records. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrical content is the main focal point of this album, as it wraps up Justin's struggle with substance abuse over the past decade. From manic, paranoid behavior in the first two albums which made us all sit up and listen, all the way to detox and rehab on the last album ("My Dinosaur Life"), it now has come full circle. (I'm excluding "Even If It Kills Me" because no one really understood where they were going with that one.) "Go" presents the final chapter of the battle with his recovery and new sense of well being. // 7

Overall Impression: In comparison to other albums in the Motion City discography, "Go" falls short of offering anything new and/or exciting. Songs such as "Happy Anniversary" involve the death of a loved one which is a far cry from the bands usual love ballad. The two tracks that stood out for me were "The Coma Kid" and the first single "True Romance", don't ask me why. I'm happy they haven't gone in a different direction over the years but also feel a bit lost because the album feels like an ending of an era. Who knows? Maybe the next album will be a relapse and the whole process will start of again. // 8

More Motion City Soundtrack reviews rating latest review