My Dinosaur Life Review

Label: Columbia
 9.1
 8.9
My Dinosaur Life Reviewed by: ashowe, on january 20, 2010

Sound: This album was written by the five members of Motion City Soundtrack, produced by Mark Hoppus of Blink-182 fame, and mixed by the legendary Andy Wallace. If that isn't enough to describe just how undeniably accessible and fun "My Dinosaur Life" is, then I must continue. This album seems to find Motion City Soundtrack coming through a difficult time, but with a but sunnier outlook than that of their previous album, "Even If It Kills Me". The opening track, "Worker Bee", is not a typical super-fast sugar rush like the listener may be expecting if they are familiar with this band. It is, comparatively, a mid-tempo track in this context. It still has the quality that makes it perfect to open the gates on a great pop-rock album, and sets the tone for a bumpy yet enjoyable ride. "Her Words Destroyed My Planet", if I had to wager, will be recognized as a big hit sooner rather than later. If you don't believe me, watch the video. Try not to have flashbacks to the memorable Fall Out Boy video for "Dance, Dance". I dare you. "Disappear" may be the angriest track this band have ever released, or at least the most frenetic. The vocals sound like a panic attack that somehow managed to find its way to a microphone. Motion City Soundtrack shines brightly when they lay their hearts on the line. "Stand Too Close" will prove this, if you don't believe me. If you don't wistfully recall some lost love or recover a deep-seated pain from listening to "Skin and Bones", you're a robot, and in the words of William Murderface, robots are NOT to be trusted. The sound of this album has all of the guitar, synth and drums that you expect from this band. But as a fan, and a musician who started on four strings, I urge the listener to dig deep and appreciate the deftness of Matt Taylor's bass playing. Taylor's developing skill certainly anchors the sound of this album. // 10

Lyrics: Justin Pierre is a master lyricist not because he paints an abstract and dark canvas of enigmatic poetry. He is a master of his role as main lyric writer for Motion City Soundtrack because he tells his story with brutal honesty, down to every anal-retentive detail of whatever inspires the track in question. Whether it is the disillusioned but hopeful spirit conveyed in the key lines of opening track "Worker Bee" (I've been a good little worker bee / I deserve a gold star"), the pop-culture references that this band have become known for ("Her Words Destroyed My Planet", "Stand Too Close"), or the hilariously and nonchalantly profane "@!#?@!", the lyrics never let up in tone. My only gripe is that for a guy who claims to be sober and clean, Mr. Pierre seems to have a continuing fixation on drugs, evidenced in "Delirium". It's still a catchy and memorable track, but how many times can one man beat the same dead horse? // 9

Overall Impression: Is there a number higher than 10 that I can choose for this category? Honestly, this is my favorite Motion City Soundtrack album since the beginning of their career. "My Dinosaur Life" has established that not only are this group of outcast musicians and misfit Midwesterners catchy, but they are competent. Motion City Soundtrack has made an album that plays to every strong point of every note or lyric that this quintet have previously put to celluloid or computer. It shoe-gazes without being overly self-aware. It is bouncy, bouyant, and I can safely say it is brilliant. // 10

My Dinosaur Life Reviewed by: CameronQuinn, on july 02, 2010

Sound: The bands sound has a consistency throughout the album, which is a good and bad thing, good due to the fact that it is a pretty epic style and bad because you get bored of it eventually, but then you just fall in love with it again. Definately a pop-punk style not really similar to anyone I can think of. A quirky style of music for sure completely different to anything I've heard before. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics were quirky, the song @ @ made me laugh the first time I heard it, nerdiest song out there. Pulp Fiction has a ridiculous amount of pop culture references that it got confusing, but great if you get most of them, I looked half of them up. Skin and Bones had fantastic lyrics, at first I thought of it as pretty simple but the questions in it were deep and made me think of the situation they were in when they wrote it. Overall some pretty good, funny and meaningful lyrics. Sometimes you wanted it to be just a bit for serious but the=ats Motion City Soundtrack for you! // 7

Overall Impression: It is really hard to compare MCS to any other band, because they are a ridiculously different from any band I've ever heard. They aren't my favourite band but they are in the top 15 somewhere. Things I love about the album would be, The quirkiness,t the album cover! The difference from any other album/band out there and the songs, they are amazing. Things i hate about it, hmmm, the similarity between all the songs and the last song on the album 'The Weakends' I just couldn't get into it. // 8

My Dinosaur Life Reviewed by: ninjagayden777, on january 22, 2010

Sound: Already one of the most anticipated releases of the new year, Motion City have a lot to make up for. Even If It Kills Me was an awkward stumble away from formula, screaming, "look, we matured!" Unfortunately, the collection just didn't stand up, even disappointing long time fans like myself. Well, My Dinosaur Life is Motion City's REAL maturity album, going away from their basic moog-influenced sound and injecting some rough guitar and catchy melody to deliver the band's best release to date. // 9

Lyrics: Justin's lyrical stylings have always been a highlight of MCS, and on Dinosaur, he really lets himself go. From the raw catchiness of Disappear, to the profanity laiden @!#?@!, he exposes himself in a new way, giving listeners an even deeper look into his mind than he ever did with Even If It Kills Me or Commit This To Memory. His vocals also sound more raw this time around, giving the record kind of a punk rock feel while still remaining relentlessly catchy. // 10

Overall Impression: My Dinosaur Life is a very grand collection of songs from a very capable band. They have surpassed critical expectations, as well as my own. The band has given their formula a complete overhaul, putting more emphasis on guitar and drum work than the usually dominating Moog. The production value is terriffic, and honestly, I cannot find a single thing I truly hate about this album. Truly a candidate for rock album of the year. // 10

My Dinosaur Life Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 02, 2010

Sound: Imagine if Commit this to memory had a child with I am the Movie without all the Moog. It certainly makes up for the intensity that Even if it kills me, with plenty of pissed of songs. Literally. Like the first cd, it relies heavy on guitar and Justin's poetically disastrous lyrics. The overall feel reminds me of the second CD, with the same catchy hooks. If you enjoy MCS then you need to obtain this album in some form of media. The CD starts off with worker bee, a MCS sounding song talking about being a worker bee, conforming, all that great stuff. A life less ordinary is just catchy thats all there is too it. on track 3, Her word Destroyed my life, is when you start to see how the CD is shaping up. Another fabulous popish song about a break up with all the bells and whistles. (There really are whistles in it. Its great.) Disappear is my favorite song on the CD and by far the strongest. Its a barrage of music intertwined with spastic lyrics that show how much MCS have developed in writing. // 9

Lyrics: Motion City Soundtrack is about like a roller coaster. Movie was about... Um... Marry-go-rounds boom-boxes and perfect teeth. Commit This was when you began to see the lyrics evolve into a more personal approach and reflected on common life. Kills Me was about overcoming this, amazing women, and awesome pop culture references. So for My Dinosaur Life: Keep the pop-culture. Put in themes like pissed off, drugs and alcohol, f@! # you, and you know what? F @! # me to! Then add the pissed off edge like their original work. You know what? Double that! I wanna be pouring my heart out every song! I know you may be thinking, "that's not a very good formula. It sounds un-appealing." Well my friends, most drugs are made out of nasty things. Yes I'm comparing Justin Pierre's lyrics to narcotics. It not only seems to be produced similar, they have the same outcome. // 10

Overall Impression: In all honesty, this is my least favorite album. But just because it ranks behind the other 3 does mean its bad. At first I didn't like it. But as I set what I was doing aside and listened to each song individually, I was hooked. One catchy rift after another, doused in stunning lyrics, combined with my childhood memories of my first MCS CD, got me exactly where I wanted it to. If not careful the tracks may seem like they run together but closely inspected every track is almost a different story about the same thing. The only thing I hate is... Um... Nevermind. More importantly, I challenge you listen to this CD and not find 1 track you love. // 9

More Motion City Soundtrack reviews rating latest review