Infamous Review

7.7
 8.2
 7.1
Infamous Reviewed by: gaffers1996, on november 23, 2012

Sound: I'll start off by saying that this album is different to "Creatures". It was stated by Chris "Motionless" Cerulli just before it was released, and it has certainly followed through on that promise. "Creatures" was a great album, in my opinion, but it was filled with constant verse, chorus, breakdown progressions. Motionless have certainly taken it up a notch in this album and taken the more metal route, following in the footsteps of artists such as Slipknot and Marilyn Manson. And they have pulled it off. The album is very crisp and well made, and I feel that this change in style for the band is a good step forward, as they have always said how they are influenced by Marilyn Mason and Slipknot, but this is the first album to really bring this through. Some people may not like the change, but the change in genre will bring along new fans as well as keep many old ones too. Overall brilliant, and while there are still a couple of songs that have the same old routine, they have went all out on this album, and you can really tell. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are very well written, as they always are on a Motionless In White album, adopting a very dark theme to them, but there is a noticeable difference in the lyrics in some songs. For example, song like "Infamous" and "If It's Dead, We'Ll Kill It" bring back the old theme of telling the world that they don't care what they think and that no God nor any "higher society" celebrities are going to tell them what to do. However, in songs like "Sinematic" and "Black Damask (The Fog)", the lyrics are more like a break up gone wrong, and they are brought through even stronger with the impressive instruments in the background. Chris has improved his metal voice, giving it a deeper tone and going more towards Slipknot than Asking Alexandria, for example, but his clean vocals are still as good as they always have been, a very good performance in this aspect. // 9

Overall Impression: To compare with "Creatures" and the EP "When Love Meets Destruction" is a difficult one, as the genre of music they play across the albums has changed, so in their respective genres, they are both top class albums. If I were to compare it with other artists, I would say it's a mix of Slipknot and Marilyn Manson, with an element of old Motionless In White still there to give it that feel of making the album their own. In my opinion, the most impressive songs on the album are "Underdog", "Burned At Both Ends" and "A-M-E-R-I-C-A" as they all incorporate what made us love Motionless In White in the first place, with the new sound they have adapted. I love the album as a whole, a lot of time was spent on it and you can definitely tell that they worked as hard as they could on this album, my only issue really is that I don't feel the instruments are performing to the same level as they have in previous albums, while still by no means simple, I don't think that it is as complicated or impressive as it used to be, but it sounds brilliant regardless. If this album was stolen or lost, I would definitely go out and buy a new copy when I could, as it is the kind of album that has much replay value, and it something that could easily be listened to over again. // 8

Infamous Reviewed by: 7YD-GUITAR, on november 23, 2012

Sound: On their new they have changed sound a little bit. "Chris" sounds like Marilyn Manson on a few of the songs. The album has story of everything they don't like about the world lately. They album has a lot of swift changes in the songs. Such as the beginning to "Black Damask (Fog)" goes from a quiet piano intro straight in to high gear. Alternative Press gave "Infamous" 4 out of 5 stars, saying that "Motionless In White" have definitely proven their point and carried it out well and that it sounds similar to Marilyn Manson. // 10

Lyrics: Chris's lyrics on the album are very blunt. He talks about things he doesn't like in America, like the song "A-M-E-R-I-C-A". He says "We take medication to be someone else And we take off our clothes to pay for the bills Where downloading content will earn you a sentence And herb is free in the Hollywood hills". In the song "Devil's Night" they talk about all the people in the world who they don't like, "We are here And we have come to scare you to death Because that's what you deserve You f--king fake a-s hypocrites". // 9

Overall Impression: The album sounds like if Marilyn Manson had a baby with "Creatures" and tuned down a little it would be "Infamous". The album releases, may be misleading because they are the few of the songs that are fast and upbeat with screaming. I love the album because they just don't care what anyone thinks of them and I like how blunt the lyrics are towards people. If this album was stolen or I lost it, it would be a must to go re-buy it. The album is another step for metal core music being on top. And they are one of the biggest competitors. // 8

Infamous Reviewed by: Batvanvaiych, on november 28, 2012

Sound: "Infamous" is Motionless In White's second full length release following the highly acclaimed "Creatures" from 2010. Fronted by Chris "Motionless" Cerulli the sextet from Scranton Pa, delivery in this humble opinion - a solid yet not ground breaking entry into the metal-core genre during the late 2012 rush. Infamous takes elements similar to long time legend of shock-rock Marilyn Manson (particularly in Chris' new found vocal style) and delivers a consistent stream of passable material that seems to outweigh most competition upon its first few weeks of public release. Although not as strong foundation-wise as "Creatures", "Infamous" has a slightly more varied structure in its twelve track list, while still holding dear to classic elements such as the eerie synthesizer tones, and horror elements of their lyrics and composition. // 7

Lyrics: As the primary lyricist and vocalist of MiW, Chris Motionless stays true to his 'in your face' demeanor regarding his lyrical composition. Songs like "Devil's Night" and "The Divine Infection" take public culture by the groin and twists. On the other side of the coin, "Puppets 2" (featuring Bjorn Speed Strid of Soilwork) continues the horror-fantasy theme that was so prevalent in "Creatures" as a direct sequel to the original "Puppets" and provides a breathe of fresh air as a middle-track away from the consistently evident Manson-esque vocal techniques, while tracks like "Hatef**k" provide a sullenly seen sexual aspect to MiW music providing a more personable aspect. Over all the lyrical department of this album - music like the music, is acceptable and blends well with the converse, but unfortunately seems to lack as far as real insightful elements. Be it the social tolerance depicted in "Immaculate Misconception" the fantasy rendered in "Scissorhands", "Abigail", "We Come Out At Night", or the original "Puppets" - these lyrics although properly written and executed just don't have the chutzpah that the original release had. // 7

Overall Impression: Over all, this album stands on its own as one recommended for purchase for any fan of the current Metalcore genre such as myself. If you're expecting another breakthrough recording by Motionless, you will quite probably come out disappointed, however as compared to other releases of similar genre such as Issues "Black Diamonds", and Woe Is Me's "Genesi[s]" releases on the same day and the following week respectively - "Infamous" appears to trump both releases in quality, originality, and reception. Those who are fans of Motionless In White will find themselves syncing a few songs out of the twelve song list to their media players, but will not be satisfied with each individual track like they might have been with their previous endeavor. Furthermore, this is likely not the album to show your friends the 'better' side of metal-core and isn't likely to create new fans for the band, but add to the enjoyment of those who already existed. In conclusion - out of the other material released like-wise, this will likely top the charts but will not be nominated for any awards on its own merit. An overall disappointing month for the metalcore genre, yet if there was to be a silver lining - "Infamous" will be it.

// 8