Saints Of Los Angeles Review

motley crue: Saints Of Los Angeles
Release Date: Jun 24, 2008
Label: Motley Records
Genres: Glam, Sleaze, Hard Rock, Hair Metal
Saints of Los Angeles, the latest album by hair metal band, Motley Crue, serves as a reminder that the quad of Vince, Neil, Nicky and Tommy still has something to offer the music business.
 Lyrics: 8.4
 8.3
 8.3
 8.2
Saints Of Los Angeles Reviewed by: rocklvson, on june 30, 2008

Sound: I suppose you could say that Motley Crue is like a fine wine, they have gotten better with time. I have heard countless attempts to try and pinpoint the sound of this album, but the truth is, it is like an evolved "Dr. Feelgood". The point of the album is basically that each track is loosely based on the Motley Crue autobiography "The Dirt". The album contains all original members, who are all back and as asskickin' as ever. Nikki's bass lines are snotty and thunderdous. Mick's guitarwork is sleazy as ever with some of his best solo's ever. Tommy's drums are earthshakers and Vince is still shreikin' his ass off! // 10

Lyrics: As stated above, each track is loosely based on a chapter from "The Dirt". 01. L.A.M.F - the basic intro to most awesome Crue albums. Some examples being "Shout At The Devil" and "Dr.Feelgood". 02. Face Down In The Dirt - starting off with a killer bass line and then breaking into lyrics that just scream rebel! "I wanna make a lotta money/But I don't wanna go to school/I don't wanna get a real job/I don't wanna be you." 03. What's It Gonna Take - a song that seems almost a bit unusual for the Crue to play. However, it's still infectious as Hell. It reminds me of some of the stuff on Warrant's "Born Again". 04. Down At The Whisky - this song is also a bit unusual for the Crue. But also still very infectious. The lyrics to this are very self explanatory, talking about how they ruled the Strip and played rocked the Whisky-A-Go-Go. 05. Saints Of Los Angeles - the title track, the album was actually originally supposed to be called "The Dirt". Anyway, this song is one of the biggest ass kickers on the whole album! With a rockin' riff and a catchy chorus, this song dominates! 06. Mother F--ker Of The Year - this song is another one of my favorites on the album. The lyrics basically describe being hated and loving it! Talk about awesome. 07. The Animal In Me - the power ballad of the album. But what can I say? It is still a rockin' song. It seems like a song that everyone can relate to at some point. Some of the lyrics of this song actually came from text messages between Nikki and his Soul Mate, Kat Von D. 08. Welcome To The Machine - if you've read "The Dirt", their is a chapter in which Nikki, I believe it is, talks about how the music industry is like one big machine. "Welcome to the machine, once it sucks you in, you'll never leave." 09. Just Another Psycho - my all-time favorite track on this record. The song is completely infectious, asskickin', badass, it's just amazing. It starts off with a rockin' riff, and breaks into the chorus riff. The verse riffs are killer. And the lyrics, psychotic. 10. Chicks = Trouble - this is something that can be more recognized in "The Heroin Diaries" as Nikki repeatedly says that "Chicks = Trouble". This song has one of the best riffs on the album, and is another ass kicker. 11. This Ain't A Love Song - honestly, not one of the most standout songs on the album. But, it is still totally Crue, "This ain't a love song, it's just a f--k song!" 12. White Trash Circus - another one of my favorite tracks. Another Motley tune, which talks about stealing chicks and not giving two shits. 13. Goin' Out Swingin' - the album was actually pushed back a week so that this track could be added. Thank God. This album would not be complete without this track. However, it's not to say that the Crue is leaving, but it's saying there is a new beginning for The Crue. Talk about Goin' out swingin'. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is 100% Motley Crue. They are back and better than they've been in so long. This album cannot compare with anything today because it's just too damn good! The best tracks on here I would have to say are Just Another Psycho, Saints of Los Angeles, Mother f--ker of the Year, The Animal in Me, White Trash Circus, What's it Gonna Take, Face Down in the Dirt, and Goin' out Swingin'. OK, so most of the album just kicks ass! I gotta say, I love everything about this album. It is raw, pure, and it is, most importantly, Motley Crue. If this were stolen, I would track down who did it, beat their face into the Dirt, take the album back, and buy another one just for fun! // 10

Saints Of Los Angeles Reviewed by: UG Team, on june 30, 2008

Sound: Motley Crue, the enigmatically mystical '80s hair metal band has released Saints Of Los Angeles to an apparent success. In spite of some minor qualms the album is somewhat of a musical return to the glory years of 1984-1991; whether the modern music consumer is prepared to establish the album as a return to the financial heights of the same period is a different facet story. From a production perspective, one cannot fault Motley Crue; the band is, as ever, the pounding hard rock outfit that we know and love. Perhaps the apex of the album, in terms of anthemic rock, is Just Another Psycho -- a fantastic testament to the Crue's prevailing talent to pen intimidating verses and choruses that are catchy without being heartless. It would be erroneous to discuss Motley Crue without referring to the eternally idiosyncratic guitar tone of Mick Mars, essentially the driving force behind songs such as Just Another Psycho and Chicks=Trouble. Another track worthy of a notable commendation is Face Down In The Dirt, which represents the teenage angst and fury that has never left Motley Crue; the track is huge, and unlike many of the band's contemporaries, Motley Crue still has the soul to pull it off. The unfortunate relation to Face Down In The Dirt is the besmirching What's it Gonna Take that follows it; alas, this is but a minor qualm. The success of Saints of Los Angeles resides in Motley Crue's aptitude and proficiency for capturing the band's intensive live act on record. This collection of songs is vulnerable to a couple of duds (This Ain't A Love Song, White Trash Circus), but considering that a multitude of hair metal bands have sold albums on the back of the success of one single, Motley Crue should not be scorned. Saints of Los Angeles ends on a high note, and Motley Crue really does go out swingin'. // 8

Lyrics: Somewhat fatuously, the band is still prone to songs centred on themes such as adolescence (Face Down in the Dirt), and whilst this is by no means categorically abhorrent, one does question why Motley Crue didn't pen the song back when starting out. My solution to this is that it's a reflection on why the band was conceived, and like the Sex Pistols before them, the Crue has no pretension regarding the concepts of fame, money and commercialism. The bottom line is that nobody is interested in Motley Crue for originality or intellectual stimulation; but somehow, Just Another Psycho is used to great effect to convey feelings of insanity, and provides the listener with munificent enjoyment in the process. However, it is notable, and perhaps even enlightening that all of the lyrics appear to have external writer's influence upon them. How much of this album was lyrically written by Motley Crue remains recondite, and for such ambiguity, Motley Crue loses a point or two lyrically speaking. // 6

Overall Impression: Vince, Neil, Nicky and Tommy have come a long way since their early days. The fact of the matter is that this is easily the best hair metal album to be released in some time, and it is fitting that Motley Crue is the source. In what is essentially an album straight from the '80s, the Crue sounds refined, and, despite the band's debauchery and profuse drug intake over the years, has aged like the sophisticated fine wine that makes you feel oh so filthy. // 7

- Sam Agini aka ss311 (c) 2008

Saints Of Los Angeles Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 30, 2008

Sound: To me Motley Crue has changed their sound when it comes to this album, Saint of Los Angeles. Their sound falls so hard into the mainstream rock that the only recognizable portion of Motley are Vince Neil's cat growls within the songs. Since Nikki Sixx is pretty much the leader of everything Motley does as far as music, his musical tastes have not rubbed off on the group but have more likely taken control over everything that is heard from them. Music styles are similar to New Tattoo than any other album before it. Some of the songs can fall into different categories of music genres. "Down at the Whiskey" and "The Animal in Me" are songs that sound close to country/rock like Bon Jovi did these recent years. "Welcome to the Machine" sounds like a rip off from the once great Velvet Revolver. "What's it gonna take" sounds like Motley played Guitar Hero II too many times because it sounds exactly like the alternative rock band, The Toadies' "Possum Kingdom." The there are some really cool songs from the album which include: "Face down in the dirt" "Saints of Los Angles" "MF of the year" "Just another Psycho" and "Goin' out Swingin'." If you're not a fan of the wah wah pedal, then do not listen to this album, it gets over used. // 6

Lyrics: Since the lyrics were mostly written by Nikki Sixx, the leader, you can expect some amounts of emotion to be placed into each song like his other band, Sixx A.M., right? Wrong. This isn't a ballad album. None of the lyrics fall into the classic 'power ballad' category. Most of the lyrics on this album fit with each song. The songs seem to follow the concept of Motley's career span. Their story of getting started as a band, performing at local clubs, becoming the bad boys of the Sunset Strip, finally getting a record deal and becoming the poster boys of "Hair" metal, the wild times in between, and finally saying that they aren't going to die along with all the other '80s pop metal bands. Vince Neil, lead singer, sounds like he dropped most of his high notes that he has been known to do from hearing early Motley albums and his solo album. His classic cat growl is still present in a good number of the songs and never gets over used to the point of saying, "shut up". Thankfully his voice has never gone south on a studio recording. // 7

Overall Impression: From hearing earlier Motley Crue albums, nothing will compare with Girls, Girls, Girls. It maybe that they do not have the ambiance around them that they did back when they were the kings of popular metal but it seems that this is not even a step above their last album eight years ago. Hands down, the two most impressive songs are "Goin' out Swingin'" and "Just another Psycho". Both songs aren't lyricly the greatest in the world or have the best guitar techniques but they fit well. The guitar solos are nothing compared to modern players but still have enough forms of emotion for kids who just picked up the guitar. The thing I like most about this album was that it came with a DVD as a bonus, even though I had seen everthing on the DVD already. If this CD were cracked from the inner hole to a quarter of an inch out, I would not buy another one and just listen to the songs that were not messed up. // 7

Saints Of Los Angeles Reviewed by: slashhudson977, on august 20, 2008

Sound: Well if I am honest, this is the first album I have bought by motley crue. Since then I have bought some more, but, I found this to be their best. It is a look at their early career. When they were first making it in places like the Troubadour and The Whisky. Also where Guns n Roses hit the scene. They're dirty, heavy rock really comes through and Vince's variables in voice really complements the music. // 8

Lyrics: 01. L.A.M.F - a disgusting intro to the CD. Brilliant. 02. Face Down In The Dirt - begins with a catchy bass line which I, being a guitar player first and foremost, have checked out to play on bass. "It's a dirty job but someones gotta do it" is whispered through the mic before kicking into the verse. Not a bad song but not the best on the album. 03. What's It Gonna Take - pretty much about Motley trrying to release their first hit - their metaphor about a time bomb I enjoy. The Mars' guitar is enjoyable in this song. 04. Down At The Whisky - awesome song. vince's almost soft vocals really impressive. the hook 'do you remember when' really is catchy. The song is pretty much about when they used to play gigs at the whisky, before the fame, when it was simple. "We never made a dime, but god we had a good time" one of the best songs on the album. 05. Saints Of Los Angeles - Motley thought it was good enough to name the entire album after it; I totally agree, the gang vocals at the beginning is a sign of things to come. The first line "Tonight is gonna be a fight" really shows what the song is gonna show, listen to Tommy on drums and you'll see the complexity of some of their music. The final line hits home nicely. 06. Mutherf--ker Of The Year - completes a trilogy of great songs. Nikki and Mick play such a heavy dark bass line/guitar riff that along with Vinces singing the overall sound is menacing. It really is great. Then the chorus is outstanding so catchy and with a wonderful melody. The lyrics outline being bad and proud! This is my favourite song on the whole album, and, my favourite song by Motley Crue. You can find it top of my most played on iTunes already. 07. The Animal In Me - the intro is immense and Vince comes in once more with awesome vocals, the choppy chords in the background by mick mars are simple yet affective, not my fave song but very listenable. 08. Welcome To The Machine - I believe talks about the music industry, "Once it sucks you in you'll never leave". This is a good song and the vocals are memorable. Also worth mentioning the badass guitar solo in here, I'm not proud to admit I cannot work it out, anyone who can tab it by all means. 09. Just Another Psycho - the intro kicks the unkickable ass so to speak, I've gotta say this song leaves an impression of mayhem, psychotic mayhem again the mixture of soft and rough vocals make this song what it is. 10. Chicks = Trouble - I'm not sure about this song, nice intro, vince's shriek makes your spine shiver, the title is completley true haha. But it's missing some Motley magic. 11. This Ain't A Love Song - what more could you need? Great vocals, kick ass guitar and bass, heavy metal drums, awesome lyrics? This is the song for you. 12. White Trash Circus - excellent. Good intro funny, relatable lyrics. "We're the white trash circus don't give a damn". "We're the voice in your head," I think sends a great vibe throughout the song. 13. Goin' Out Swingin' - I didn't no this but reading Rocklvson's review this song delayed the entire album, it's more of the same yet in no way repeatative another impressive song and a great end to the album not just because of the fitting name. // 10

Overall Impression: Motley Crue could be described as a mix between Guns N' Roses and Metallica but that wouldn't be fair. They're a brilliant band better than ever I'm just disapointed that atleast in the UK their isn't much of a buzz about S.O.L.A the only Rock N' Roll TV show Kerrang doesn't play Saints Of Los Angeles or Mutherf--ker Of The Year their two released singles as of this day. My album can't be stolen because I bought it in Download format online. But if it were an album and it got stolen I would indeed buy it again it is an outstanding album and I highly recommend it. // 9

Saints Of Los Angeles Reviewed by: Vince Sixx, on june 30, 2008

Sound: Motley Crue has always been (aside from Generation Swine) a hard hitting, hard rock/metal band. Saints of Los Angeles is their new album, 8 years after New Tattoo. The album is meant to go alone with The Dirt, the autobiography of Motley Crue. In Saints of Los Angeles, there are some new tones produced by Mick Mars mostly. There is more of a metal feel in quite a few of the songs. The song was promised to be as raw as the earlier albums, and this album, although good, fails to deliver on this promise. SOLA is more modern and harder than the last couple of albums. It is comparable to Dr. Feelgood in the sound. // 7

Lyrics: It was said that this album is supposed to go along with their autobiography, and it definitely fits. The song order goes right along with the book. The lyrics take you into a story of the rise, fall, and deeper fall of Motley Crue. Nikki Sixx is a great writer, not the best, but Vince Neil sings his lyrics like Vince wrote them himself. // 9

Overall Impression: As stated before, this album compares with Dr. Feelgood with the music, but has a lot more of a metal feel to it. Not metal as in classic, Iron Maiden or Metallica style, but more modern rock/metal. The best songs from this album are of course, the title track Saints Of Los Angeles, Just Another Psycho, and Face Down in the Dirt. If it were stolen, I'd hunt the little somethingsomething down and beat it out of him or her. // 9

Saints Of Los Angeles Reviewed by: JimMRocks, on june 30, 2008

Sound: This just came out today, and I knew I had to be the first to review it. So here goes. It's Motley Crue, They inspired many to Smoke in the Boy's Room, made a deal with Dr. Feelgood, and felt they needed to kickstart their career after their most recent album. So they came up with "Saints of Los Angeles", which hit home sweet home (All these song references are coincidental). You've most likely already heard they're first single "Saints Of Los Angeles", or maybe "Down at the Whiskey". But you can tell that those tracks were the more represetive tracks on the album, it seemed that they paid a little bit more attention to those than the others, but they're still good. The sound is a bit more punky than before. The second track on the record, (the first actual song), "Face Down In The Dirt", sounds very punk influenced from Tommy Lee's drumming, but still a great track. The sound is very far from their '80s hits. It's tuned down a bit, maybe a genre change? You can decide that. I prefer Dr. Feelgood, but overall a really good sound from these guys on this one. // 8

Lyrics: Vince Neil's voice will never fade away. He still sounds the same as when he did when we first heard him. The lyrics are quite entertaining to be honest. It's raw, like their earlier work, but a bit more matured. Don't ask me how they pulled that off, just enjoy the music. The lyrics are fun because it tells the story of how these guys came up (so do most of their other albums, but there's always something different). They managed to write some really cool lyrics. This album won't disapoint you. // 9

Overall Impression: Give this album some time, let it sink in. It's a great album. So it's no Dr. Feelgood, or Theatre of Pain, or whatever else you like from them, but it's the Crue, it's Saints of Los Angeles, and it came out before Chinese Democracy, so go buy it and support one of the coolest and most influential bands of the '80s. Every track stands out for how it sounds different, the lyrics are in your face, but chilled out, a really cool combination to listen to from these guys. Though I will say I was a bit disapointed to not really hear that many solos from Mick Mars, he still provides great rythm and catchy riffs in a lot of the songs. I would definitally buy this album again if something happened to it. It also provides a schedule for Crue Fest, and comes with a free poster inside. Add this to your collection of kick-ass CD's that you have goin on. Get off UG, get to your local music store, and pick this thing up. // 9

Saints Of Los Angeles Reviewed by: dustnbones316, on june 30, 2008

Sound: The original members of Motley Crue are back and sound just as good as ever in their first album of all original material in a decade. The idea behind "Saints Of Los Angeles" is that the songs are about stories told in their biography "The Dirt". So, although it's not a must to have read the book, it helps a little when it comes to certain songs. Also, the styles used on the album are taken from all different parts of the career. Some songs sound like they could come off of "Shout At The Devil" while others may belong on "Generation Swine", but no songs are really repeats of past songs. // 9

Lyrics: All Motley Crue fans know that Nikki Sixx is a master song writer and he continues to shine on this album. Although some lyrics are kind of cheesy (such as "Down At The Whisky") they all fit with the music well enough so nothing really seems out of place. Vince Neil sounded good on this album, but knowing he hasn't been that good live recently loses some points for him. // 8

Overall Impression: As I had said before, the album takes styles from all albums throughout the Crue's past, but never really repeat a song in particular. Some of the highlight's include "Saints Of Los Angeles", "Mutherf--ker Of The Year", "Welcome to the Machine", "Just Another Psycho", and "Goin' Out Swingin'". The song that I didn't absolutely enjoy was "White Trash Circus". I don't hate it, but it's my least favorite from the album. It's a decent song, but not their best. // 9

More Motley Crue reviews rating latest review