Shout At The Devil Review

Released: 1983
Label: Motley/Beyond
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Pop-Metal, Album Rock
Shout at the Devil displays their sleazy, notorious (yet quite entertaining) metal at its best.
 Lyrics: 8.8
 9.1
 9.4
 8.7
Shout At The Devil Reviewed by: carrotcrow13, on march 06, 2006

Sound: Shout At The Devil's sound is unlike anything ever heard before. Truley brings out the sleaze and grittiness of Motley Crue. The guitar has that real squeal and screetch to it. Tommy Lee's drums have that hollowed out yet thump you can't get out of your head. Od course there's also Vince Neil's voice. Wailing and moaning in maybe the best fashion ever. The styles found in the album go on and on. A few to boot though would be metal, hair metal, rock, and maybe even heavy metal. Really this album innovated the crunch that Mick Mars' guitar screams to most modern day bands that are popular. // 10

Lyrics: Overall the lyrics are perfect. Nikki goes 110% all out to write a total masterpiece. Every lyric is pefectly matched for the riff and the beat. Vince Neil again gives you that dark heavy scream from down beneath himself. Neil really just blows you away with his skills as a singer to go up and down the vocal chart. Shout's chorous has that haunting echo that really echos through your speakers. // 10

Overall Impression: Shout At The Devil was groundbreaking. This album's impact can be only really compared to Guns N' Roses Apetite For Destruction. These songs are all classics and are almost embedded into your skull right away. After a spin of this cd you're guaranteed to be singing these songs all day long. You really get the sleaze out of this album and it makes you just want to kick some ass and just find yourself wanting more and more. There are so many things to love about the album such as: the guitar riffs, solos, Vince's singing, Tommy's druming, the hard and heavy lyrics, chorous, the great sexual charge, and the satanic look. Honestly there is nothing to hate about this album its gold solid perfect. If this CD were stolen I would buy it again and lock it up nice and tight in a shiny vault. // 10

Shout At The Devil Reviewed by: angusheeyaa35, on october 24, 2008

Sound: Shout at the Devil is the second studio album by Motley Crue, the worlds most notorious rock band. The majority of diehard fans would label this as their favorite of the 'Crue records, mainly due to it being the straight forward, intensely threatening sonic attack that it is. Released in September of '83 and produced by Tom Werman (Ted Nugent, Twisted Sister) 'Shout' exists as a rawly produced, brief assault on the senses. Topics covered throughout the album include sex, violence, drugs and rebellion; all the beautiful things associated with teenagers throughout the 80's. While the riff-orientated style of Motley Crue isn't brilliant, it doesn't have to be. On this album, pure adrenaline emanates from the record, making up for any technical insecurities the band may have. One impressive feature of the album is the instrumental piece by guitarist Mick Mars, showing some signs of diversity within the growing band. Songs: 01.In The Beginning: a short introductory track, setting a dark tone for the remainder of the album. 02.Shout At The Devil: the title track, and one of the Crue's most well known riff anthems. Re-worked in '97, but there's nothing quite like the original. Great way to set a platform for a heavy metal album. 7.5/10. 03.Looks That Kill: the first single from the album, and an absolute Motley Crue classic. Accompanied by a highly theatrical video, this track set Motley Crue on their rapid rise to fame. Infectious riff-age here, folks. 9/10. 04.Bastard: - another beauty from the near faultless SATD, and one of my personal favorites from the album. This track in particular showcases the raw tenacity of heavy metal's wildest band. Vintage 'Crue. 9/10. 05.God Bless The Children Of The Beast: the instrumental piece by guitarist Mick Mars. For a minute and a half of multilayered riffing, it's actually quite interesting. Some may argue it spoils the rampage of the opening few songs, but I see it as the breather the album needed. 7/10. 06.Helter Skelter: a cover of the famous Beatles song. I understand this may be Motley Crue's way of giving back to their forefathers, but if anything, this track spoils the faultless run of the opening tracks; not the instrumental. A decent cover, but imagine the possibilities of another home grown classic which may have taken it's spot. 6.5/10. 07.Red Hot: never fear, the mediocrity begins and ends with the Beatles cover. Red Hot is yet another example of how damaging and brutal Nikki Sixx may be with his songwriting. A relentless barrage of heavy metal on this one. 8/10. 08.Too Young To Fall In Love: the second single, and arguably the strongest cut from the album. Also accompanied by an impressive video, this track contains everything that makes Motley Crue what it is - the opening riff in particular. Great tune. 9/10. 09.Knock 'Em Dead Kid: the hits continue, as the 'Crue roll through another set of classic cuts of heavy metal; for the second time on one album! Powerful, reliable Motley Crue on this solid number. 8/10. 10.Ten Seconds To Love: Nikki Sixx, take a bow. A 7th track on the one album which must be considered classic heavy metal; how's that for efficient songwriting. Once again, the riff makes the song, and Vince Neil does a particularly nice job in belting out this one. 9/10. 11.Danger: all good things must come to an end. A more sedate tune, Danger is a fitting way to close the album. With contributions from both Vince Neil and Mick Mars on this one, chief songwriter Nikki Sixx masterfully rounds off a great achievement in heavy metal songwriting. Only one song managed to dull the atmosphere; and Sixx didn't even write it! Anyway, solid closer. 7.5/10. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics of this album, most of which penned by bassist Nikki Sixx, deal with topics ranging from the devil, to sex. All phrases within the album seem to be appropriate to the nature of the album, so no complaints here. As for Vince Neil, SATD is the best display of his skills as a vocalist. On this record, a more dedicated, passionate singer seems to be screaming the words to these heavy metal classics. // 8

Overall Impression: Shout At The Devil has to be the best record released by Motley Crue. In reality, they never came close to re-living this heavy metal masterpiece, due in part to a decision to write more audience friendly tunes. Dr. Feelgood comes close, but in truth... Motley Crue never sounded quite as dangerous as they have here. // 9

Shout At The Devil Reviewed by: Bluesstringer88, on august 15, 2005

Sound: This album is was a breakthrough for Motley Crue. The cynical guitar riffs in the title track makes it one of the best songs on the album. Vince Neil is almost perfect on Too Young To Fall In Love, another great song on this album. God Bless The Children Of The Beast is a great instrumental tune, which shifts gears to an excellent guitarist in Mick Mars. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on the title track are mind-melting, but some of the tracks are not the best Nikki Sixx has written. // 6

Overall Impression: Shout At The Devil is displays the mind-blowing effect of pop-metal. Motley Crue ruled the hair metal stage after the release of this album. This is probably the best Motley Crue album so far. There are so many great songs on this album, which allows you to listen to the album through and through. The extra songs that didnt make the album are also great. // 10

Shout At The Devil Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 24, 2005

Sound: For sure their most, raw and heavy album. Title track Shout At The Devil blew everyone away in '83. The riff's of Red Hot went well with Tommys amazing ability to stomp those double-kickers. Knock'Em Dead (Kid) was a really heavy almost punk colliding with metal ballad that anyone can enjoy. Vince was always on top with lyrics and sounding great. Bastard was excellent, great guitar line. Ten Seconds To Love also had a punkish riff to it. Overall I listend to everysingle song and I never skipped on song. Like most Motley albums, it was killer and had lots of energy. // 10

Lyrics: Vince sang great. The lyrics were brilliant. For example "Bastard: Out go the lights, in goes my knife, pull out his life, consider that bastard dead." Knock'Em Dead kid wasn't as creative but it was still some heavy stuff: In the heat of the night, you went and blackend my eyes, well not I'm back I'm back I'm back and I'm coming your way, well now I'm super charged, might just explode in your face, and I'm primed for hate. Or Red Hot: Fight for the black shark, see what evil brings, cant you see were out for blood, love from a shotgun, license to killer, can't you see were out for blood, the kid screams in fright through the night, loving everybite with delight, and we blow out our minds with your truth, together we stand for the youth. // 10

Overall Impression: Very dark heavy album. They never they were satanic so don't post saying "why does it say shout at the devil there not satanic I'm a f--king idiot." Of course it's not satanic it says Shout At The Devil, not with. But anyway buy this album you won't be dissapointed. The Crue still rocks, they are coming out with a new album with tons of new songs. Other good albums: Too Fast For Love, Theatre Of Pain, Girls, Girls, Girls, Dr. Feelgood, Decade Of Decadence, Motley Crue '94 (John Corabi singing), Generation Swine (some songs aren't old style of crue but after 20 years what do expect?), Entertainment Or Death (live greatest hits [Killer album]). Wait for the next album to come out if you've heard these. // 10

Shout At The Devil Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 28, 2005

Sound: The sound of this album is so awesome, it's one of the best albums I've heard with so much power in the main riffs of songs such as Looks That Kill, Shout At The Devil and Ten Seconds To Love. Vince Neil sounds friggin awesome on this especially when singing Ten Seconds To Love. Someone said that Axl was 100x better singing then Vince all I have to say to that is Vince can sing live and doesn't prance around in tighty whities so I vote vince. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are awesome on this album, the songs I'd never heard before like Ten Seconds To Love, Red Hot, Bastard are all awesome. Tne seconds to love is one of my favorite songs and Shout At The Devil is still one of my favorites because of the ominous hard tone of the vocals and riffs together. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is probably only comparable to Highway To Hell or maybe a Zeppelin IV 'cause it's just so great so much quality and great sounds and kickass lyrics I mean just wow listening to this made me forget about any other genre of music in the world it was just so perfect. // 10

More Motley Crue reviews rating latest review