Theater of Pain Review

motley crue: Theater of Pain
Released: Jun 21, 1985
Genre: Glam Metal
Label: Elektra
Released in the aftermath of singer Vince Neil's arrest for manslaughter on a drunk driving charge, the album marked a step away from the heavy metal sound of Shout at the Devil towards a more glam-rock influenced record, in both sound and image.
 7.7
 7.4
review (1) 13 comments vote for this album:
Theater of Pain Reviewed by: Sleez Boy, on january 22, 2009

Sound: Like I said, the sound is different than Shout at the Devil, as well as their image. Shout at the Devil was heavy metal album, while Theater of Pain was more glam. The songs usually start with drums because they (Motley) said Tommy usually starts the songs with a drum beat, then the rest follow. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics read like a mess because you can tell that something was wrong; hence, Nikki, the main songwriter, was starting to go into heroin. Good thing the others got involve in writing. They are not really strong, but I did like it. The album title is a very good title unlike some of the tracks. The songs have a Kiss similarity titles like "Raise Your Hands to Rock" "Louder than Hell" "City Boy Blues" and "Use It or Lose It". Despite some title names, the songs still rock. // 7

Overall Impression: The album cover is awesome because of the mask and the title "Theater of Pain". The cover suggests that you will have some fun, but some tears as well. 01."City Boy Blues": plays very strange in the song. The beat here is very nice. The song starts off the album and sets up much of the mood. Good track to listen to! It will make you have the "City Boy Blues" 02."Smokin' In The Boy's Room": is the song that got a lot airplay and no wonder why. The music video is great! It is one of my favorite videos I've seen. The song comes from Brownsville Station and if I remember correctly... Brownsville Station was a lot faster and harder. The Motley Crue version is slower and groove oriented. If you haven't seen the video, you should go ahead do yourself a favor: watch it! The video feature Michael Berryman from The Hills Have Eyes (original) and is pretty fun to watch (especially Vince's outfit). This is one of their best songs off this album. Note: I love Nikki's bass line here for its pure simple. 03."Save Our Souls": is an awesome song. The song starts off with a cool drum beat and Mick throws a hard guitar lick. I love the chorus and Vince's voice. The song is screaming for salvation. 04."Louder Than Hell": is it louder than hell? I don't know and hopefully I won't find out. This is a hard punk song will leave you head banging hard. Mick plays pretty simple in here; meanwhile, Tommy slams his drums as hard as he could. Vince screams and throws his vocals as Motley Crue tries to be loud. No wonder, this song is called louder than hell. The song starts off with a drum beat and the guitar comes screaming. 05."Home Sweet Home": is a gem off the album. It is a ballad about the band out on the road, and it is very lovely. Vince sings at very beautiful voice and has this nice melody. The lyrics are great. Also, the song has a great music video. As you know, the song would be remixed in '91 and re-invented again with Chester Bennington (Linkin Park). Whichever version you have heard, this song is awesome. Beautiful 06."Tonight (We Need a Lover)": plays at a very moderate tempo. The song is another head banger tune that'll make you need a lover. Pun intended. The song has some cool keyboards work and cool solo. As usual, the song plays with a drum beat and guitar playing. The song is kind of a sing-a-long song. Yes, it will make you headband and at the very end the tempo speeds up! 07."Keep Your Eye on the Money": starts off pretty cool! Mick plays a very awesome riff while the Nikki fills the grooves with Tommy. Vince cuts through the song with his cool voice. This is a very good song to listen to and bang your head. 3.5 out of 4 08."Fight for Your Rights": plays very aggressive. Vince sings not at an aggressive voice, but it is still very good. The chorus is nice along with the melodies and the hooks. The song is also loud, but that is it. Good songs that won't exactly make you fight for your rights, unless someone wanted to ban Motley Crue and head banging. 09."Raise Your Hands to Rock": starts off with an acoustic guitar and is pretty bluesy. Awesome song, the chorus is pretty simple. I love Mick's guitar work here, like I said; it's very bluesy. Nikki and Tommy work great in filling the grooves to Mick's guitar work. Vince sings at a blues tone that is awesome. I originally thought this song was going to be ok because of silly title, but it is a good song. So raise your hands to rock, I am prepared to take your boos and shoes throws. 10."Use it or Lose It": plays similar to "Red Hot" and works alright though I like the chorus a lot. This song is short and fast, but not as fast as "Red Hot". So, either you use it or you lose. Not as great as the other track, but passable Note: I don't know what they mean by "it" Vocals- Vince Neil Guitar- Mick Mars Drums- Tommy Lee Bass- Nikki Sixx Piano & Keyboards- Tommy Lee // 9

More Motley Crue reviews rating latest review