Lean Into It Review

mr big: Lean Into It
Release Date: 1991
Label: Atlantic
Genres: Guitar Virtuoso, Hard Rock, Hair Metal, Heavy Metal
Mr. Big abandons the virtuoso guitar and bass of Paul Gilbert and Billy Sheehan for the majority of Lean Into It, and the result is a big, shiny mainstream rock album.
 8.8
 9.3
 8.2
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Lean Into It Reviewed by: jamiedonnelly93, on april 04, 2007

Sound: This is the greatest Mr Big studio release their has ever been and the reasons start with the sound. Paul Gilberts tone had increased dramatically but somehow for the better than on his apparentley to what it had seemed to be an unbeatalble tone but he came back witha crunchier distortion and a more cleaner clean setting, if that makes sense, it is such a rich tone he seems to have on this album. Billy Sheehans bass tone has not really changed and either has the way he plays his bass but just like in the previous album he plays an absolutely beautiful job on the bass with such basslines that are distinctive on Green Tinted Sixties Minds and Daddy Brother Lover Little Boy. // 10

Lyrics: I think the lyric writing of the band hasn't really improved, not that they needed to be improved!, on this album unlike the first every song has been wrote by themselves and alike the first album Eric Martin does a magnifisant job singing over the music yet again and also Billy Sheehan gives an awesome harmony with Eric. I believe Eric Martins singer skills have improved as he reaches even higher notes in this album, and he must have kudos for writing Mr Big's only big hit To Be With You, which Paul GIlbert delivers a great guitar solo on! // 8

Overall Impression: I think this album is one of the best albums I own it is truly great, It beats every other album in It's genre and probarbly will for another 20 years it is that good, no one could touch Paul and Billy when it comes to an amazing Guitar/Bass combo. I love the guitar solos on it, I love the shredding on Daddy, Brother, Lover, Little Boy. I love the piano lick on Just Take My Heart. The album sets the benchmark for other Hard Rock/Shred bands for years to come. I don't think theirs one thing I hate about this album apart from maybe they should have made the next album like this, it's got some good songs on it, but doesn't touch Lean Into It. If it were stolen or lost I'd scour to a corner and cry and cry. Then I'd come up with a plan, find the person who stole it and unleish my devilish plan and then taunt him for the rest of his life. The plan was not sexual. // 10

More Mr Big reviews rating latest review