Mr. Big Review

mr big: Mr. Big
Release Date: 1989
Label: Atlantic
Genres: Guitar Virtuoso, Heavy Metal, Pop-Metal, Hair Metal
Mr. Big was to equal the successes of their debut on their subsequent albums, but they were never again able to sustain that same level of quality over the course of an entire record.
 8.7
 8.4
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Mr. Big Reviewed by: jamiedonnelly93, on april 02, 2007

Sound: Well, In 1988 bass player Billy Sheehan and guitarist Steve Vai left David Lee Roth with Billy Sheehan joining up with Santana's manager to start a new band, he found a unique charasmatic 'shredder' in a band known as 'Racer X' that was Paul Gilbert, then joined by drummer Pat Torpey and Singer Eric Martin. They became Mr Big. And with fusing Hard Rock and Shred giving Mr Big their unique sound. Paul Gilbert must be one of the fastest but melodic guitarists to have ever walked the planet and Bill Sheehans bass skills are just awesome, just the start of Addicted To That Rush (track 1) shows you how versatile and melodic he is. Compared to later Mr Big albums the sound on Mr Big is not the greatest but a nice sound anyway. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics for the album are amazing only one of the tracks (30 Days In The Hole - Track 11) was not written by a member of Mr Big which is impressive compared to nowadays songwriting. Also the lyrics go well with all of the music and not only the lead vocals but also the backing vocals have such a smooth harmony as Eric Martin has quite a high vocal range wheras Billy Sheehan alike his instrument is very mellow. Nevertheless it must be praised how just like in Billy Sheehan and Paul Gilberts previous bands were is somehow identical to Mr Big as in David Lee Roth, Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan would play some unbelievable stuff whilst David Lee Roth sung over it and alike with Racer X Paul gilbert would be playing some really unbelievable finger blistering material whilst Jeff Martin would sing over it and this is what it was like with Mr Big their would be some quite complexed music but Eric Martin would sing over it well and I believe he is one of the strongest vocalists on the rock scene // 10

Overall Impression: I think this album is very similiar to David Lee Roth's Eat Em And Smile as I've previously stated the music behind it is very complexed and melodic with smooth vocals over it that fit it well. The most impressive tracks from this album I'd say are Addicted To That Rush as Billy Sheehan has an amazing bass tapping lick at the start and the live version is awesome. Anything For You as it's a nice ballad and the tone Paul Gilbert gets from his guitar on the track just shows you that it's a ballad also the lyrics are very meaningful and seem to have a lot of passion in them and also Rock And Roll over as the intro to it has such a Chuck Berry style blues kind of thing goin on there it's beautiful. If it was stolen I'd hunt down the person who stole It and kick his ass! If I lost it I'd buy it twice. // 9

More Mr Big reviews rating latest review