Superfuzz Bigmuff Plus Early Singles Review

mudhoney: Superfuzz Bigmuff Plus Early Singles
Release Date: Oct 25, 1990
Label: Sub Pop
Genres: American Underground, Alternative Pop/Rock, Grunge, Garage Punk
Mudhoney's musical range may be quite limited, but as Superfuzz Bigmuff proves, they can be amazing at what they can do.
 9.3
 8.8
 9.7
Superfuzz Bigmuff Plus Early Singles Reviewed by: GrungeBeatle, on october 17, 2005

Sound: When it comes to grunge music, Mudhoney invented it, literally. Throughout thier long history, Mudhoney has been one of the few bands who have been able to maintain thier slow, sludgy, yet raw and energetic sound that can be called grunge. Superfuzz Bigmuff is probably the best (and most well-known) example of Mudhoney's work. A sound very reminescent of the earlier days when artits such as Nirvana and Soundgarden were still recording with Jack Endino. // 10

Lyrics: Mark Arm's vocals definately are unique but have set a standard that many follow today. The raspy and angry sounding vocals sing along to over distorted guitars to lyrics that range from lost love to satirical and saracastic attacks on social issues such as racism and prejudice. // 8

Overall Impression: While it may not be as well known as Nevermind or Badmotorfinger, Superfuzz Bigmuff is no doubt a huge influence in the grunge movement of the 1990's. Some of the most impressive songs on the album are harder In 'N' Out of Grace to the softer If I Think and Need. If this album were stolen/lost, I would definately replace it. // 8

Superfuzz Bigmuff Plus Early Singles Reviewed by: mental_zer0, on october 18, 2006

Sound: This album has a very "grungy" sound, which is obviously what they were going for. Mudhoney was a huge influence on Nirvana's music, and it shows. Both have similar styles, though Nirvana is more depressing. Superfuzz Bigmuff has a great sound, simple guitar, and everything meshes well together. The intros to the songs, however, are a bit cheesy and don't establish much of what the rest of the song is like. From my point of view, the intros seem pointless. Without those, the songs wouldn't be quite as wishy-washy. // 8

Lyrics: The biggest problem I am having with this album is the frequency af overused lyric ideas and very strained metaphors. The lyrics could have been thought out a little bit more. "Touch Me, I'm Sick" however, is fine with simple lyrics. The singer tends to have a bit of a nasally voice at times, and when he tries to sing melodic parts like in "If I Think". It just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the music. If his voice wasn't as nasally, and the lyrics had a bit more fluency in them, this great band could be even more fantastic than they already are. Other than those problems, he's great. // 7

Overall Impression: The album's great, definitely worth purchasing, and a must-have for any grunge collection. I would say my overall impression is that this album wasn't intended to be a grunge classic, but this CD really caught the essence of what grunge is. If I lost this CD, I would absolutely buy it again, and burn a backup copy in case I happen to lose it a second time. Personally, the best songs would have to be Touch Me I'm Sick, Chain That Door, Sweet Young Thing (Ain't Sweet No More), In 'N Out Of Grace, You Got It (Keep It Out Of My Face). // 9

Superfuzz Bigmuff Plus Early Singles Reviewed by: BGM>YOU, on may 23, 2008

Sound: The sound on this album truly represents what actual 'Grunge music' is. It sounds like the Sonic Youth mixed with The Stooges, if you will. It's very very noisy, it has a lot of feedback, use of wah on Steve Turners highly underrated guitar playing. It was a sound that bands like Nirvana really took. The drums are eccentric and very well composed, the bass sounds like Matt Lukin is punching a hallow log (I don't remember who originally said that, but, it's true). If your a fan of grunge, this is a must-have. // 10

Lyrics: I read the reviews before this, and I personally like the lyrics. Most of them have a lot of meaning, every freaking bit as much meaning as Kurt Cobains lyrics. Like the song "Touch Me, I'm Sick", it's just kind of a bash on the conformist types, the people that see Mark Arm and the rest of Mudhoney and think "Oh God. What freaks." Based on appearence, people thought they were creeps, or druggies or whatever. A lot of the lyrics are based off of alcohol problems and you can see love song-like lyrics on "If I Think". Mark Arm did an amazing job delivering the vocals on this, he's been compared to Iggy Pop a lot. I prefer Arm anyday, he has a nasaly voice that fit the music perfectly. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this would probably be: Possibly the greatest album I own. I love the noisy aspect of it, that's why I wish Jack Endino had kept producing Mudhoney albums. Some of my favorite songs on the album were: "Need", "If I Think", "Halloween" (Sonic Youth song), "Mudride", "Touch Me I'm Sick", and "Sweet Young Thing...". If it were stolen, I'd be pretty angry. But, I have it on my computer, so, I don't think I'd purchase it again despite my deep love for this album and band. // 10

More Mudhoney reviews rating latest review
+ Vanishing Point 7.3 04/02/2013