Loss Review

Genre: Rock
Styles: Indie Pop, Neo-Psychedelia
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Loss Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 23, 2003

Overall Impression: Now we all know that Scottish indie from an island no-one has ever heard of will probably take off but in this case we all should make an exception. Colin McIntyre fronts this two piece from Mull/Glasgow. Colin does virtually everything in this band he sings/plays guitar+bass/plays keyboards and does all the programming etc. The start of the album is a bit slow with track 1 (Public Service Announcer), but Watching Xanadu is a brilliant upbeat song. Instead and I tried are fairly average but no album is perfect (bar Origin Of Symmetry by MUSE). This is not who we were is when the album truly kicks into life, this song is a masterpiece of Scottish pop. The next two tracks, This Is Not Who We Were and Barcode Bypass, are trully beautiful if not Travis influenced depressing songs. Animal Cannabus has nothing to do with drugs but gives of the impression that this guy has something for sheep, nevertheless it's a good, more rock, song. Strangeways inside is another depressing song with a solid rock chorus. Track 10, Mull Historical Society, is the one of the louder songs on the album with rock verses, choruses etc.. Finaly we come to Paper Houses, not much to say about this except that it's a sublime, down beat, acoustic song witha bizzare outro. But without a doubt the albums best song is the hidden track, Loss. A Scottish album wouldn't be complete with out depressing music blended in with upbeat pop/indy music. Mull Historical Society will only get more popular with talk of a second album and appearences at T'in the Park sure to leapfrog M.H.S. up the popularity ladder. // 10

More Mull Historical Society reviews rating latest review