Women And Children Last Review

murderdolls: Women And Children Last
Released: Aug 31, 2010
Genre: Heavy Metal, Hard Rock
Label: Roadrunner
Slipknot drummer Joey Jordison once again exposes his knack for glammy punk rock with his resurrected Murderdolls project. Its their first release in eight years.
 Lyrics: 8.4
 7.9
 8.6
 7.2
Women And Children Last Reviewed by: UG Team, on september 15, 2010

Sound: Slipknot drummer Joey Jordison is beyond respected as one of the best drummers in music, let alone hard rock and metal. But he is a multi-talented multi-instrumentalist, as his work in his newly exhumed Murderdolls project demonstrates. Murderdolls' Beyond The Valley Of The Murderdolls reared its grimy and glammy, horror rock head in 2002; that's a long fucking time ago, by pop culture standards. That album was big on B-movie kitsch and spawned a Billy Idol cover of White Wedding. The Dolls went dormant for nearly a decade, but Jordison and vocalist Wednesday 13, who has a penchant for penning your not-so-typical boy-kills-girl love stories, have rebooted the band. The music is more three-chord, power punk rock with a touch of pop sensibilities, in term of the melodies, but the guitar work is razor sharp, as is the songwriting. Women And Children Last is teeming with fist-pump anthems with less horror kitsch and more singability. Nowhere is perfect for the ghoulish goth who likes Motley Crue, as is Summertime Suicide. Seriously, I dare you to play these at maximum decibels and walk away without these choruses embedded in your dead head. Additionally, My Dark Place Alone has more hooks than a tacklebox. Jordison and Wednesday 13 hunkered down and put songwriting first, with Halloween-friendly image running a very close second. Speaking of the Crue, the Crue's legendary axeman Mick Mars plays on Blood Stained Valentine and Drug Me To Hell, further upping the rip and tear quotient of the albums riffs. // 9

Lyrics: While Wednesday has toned down some of the horror references, I am proud to report that F-ck You and in general, F-ck is probably the most used word in his lyrical repertoire. He's irreverent and he likes to say f-ck! Chapel Of Blood isn't as horrific as it might seem, but damn if Wednesday's gravelly vocals don't stab you in the ear like Jason Vorhees machete! Blood Stained Valentine is another of his offbeat love songs where he signs, You're like a bottle of poison / That I can't resist. In Murderdolls' world, that's a complement. Murderdolls traffic in blood-soaked romance, where the dark side is celebrated and glamourized. It's why the album is charged with a current of blackened fun. // 9

Overall Impression: With Joey Jordison and Wednesday 13, you always need to look at life (or in their case, death) through blood-colored glasses. The band has certainly affixed itself with an image of blood and guts, but the music is sleazy rock n' roll, swift melodies and punk rock stamina. // 9

- Amy Sciarretto (c) 2010

Women And Children Last Reviewed by: Cheeseman Jay, on september 16, 2010

Sound: It was the 17th of June this year. My GCSE's were in full flow, the girl I was seeing was giving me grief and the World Cup was rubbish. I did have one positive though. That was the date that I first heard the new Murderdolls song, 'My Dark Place Alone'. Mothers, lock yup your daughters! Mutilate your children and cook your husbands! The Murderdolls are back in town. It truly was remarkable and I instantly marked their upcoming release as one to watch. As well as the fact that it was Murderdoll's first new material in 8 years was only a part of my new found love. Now, just to clarify, I was never a massive fan of 'Beyond The Valley Of The Murderdolls'. I was always a 'Translyvania 90210' kinda guy. To me, 'Women And Children Last' is the natural successor to 'Transylvania'. It seems that they've grown up. The lyrics are still over-the-top but they're no longer about zombies and Dracula. They have real life (if slightly extreme, to say the least) roots. The overall sound is all a lot more complete and siniter. An example is 'Bored Til' Death'. It has a very dark ambience but still makes you smile. The album is 80% Horror and 40% fun which is good maths in my book. The musicianship isn't the most amazing that you'll ever hear but I think that works to their favour. Someimes, simple music, when delivered in the right manner, can be the most effective. I believe that to the case here. Joey Jordison probably won't be remembered for his contributions to the world of guitar but he does put out some nice little riffs. Overall, I'd say that the point of the guitars in this album is not to show off and say "Look what I can do!" but rather to compliment Wednesday 13 who is, in my opinion, their most valuable asset. I'll come to him in a minute. To sum up then, the overall sound is a more mature and darker than any of their previous collaborations and I think that they've justified the 8 year wait. // 9

Lyrics: Moving on to Wednesday 13 now; First things first, he has a new haircut. Now that that's out the way, I'll move on to his voice. Mr. 13 is very unique. He certainly has a very distinct sound which is good for any band but especially good in Murderdoll's case. Without a distinctly different sounding singer, their campy, gory, "Everything's shit and I'm going to kill you all." mentality wouldn't be as effective. Lyrically, they won't win any awards. I think that's a given. That's not to say that they're not catchy though. 'Summertime Suicide' in particular is very infectious. The lyrics work because they are over-the-top and suit the whole band image. Looking at a couple of examples now: in 'Bored Til' Death', Wednesday's cry of "I've got an obsession with Smith and Wesson" is worthy of a chuckle or two (Smith and Wesson being a manufacturer of guns for you unenlightened people out there). In 'Death Valley Superstars', the repeated line of "Put your faith in the bullet in the head of someone you know" is chilling and funny in it's histrionic brutality. Just a warning for you parents out there, as you may have deduced already, this album might not be ideal for little kids. It also has a lot of casual swearing. Of course, I probably don't need to warn you as I doubt many people would buy their 6 year old an album from a band called Murderdolls but still, I feel obliged to forewarn you. // 8

Overall Impression: I am very, very pleased with the final product. In my opinion, it could be as good as (or better than) 'Transylvania 90210'. I won't give it an album of the year award just yet though, as I don't know if it'll beat Slash's album or Stone Sour's new effort next week but it is certainly a contender. I don't doubt that a number of you will loathe them. Murderdolls are the musical equivalent of Marmite; you either love 'em or hate 'em. I'm certainly in the 'love' camp. If you are too, I cannot recommend any songs off this album (waits for disbelief after such a glowing review). They're all too good to single individual efforts out! At some point today when you have about 40 minutes spare, give this album a listen through. Perhaps you'll be as smitten as I am. If not, that's cool. Just don't don't hate the Dolls. // 9

Women And Children Last Reviewed by: ironmanben, on september 20, 2010

Sound: Women and Children Last is the second release by the horror-punk band, the Murderdolls, bringing together Wednesday 13 and Slipknot member Joey Jordison. This is also the band's first release in 8 years. Many of the musicians that played on the band's first record didn't stay on for Women and Children Last. Therefore, the album was almost entirely recorded by Wednesday and Joey. However, these two members are all the band needs in studio. The tracks on Women and Children sound just right, not exactly the same as the previous release, but also not straying too far from the Murderdolls' signature sound. The band sounds as fresh as ever, and obviously has not run out of ideas, with pleasant new titles such as Summertime Suicide, Homicide Drive, Death Valley Superstars, Drug Me To Hell, and more. The album starts off with an intro-track called The World According To Revenge. This dark, ticking song would surely drive you to insanity if it were a full length song, which, I'm guessing, was what the band was trying to achieve. Chapel of Blood is crunchy, clever, and vampiric, and though the title reflects an overuse of heavy metal stereotypes, the lyrics are comical and original. Bored 'Til Death wasn't one of my favorites, it seems more like filler, and unlike Chapel of Blood, this one is a little bit stereotypical. The next track, Drug Me To Hell, was one of my favorites off the album, a riff-laden drug anthem featuring the guitar work of Mick Mars. Mick's solo is simple, but extremely catchy. Track 5, Nowhere, sounds like glam metal straight from the 80's, not so much of a horror song, it's more of a spacey rebellion sort. Summertime Suicide, is somewhat similar to Nowhere, melody-wise. Another 80's throwback, it sounds like it could've been an unused Alice Cooper tune. Death Valley Superstars is another Alice Cooper sounding tune. It's classic Murderdolls down to the last riff, and definitely wouldn't have been out of place on Beyond the Valley of the Murderdolls. My Dark Place Alone was the lead single from Women and Children Last, and is probably one of the heaviest songs on the record. I've heard many people complain that the song was too heavy for the Murderdolls, that they were trying to change their style too much with it, etc. But in reality, the track is a catchy song with lots of hooks. I think it's one of the best on the album. The next song on the album was another song done with Mick Mars, Blood-Stained Valentine. Musically, the song is like a cross between W.A.S.P. and stripped down Motley Crue, and lyrically a very clever one. Wednesday 13 may be the only guy that compares his girlfriend to a car crash. One wonders what his significant other (assuming he has one) thinks of it. Pieces of You wins my award for the best use of words like "decapitation" and "amputate" by a band. The sheer novelty of the words makes it memorable. I really can't tell what Homicide Drive is about at all, all I know is that it sounds really cool! Is it about drugs, religion, sex, death, or a strange mix of all of them? The world may never know. Rock n' Roll I All I Got is another cliche-fest, but in this case, I really don't mind, because this is still a perfect anthem for anyone living the rock n' roll lifestyle. And the song's riffs are as heavy as, well, something really heavy. Nothing's Gonna Be Alright is a little musically awkward in the chorus, in my opinion. The bit that goes "It's such a wonderful night/nothing's gonna be alright" and the rest of the song don't quite seem to fit together, and I'm sure some listeners will hear what I mean. Not one of my favorites. Whatever You Got, I'm Against It has blues Aerosmith style guitar work, and one riff that sounds like it was lifted from We're Not Gonna Take It by Twisted Sister. The song ends far too quickly at only 3:13 in length. I recommend savoring every second. The last song on Women and Children last, Hello, Goodbye, Die ends the album with a bang. The band's influences clearly show throughout the whole album. // 9

Lyrics: With clever lyrics like "You don't need luck when you don't give a f--k", and the bizarre Homicide Drive, Women and Children last is full of lyrics that defy cliches and show the cleverness and creepy creativity of the Murderdolls. Chapel of Blood perfectly reflects vampires while staying cliche free, and Blood-Stained Valentine has rather, umm..."creative" comparisons of Wednesday 13's beloved to common experiences and objects. Overall, the lyrics are quite intelligently written, for a band singing about decapitation and the undead. The music sounds as is Joey Jordison teamed up with the Devil to write it, and the crushing heavingness perfectly compilments the gory lyrics. Wendesday 13's voice is made for shock rock, as one of the most distinctive singers in the genre since Blackie Lawless of W.A.S.P. It's a voice you either love or hate, and it certainly wouldn't succeed in a genre other than heavy metal, but here, it's perfect. Wendesday sounds as nasty as ever, I think 8 years have made him an even better vocalist than before. // 9

Overall Impression: In a music scene full of Beyonce, Kesha, and Paramore, it's good to know that wild, true, shock rock is still going strong. This is among my favorite things I've heard so far this year. In ten years or so, I imagine this'll be a landmark album in shock rock. My favorite songs are probably Chapel of Blood, My Dark Place Alone, Drug Me To Hell, and Whatever You Got, I'm Against It. I'm not so keen on Nothing's Gonna Be Alright or Summertime Suicide. But aside from those, this album is amazing! If it were stolen, I'd definitely buy it again. // 9

Women And Children Last Reviewed by: Bezza27, on september 20, 2010

Sound: The album has a very odd sound. The tracks use lots of bass, gain and distortion however a lot aren't typical metal riffs and chords. I know the band are Horror Punk/Metal but themore up beat songs sound like the bi-product of the early Green Day stuff sprinkled with Slipknot. It's not bad its just, different. However the rest of the album has a typical nu-metal sound that is heard and loved but Murderdolls aren't afraid to stray from the norm and for that reason I give the sound a 9. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on the album are very "tounge-in-cheek" especially on the songs Rock n Roll is All I Got and A Moment of Violence(which is only available on the special edition). This is very interesting and adds a new dynamic to the whole album. However many of the lyrics on the other songs are very sad and I know you can't expect something as happy as Yellow Submarine from a band called Murderdolls, this makes the songs that are funny feel like a breath of fresh air. This gives the album a very emo-kid feel about it. This isn't bad, but in todays society it apparently is. For example the song Summertime Suicide is about suicide so it isn't to buy if you want something to cheer you up. Wednesday 13's vocals are good but they could do with some help. He sings in his own unique style which is good for the more upbeat and funny songs but his half screamo half clean singing feels out of place on some of the songs that are meant for clean singing. However for some reason it works. I'm giving the sound an 8. // 8

Overall Impression: I was first interested in Murderdolls because of my love for Slipknot and Dope(the band that is, not the illegal drug). I then heard "My Dark Place Alone" on the UK music channel Scuzz. However I didn't intend to buy the album as I would have bought it from iTunes becuase my shelf of CDs is getting full. However I got the collectors edition with the DVD and bonus tracks. For the other 3 or however many US$. It has filled up the space that would have been used by the new Stone Sour album.(Audio secrecy I think). All in all I would definately buy this album. It is interesting enough to keep you listening but never strays too far away from the Horror Punk/Metal formula. // 8

Women And Children Last Reviewed by: coco-loco, on september 21, 2010

Sound: Over 8 years, Wednesday 13 and Joey Jordison have reunited once again, but this time, with a much heavier vibe. The are still a few of their old horror punk songs, like "Summertime Suicide", but the majority of the songs on the album would be classified as metal, such as "Chapel Of Blood", and their single, "My Dark Place Alone". Women And Children Last is certainly a much more serious album, opposed to "Beyond the Valley Of The Murderdolls"-The Murderdolls' first and only album. This is evident as of the very first song "The World According To Revenge"-an eerie opener with the manic laughter of Wednesday 13 heard in the background. The guitarist of Mtley Cre, Mick Mars, can be heard on "Blood Stained Valentine" and "Drug Me To Hell". // 7

Lyrics: Once again, due to their more serious approach, the lyrics are not as tongue-in-cheek, as their predecessor...but they are certainly not "dead" serious. Many of the songs still contain strong, aggressive, but humorous lyrics, which should please the Murderdolls fans worldwide. Wednesday's awesome, harsh voice works wonderfully with the music, as well. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, the album is great, but for an old Murderdolls fan, this was not what I was expecting. When Joey said that the album would be heavier and darker, he wasn't kidding. All the B-Grade horror movie references aren't present in the songs, although as Wednesday says, "a couple of the songs on the new album could be in a horror movie", but lyrically, isn't about dating teenage zombies or grave-robbing. Nevertheless, the album is great. If anyone stole the disc, they wouldn't live to regret it. Each time I listen to the whole album, I like it more and more. Amazing. // 9

More Murderdolls reviews rating latest review
+ Beyond The Valley Of The Murderdolls 9.3 09/17/2007