Madness [Single] Review

muse: Madness [Single]
Released: Aug 20, 2012
Genre: Pop, R&B, Electronic
Label: Warner Bros
Muse newest single, "Madness", is some sort of blend of R&B and electro music, with even more hints of Queen.
 5.9
 6.2
 5.5
Madness [Single] Reviewed by: StackedTuna, on august 22, 2012

Sound: Muse have been one of the world's largest, most successful rock bands for a long time now, and the hype surrounding their latest effort "The 2nd Law" isn't surprising. The band have stated again, that they will be experimenting new sounds on the album, such as dubstep (on "Unsustainable"). In the past the band has claimed to experiment with new sounds, like before the release of their previous album "The Resistance". However, throughout the waves of experimental sound, there has always been that one aspect of a Muse song that sounds like Muse, and when you listen to it, you still know its Matt, Dom and Chris behind the layer of bizarre. This is clear in the song "Survival". The same cannot be said however, for their newest single, "Madness". It's some sort of blend of R&B and electro music, with even more hints of Queen. // 5

Lyrics: In my opinion, Matt's voice doesn't sound at all comfortable in this sort of song, it just doesn't seem natural. The song has a voice throughout the song saying "Ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-madness" which I suppose isn't a bad touch, but the song acts as if it could be built up into something a lot more than a U2-esque ending that sounds nothing like Muse at all. // 5

Overall Impression: Some people may fall in love with "Madness", but sadly I'm not one of those people. In my opinion, "Madness" is one of those songs that will gain fans, as well as lose some. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a fan of Muse, but I honestly hope that "The 2nd Law" holds more promising material. // 5

Madness [Single] Reviewed by: gateway01, on august 22, 2012

Sound: This is the true crossing point between "Unsustainable" and "Survival". It has the electronic elements from "Unsustainable", and all of the melodic and ballad elements from "Survival", along with the occasional Queen-esque choir vocals. This is the song people will be humming on their daily walks. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics were awesome on this song, but I'm kind of unsure of how well they fit with the melody of the music. It was definitely interesting to many open-minded listeners, but I'm not sure how well the long time hard-core fans will respond. The singing in itself is spectacular. Some people complain about Bellamy's voice, saying he moans instead of singing, but he proved them wrong here. // 8

Overall Impression: Does "Madness" compare to other Muse material? No, it doesn't in any way. However, that doesn't mean that it isn't good. It is actually very good. It's just way to different from any other Muse songs to even compare them. I am a true Muse fan, and I can say that I love the newest Muse material, including "Unsustainable". And this just goes to show how diverse Muse can be. That's really what they are trying to accomplish with "The 2nd Law", and I like it. // 9

Madness [Single] Reviewed by: GNRAGE_2010, on august 23, 2012

Sound: The sound of "Madness" is a complete departure from anything else Muse has released before. The opening introduces a sample of "m-m-m-m-m-mad-mad-mad" layered over a filtered, squishy sounding electronic loop. As Bellamy's voice comes in, it is more reminiscent of a Queen song or U2. This essentially follows traditional song format going into an outro that just reinforces the U2 comparisons. With "The Resistance" we saw a more prominent move towards a Queen/U2 sound but with this single it is even more pronounced. // 5

Lyrics: The lyrics are a standard Bellamy love laced affair. Bordering on cheesy and uninspired, there is nothing here that stands out. As a singer, Bellamy is already established as having a good voice and in "Madness" he tones back the sometimes overbearing falsetto non-sense with his stronger chest voice. // 5

Overall Impression: It will most likely upset core Muse fans, and also possibly appeal to previous non-Muse fans. As a diehard fan of Muse during their "Origin Of Symmetry" and "Absolution" days, I have to say I am disappointing in what they have released thus far from their new album. Out of their 13 tracks coming out, I can already say I don't enjoy 3 of them which include: "The 2nd Law: Unsustainable", "Survival", and now "Madness". I am open to bands experimenting with new sounds and styles, however I don't believe this to be the Muse I know so well that used to be fusing the likes of Rachmaninoff and Bach with traditional rock. // 5

More Muse reviews rating latest review
+ Live At Rome Olympic Stadium 7.9 12/09/2013