Origin Of Symmetry Review

9.4
 9.2
 9.6
Origin Of Symmetry Reviewed by: mon_the_fraser, on november 19, 2007

Sound: Bellamy and Co. have created a great album yet again with Origin of Symetry. It is truly original something, that can be rarely said about music these days and probably my favourite Muse album. Matt Bellamy has taken his Manson electrics and written something not just good something dark, elegant and magical at the same time. This is not only a good album to listen to it is also a good album to play yourself with many good techniques employed such as pinch harmonics on "Citizen Erased". // 10

Lyrics: The subject of this album is relationships and although the lyrics are not beutifully poetic and as great as someone like Dylan or Lenon they serve their purpose, helping capture the dark or very inverse in the case of "Bliss". The highlights of the album lyrically are the stunning "New Born" and "Plug in Baby". // 8

Overall Impression: This album varies greatly in its musicality. At the start of the record master riffs are the order of the day with "New Born" and "Plug In Baby" then songs like this are complimented by tracks such as "Space Dementia" and their cover of a Nina Simone classic "Feeling Good" although this is a guitar page it is worth noting Bellamy's piano skills are phenomenol and is likely one of the best pianists in the world. This is album is grand in every sense, a delight to listen to and definetly worth buying. If I lost or broke the CD I would sprint to the nearest record shop and buy it again, probably twice. // 10

Origin Of Symmetry Reviewed by: Uber-rocker, on january 18, 2008

Sound: Muse's second album instantly gives the impression that there's a brooding epic on the way, and it doesn't disappoint. Matt Bellamy's out-of-this-world custom guitar sounds, Chris Wolstenholme's repetitive, pounding, ever-present bass guitar and Dominic Howard's neat, tightly packaged drumming make Origin of Symmetry a rock album you can listen to repeatedly. I'll start (rather logically, it must be said) with New Born. 01. New Born - quiet arpeggiated piano chords give away nothing of the maelstrom that is about to be unleashed upon your eardrums. A perennial crowd pleaser at Muse gigs, New Born is six minutes and two seconds of rock heaven, with a decent solo and a great bass line to boot. 02. Bliss - this time around it's a synth giving us the introduction, before Matt, Dom and Chris blast in to the song, apparently out of nowhere. With synths galore, guitar, drums and a driving bass line, Bliss is exactly that. 03. Space Dementia - once again, a quiet piano opens the song, and continues throughout. Chris' bass line combined with keyboards, creeping up the fret board upon the beginning of the chorus gives Space Dementia somewhat of a spaced out feeling, which remains throughout the song. 04. Hyper Music - more of a straightforward rock song than complex musical genius, Hyper Music breathes fresh air in to the Origin Of Symmetry track list, which was probably what it needed after the brooding moodiness of the last three songs. A catchy riff and a chorus you can stamp your feet/bang your head to (delete as necessary) make this an enjoyable number. 05. Plug In Baby - Matt's opening riff to this song make it one of the most easily recognisable of the entire album, and it will get stuck in your head no matter how hard you try to avoid it. This is probably the most tight sounding song on the album, with regards to guitar, bass and drums all coming together. 06. Citizen Erased - a near seven and a half minute epic that crosses from one genre to another more than once, Citizen Erased is quite possibly the most outstanding track on Origin of Symmetry. If you like loud guitars, you'll be pleased by it. If you like quiet, mellow rock, you'll be pleased. If you like to hear the range of a singer's vocals, you'll be pleased as well. This is a track that a modern rock fan would find hard to fault in any way. 07. Micro Cuts - a shorter track, but by no means is it inferior as a result. Matt really does exceed himself with his vocal range in this song, to the point where if you want to understand what he's actually saying, you have to get out the lyrics sheet. A great bass line and a bouncy exit riff make this my favourite song on the album, no doubt about it, and Muse really pull this song off well live. 08. Screenager - very similar to Space Dementia in regards to the general feeling that this song gives you, I.e. a spaced out, bizarre kind of feeling. This is probably the weakest point in the record, and though I wouldn't dare describe it as filler material, it doesn't seem as up to the standard that the rest of the songs set. 09. Darkshines - another rocking number, this mainly bass-driven song doesn't disappoint live either, and gets the flow that Origin of Symmetry had before Screenager restarted. 10. Feeling Good - the only cover song on this record, and what a cover. This is a lot similar to Muse's cover of The Animal's 'House Of The Rising Sun', insomuch as it's been given a bit of a rock makeover. I can't really comment any more on this, as I haven't heard the original. 11. Megalomania - a suitable closer to what's been a dynamic album, Megalomania's slow and at times mellow nature makes it an easy song to listen to, regardless of your mood. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics of Origin of Symmetry, although I haven't analysed them too much, seem to be more moody, dark, and on a couple of songs even seem to be Matt Bellamy answering his critics and commenting on his rise in popularity. Examples of this would include Citizen Erased (the chorus) and Plug In Baby (ditto). Lyrically, this album differs from all other Muse albums in a way that you'd need to listen to over and over to understand fully. // 8

Overall Impression: Due to its heavier sound, Origin of Symmetry would easily have to be my favourite Muse album. But not because it's heavier, but more for the fact that it shows us the kind of dynamics Matt Bellamy, Chris Wolstenholme and Dominic Howard can achieve. My favourite songs on the album are Micro Cuts, New Born and Darkshines. These songs are each quite different from the other, and perhaps give the greatest range on the album. I really can't complain too much about this record, but if there was something then it would probably be the track listing. And if this CD were stolen, I'd have no hesitations purchasing a replacement, although I don't think it would be necessary, seeing as I have two copies of it already! // 9

Origin Of Symmetry Reviewed by: kellysoccer, on january 22, 2009

Sound: One of the best albums to grace this earth. I will play this album in my car very loudly with the windows down, and whenever I pass people standing outside on their lawns, I consider them blessed. I will review each of the songs: 01.New Born: definitely in the top 5 Muse songs. Kicks off with the gentle, eery broken chord melody, then builds up into one of the most insane riffs I have ever heard. It doesn't stop here... the guitar in the verse is addictive, as well as the tremolo picked solo(even better live). Backboned by the delicious bass line, this is a masterpiece. 02.Bliss: I'm not going to write anything here, this is an extremely beautiful song. 03.Space Dementia: a brilliant piano piece... demonstrates Matt's ability to jam the hell out of the piano... accompanied by sweet vocals. Hyper Music: The first twenty seconds of this song will make you absolutely curious to hear the rest... one of Chris's crunchiest bass lines to date. Plug in Baby: Awesome guitar riff with another tasty bass line entering in the process, awesome chorus, awesome song. 04.Citizen Erased: insanely catchy riff throughout the verse... mind blowing solo, then a calming down delicate piano piece. 05.Micro Cuts: perhaps Matt's most insane pieces of work yet... this song features his intense vocal range and concludes with a ground breaking outro... it's really cool to listen to this in your car with volume all the way up. 06.Screenager: a lot of people don't really like this one, but I think the chorus is really beautul. 07.Darkshines: probably my least favorite song of the album... It's still very good. 08.Feeling Good: a really cool cover of the original song. 09.Megelomania: a fantastic conclusion to this godly album... a brilliant organ piece with an epic chorus. // 10

Lyrics: Personally, I think the lyrics are amazing. Attach that to one of the best voices I've ever heard, and you've got an outstanding vocal piece. The lyrics fit the mood of the music perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: This album compares to other Muse albums, but that's about it. The most impressive songs are all of them. Everything about this album is absolutely wonderful. I would buy 20 of these albums just to show my support for Muse, and you should too. // 10

Origin Of Symmetry Reviewed by: Darclaus11, on july 12, 2011

Sound: "Origin Of Symmetry" was the make or break point for Muse. They'd just released their first album, a great, severly underrated piece of work. The only problem was that it was to eclectic. They were simply impossible to pin down into any genre. And so with this album, they knew they'd have to get in line and adhere to some kind of structure. But instead they did something spectacular. They invented their own genre. With "Origin", all the songs have the same feel of grandeur, of epicness, but none fit into any of the rock genres I can list. 01. "New Born" - A great start. Echoey, serene piano intro which kicks in to a face melting riff. Good strong bassline, massive chorus and a pretty strong solo. Outro riff same as intro, but it feels more suited there. A great song, but much better live. 02. "Bliss" - Here Muse introduce what is to become a staple of their tracks - the arpeggiated synth. It plays all the way through, but is a definite boost to the song, giving it another layer of epicness. Amazing chorus. 03. "Space Dementia" - Matt introduces his mind-blowing piano skills here to great effect. Notable Rachmaninov influence in the verse structure, but an unusually quiet chorus. Bat-shit insane outro of random improv. 04. "Hyper Music" - Muse here with a standard hard rock song. Short, sweet and to the point, with a powerful chorus and kick-ass riff. 05. "Plug In Baby" - A riff can repeat in your head for days on end and be welcome there, it is one of the greats. Standard rock-y chorus. 06. "Citizen Erased" - An epic. THE Epic. "Citizen Erased" captures every element of Muse in one 7 minute brilliance-a-thon. Powerful, heavy riff, amazing chorus, quiet interlude, random solo, beautiful piano outro. A tour de force. 07. "Micro Cuts" - A great track. Matt showcases his haunting falsetto vocals over quiet verses and sludgy powerful choruses. Rocking outro, with one of Muse's great riffs. 08. "Screenager" - Some great spanish-tinged guitar on this track, and a hauntingly beautiful chorus with those same arpeggios. A great quiet moment. 09. "Darkshines" - Another underrated track. Latin tinged verses with lovely bass, heavy distorted chorus, and a great faux brass solo. 10. "Feeling Good" - A great cover of the amazing Nina Simone track. A sing-a-long song with a great rock edge, and a creative verse sung through a megaphone. 11. "Megalomania" - Great way to end a track. Recorded on a pipe organ, with almost circus style verses, amazing choruses and an epic outro, with the chord at the end ending the album on a high. // 9

Lyrics: Matthew Bellamy, the driving force of creativity, manages to write meaningful lyrics about even the most usual song topics such as love. With the powerful anti-government anthem that is "New Born", to the quiet love lyrics of "Screenager", to the angry, negative almost anti-religion lyrics of "Hyper Music", Muse can cover a wide variety of different subjects in their songs. Matt's beautiful voice can song hard and soft, high and low, so there is really no problem with the musicality of the vocals fitting the songs. A great writer, Matt could probably fit anything to anything. Superb from the boys. // 10

Overall Impression: I was wondering whether I'd truly like Muse after "Showbiz". It had some great tracks, but it didn't really keep the energy going all the way through, and then there were the Radiohead comparisons that have since plauged the band. "Origin Of Symmetry" is so great that I'm surprised that people didn't realise how much it kicked those comparisons in the face with a steel-toed boot. "Origin" keeps the energy flowing all the way through, with every track having something different to love. Every time I listen to it, I find something new to love about one of the tracks. It is a near perfect album. My only problem with it is that Muse peaked too soon with it. It was such a great album that they could never write anything as good. And they never have. // 9

Origin Of Symmetry Reviewed by: Freepower, on july 16, 2004

Sound: Perhaps the best album in the world - this is common knowledge among all those who own this and don't own californication - although most RHCP nuts also like muse, so its not a fighting matter, calm down! The sound on this album is rather hard to describe. It's more a collection of vastly different songs that somehow all fit. There's the long, disquieting and melodic screenager, the bizarre cyber-riff in plug in baby, and the vast operatic and heavy citizen erased. Matt Bellamy's voice and guitar does dominate the record, which is no bad thing, as he is the best singer in rock at the minute (even if the falsetto annoys some people) and by far and away one of the most expressive guitarists - when he plays something, you feel what he's trying to convey. The drums are fantastic (I'm not a drummer, but my bandmate agrees here) and chris (the bassist) is accepted as an amazing bassist by all except metalheads. However, the way the sound Comes Together is what makes this album special. Muse are a band that have the combined ability to do what other bands only wish they could do. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are deep, intelligent and incredibly passionate - not just some light fodder for the mind. This depth can put people off, but it's the reason muse could never be a pop band - they love music too much. They understand how much it's about emotion. Matt bellamy's voice is amazing. Literally amazing. Dont listen to time is running out if you want to here the full range of his voice, buy this album. // 10

Overall Impression: It isn't comparable to any other album in the world - this is a unique album. Nothing like it will ever be made again, or has been before. The most impressive song for me on this album is citzen erased - there's something about it that just makes you feel every note. It makes shivers run up and down my spine every time I hear it. If this album were stolen I couldnt find fault with the taste of the person who stole it. But I'd still kill him and get it back. My personal "Best album ever", and that of everyone I know who owns it, except one. And they own californication - and think it's equally as good. // 10

Origin Of Symmetry Reviewed by: Cheezy, on february 19, 2007

Sound: I first got into Muse from listening to the Absolution CD. I loved thier sound there- so diverse and unique from any other band. Then I listened to Origin of Symmetry, and I was completely blown away. The whole album is so heavy without being 'too' heavy. I found myself getting into the music so much as I listened- wanting to be at a gig jumping up and down to some of the best songs I had ever heard. There is such a range of sounds on the album that almost any taste is catered for (although I know Muse aren't deliberately trying to appeal to everybody to be popular). What most impressed me about the album is the passion and feeling that flows through it. Songs such as Bliss, Citizen Erased and Megalomania just ooze emotion, and this makes the album so powerful. Almost every song is immense. 01. New Born - starts off with the almost 'upbeat' piano riff, then stops. What ensues is Muse at their very best, a huge riff full of distortion which builds up with the drums and bass to form what is in my opinion the heaviest riff Muse have ever written. Topped off with a fantastic chorus, it's hard to believe that the album does get better than this. 02. Bliss - after the carnage that is New Born, BLiss begins with one of the most hainting and beautiful pieces ever put to piano. A really heavy but not metal song, the chrorus is full of emotion and the whole song is nicely topped off with the haunting riff sounding even more beautiful at the very end of the song as it slowly fades away. 03. Into Space Dementia - again, the piano is haunting, and it's hard to believe that a song so heavy can be written using only piano, drums and bass. The best part of the song is the outro with features Muse in one of their most prog rock phases. 04. Hyper Music - a good riff, fantastic chorus, the lyrics make it! I'll explain later. A really upbeat song but far from happpy. 05. Plug In Baby - the song that probably made Muse big, a great pop riff with an epic chorus that actually makes me want to shout along. The clearest demonstration that Muse are at their best when it comes to writing a chorus. 06. Citizen Erased - my favourite Muse song of all time. Everbody in the world should listen to it. Rawking guitar at the start, then the drums and bass come in, making the song one of Muse's heaviest. But it doesnt't stop the song from having one of the kost deeply affecting and emotional piano outro's I've ever listened to. This song has it all. Immense. 6 minutes of excellence. 07. Micro Cuts - an amazing song, huge chorus, then the best Muse outro ever. A really heavy riff to rival new born. Really nice work on the guitar intro/verse too. 08. Screenager - I really don't like this song. I think it's great for showing how diverse Muse can be, but it just doesnt't appeal to me. A bit too boring really, but it's still an okay song. I tend to skip it when listening to the CD though. 09. Darkshines - an okay song until the chorus, which is good, but not great. Not a favoutrite of mine though I do like to listen to it every now and then. 10. Feeling Good - classic cover done jusctice, but even though it's a great song, and I really relaly loved it live, it's just not brilliant. Innovative and original though. 11. Megalomania - oh my god. After a couple of songs of, moderate quality, Megalomania just raped me. The intro is scary, dark and unnerving. The verse is really good, weird lyrics, but still good, it kind of stays at a steady pace, which makes the chorus all the more unexpected. Then, silence for a moment. Then the most amazing, dramatic ott but fantastic organ/drum/bass part comes in. It wouldn't sound out of place in a royal orchestra. The chorus builds, builds and builds, with the best lyrics on the album, again I'll explain later. One of the very best song muse have written that ends on an immense high. The album is immense, only brought down slightly by 'filler' songs like dark shines and screenager. // 9

Lyrics: Well, this album has some of my very favourite lyrcis of all time, so quite good really. Here are my favourite lyrics from each song then you see what you think of them. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is Muses best album. Some let down songs are more than nmade up for by the sheer quality of the other tracks, the besat oepening six tracks of any album ever. The most impressive songs are New Born, Bliss, SPace Dementia, Plug in baby, Citizen Erased, Micro Cuts and Megalmania. I love the lyrics, oringinaltiy and heavy without being metal feel. I really hate the short lapse of screenager through to feeling good. I would definitely buy this album again. // 10

Origin Of Symmetry Reviewed by: IRONSABBATHze12, on august 26, 2008

Sound: This album is easily Muse's best album featuring ''mind blowing'' songs such as ''new born'' and ''bliss''. The sound is incredible and inmediately captures you with thir first song''new born''. After you hear the first song you know that the album is amazing. Although while producing this album it was adviced to Matt Bellamy(Muse's singer guitarist and pianist) to not include the falsetos in the album because it would discourage radio play. Bellamy refused this offer and switched labels and then continued recording it and released it in 2002 in the U.K and 2005 in the U.S because of what mentioned before. The extreme virtuosity of the band's members make this album full of new noises made out of the guitar(Matt Bellamy) the bass(Cristopher Wolstenholme) and the drums(Dominic Howard). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are great, some asking for something(bliss) or some telling something(citizen erased-micro cuts). The lyrics talk about desolation, happiness, confusion, and many other subjects that do well in the music. The singer's skills are amazing and reaches notes almost imposible to reach. Examples of lyrics: New Born - Link it to the world Link it to yourself Stretch it like a birth squeeze The love for what you hide Bliss - Everything about you is how I wanna be Your freedom comes naturally Plug in Baby - I've exposed your lies, baby The underneath is no big surprise Citizen Erased - For one moment I wish you'd hold your stage With no feelings at all Dark Shines - Passing by you light up my darkest skies Feeling Good - It's a new dawn It's a new day It's a new life For me And I'm feeling good Megalomania - Paradise comes at a price, that I am not prepared to pay // 10

Overall Impression: This album is great it compares to some works like radiohead and their previous album''Showbiz'' but is greater and bigger. New Born - This song starts with a mysterious piano riff accompanied by an incredible bass riff(third best of them after hysteria and time is running out)this piano riff continues to about minute 1:30 where the guitar comes in with a heavily distored riff that will make you keep listening till the end. Bliss - This song follows great after explosive new born with it's soothing melody. The song starts with a piano introduction that soon becomes synth guitar and then follows by some explosive guitar chords. What happens with this song is that the first minute is so great that you expect the song to be as great as the intro but it then lets you down because it does not change much, however this is easily muse's most soothing song. Space Dementia - it is an okay song not as good as new born or bliss but is worth to hear. Hyper Music - Not much to say, the song starts a litte confusing with the guitar being scratched but gets good after a while, better than space dementia but not as good as the first two. Plug in Baby - The whole song can be reduced to 1 sentence, "awesome intro riff". The song starts with a cavtivating riff that's makes you hear the whole song waiting for something as great as the intro, the rest of the song is great but not as good as the intro riff. Citizen Erased - One of muse's best song awesome intro with the low E being struck 2 times followed by some artificial harmonics and more low E note strucks. The song is followed by a not as ''heavy'' verse yet is still awesome, the only thing bad is that is a little bit long. Micro Cuts - The sequel to Citizen Erased cause at the end of citizen erased if you do not stop to hear the record it flows into micro cuts that is almost as good as it's prequel. Screenager - Here goes the song that could've been taking out of the album and changed for the japanese version only song:futurism. Yet the song is not bad at all, it is just the worse of the album. Dark Shines - Amazing intro similar to Hoodoo from black holes and revelations yet this song is 10 times better than hoodoo. The lyrics are awesome and the drums and guitar make the song even better. Flawless. Feeling Good - great lyrics great piano great drums great bass and great guitar. The song is really good and at 1:40 bellamy reaches an impossible note to reach while singing in the loudspeaker. The only thing ''bad'' of this song is the lack of creativity but really good though. Megalomania - awesome closure for this album, really good song with great lyrics and great rythm. The song ends this awesome album with a great diminishing organ with an explosive drums. Futurism(japanese bonus track) - Great song better than screenager but it is a bit weird. This album is foold of amazing songs and I would buy it again and again if I was for any reason to lose it.(or download it again and again). // 10

Origin Of Symmetry Reviewed by: funeralforafrie, on january 15, 2004

Sound: Muse are a very unique and innovative band, singer/guitarist Matt Bellamy uses lots of different effects on his guitar and his voice. Very talented band for a trio. // 10

Lyrics: Although some may call them depressing, some of the lyrics are uplifting, you can see & hear that time was taken with the lyrics, and not just anything written down. // 10

Overall Impression: A brilliant album, full of memorable riffs, choruses etc. The most impressive song on the album has got to be "Citizen Erased", Its a long song, but the changes between piano and guitar are brilliant, and it is just an amazing song. Other good songs include "New Born", "Plug in Baby" and "Hypermusic" a great album! It mixes Modern Rock, Alternative and Classical all in one, and the result is brilliant. // 10

Origin Of Symmetry Reviewed by: CitizenErased98, on april 28, 2004

Sound: This album has one of the more unique sounds I have heard in a long time. Loads of effects are used to make even the simplest riffs sound "out of this world". A statement that I reckon sums up the whole album. Plug in baby riff is a standout but nearly every song progresses from the previous starting with the awesome newborn. Matt Bellamy contrasts piano and crashing guitar riffs such as in Citizen Erased to amazing effect. By far the most unique sounding Muse album so far. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are perhaps the only part of this album I can find any fault with. They are a bit too lightweight in songs like Screenager but on the whole they are fine. Bellamy's voice is great, it may not be to evryones liking but I reckon the way he has the balls (or lack of) to sing those amazing high notes like in the awesome Micro Cuts makes the album stand out from the crowd. // 10

Overall Impression: If you are one of the few poeple that do not own this album, go out and buy it now even if the record stores are charging a rip off price. It is one of those rare albums that will stay in your cd player for months. I definitely would buy it again if somebody nicked it. // 10

Origin Of Symmetry Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 30, 2004

Sound: I have to say, Origin of Symmetry is an amazing tour-de-force of all that is alternative rock. The CD starts off with the excellent 'Newborn', with a piano riff and awesome guitar riffing, then moves into the astounding 'Bliss'. 'Space Dementia' comes next, combining Matthew Bellamy's awe-inspiring vocals with his piano skills (which are 1337 and awesome). Next comes Hyper Music, a suprisingly angry sounding song, and after that the Album's signature track, 'Plug In Baby', with it's memorable and space-age riff. Then comes 'Citizen Erased', my favorite track on the CD, 7 minutes long approx. and with a killer guitar riff mized with excellent high and low vocals and awesome bass/drumming/piano work. Then there is 'Microcuts' (lotso male falsetto singing here), 'Screenager', which is very weird sounding but cool, 'Darkshines', a mexican sounding song, 'Feeling Good', a cover excellently done, and finally, 'Megalomania', a piano piece that draws this astounding album to a close. Also, on the japanese version, there is the killer 'Futurism' which has a pluginbaby style space riff. All in all, excellent. // 10

Lyrics: Matthew Bellamy is an excellent singer, with an amazing vocal range. The lyrics never fail to impress, espiacally in Citizen Erased. The range of emotions displayed in the album's songs are very good. // 10

Overall Impression: It is one of the best albums. Ever. Buy it, or fail ultimately. Citizen Erased, Newborn, Bliss, Plug in Baby, Space Dementia, Screenager, Hyper Music, and Megalomania are all excellent. The other two are also very good. I love this album. I hate nothing about it. If it were stolen, I would hunt down the thief and make sure he gets his just desserts. // 10

Origin Of Symmetry Reviewed by: virginrealities, on may 13, 2005

Sound: I know this album is pretty old, but since I live in Canada, this CD was never released over here. I had to go through a lot of irritating stuff to get this CD, and let me tell you, it was worth it. Every penny. Every postage stamp. Because, quite simply, this is an amazing record. If you've heard Muse's other two studio CDs, Showbiz and Absolution, Origin has a very different sound then these two, but still manages to be completely Muse. Showbiz had the slow Jeff Buckley songs and the Radiohead-esque riffs, Absolution has it's almost cinematic, grand arrangement, and Origin of Symmetry. Well, there's no real label to describe that one. I'll try to sum it up with a few well-place analogies. Origin of Symmetry is what a cool astronaut listens to in space. Origin of Symmetry is what a neon blue-haired guitar fanatic plays through in order to impress his girlfriend. Origin of Symmetry is pure sci-fi, pure experimental noodling, pure ass-kicking musicanship, and pure genius. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are just as well-written as Muse's other albums. There are dark lyrics, like in Plug in Baby's "crucifies my enemies when I'm tired of living", and the mellow sadness of "All the scars on your skin post no bills" in Screenager. Citizen Erased laments a lost love at the end of the thunderous song. "Wash me away, clean your body of me, erase all the memories, they'll only bring us pain..." Such words can be irritating spouting from the mouth of an overhyped emo god, but from Matt Bellamy, they're hauntingly beautiful. // 10

Overall Impression: I think I've said enough, thank you! // 10

Origin Of Symmetry Reviewed by: SYH_Fan, on september 29, 2005

Sound: Most of the songs have catchy opening riffs, fuzzed-out chords and synth backing. The solos rely on elaborate effects and speed to create a smoke and mirrors effect to make them sound sophisticated. The balance between power and melody is always a fine line, but Muse seems to have found a magic formula that avoids the "emo" tag. People compare them to Radiohead, but frankly, Muse has much more of an edge and power, and only the vocals remind me of them. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are good. I wouldn't call them great. I just don't think they are very poetic. This is not really a problem; since the music is so good the lyrics just need to "hold the fort" and they do. // 8

Overall Impression: The album is very fuzzy, a la "Siamese Dream" (Smashing Pumpkins) as it opens with the track "New Born." The most memorable riff is from "Plug In Baby." I love the uniqueness of the band; they stray from the beaten path. It's pretty incredible how they created a multi-dimensional sound from a three piece band. The worst part is how short it is (11 tracks). The falsettos on "Citizen Erased" are less than perfect (strangely, the falsettos are better live). I would definetly replace it if it was stolen. // 9

Origin Of Symmetry Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 23, 2006

Sound: Muse are a very unique band with a very unique sound that is truly cemented in this record. Some of the feats of musical wizardry that are barely imaginable, never mind possible to do. // 10

Lyrics: As always the lyrics and the skill of Mathew Bellemy's voice on every song are brilliant and different. The best Lyrics oddly enough come from the one song that they did not write them. "Felling Good" has instantly connecting and simple lyrics that describe Muse perfectly "And this old world is a new world and a bold world." // 10

Overall Impression: The best songs on the album are as follows (in order they appear on the album): 01. New Born - a blistering attack on the senses with a true metal riff from the pits of hell and awesome drumming by Dominic Howard. 02. Bliss - one of the greatest songs ever commited to tape with unbeliveable keyboarding from Mathew Belemy and great bass guitar work from Chris Wolstenhome. 05. Plug In Baby - Godly riff up there with the likes of "The Boys Are Back In Town" by Thin Lizzy and "Sweet Child O' Mine" by Guns N' Roses. 06. Citizen Erased - even better than Bliss, the best song on the album with great playing by Mathew Bellemy in a 7 minute peice of metal genius. 09. Darkshines - a song of awesome quality with devistating lyrics. 10. Feeling Good - a cover of the jazz classic with a new, distortion twist that turns it into a definative statement in British music history. Overall this album should have changed the world to the level that Metallica's masterpeice "Master Of Puppets" did back in 1986. It is full with classic songs and hidden gems. // 10

Origin Of Symmetry Reviewed by: PRWNDWIA, on february 23, 2006

Sound: First impressions eh well its new born and damn good first impression it makes too, great singing and piano parts and when the guitar kicks in great guitar too. It pretty much sets the album up that song as to what to expefct from the other songs. Matt really can sing and play piano and he really shows off on this record, infact his guitar is damn good aswell. The bass also plays quite a big roll in this ablum too, chris is a really good bassist who fits it into the music perfectly! One bad thing I really hate the piano-y vocal type songs like Space Dementia and Meglomania, I'm also not a big fan of some of the other heavier stuff on this album like Citizens Erased and Hyper Music, it just seems to almost oprah like, but the dislike quickly fades when you hear songs like Bliss, Plug In Baby and Darkshines! // 8

Lyrics: Singing! The guys got to be one of the best vocalists currently in rock! The melody and everything is excellent albeit a bit borinmg at times but excellent all the same! I'm not really a big fan of the lyrics on this album compared to others they seem to have a meaning and understanding which you have to really search for, but that could be because I'm too drawn into the music to care about the lyrics. But Bliss is certainly a song with an easy meaning and great lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: This album in my opinion isnt as good as other muse albums infact I would recommend just downloading the good tracks off this album (Bliss, Plug In Baby, New Born, Feeling Good etc.) if your only into rock music, because a lot of the arranements on this album rock fans probably wont appreciate. Having said that this is till a great album but only because of the main songs mentioned before although Darkshines is a bit of a hidden gem on the album. All in all not as good as other albums, but still a great album, personally I would just buy Absolution if you want great Muse! // 8

Origin Of Symmetry Reviewed by: TanookiNation, on may 08, 2006

Sound: Simply put, this recording is brilliant. The chord progressions and grooves are great. The bass has a nice, dirty growl for some of the songs that just screams awesome. The guitars are just at the right level to not be overpowering. The vocals cut though cleary and are intelligible. Matthew Bellamy shows guitar and keyboard composing that could only be regarded at least to be flawless. // 9

Lyrics: Each song is topped off with fantastic lyrics. Enough said. Matthew Bellamy really tied the lyrics to the emotions that each song produce. // 10

Overall Impression: I would consider this to be Muse's greatest album. Absolution may be the album that got them recognized, but his album is a must have for anyone who enjoys Muse. My personal favorites on the album would be "Bliss", which opens with a very Phillip-Glass-sounding synth intro that rips into a sweet groove, and the song "Screenager" which has some excellent classical guitar work with some bone chilling progressions. If this album was stolen, I wouldn't hesitate to go out and buy it again. // 10

Origin Of Symmetry Reviewed by: Sinder Velvin, on may 15, 2006

Sound: I am sure you all know that some albums grow on you after a while. You do not like them initially, but you end up loving them. To me, this album has been the exact opposite of that. Being a Radiohead fan, I initially slightly liked this band. The epic feel, the intensity: almost pleasant. After listening to it for a while, however, I realized Muse doesn't just sound like Radiohead. No, Muse's sound is a blatant over the top rip-off of Radiohead's, a sound which Muse fans try to pass off as "unique", "original", "innovative". The instrumental skills of the band members are okay (But not good.), but all the songs sound the same after a while. Boring. // 5

Lyrics: The lyrics are awful. Ridiculous and immature. It's something a 12 or 13 year old would write, except sometimes with slightly fancier words. Here's an example: "You'll make us want to die/ I'd cut your name in my heart/ We'll destroy this world for you/ I know you want me to feel your pain". None of it really makes any sense anyway. And the singing? It's not singing, it's wailing. Wailing, wailing, and then some more wailing. Abysmal. // 2

Overall Impression: This is not a good album. Or an original one. It is, however, very, very overrated, but nontheless a small curiosity through its extreme pretentiousness. Best to spend your money on something else, if you ask me. Unless boring Radiohead rip-offs are your kind of thing. I do like two songs on the album: "Bliss" and "Plug In Baby." But not too much. They have the same flaws as all the other songs on the album. If the album was stolen, I would pity the thief for not stealing something better. There is no way anyone can steal it, though, I am giving it away to one of my musically inept friends. // 3

Origin Of Symmetry Reviewed by: Uzi, on july 03, 2006

Sound: Totally epic. Every muse album is a definite 10. This band will definitely be the next big thing. Seriously. They might be the next Led Zep or Queen. They keep getting bigger and better. Totally different from the first album. Muse is Queen meets Rage Against The Machine meets classical music meets Jimi Hendrix. Lots of extremely cool riffs. For those who said that this band has sold out, they are dead wrong. Maverick Records wanted them to remove the falsetto so that their songs would be more radio friendly. But they didn't. They are also one of the greatest live bands there is right now. Matt can really jump around without making mistakes on his guitar. And he improvise a lot on stage. // 10

Lyrics: This album is mostly about the far away future. Matt's voice is quite annoying at first. But once you get used to it, you'll love it. // 7

Overall Impression: I'll give a 10 or 9 out of ten if think its a classic. 'Cause I'm more into that kinda stuff. But frankly speaking, all the songs in this album is perfect. I never skip any tracks when I listen to this album. 01. New Born - really big starting song. it starts off with really quiet piano sounds. I thought it was gonna be another slow piano song until I heard the crazy riff. extremely cool. made me want to jump around with my air guitar and bop my head like mad. 02. Bliss - very beautiful song. Simple but very good. 03. Space Dementia - a dark song. Great piano skills. 04. Hypermusic - this one totally rocks out. Fast paced song. The vocals in this song is amazing. 05. Plug In Baby - very catchy riff that will really stick in your head. Happy song. 06. Citizen Erased - this one is an epic song. Considered by many Muse fans to be one of their best songs. This song is played on a 7 string guitar. 07. Micro Cuts - you have to listen for yourself. there was a big suprise for me at the end. No spoilers for you. Totally unpredictable. It is the ending part that made me listen to the song over and over again. I love the whole song. 08. Screenager - I like the classical guitar in this song. Beautiful. 09. Darkshines 10. Feeling Good - a real feel good song. This is a cover. There's a really cool vocal solo somewhere at the end. 11. Megalomania. // 10

Origin Of Symmetry Reviewed by: TimeIzRuninOut!, on july 15, 2006

Sound: Well I may be 5 years out of date, but this album will never get old to me. Perfect sound, and in my opinion, levels Muse hadn't reached before and never will again, sadly. With the "loud-rock" songs, in one way to describe them, such as 'Plug In Baby' and 'Hyper Music' and brilliantly crafted slower songs such as 'Bliss' and 'Citizen Erased' and then the nice mixtures of both in songs like 'New Born' and the cover track 'Feeling Good' all make this album sound amazing! With such a broad mixture of all different styles of which Muse can pull of quite fantastically, this album stands out from all the bands other attempts. But Muse albums, as you may agree, are not really comparable becase their sound changes every album, for the better. This is why I think this stands out so much, as this is the sound they have come up with which grabs my attention most! // 10

Lyrics: Matt Bellamy's lyrics are not only great, but inspiring too. He's a great songwriter, but it doesn't compare to his singing voice. He can sing, he can shout, he can shriek and pull them all off perfectly. Although I dont think this is the bets Muse album lyrically, its the best sounding, and the best vocally, so this is why I'm giving this section a 10, but mainly just because I like the album so much I want it to have perfect reviews! // 10

Overall Impression: Well as you have probably gethered by now, I quite like this album, so my overall impression in that it will earn its place in the history books for years to come, and if it doesn't, its always got a home in my CD player! Unless its stolen, then a brand new copy of the album will take its place. Same as if it were to be lost or scratched etc. Hm, most impressive songs on the album have got to be the first three, 'New Born', 'Bliss', and 'Space Dementia', along with later tracks such as 'Darkshines' and 'Feeling Good'. The one thing I hate about this album is when it ends! I just want it to continue through its magnificent sound, and brilliant vocals, so obviously, this section also gets a high rating from me! // 10

Origin Of Symmetry Reviewed by: Nimrod., on january 21, 2009

Sound: this album shouldn't really be classed a one genre. Parts are Prog-rock, parts are more pop influenced, some is operatically influenced, and a bit of it is a bit bluesy! It is easier to judge song by song: 01.New Born: the album opener. Starts off quietly with a piano intro, and soobn switches into one of the most epic songs I have ever heard. Heavy distortion in the chorus, catchy bass rhythms in the verse and vocals that make you pick up that air guitar and play along! 02.Bliss: a more pop-influenced number. the piece runs with an digitally augmented arppegio piano/synth which sticks into your mind and doesn't dissappear. Along with a strong bass line, power chords and well-placed dynamics, this song really is, as Matthew has said himself, a 'crowdmover'. 03.Space Dimentia: this is very different. No guitars this time, a piano, bass, drums and a synth is a different lineup of instruments from anything on their previous album. The introduction sets an erie tone, with some incredible piano skills on display. This runs into the aggressive piano riff which powers through the verse, with the synth taking over in the chorus for a softer sound, along with effects on the vocals. 04.Hyper Music: contains one of those incredible riffs that Muse are so good at, this piece is one of the most aggressive they have ever written. Hard and fast describes this piece perfectly. Runs onto Plug-in Baby. 05.Plug-In Baby: this is one of the best songs they have ever written. With one of the most distinctive guitar riffs in existance. Along with a brilliant bassline, a vocal range that runs from an average man's vocal range to some of the highest (but not the very highest! ) vocals you may ever hear from a man. A must learn piece for any guitarists. 06.Citizen Erased: their longest piece ever. His only song in which Matthew uses his 7-string guitar, it is a fantastic mixture of guitar riffs, chord arppegios, synth sound effects and powerful vocals. Worth all 7:19 minutes. 07.Micro Cuts: based on opperatic music, This piece contains Matthew singing a high G#, the highest note he has ever sung in a studio recording (also sung in Showbiz - Showbiz). Very interesting piece. 08.Screenager: mostly acoustic, this piecetakes a number of listens to fully appreciate, and I woundn't say that it was their best. The synth chorus is a highlight, though, and is still a very good piece. 09.Darkshines: uses a MIDI controller for the fake-trumpet solo, This too is a bit unusual. but much better than Screenager, I would say. The crazy piano chords in the pre-chorus are my favourite parts, but the the whole piece is an enjoyable experience. 10.Feeling Good: a cover of a blues classic, this piece is one of the best songs of the album, going for just a keyboard, bass and drums. This is my favourite version of the song, and it is one of very best pieces Muse has ever performed. Really gets you singing along. 11.Megalomania: the only song that uses a church organ - yes, a church organ, and a few unusual techniques in the percussion. No guitars, this song is a fantastic way to end the album, with a climax through the piece. Prompts you to take that 'evil genius' stance during the chorus, especially in the chords opening the chorus. The end just feels extraordinary. // 9

Lyrics: Matthew is a poetic genius. The lyrics have both obvious and hidden, deep meanings which make him a fantastic lyracist. His vocal range is incredible; it rivals the late and great Feddie Mercury! He truely has a way with words. I'm sure every guitarist knows exactly what he means when he sings "My plug-in Baby cricifies my enemies when I'm tired of giving". His lyrics are no dissappointment on this album. // 10

Overall Impression: Out of all of Muse's creations, The Origin Of Symmetry has some of the most varied content they have ever written. It has both the prog-rock with synths you expect from Matthew, Chris and Dom, but it also has some interesting pieces that on a first listen would be a complete surprise. I must admit that it is my favourite Muse album, as it has some of their most epic-sounding masterpieces. If I lost it, would I buy it again? No. I would find who stole it, beat them into a can, and take it back myself. It would be worth it. // 10

More Muse reviews rating latest review
+ Live At Rome Olympic Stadium 7.9 12/09/2013