Mushroomhead Review

Released: Jul 8, 2003
Label: Harvest Media Group
Genre: Rock
Styles: Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal
This is an excellent debute album.
 9.8
 9.5
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Mushroomhead Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 10, 2005

Sound: The sound of Mushroomhead's first self-titled album was more original than the other albums. I love their wide range of influences on all their albums, especially this one. They mix more media with music. And they mix more electric keyboards and synthesizers with hard rock. And the dual vocals give the sound more diversity. The riffs of the guitars where simple yet complex. The drumming did it's job in creating the beat for each sound. The electric keyboards and synthesizers gave the album more originality. The bass blended in so well with the mix of guitars and drums. The samples/media also gave this album more originality and more meaning. // 10

Lyrics: My overall impression of the lyrics? Well, I have to say Mushroomhead's vocalists Jason "J Mann" Popson and Jeffery "Nothing" Hatrix are two excellent song writers. Their lyrics are some of the best I have ever heard. In this album, their lyrics were more simple compared to lyrics off of M3 and XIII. The lyrics really fit the mood of the music. And the vocalist's skills, impressive. Both, Jason and Jeffery, are awesome singers. In this album, Jeffery really explores different vocal styles, whereas Jason stayed on the standard screams in most songs. But in Ego Trip and 2nd Thoughts, he really did some exploring. For those who are used to Jason only screaming, Ego Trip will blow your freaking mind! // 10

Overall Impression: Personally this is one of my most favorite albums out of every existing album. Now, some may not like nu-metal or whatever, this is just my personal opinion. My overall impression is this: compared to other artists, well, lets just says there's no comparision. The most impressive, original, and diverse songs off this record would have to be Ego Trip, 2nd Thoughts, Indifferent, Simpleton, Elevation, and of course Snap. I love how they mix so many influences and so many genres and styles. There's nothing I dislike about the album. And if it were stolen or lost, I would definitely buy this again, and maybe I'd buy another for the heck of it just so I could hang on my wall and say "Hey, that's one of the best albums ever made." // 10

More Mushroomhead reviews rating latest review
+ The Righteous & The Butterfly 6.4 05/16/2014