British Rendez-vous Review

Music Is Not Fun: British Rendez-vous
Released: Sep 28, 2009
Genre: Rock
Label: P Box
This album leans toward the slightly absurd, however, this album is also just full of truly good music.
 9.3
 8.7
 9.8
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
British Rendez-vous Reviewed by: Rising_Sun91, on february 25, 2010

Sound: Now I've seen it all-a french indie band playing in the British Indie style. This 4-piece band favours a sound slightly similar to The Kooks, but they're hard to pin down. Their music, I gather, is born of a liking of this style of music, but a dislike of the pretentious and pompous indie kids they've come across at their favourite band's gigs. So, why not make an album which both pays homage to and parodies the style? And it works. Some common things I've noticed (and this album is surprisingly very broad in style) are the use of strong echo on vocals, an attempt to make a british accent (which just doesn't work, but the french accent works strangely), and crunching guitars which are very reminiscent of earlier Arctic Monkeys records. As I mentioned earlier, although this style usually has a singer with a cockney accent, the accent coming across is VERY french. And it works too, its truly an innovation, a breath of fresh air. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics parody many facets of british, and in particular, London culture. The song "Teenage Love" is particularly scathing in their analysis of a 23 year old dating a teen. However, the fact the lyrics are not written by someone whose mother tongue is English is very obvious, but it adds to the fun and the absurdity of some of the parodies. There's also a real sense your everyday indie kid is being made fun of in the first single off this album, "(do you love) my shoes?" and the average english citizen who enjoys HP sauce in "HP (please!)" // 8

Overall Impression: This album leans toward the slightly absurd, however, unlike many parodies I can think of, this album is also just full of truly good music, although it makes fun of the more mainstream side of the indie culture, it is actually music you could play at a party or with a band at a gig (someone needs to cover "(do you love) my shoes?" at an indie gig and let me know how many indie kids actually dance to it) and it could raise a crowd, albeit a chuckling one. As a matter of fact, this album, despite the fact I'm not big on parody music and musical comedy, is one of my favourites right now, I couldn't recommend it more to a fan of subtle parody and indie music alike. // 9

Comments