Friends, Lovers, Rivals Review

Mutineers: Friends, Lovers, Rivals
Released: Nov 1, 2010
Genre: Alternative/Indie/Pop
Label: Tri tone
"Friends, Lovers, Rivals" really stands out in the Alternative section as unique, I can't think of an album to compare it too. Mixing pop-punk sounds with catchy guitar riffs, leading to songs that really get stuck in your head - and not in a bad way.
 8.4
 9.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Friends, Lovers, Rivals Reviewed by: AlexChesters, on january 31, 2012

Sound: For a debut album, the sound is very good, particularly on "One Last Chance". I'm led to believe that the title, "Friends, Lovers, Rivals" is the three main stages of a relationship, a theme which is prevalent in "Shadow Kisses" and "My Landlords Daughter". Mixing pop-punk sounds with catchy guitar riffs, leading to songs that really get stuck in your head - and not in a bad way. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are very impressive, and work well with the music - something which doesn't feature on many debut albums. However, the singer's skills aren't fantastic, which can easily be heard when trying to reach high notes. // 6

Overall Impression: "Friends, Lovers, Rivals" really stands out in the Alternative section as unique, I can't think of an album to compare it too. The most impressive songs from the album are "Shadow Kisses", "Apologies", "One Last Chance" and "Alone In Our Ideas", the first being my personal favourite. One of the best things about this album is the fact that it really is unique, and one of the best debut albums you're likely to come across. The one real negative is the vocals, as the singer struggles when trying to reach the higher notes. Never-the-less, a fantastic album! // 7

Comments