Mutiny Within Review

Mutiny Within: Mutiny Within
Released: Feb 23, 2010
Genre: Metal
Label: Roadrunner Records
New Jerseys newest metal band tries a lot of things on its self-titled, Roadrunner debut. Progressive, but not quite prog. Melodic, but certainly not overtly commercial.
 8.8
 8.7
 8.8
Mutiny Within Reviewed by: UG Team, on february 22, 2010

Sound: Mutiny Within's self-titled debut is densely packed with a lot of elements. Maybe that's because half the band hails from New Jersey, a fertile musical breeding ground and the other half hails from England. To call Mutiny Within a prog band isn't quite accurate, because it implies that the band is piping out noodly solos and displaying a flair for the dramatic. However, there are plenty of progressive elements on 10 song collection that must be acknowledged. Chunky riffs and complex layering of sounds populate this album, which means a Fates Warning fan will appreciate songs such as Awake or Year of Affliction as easily as a Testament or Shadows Fall fan would. There are plenty of impressive, showy riffs about two-and-a-half minutes into Images- but there is so much going on in every song that the album and your ears will be best served when listened to through headphones. There's no core, as in deathcore or metalcore, here at all; instead, Mutiny Within is a bit more forward-thinking and ultimately, risky, by foregoing barks and grunts in favor of a huge, melodic voice. We also like Falling Forever, which would please even the snootiest DragonForce fan with its bigness. And please note, we don't mean sounds like when we say that. It means there is some sort of music kinship that isn't exactly overt. // 8

Lyrics: Vocalist Chris Clancy possesses a set of pipes that'll make you weep, if you want to be a singer that hits high notes. The singer could have a future outside of metal if he so chooses, but his work on Mutiny Within is stellar. He has soaring vocals, but never sounds overly flashy or look at me! in his delivery, as some progressively-minded vocalists tend to do. The album's vocals are about 75% clean, with some layered grows throughout, but for the most part, it's the Chris Clancy Clean Vocal Show, as his voice leaves a mark and fully complements the music that he sings over. // 8

Overall Impression: It might take a minute for Mutiny Within to find its audience, because the band is new and it's increasingly harder for new bands to connect with fickle music fans. But since metal fans are known for their loyalty and their hunger for new bands, once Mutiny Within are discovered, metalheads will be impressed by the scope of their sound. Sure, it's mostly clean vocals, which a lot of metal fans turn their noses up at, but that's the style that best fits the smartly constructed music. So growl-worshippers will likely hate this. However, it's ambitious, and therefore, we'd love to see what Mutiny Within does next. That said, if you like riffy displays and peaks-grazing vocals, give this a shot. // 8

- Amy Sciarretto (c) 2010

Mutiny Within Reviewed by: KsE909, on march 04, 2010

Sound: The first thing you hear on the opening track Awake, is the immensely beefy sound of guitars, and some sick blast beats. Then vocalist Chris Clancy opens his mouth, and you are left with the sweet sound of Mutiny Within. Shredding solo's, insane riffs that bust your guts and melt your face. The production quality is amazing, as is anything from Roadrunner Records. The drums are thick and clear, the keyboards are noticeable, the bass is low and heavy, and the vocals are epic. Just as the doctor ordered. Every song ends with you wanting more. You might find yourself grabbing your guitar/bass/keyboard and try to find out what key the song is in, just so you can play along to it. You'll find this difficult, due to the wondrous guitar skills executed by the at the time 18 year old guitarist. Brandon Jacobs shows off his guitar prowess that shows he studied hard long hours alone in his bedroom. Its looks like spending his time learning Necrophagist albums payed off. Drummer Bill shows how drums were meant to be played, with double bass and blast beats that would make any metalhead proud. A strong sound from the New Jersey/England boys. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics reminds me of a better time when those counted just as much as a solo. Howard Jones would be proud, Phil Labonte would be jealous, and we will all relate to them. Chris delivers every line and every syllable with such force, that you'll put this CD on repeat and fall asleep to it every nite for a week, because you just can't get enough. Every lyric fits in perfectly with the music behind it, every chorus is catchy, and every song has a hook. And Chris shows his vocal talent and pushes his voice to near perfection. The opening high note on Falling Forever is all the proof you need. And lets not forget the nice mixture of growls and screams, that will satisfy your core side. Songs like Lethean and Year of Affliction lets you know there is a screamer/growler deep inside Chris. The mix is about 80% clean vocals, 20% screaming, so if you love the clean and melodic, this is the band for you. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is an instant classic. Its an album you will actually go out and buy, instead of download off Frostwire. Songs like Falling Forever, Undone, Suffocate, Oblivion, and Forsaken are the songs that show off every members never ending talent. This is a band that is is easy to fall in love with, and even easier to become obsessed with. I can't wait to hear new material from these guys in the future. As for now, I'm left with this amazing album. I think I can last. Check this band out, I promise you won't regret it. In fact, you might just thank me. // 9

Comments