At The Show Review

mxpx: At The Show
Release Date: Jul 1999
Label: Tooth & Nail
Genres: Punk-Pop, Christian Punk, Alternative Pop/Rock, Alternative CCM
They've certainly done their punk homework, but you have to be a dedicated follower to find this collection absolutely essential.
 9.4
 9.7
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
At The Show Reviewed by: phrank496, on november 14, 2005

Sound: The sound is what MxPx has always been, a Punk-Pop band with almost every song being love-oriented but never losing their originallity and simple but catchy chord progressions. For some reason I have always seen MxPx labeled as "Christian punk," well, I haven't heard any song being punk and Christian-oriented (there is some contradiction there, but what the hell) at least made by MxPx, so don't take the "Christian" thing too serious. The recording is pretty well done, you can easily hear the bass, the guitar, the drums and Mike's voice clearly in all of the 22 songs, also it has been produced by Bill Stevenson, from my favorite band: The Descendents! This CD also includes a "bonus-track" (making it with 23 songs) called "KKK Took My Baby Away" that is an excellent cover made to The Ramone's song. The track listing includes well-known classics, like "Chick Magnet," "Punk Rawk Show," "Party, My House, Be There," "I'm OK, You're OK" and alot more. // 9

Lyrics: Mike Herrera is one of the best song-writters around (at least for me). And knows very good how to express his emotions in the writing process and when singing. Also, is good to hear some fun songs on this album, like "Chick Magnet" or "Punk Rawk Show" that althought talk in some way about girls, it is not taken so serious like in other songs. The guitar, the bass, and the drums fit almost perfectly with all the songs and there are also some "little solos" in a few songs, like in "The Theme Fiasco", I love that bass! // 10

Overall Impression: This is the album that I will recommend to anyone that wants an "introduction" to MxPx, it includes all the styles that MxPx has done. My favorite songs off this album are "Party, My House, Be There," "Punk Rawk Show" and the bonus track "KKK Took My Baby Away" to name a few. The last one being an awasome cover of The Ramones. The track listing is very well chosen and I never got bothered listening to this CD over and over again (although I always skip GSF). The only thing I could hate is that "Responsibility" and "Play It Loud" which are my favorite songs are not included, but it's not their fault since they were not released yet by the time this concert was recorded (1995). If I lost it or if someone stole it from me, I'll definitley buy it again. // 10

At The Show Reviewed by: causomeguy35, on august 08, 2007

Sound: Its MxPx that's all I have to say j/k. Their sound is awesome but I kinda don't like the songs they do that our older because they don't sound as good. But they do have numerous good songs on there. Although in some songs the song is too fast for Mike and you don't know what he's saying they just still make the songs awesome. Obviously they have Punk Rawk Show but I kinda like th original better. But with some songs like Want Ad and Middlename they make the song better by going faser then the original song which is a good thing. Some others like Party, My House, Be There, Under Lock and Key, and Chick Magnet are probably my favorite songs on there because of how MxPx plays them live. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are good because they're songs on recent CDs so I've heard them before but that doesnt't change the fact that the lyrics are awesome. But some songs you don't know what they're singing like in Fist vs Tact and Under Lock and Key so it makes it hard to understand what they're saying. That's really all I have to say about their lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: Only one real thing I hate about it-Cold and All Alone. I just don't like the song at all cause to me it sux. But I like everything else about it. This is also a pretty good CD to start off with cause you get an all around taste of their older stuff. This was the 1st 1 I got them which led me to getting their cds which are awesome. If you like MxPx get this CD. If you don't like MxPx get this CD because their awesome! // 10

More Mxpx reviews rating latest review
+ Life In General 9.2 01/28/2010