Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys Review

Lyrics: 8.6
 8.4
 8.6
 8.2
Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 19, 2010

Sound: After releasing The Black Parade to great aplomb, one would be forgiven for thinking that My Chemical Romance would sit back on their laurels and write a "sequel" to the concept album that dealt with life and death in such an emotional way. Well thankfully, Gerard Way and Co have ripped up the rule book and written an album that not only transcends the punk/pop genres, but an album chock-full of killer riffs, choruses and energy. Danger Days could, in all fairness be considered a concept album. From the introduction by fictional DJ Death Defying, Danger Days tells the story of the lives of the "Fabulous Killjoys". The band poses as the four Killjoys: "Party Poison" (Gerard Way), "Jet Star" (Ray Toro), "Fun Ghoul" (Frank Iero), and "Kobra Kid" (Mikey Way), The Killjoys are fighting for freedom against an evil corporation in the year 2019 and every track gives you a taste of their journey towards notoriety. Artsy, punchy, punky and downright epic - Danger Days is a massive leap forward by a band who could've been pigeonholed as emo but have shaken off the label and re-invented their sound and it has certainly reinvigorated them. // 10

Lyrics: Gerard Way was always criticised on The Black Parade for his whiny storytelling and thankfully, on Danger Days he has opted for a snarling punky sound to his singing. The lyrics tell the story of our heroes, fighting against an evil conglomerate and each song is a brilliant little tribute to the set-piece that is being played out in the story. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to The Black Parade, Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge & I Brought You My Bullets - Danger Days is a breath of fresh air. Combining killer hooks with energy, fun and a song-writing audacity that hasn't often been seen since Queen. My Chemical Romance have ripped up the formula they followed in their previous albums and have starting building the foundations of their career from scratch - to sensational effect. I would highly recommend buying Danger Days - it is a remarkable listen from start to finish. Particular highlights have to Bulletproof Heart, Party Poison and The Kids From Yesterday. // 10

Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys Reviewed by: takenthecannoli, on november 22, 2011

Sound: In celebration of the one year anniversary of "Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys", I thought it was time to delve into the record for a full review. Though this somewhat lessens the hype factor, it hopefully increases accuracy. After the massive successes of 2004's "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge" and 2006's "The Black Parade", My Chemical Romance faced a crisis. Having achieved mainstream attention only to be disowned by the media as a whole in a "death cult" controversy, frontman Gerard Way faced many of the same issues previous icons have, primarily with his and his band's image. With their 2009 cover of Bob Dylan's "Desolation Row" for the "Watchmen" soundtrack, it was suspected the band would take to the proto-punk look. This was, in a sense, confirmed in interviews following. The band began to speak of a stripped-down sound for their fourth release, though with the departure of drummer Bob Bryar came rumors of something entirely new. A trailer featuring the opening "Na Na Na (Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na)" was released, sporting laser guns, a Trans-AM, and the band dressed in triumphantly colorful, leathery outfits. The My Chemical Romance fanbase was thus introduced to post-apocalyptic California 2019. The album opens with Dr Death Defying, who acquaints the listener with this desert world in a flurry of "Clockwork Orange"-like slang, and blasts into "Na Na Na". Instead of stripped-down proto punk, a ridiculously glam/punk/Batman theme (listen for it) fusion thrusts the listener into an exciting, almost sci-fi world. As bizarre at it sounds coming from "Famous Last Words" or even the Dylan cover, this is as Chemical Romance as it gets. Although it barely resembles anything released by the band in the past, there is an undeniable energy and deftness with which the song (and those following) are crafted. This band has gone from being a rock band leaning in the darker direction to being a rock band, period, and they've done it as though "Danger Days" is their fourth time around. Another interesting aspect of the record is its cinematic nature. Though the 2019 world lends itself to a narrative album just as the plots to the band's previous albums have, the musical structure of "Danger Days" suggests the best of film in the eighties. With "Look Alive Sunshine/Na Na Na" acting as a prologue, the album falls into opening credits with "Bulletproof Heart". Being one of a few tracks reworked for "Danger Days", "Bulletproof Heart" in its 2010 (or, shall I say, 2019?) incarnation is a no-holds-barred mixture of eighties rock/pop with a gentle but deliberate My Chemical Romance touch in crafting it. Despite its vast dissimilarities with "Helena" or "Vampires Will Never Hurt You", the style is handled by all members with just as much familiarity. Look out for some surprising (but exciting) "doo wop"s in the second verse. "SING" is fascinating. As strange as it gets following, this may be the most bizarre track on the record. Though it is somewhat straightforward (perhaps even pandering to a mainstream audience to some degree), it is also the hardest to call a My Chemical Romance song. Yes, it follows their previously established "individualist" ideology, which is exactly what makes it difficult to listen to. Though one can certainly fit it into the context of an oppressive government in 2019, the blatancy of the track may very easily interrupt the listening experience. Unlike "Thank You For The Venom", which was a bit too vague to directly relate to any individual religious group and a bit too easy to fit into the storyline, "SING" speaks directly to a very American youth. By planting it firmly in 21st century America, not only validity, but longevity, is threatened. Despite this, it is a very ominous and engaging song. "Planetary (GO!)" has come under much scrutiny for how outgoing it is, but in light of how well the band has handled outright energy up to now, I don't see it as a terrible track, or even as anything but a very good one. Yes, the techno vibe is hard to swallow at first, but it expands "Danger Days" in scope by including not only glam and pop, but the more synthesized sounds of the previous age. Gerard Way's vocals are particularly smooth in certain areas, which, as the voice behind "I'm Not Okay", he should most certainly be applauded for. Diversity is a prominent musical theme in this album, and he is at the front lines of it. "The Only Hope For Me Is You" presents a challenge: combining My Chemical Romance past and future. Preceding the "Jet Star And The Kobra Kid" interlude as it does, the track marks the end of the album's first half. At the same time, it offers some closure for those who may otherwise find fault in the band's drastic change in sound by combining the feel of "Danger Days" with something of a post-"Black Parade" flavor. It presents the most "modern" sound, a sort of alt/rock with some synthesized elements. Save for "Na Na Na", it has the strongest chorus in the first half, and the fiercest guitars. After a brief check-up from Dr Death Defying, the album launches into the album's better half. "Party Poison" is a thrilling proto-punk/glam combo, complete with raucous clapping of hands and a great guitar riff. Reworked from a previous fan-favorite "Death Before Disco", the song has a firmer stake in the Californian desert sand. Here, guitarists Frank Iero and Ray Toro have some of their best moments, which up to now have been somewhat blindsided by other elements. This is especially upsetting considering the previous two releases from the band and an excellent symmetry between the two (See "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge" for the best of this relationship). "Party Poison" has arguably the biggest ending on the album, and pulls us even further along the "Danger Days" roller coaster. "Save Yourself, I'll Hold Them Back" is another reworked track, though nothing but circa-2009-or-2010 interviews would give that away. We're into the eighties and nineties now - Bon Jovi elements thrown into a Guns N' Roses thrill with an opening almost reminiscent of Incubus. Though it has one of the weaker chorus builds, it also boasts one of the better guitar solos and uses of profanity. From this point on, please excuse any bias. After a year, I have become terribly attached to "S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W", and it has been one of my favorites from the beginning. This is the song that comes with a realization that My Chemical Romance could well have been at the forefront of post-Magical Mystery Tour weirdness. Not only is the song odd in its very self, but technique and grandiose in every seeping second excuse any "but this isn't their old stuff" syndrome. The song is crafted with such mastery, it could well have been hailed as one of their best, given the chance. Way's voice melts into every verse, and the bridge feels about ten miles high. This is one of My Chemical Romance's biggest-sounding songs ever, and though its outrageousness may alienate it from the charts, it does not in any way deter from the album. Keeping with the record's tradition of celebrating the many faces of rock, it adds a magnificent layer to an already exciting release. Pop wand synth were prominent elements in "Bulletproof Heart", but synth/pop itself was kept for "Summertime". As the band's first real honest-to-goodness love song, it's an appropriate route to take. What was not expected was the song's overwhelmingly genuine lyrical/musical bond. The band is well-known for, at times, painful honesty, but as in the case of many other songs, "Summertime" feels very real. It may as well have come straight out of the era from whence it draws inspiration. This isn't just another kiddie love song. Presumably devoting it to some extent to his wife, Way handles the song very meticulously and compassionately. The result is a touching little piece that will undoubtedly be overshadowed by "I Don't Love You" which, while a decent song, has nowhere near the beautiful honesty (and elating guitars) of "Summertime". "DESTROYA" evokes much of the nineties, primarily grunge (in the veins of Rage Against The Machine, to a degree, and others). Following the incredible creativity of the record up to this point, "DESTROYA" is a bit hard to reconcile with. It does everything most of the other songs do, though perhaps a bit less blatantly. That may be why I still can't fall in love with this song - it doesn't try hard enough, yet it tries too hard. It gives very little, but attempts to force that little bit down. Once you've swallowed, there isn't much in terms of nourishment. It isn't a final battle with the corrupt either, yet "The Kids From Yesterday" would sound strange coming immediately after "Summertime". To put it shortly, though "DESTROYA" is required to get us from one place to another, it could have been handled with much more oomph than it is. That being said, the ride-into-the-sunset, "The Kids From Yesterday", is an incredible reconciliation with past-and-present-My Chemical Romance. Yes, it serves its purpose otherwise, but let's be candid. It doesn't hurt to throw in a bit of what the band is, does it? The track does end "Danger Days" on a soaring, slightly U2-ish note, but it gives fans who have grown up with them a sense of closure. Lyrically, it is just as honest as "Summertime," and just as mature. Musically, it is just as interesting as "S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W", and just as gutting. It's just as new as any of the other songs, and just as interesting. It really is one of the band's best endings, if not the best when traditional album structure is taken into account. Truly touching; very beautiful. Of course, how can we forget to say goodbye to the Doctor? He sends us on our way with a strange piece of advice before dropping the most stereotypical (thus, the least expected!) bit of radio in existence. A year later, you should be expecting it, but I won't spoil the surprise for newcomers. Of course, as cinematic as this album has been so far, where are our credits? The band has one last hurrah with "Vampire Money", which does suggest what the album in its stripped-down form might have been, but how could anything be half as fun as this? A blend of just about every proto-punk/punk band you can think of (and perhaps some Beach Boys?), My Chemical Romance has their flipping-the-bird-to-Twilight-and-everything-else moment. This is unequivocally the most outright fun the band has to offer in the most outright way. See if you don't want to be in a band after this. That's what rock is about, isn't it? Though arriving with a couple of hiccups, "Danger Days", takes the history of rock and melds it with the future of laser guns and angry Asian dictator chicks ("Party Poison" if you don't believe me). Not only that, but My Chemical Romance present it in a way that feels fresh out of the box and done just as well as those who came before them. By no stretch is this a "copy, paste" album. There is a distinct individuality in the songs, the album, and the band, just as with 2006's glam/rock vibes. Once again, the band has shown a mastery of just having fun, now in Technicolor. // 8

Lyrics: Gerard Way has shown himself to be a master of, really, three genres up to now. With the band's post-hardcore debut, a story of (demolition) lovers and vampires was skillfully played out. "Three Cheers" illustrated in the band's tantalizingly dark version of alt/punk the tale of a man's somewhat questionable attempts to reunite with a lost one. "The Black Parade" took the concept of a concept album to new heights, blasting with all the glamor of Queen and Pink Floyd and quite possibly surpassing the craftmanship of Green Day's "American Idiot". Look, kids, Billie Joe may be a frontman capable of playing the same three chords in every other song, but Ray Toro is a guitarist. Each of these releases has a very distinct lyrical personality which, admittedly, took some time to evolve into as restrained a character as "The Black Parade" is ("I'm not o-f**king-kay?") Excluding this, "Danger Days" has the least cheesy moments of the bunch, though "SING" treads the line with its all-too-preachy bridge. Way handles most of the songs as they should be, proving himself surprisingly adaptable. "S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W" sounds bizarre; "Vampire Money" sounds proto; "Save Yourself, I'll Hold Them Back" sounds like hair rock. He may yet prove to be one of the better writers of our time, especially with "The Kids From Yesterday" and the aforementioned Magical Mystery tribute. He surpasses anything expected in the vocal department, though some of his better screams (circa-2006) screams are missed. // 8

Overall Impression: It was expected that "Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys" would be somewhat dismissed. Not only does it alienate many of the die-hard fans of previous releases, but it stirs the same spirit of fandom as those. The combination of old fans leaving and new fans coming in gives critical media very little to do with the album, and it is forgotten (here's a tip: any critic using the word "bubble-gum" didn't actually listen to whatever they're talking about). Understandable though this is, it certainly has left "Danger Days" the odd one out. Those familiar with the band are beginning to resemble the eternal unhappiness of the die-hard purist "Star Wars" fandom. What is missed is one of the best releases of 2010, and one of the best releases since. Its structure is creative; its music is stellar; its delivery is genuine. The entire album could be summarized in one word: fearless. "Spirited" is less flamboyant but just as appropriate, as the album does delivery the spirit of what rock, punk, alternative, grunge, and all the rest have been. We all want a band who'll make us want to jump up onstage and scream our lungs out. "Danger Days" delivers that in an outrageous air guitar solo, a crazed acid trip, and a few dozen "na na"s. // 8

Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys Reviewed by: UG Team, on november 22, 2010

Sound: In terms of sound, My Chemical Romance has done something very similar to what Green Day did as the Foxboro Hot Tubs in terms of sound. The songs have been stripped down to an almost minimalistic zero, but they still sound just as big as ever. It's nice to hear a band filling out their sound on merit of their instrumentation, as opposed to their production, and that's what My Chemical Romance has managed to do here. What's more, this is a concept album, revolving around the characters of "Party Poison" (Gerard Way), "Jet Star" (Ray Toro), "Fun Ghoul" (Frank Iero), and "Kobra Kid" (Mikey Way), who do battle against an evil corporation in the year 2019; the special edition box set, currently available online, looks like a highly collectible item. The Fabulous Killjoysas their alter-ego is nameddeliver some excellent songs and some filler. The song Na Na Na is a boisterously catchy tune, inflicted with 70s pop, while its guitar solo is perhaps the only notable one included on this album a disappointing feature of an album that could have been propelled to the next level with some greater pyrotechnics on the fret board. Summertime is the album's sweet, melodic, radio-friendly ballad, and Vampire Money is the song directed at the Twilight Saga' and everything that goes with it. It's an obvious homage to Iggy and the Stooges, but that's in no way a bad thing! There are some sonic duds, which are so obvious they don't deserve any introductions, but try to ignore them (I'm talking about you, Planetary (GO!)). // 7

Lyrics: Gerard Way keeps it quite simple on this album, sticking largely to the storyline, but I'm not overwhelmingly impressed with some of the work. In that respect, perhaps Gerard should keep his comic book writing and his lyric-writing more disparate in the future. Although not overwhelmingly terrible, are you gonna be the one to save us/from the black and hopeless feeling/will you mean it when the end comes reeling' certainly comes off as catchy, but where's the uniqueness? The topic of God comes up on Destroya, but, interestingly, Gerard doesn't seem to deny or acknowledge the existence of a God and, in the end, I think, only he can provide an answer as to what the underlying theme of the song is. // 7

Overall Impression: What I like about Danger Days is that it doesn't follow the trend that My Chemical Romance set on The Black Parade. Any musicians, who can detach themselves from the market to this level, setting themselves new precedents along the way, deserve the accolades of music listeners. So whether you're a metalhead or one of My Chemical Romance's first ever fans, do listen to Danger Days. It's worth the effort, even if it's not what you're used to. The point is that this band has embraced garage rock and new wave influences, and put Gerard Way's voice to it. It's a marked improvement from whatever they used to do, and could do with some support. // 7

- Sam Agini (c) 2010

Sound: So its been four years since MCR released an album and they are arguably one of the main bands that brought the "emo" style into the mainstream. Now I realize some people are going to say that statement isn't true but when you look at early MCR and your typical 15 year old emo kid you don't see much difference. I only mention this because this album is nothing like the previous ones released. Most of the fans who have been looking for every bit of information about this album already knew it was going to be a more poppy sound. Like most of them I was excited for this album. Nanana was released and you either loved it or hated it. Unfortunatly that song is the closest you will see to previous MCR with the exception of Save Yourself I'll Hold Them Back. In fact most of the songs are very slowed down which isn't typical coming from this artist. The music itself has been very simplified with Ray Toros solos barely making an impression. The problem with the actual sound of the music is I feel like its like a washed out japanese band (Theres even a japanese girl on Party Poison which is kind of a cool idea) Planetary Go sounds so much like When worlds collide I swear you could switch the lyrics and it would fit almost perfectly. It was stated this album would make the rest of their albums seem redundent and I would have something I would want to drive fast to. Well I got 4 maybe 5 songs that did that. The rest of the album is so dull I feel like I'm listening to a different band. However I did really like the Dr Death skits. // 6

Lyrics: Gerards writing is as good as ever which you can see as a good thing. Personally I feel he is good about crafting a story within the songs and its easy to see how the songs relate to each other. There isn't really any mention of death to really be found here. What we have instead a post nuclear war theme about rebellion and fighting the "pigs". Danger Days was originally the title for Gerards 2nd comic series and while I think the concept is great for a comic book I don't think the concept works as well here. In the black parade I felt like I could really picture the charecters and their emotions and in TCFWR I could feel the loss and desire of revenge for the groom. The charecters are forgettable but there are still some very good one liners to be found here. // 7

Overall Impression: After finding MCR in 2002 back when I was in highschool and most of their current fans were in elementary school, I got two amazing albums, one album that was decent and set a trend for other bands to follow, and finally an album I wonder how well I will like once the new album feeling rubs off. It was said there was a different album that was scrapped in place for this one....I want to hear that one. If your reading this review you've pretty much made up your mind on what your going to think of this album and those who are going to like it are going to like it and those who aren't and going to flame it. But there is one other side to this album and that will be the live show. The songs lead more to jumping, singing, and clapping not moshing which I think is going to make a weird show. You'll have one part of the show where everyone is standing around and another where moshing will happen to the old songs and I wonder how people will respond to this. As a fan of 8 years I feel this album is easily their worst ( I would order the album TCRSR, Bullets, The Black Parade and finally Danger Days). Whereas MCR used to tour with the used, taking back sunday, and say anything, I could see them touring with the like of All Time Low or Panic at the Disco (were they still a full band) and that doesn't really sit well with me. Only time will tell how this album is ultimatly viewed. I just hope this isn't the end of the aggressive MCR we had in TCFSR. // 7

Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys Reviewed by: robbie-rocks, on november 19, 2010

Sound: I first heard MCR in 2005 when I bought "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge", but that was a small phase for me and my music taste went towards Metal bands like Iron Maiden etc. I avoided "The Black Parade" because every single kid I knew at the time hopped the band wagon. Anyway, Danger Days review. MCR are a band that have received alot of attention over the years, both positive and negative. Alot of people are quick to judge this album just because of the band that produced it but seriously? That's dumb. Danger Days acts a concept album album following the band's fictional counterparts "Kill Joys", the idea behind this is that the album gives you the visual image in your mind of reading a comic, which is what attracted me to this album, except in my mind it's very fitting to Gerard Way's comics "Umbrella Academy". The albums sound is very different to previous efforts, for starters it seems more laid back and this is not a bad thing, in my opinion it adds alot more dynamics to the album. With calm verses, big chorus'. Examples of this being "Bulletproof Heart" & "SING". // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album is a step up from other albums, previous songs were about death or loosing your girlfriend, the typical topic in this genre of music. But for this album MCR's lyrics seem more up beat, I feel the comic book idea compliments this as to me the lyrics are about hope and saying "F**K YOU" to the world and the lyrics on each song flow very well with the music. Never been much of a fan of Gerard's vocals, but here I would say they're brilliant. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I would recommend this album to anyone who judges the band based on image. The album is very strong both lyrically and musicly, the songs that I would recommend and that impressed me the most would be "The Only Hope For Me Is You" & "Vampire Money". Really though, you're probably just better off listening to the whole thing. Music is subjective and everyone has their own opinion, so give it a listen. You'll either hate it or love it. // 6

Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys Reviewed by: roland_96, on november 22, 2010

Sound: The sound of the record is definitely varied, which is one of the best parts about it. Songs like "Na Na Na" and "Vampire Money" take you back to 1972, with killer guitars and snotty, Iggy-tinged vocals from frontman Gerard Way. Then on other tunes, such as "Save Yourself (I'll Hold Them Back)" influences from Judas Priest and other leather metal bands of the 80's show through. "Bulletproof Heart", "The Only Hope for Me is You" and "SING" don't support their former pop styled deathrock records in Bullets or Three Cheers, and revisit the electronic experimentation of heroes in the Smashing Pumpkins and David Bowie, but this is because My Chemical Romance have really accomplished their goal of putting out a good rock record that really has no one genre of rock and roll. The Cure, Smashing Pumpkins, Sex Pistols, David Bowie, and Iron Maiden all have moments while not ripping anything off. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics don't have their former death inspired moaning, but Way and company have traded their death showcase for just being rockers. "Na Na Na" is a violent, glam punk masterpiece, with a riff straight from hell or punk rock heaven. The record is of course a concept album in the vein of "21st Century Breakdown," in that it has no linear story. The theme of getting out of your home, being a rebel, and finding something or someone to believe in shine through on all the songs. Killer lines are all over the place: "Fame is now injectible!"- Planetary (GO!) "Blow a kiss to the methane skies, see the walls through with your playground eyes, we're all in love tonight."- Summertime, "I've got a bulletproof heart, and you've got a hollowpoint smile."- Bulletproof Heart. The voice of Gerard Way has definitely expanded; he can seamlessly transpose between punk rocker, heavy metal deviant, and pop's most violent pretty boy multiple times within each song, and really builds on the soundscapes made possible by the rest of the band. // 9

Overall Impression: I won't lie, My Chemical Romance is one of my favorite bands, and I was going to like this record no matter what it sounded like as long as they didn't sell out (the track "Vampire Money" was inspired by attempts from Twilight to get them to write a song for the next film, and they were asked if they wanted to get their hands on "some of that vampire money.") But I really didn't see this coming. This is just honestly a good rock record, not just punk, not glam, not electronic, and most certainly not emo. Just rock and roll in its most ambitious form, and I can't think of anything that came out this year that truly surpasses it. "The Kids from Yesterday" is an anthem for anyone who feels like they've been alienated by the world around them; "Party Poison" is for anyone who ever wrecked a Diddy party in disguise (who saw MCR and Weezer play "My Name Is Jonas" together?) and "Planetary (GO!)" is a rebellious, even political song in the form of a dance track. Are we gonna see any of these songs on the radio dominated by the fast-food themed approach to music nowadays? Here and there, due to MCR's popularity in teenyboppers that wanna jump the bands bones. But who gives a damn how cute they are? Who the hell cares if every other band lumped in the emo scene that was actually decent is now defunct (Google "Black Cards", "The Young Veins", and "Soul Punk") and shit bands that ape every popular influence they can get their hands on? (Yeah, I'm looking at you, Papa Roach and Linkin Park) Rock and roll is still alive, and it's most controversial member just put out the record of the year, and by now the decade. Enjoy. // 10

Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 24, 2010

Sound: Wow. I am not a big MCR fan, actually I used to avoid them because of their EMO style, that is sound, lyrics, singing and dress. But when I heard the first single off this album, I knew they had changed. Die hard fans may say they changed for bad, but I think this evolution is great for the band. I'm really loving the sound of this album, it is less mellow, with the exception of a few songs (Bulletproof Heart and The Only Hope For Me Is You pop into my head). Kudos to MCR. // 9

Lyrics: Gerard Way has changed his singing style (somewhat) leaving all the yelling behind, for more understandable singing. The lyrical quality may not be the best, it isn't. But the album does provide a few good, quotable lines. // 8

Overall Impression: The whole album is great, what I really didn't like was the whole radio concept thing. Dr. Death Defying. It seems to me it cuts into the flow of the record. I truly think that this is a unique musical piece for MCR, a great step forward, out of the underworld they were in. If they could lose the mellowness, and keep up the good work that is shown throughout the record, we could be in the presence of a great change that could lead MCR into other listener's ears. // 9

Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys Reviewed by: bartfan14, on november 30, 2010

Sound: Now, if you got hooked on MCR from welcome to the black parade, this CD is not for you. This CD is a completely different concept and a different storyline from The Black Parade. The black parade was a concept album about someone dying from cancer and telling his story leading up to it, kind of like a Tarantino film. It's dark, depressing, and made people think MCR was a suicide cult. This CD is punk-pop, but with the slow songs still intact. This CD is about the Government (or Better Living Industries) selling us protection and things we don't need, but we are taught to believe that we do need it. MCR plays the "Killjoys", rebels who believe that we don't need all the s**t we're told we need. Narrarated by Dr. Death Defying, it tells their story. // 9

Lyrics: Gerard Way continuously amazes me with his lyrics. In every single song, he tells a story or a concept. All the songs on this CD are very cleverly connected lyrically. A key example is the song "The only hope for me is you". I interpret it as a love song, but it could also be seen as a song about survival. Now there are some songs that could use more lyrics in them. Such as "Destroya". It's a very upbeat song with the classic MCR attitude we saw in Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge. Very in-your-face with a f**k you attitude, but all the words that can be understood on a first-listen basis are "You don't believe in God, I don't believe in luck, you don't believe in us, but I believe we're the enemy." A nice message, but should use more to support it. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this is an amazing CD if you listen to it with an open mind. I didn't like it at first, but then again, I listened to "Na na na", "SING", "Bulletproof heart", and "The only hope for me is you" before I bought it. The order of songs could've been thought of again, seeing as it goes, Talking, Action, Sad, Action, Techno, Sad, and so on. If you like MCR and are a dedicated member of the MCRmy, buy this CD. If you don't really care for MCR but like a couple of their songs, listen to it online. If you don't know MCR but are looking for something to listen to them as a starter song, ask a friend who has all of thier CDs. Previous reviews say that this CD sounds like Queen. In some songs, you can hear it, but I wouldn't say the whole CD does. // 10

Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys Reviewed by: DiegoAngeles, on december 03, 2010

Sound: Blasting sound, is a good new star for the band, like the tracks SING, Planetary (GO!), Summertime and S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W give us a different point of view of what MCR is. The mixing in this record is brilliant, some fans will not get the new sound or maybe call them sellout but using pedals and writting fun music isnt sell out, give the guys a break! They're trying to have fun with the music. The story goes like this, is the year 2019 and the planet is controlled by a company BL/ind, in the other hand we have the killjoys who are the rebels that fight these bad guys. We are transported to a new world and of course the music is different, have a mix of an electro sound with a hard rock sound. It kinda remains me of Bowie's Diamond Dogs and it really amazed me, good job. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this record show in part the life of the killjoys, nice work of Gerard trying to tell us tales of their lives. Maybe not as good as the previous records but definitely a dramatic change in this band; taking a new view of things and new experiences makes it really confortable to hear. The lyrics go in a perfect way with the sound, happy, colorful and shinny; new things will be in this band and for their best. Gerard's voice in this record is like to heard a good old friend coming back to the town, give chills to the fans in the best way possible, not the best voice in the planet but it's great to hear him in the studio. // 9

Overall Impression: I like this album because it's different from the others; takes the best of the black parade with an amazing concept, a new sound and lyrics, the fun of Three Cheers and the new start of Bullets. Hands down to the tracks: Na Na Na, Bulletproof Heart, Party Poison, Save Yourself and Vampire Money. I had a low expectation in this album but it changed my mind, definitely is worth buying it. Shows a great work of MCR with Rob Cavallo, hope to see some of them in the future. // 10

Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys Reviewed by: StoneRomance, on december 13, 2010

Sound: It's definately different to anything else MCR have done before. I'm a huge fan of the band and I don't know if I really like the new style as much as I do on the first 3 albums. Because I listen to a lot of metal and the album is kind of pop-punky, it's not really my style but because it's MCR, I like it anyway. I like the concept of the album and all the storylines and characters MCR have created, but the music has failed a tad. There's a few songs that stand out but others that are a bit... meh... // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics=awesomeness! They totally tie in with the concept of the album and they fit with the music well. Some of the lyrics tell a story which I think is awesome and Gerard's voice has so much emotion in the songs, it's amazing! The band still mention death a few times, like their previous albums, but they are sang in an un-deathlike way which makes death and everything seem far more lighter and happier. // 10

Overall Impression: The tunes and music are okay, the guitar playing skills are amazing as always, especially the lead guitarist, Ray Toro, who really shines on the album with his solos. The lyrics are epic, as well as the storylines and characters, so overall, I'd say this is an amazing album! // 9

Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 02, 2011

Sound: If you looked at one of the songs expecting something like The Black Parade, you'd probably be like me and hate Danger Days almost straight away. But then, if you listen to one of their songs three times over, it starts to sound much better, and sooner or later you can't get enough. Honestly, I started learning bass after hearing a bass cover for Summertime, and have almost never but my bass guitar down since. It really opens your eyes to realise that you don't have to stick with one sound forever. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are more random in the songs then previous songs, each line having it's own meaning, in songs like S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W and Vampire Money, you wouldn't expect the lyrics to go so well. Gerard has kept to the same voice, not 'changing' it by going to a different type of band. // 10

Overall Impression: My Chemical Romance have been my favourite band since I was nine, so obviously Danger Days is as good to me as the other albums they've released, and they will never come second to any band I know. I think that Summertime is the nicest song [as I said before] because it has a feeling of the past, yet is still jetting off into the future, when I listen to it, I think that it's like 1979 by the Smashing Pumpkings. I love everything about it, especially how they have two guitarists that have completley different styles, that merge so well. The only thing I hate is that you have to listen to songs a couple of times to like them, so obviously if you're one of those people who just look through songs you'll probably never be attached to their songs. If it was lost, I would definatley go and buy another one. I'd probably buy ten just incase I lose another one! This band I can't live without [not in the suicidal way] I listen to this album every day on the way to school and everytime I'm on the computer, it's helped me learn that who you are is who you are, and no one in this world is worth changing for. // 10

Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys Reviewed by: Bells4777, on may 05, 2011

Sound: I personally like the older albums better but I believe they did an amazing thing! They have some serious balls to change their music this much! It went from the dark more rock black parade to this mainstream colorful jumpy "Danger Days" :) They did a good job and they have been one of my fav bands for a long time and I totally support what they are doing even though if I don't care for it much:) its a good album just not for me:) // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are good not anything like the previous albums at all. Na Na Na had interseting lyrics more so than the other songs I would say. I think they repeat to many Nas lol but I like how unique it is :) all their songs have that certain uniquness that hasn't been seen in a long time... Most bands are too scared to change their sound like MCR has:) // 10

Overall Impression: My favorite songs from the album are probably "Sing" "Destroya" "Vampire Money" "Planetary (Go!)" The songs I dont like are: "Summertime" "Bulletproof Heart" The others are in the middle don't really like but don't dislike :) I love how they had the courage to change so much and not care what anyone thought as long as they were happy with what they made :) The thing that is disapointing is how they just left behind the old MCR. They did an amazing thing in the black parade and previous albums and they are too modest and don't really let that show. If you have been an MCR fan for a while and you like the mainstream type stuff you will love this Album:) // 9

Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 12, 2011

Sound: My Chemical Romance: "Danger Days: True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys". A genius collaboration of pure influence and a combination of elements from the past to create a unique masterpiece. The fourth studio album from the New Jersey kings of rock has hit all high expectations, with a new vibrant and colorful image that reverses the theme of the amazing "Black Parade" is sure to impress critics. With shredding guitar riffs that will make grown men weep this album is surely one of the best albums of the year. With the intelligent use of synth and stadium anthems Danger days shows another side to the band which may surprise some fans, when MCR announced the album was a new path and direction and that they are going back to basics, alarm bells started ringing. However, this genius work of art will not disappoint it will take you on a thrilling journey through the theme of California 2019 with future image. All songs have a special feeling from full on head banging fuzzy punk tunes like "Na Na Na", party poison and vampire money to stadium lighter swaying ballads such as "Scarecrow", "The Kids From Yesterday" and "SING". There is even a combination of dance tunes that will get your rocking bones moving like "Planetary (GO!)" and "Summertime" which is a feel good shimmering pop tune to put a smile on your face. MCR have also showed their heaviest song ever "DESTROYA". Hugetribal Goth guitar groove, repeated over and over again like a heavy metal Stone Roses doing something from The Rocky Horror Show, culminating in Gerard screeching the title over and over and over and over again. Insanely heavy and therefore brilliant in fact it would put House of wolves to shame. The energy and fresh vision is shown through all the songs on the album, it highlights the combination ambition, hard work and most importantly FUN. It channels the band's genius tastes for the absurd and the outlandish into a record in gleeful love with the macho pleasures of old school rock'n'roll. The jazz hands aren't visible to the naked eye, but they're there in spirit? This new album is about stripping it down to the pure heart which is the music, unlike "The Black Parade" the recent concerts that MCR have done show that they are not going to dress into a costume with masses of make up on instead they going to play the root of their souls which is just the music. "The Black Parade" especially in this country, where they were accused of being behind an "emo cult" that glamorised suicide perhaps they decided they'd had enough of all the posturing, all the judgement, and focusing on the music again was the only way to escape the madness? My Chemical Romance have stood out from the crowd and make their mark in the music scene by taking huge risks and pulling them off to such a great standard. They embrace new ideas and create unique music that sells records and sells out arenas around the world. The worry was that this record would turn out dull; the reality blows that concern out of the water. "Killjoys" this album is bulletproof and it will make some noise! // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are full of meaning and passsion and Gerrard Way certainly brings his talent to the table with some amazing vocal perfromances. "The Kids From Yesterday" has a unique feel to the swaying mood, "you only hear the music when your heart begins to break" I think is amazing. I haven't really thought about it until then, but I really believe that. Music can never touch you as hard as it does when you're, simply put, depressed. The song also symbolises the journey of MCR and their fans and how times have changed since the begining of their music journey. I think it's about them basically shedding the weight of a whole genre that they've had tagged to them since their beginning. "You only live forever in the lights you make", that obviously means you'll only be remembered for the good you do in the world, instead of the angst and negative emotions that have been plaguing their music for so long (though, as a diehard MCR fan, I'm aware that the only messages they've tried to send are positive). "When we were young we used to say that you only hear the music when you're heart begins to break", further backing up that it's about how the only thing they used to be able to turn into music were the bad things they needed to get off their minds. "Now we are the kids from yesterday", now they're all grown up and their music is changing with them. All the other verses seem to be about the music industry in general ("they only care if you can bleed"). The fantastic hit "SING" has a meaningful purpose on the album this song, to me, is speaking up for all the people that cannot speak up for themselves. There is a great deal of injustice and genocide going on in the world today, and this song speaks to having the courage and strength to make a noise about it as long as there is not justice. "And raise your voice every single time they try to shut your mouth." // 8

Overall Impression: This album makes all other albums look shameful, personally I think I would feel humiliation if I came out with an album at the same time as this masterpeice, this album is by far the best of the year. The most influential and impressive songs are "Na Na Na", "SING", "Planetery (GO!)", "The Only Hope For Me Is You", "Save Yourself, I'll Hold Them Back", "Scarecrow", "Summertime", "The Kids From Yesterday" these are the main athemes on the album which is basically all of them that really shine :) I love the fact that the risk they have took has paid off to such a huge extent it shows that the band are such a growing force in the music industry there willing to embrace new images and visions and the combination of talented singing and outstanding instrumental playing really highlights the band full portential. // 9

More My Chemical Romance reviews rating latest review