I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love Review

Lyrics: 9.1
 8.6
 9.3
 7.9
I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love Reviewed by: takenthecannoli, on march 25, 2013

Sound: What with getting their start and writing their first song ("Skylines And Turnstiles") - almost immediately following the World Trade Center attacks on September 11th, 2001, it comes as little surprise that New Jersey's My Chemical Romance sports a grueling, morbid image. 2002's debut "I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love" features the silhouette of a man hung upside-down by his feet, coated in disturbing shades of brown. It's a subtle piece, and does a job in hinting at some of the nuance the band itself had already mastered with its first release. Though generally a post-hardcore album, "Bullets" contains elements of early punk, particularly in the way of the Misfits and Black Flag. Close listeners of the Smashing Pumpkins may notice also the occasional nod primarily in the attitude of singer/songwriter Gerard Way. None of the references at all detracts from the experience, and acts more as a layer of inspiration, rather than direct influence. Those who grew up with the same music will relate closely to My Chemical Romance before the first note. On the note of notes; the record opens with an atmospheric rendition of "Romance Anonimo" (here, simply known as "Romance"), sauteed in lo-fi radio effects for a sepia-stained ambiance. Rather than burst into the all-out creepshow "Honey, This Mirror Isn't Big Enough For The Two Of Us", the record begins painting its macabre story with something of a Western influence (suggested later in the record, as well as in the linear notes and artwork). This is storytelling at work from the first beat and it intrigues in all the right ways. In the first minute of the record, this lowers a backdrop that is gloomy, relevant, and slightly off-beat is already introduced. Excess in gloom is offset in equal helpings with pure, unabashed energy. "Honey" thumps the record along, suggesting from the outset that the heart of the record beats twice as fast as its already indefatigable creators. Guitarists Ray Toro and Frank Iero balance each other out wonderfully, with the riffs coming from Toro and melodies from Iero. It's a bizarre combination of metal and punk that, miraculously, works. Drummer Matt Pellisier is the backbone of the band's hardcore elements, even if the production mostly mutes his notable love affair with cymbals. Bass work is mostly buried beneath other elements, but as hundreds of bands have suffered from the same effect since the format was standardized, it's a pleasant surprise when bassist Mikey Way (younger brother of singer Gerard) is heard, rather than a disappointment when he isn't. Every track between "Honey" and "Skylines And Turnstiles" is some brand or another of My Chem's post-hardcore, and the record breathes nicely with the Cure-meets-Pumpkins "Early Sunsets Over Monroeville" before launching, of course, back into mosh mode with "This Is The Best Day Ever". The final-three-song formula is done with care; "Best Day Ever" acts as a last hurrah, "Cubicles" winds down with an essential reoccurring theme outlined (addressed further ahead), and "Demolition Lovers" is a magnificent, multi-layered ending featuring the album's most tender and most brutal moments in the space of about six minutes. For all its vigor, "Bullets" runs at a mercifully short thirty-seven minutes long enough to get a point across without overstaying the sound. Even in the stretch of five or six tunes preceding "Monroeville", the band injects enough variation to keep the record rolling. "Vampires Will Never Hurt You" is arguably the album at its best, where "Our Lady Of Sorrows" rocks the hardest and "Headfirst For Halos" is the closest independent hardcore gets to sounding produced by big-name pros. Each track is scarily good. "I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love" introduces in My Chemical Romance a fresh face to the Jersey (and general hardcore) scene. Toro and Iero's rejuvenating dynamic is simply unseen in any other band; duality breaks traditions set by eons of players of yesteryear. Together with the elder Way and Pellisier, the band mixes hardcore, punk, metal, and a few elements of alternative to forge one hell of a hardcore thrill. // 7

Lyrics: "Bullets" dwells primarily in vampiric and other ghostly imagery; much of it is less self-important than others with the same ink and more akin to Rob Zombie's state of mind that is to say, one large facetious with a slice of sardonicism on the side. Some of it is intentionally grim, some of it isn't entirely self-conscious. Particularly, some of the tracks stressing the "Romance" bit, such as "Cubicles" and "Drowning Lessons" are pretty bleak, with no way around it. This kind of melodrama is offset with the utterly un-serious (though vital) "Headfirst For Halos", which throws Peter Pan references in alongside candid discussion of suicide. To some extent, the elevated tone in the lyrics is a great example of the narrator's elevated state of mind and with ironically cheery music to go with it. "Halos" and other tracks are exemplary of the band's ability to transform songs about murder and ghosts into an extremely digestible comic book, without losing any depth. The band consistently challenges emotion, crises, and points of view. "Our Lady Of Sorrows" is reminiscent of Marilyn Manson circa "Holy Wood" challenging the listener without altogether presenting an opinion on anything but those with the opinion challenged. One of the refreshing things about My Chem's writing is the candor with which they perform while actively maintaining an avoidance of assimilating the audience into any particular collective. Bodies are strewn across the record; the listener is left to sort through it all. Having suffered through a tooth abscess during much of the recording, Gerard Way's vocal work is decidedly messy his style is quite clearly in the realm of post-hardcore, but independent of the style - some moments are of questionable articulation. Apart from the odd sloppy consonant, Way is as energetic and entertaining as the rest of the band, perfectly selling the record's most histrionic moments without a shadow of artifice. As in the case of the music, however, the listener's enjoyment of Way and the record as a whole may hinge on ability to translate irony and sort through some of the noise. There's a lot to enjoy lyrically, vocally, and the rest but at times demands that the audience be in on the joke or the genre. Regardless, the band does more with the pennies than countless debuts before. // 6

Overall Impression: With "Bullets" My Chemical Romance opens a promising career with a bang and a few gallons of fake blood. The record brings personality to a genre few master, while introducing elements in a style entirely their own. "Bullets" offers itself up to every ghoul it meets as a refreshing fusion of rock's favorite step brothers. Some of the imagery will be on the dramatic end of "dark", though very little of the record does this without complete awareness. Even without the need to dismiss some of the record's in-jokes, it stands as a landmark for the genre and an achievement for the band whether as a first outing or a third.

// 7

I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 03, 2005

Sound: MCR's sound is like no other. I recently saw them live and they blew the house away. I have both of their album's but this one is most deffinatly my favorite. The song quality isn't as good, but thats what I like more about it. It has a rougher sound. Ray and Frank can change styles in an instant, that just really accents on how verstile this band really is. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on "I Brought You My Bullets..." are, to me, alot darker. They bring a morbid sound, especially slower songs like Demolition Lovers, my personal favorite, and Early Sunsets Over Monroeville. But in a split second the whole sound changes. Gerard has, no doubt, an incredible voice. He, like the rest of the band, is so incredibley versitile with his music. He is also an incredible song writer. I think with prescription drug and alcoholism at the time might have attributed to it (Headfirst For Halos) but overall one of my favorite singers of all time. // 10

Overall Impression: This album does not compare to any bands that I can think of. The songs all had their own twists and turns that made them unique. I don't hate anything about the album, other than it's not as popular, but who needs popularity when you have such great fans? If it were stolen I wouldn't need to worry, already ripped to the computer! // 10

I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love Reviewed by: fox69, on november 04, 2005

Sound: I got this CD a couple of months after I got Three Cheers and liked it. This CD is a really good intro in MCR and I really like the sound they had in the disk. Ray and Frank did really well on guitars with a lot more solos and innovative riffs. Mikey's bass was better in this album then their second one which is great. Matt did very well drumming as well. There was one or two tracks that were recorded badly and were of bad quality, but other than that it was very well put together. // 8

Lyrics: Gerard's lyrics in this album were much, much darker than those in three cheers, but they were very well written and he fit well with the band. His talent wasn't as great as in their second album, and he did a lot more screaming in this album, but he never over did it which is hard to do. he wrote songs about vampires "Vampires Will Never Hurt You," about suicide "Headfirst For Halos, the lonely work place "Cubicles, and about the secrets of a small town "Early Sunsets Over Munroeville." Gerard was suffering from sevre depression at the time and you can tell by the lyrics, but it is a really well written album. // 9

Overall Impression: I still liked their new CD better, but this is definetly a good CD to get. I really like this band and its good to hear some of the songs they started out with. The best songs are "Honey, This Mirror Isn't Big Enough For The Two Of Us," "Vampires Will Never Hurt You," "Drowning Lessons," "Skylines And Turnstiles" (even thhough its bad quality it's a good song), "Early Sunsets Over Munroeville" and "Demolition Lover" (awsome solo). Overall this is an awesome album by an awsome band. Really can't wait for them to release some more great music! // 10

I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 13, 2003

Sound: MCR has a very unique sound, somewhat of hardcore, emo, and punk mixed together. Many people dislike MCR after first hearing them. I did too, but when i started listening to the song "Drowning Lessons" the sound caught on. Then soon all the songs on this CD became my favorites. From slow songs like "Early Sunsets Over Monroeville" to agressive songs like "Honey this mirror isnt big enough for the two of us". Gerard Way's voice is incredible. His singing seems messy at first, but eventually it just shows creativity and the wonders of his voice range. // 10

Lyrics: Gerard is one of the most talented singers next to Geoff Rickly of Thursday. MCR's lyrics just flow so well and Gerards creative singing makes them sound even better. With subjects from vampires (Vampires Will Never Hurt You), to lonely office space (Cubicles) their lyrics are amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: Im still out to find a band that sounds like MCR, but i cant. Songs like "Headfirst for Halos" and "Our Lady of Sorrows" make you wanna stand up and scream at the world. MCR is currently in production of a second album for look for it! // 10

I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 02, 2005

Sound: Their sounds are different and unique from every other idiotic band e.g. Simple Plan. It feels really great to get into the tempo and it makes you want to get tap your feet and fingers to the beat. My personal faves are Helena (and the video was great), Thank You For The Venom, Hang'Em High and I'm Not Ok (I Promise). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are really good and expressive. Gerard has a great voice, unlike other stupid metal bands who just scream with no feeling, no essence just 'cause they think it sounds cool. // 8

Overall Impression: It's too unique to be compared. Personally, like all other fans, I feel disappointed that they decided to go more mainstream to grab more fans. I love the love story behind the album, it's great and the lyrics tell it all. Helena seems to be the girl who died in a car crash with her lover and all this is illustrated right through the lyrics. Those who don't get this should not be allowed to comment on the video. // 10

I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love Reviewed by: stratkat, on december 01, 2005

Sound: The sound is amazing. It's punk, metal, and a little gothic punk, basically a kick ass rock band's first CD. I don't know the story of the creation of the album but the album itself tells a story (in an interview the band explained the basic story line but you'll have to listen to both "I Brought You My Bullets You Brought Me Your Love" and "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge" to fully understand the story). The basics is this guy dies and he thinks this girl died also, so he makes a deal with the devil. The devil says he can see her if he kills 1000 evil men. The CD's bad ass by itself, so the storylines kind of a bonus. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics even in one or two places where the words are a little silly they all sound fricking awsome. The lyrics are pretty well tuned, their are some lyrics that are absolutly stunning. The lyrics go with the music oh so greatly, the gothy love to pist-off lyrics constant snare through almost every song very fast guitar picking. Gerard way's singing, I think it's awesome I love his voice, though I can't really judge a singers skill because I'm not a singer. // 9

Overall Impression: I think both their first and second albums come really close when deciding which ones best, but "Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge", is better tuned because of a major record label, and thetime they spent on it. The most impressive songs are "Vampires Will Never Hurt You" (it is over five-minutes long. I can't say why I like this song other than it's pretty cool) and "Head First For Halos" (the intro to the song is a fast guitar riff accompanied by drums which is a bad-ass intro. The other reason I like this song is the lyrics go really well with the music). There is nothing in the album I hate, I just love its unique sound. // 10

I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love Reviewed by: villevalo182, on may 13, 2005

Sound: MCR are great, thier over all presece is awsome. This is as good as thier new but essential for any fan. It is great and does give you a good idea of how where the came from. The music quality at parts isn't excellent but still it somehow doesnt matter. The music will blow you away anyway. The slow intro and then expolsion into headfirst for halos and garetee any doubts for the albums quality. // 8

Lyrics: Gerad way provides great singing and the lyrics are awsome. Really well written, from whispers of "you can cry as much as you want to..." to "I thought I couldnt take, another day inside this place..." Gerad doesn't fail to deliver. The lyrics can really relate to people. It goes perfect with the well played guitars (and bass) and drums. Gripping stuff. // 10

Overall Impression: My Chemical Romance are unique. There aren't that many bands exactly like them at the moment. They are incredibly promising. This album just was a taste of the great things to come, this in my humble opinion was incredibly over looked. none the less, My Chemical Romance have hit gold now. A must! I love the overall sound and emotion in it. If, I had to say one problem it would deffintly be the recorded quality of one or two of the songs. The rest are fine. If I'd lost or stolen I would no doubt get it again. Well worth every penny. // 10

I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 02, 2005

Sound: I think this is the best debut album from any punk rock band to date. The overwhelming sound of Frank and Ray's guitar riffs are amazing, and the augmented rhythms are outstanding. This album also shows Gerard Way's incredible voice and even though some parts are iffy this entire album is just a great "bang your head, balls-to-the-wall" punk rock. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were very ingenuitive and a little bit creepy. But when you listen to My Chemical Romance you have to except some level of morbidness. // 8

Overall Impression: This album almost stands out in a genre of it's own. The most impressive song on the album has got to be "Headfirst For Halos" It shows every aspect of the bands range. The great guitar players the steady drummer and the amazing vocalist. // 10

I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 24, 2005

Sound: My Chemical Romance cannot be compared to anything. They're such a blend of so many different sounds, they have no category. This first album is definitely darker and more all over the place than their second album. Whether the music is fast or slow, soft or hard, it all sounds excellent. This entire album just makes me want to rock out loud for the entire fourty minutes. // 10

Lyrics: Gerard Way has a very wide variety of vocals on this album. He can go from aggressive to soft and quiet in an instant and every single word fits right along with the music. Frank's background vocals also do a lot to boost the vocals, providing a lot of the album's jumble of screaming backgrounds. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of my favorite albums of all time. No matter what mood I'm in, there is a song on this disc that fits right along with it. My personal favorite tracks were "Honey, This Mirror Isn't Big Enough For The Two of Us," "Vampires Will Never Hurt You," "Our Lady Of Sorrows," "Cubicles" and the powerful ending track, "Demolition Lovers." I already have bought the album again! They re-released it with videos for "Honey" and "Vampires" and I had to have it, so I won't have to worry about losing it. // 10

I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love Reviewed by: BDonGraffiti, on december 03, 2005

Sound: I like the fact that the sound quality isn't as good, because it's makes the songs sound more real and raw. Intros to "Honey, This Mirror Isn't Big Enough For The Two Of Us" and "Vampires Will Never Hurt You" make you want to jump. Songs like "Demolition Lovers" and "Skylines" make you wanna cry. Ray Toro is awesome with power chord solos that make you headbang. Frank Iero is great filling in the gaps and palm muting the impossible, and not to mention screaming in the backround. Gerard is an excellent singer with screaming. I guess you could call that a scringer or a singeam or something. Matt's drums are loud and hardcore no matter if it's a ballad or a punk song. Mikey's Bass is really impressive than the second one. oh and harpo did good too. // 10

Lyrics: lyrics to "Cubicles" and "This Is The Best Day Ever" tell chilling stories with an original ending. Gerard is a good writer and likes big words like "Laceration" and "Poop" and I heard he's a good kisser, trust me my aunt tells me everything. His voice is great with soft singing blending into loud in-tune screaming. Gerard likes to stretch and twist his words too, which makes him very unique. holler at your boy. // 10

Overall Impression: This album doesn't compare to another album, except for itself! I Thought that the most impressive songs were "Demolition Lovers" and "Headfirst For Halos". Ray plays a soft melody and matt comes in with cymbals, but all of a sudden comes with the bass and snare! It's genius (like the genius world records). I found it very impressive that mikey was able to cover his uni-brow during the whole recording session. Frank has some amazing riffs in skylines and our lady of sorrows. If this cd was stolen I'd steal my aunts, because she's always stealing my hair stuff and my pocket protectors. // 10

I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love Reviewed by: rockon1824, on january 30, 2006

Sound: I bought this after I had bought Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge, so I was already a big fan. I think this album is better than the 2nd one because each song is unique. The music is very good and the style changes throughout the CD, even in each song. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. They are mostly very abstract (you can tell that by just looking at the song titles) but still hold true to the meaning. Topics range fron 9/11 (Skylines & Turnstiles) to vampires (Vampires Will Never Hurt You). The lyrics match well with the music. Not only does Gerard Way write good lyrics, but I think he has a good voice to. // 10

Overall Impression: This is probably one of my favorite CD's of all time. My favorite songs are Vampires Will Never Hurt You; Honey, This Mirror Isn't Big Enough For The Two Of Us; and Demolition Lovers, which truly is a beautiful song. I love how some songs are really fast and hard while others are soft and melodic and still others go from one to another. I already have 2 copies because the first one wore out from being overplayed. I would suggest buying the rereleased version because it comes with music videos for "Vampires..." and "Honey, This Mirror..." as well as a CD sampler from Eyeball records. // 10

I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love Reviewed by: lucky_number_13, on october 11, 2006

Sound: When this album was released in 2002, I was one of the first to get my hands on it. I was curious to hear the perfected sounds of a band that everyone was buzzing about. This is probably MCR's most rawest, purest sounding albums, as Mikey's thundering bass hooked me in at the first note, and Frank and Ray's beautifully harmonized guitar melodies. Matt's drumming is on the money, each beat clear and crisp. This has the pure sound of the angst singer Gerard Way felt at the time. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were, in my opinion, were not "dark" but more anger fueled, and angst filled. Since Gerard was going through a rough time and his lyrics reflect that. Lines like "Without A Sound, I Took Her Down" and "We'll Wash This Ring Down With Poison And Kerosine" set the mood for. // 9

Overall Impression: This is probably their best album by far, with ripping songs like "Honey, This Mirror Isn't Big Enough For The Two Of Us," "Vampires Will Never Hurt You," "Drowning Lessons", "Skylines and Turnstiles", "Our Lady Of Sorrows" and "Demolition Lovers" were some of the standout songs of this album. The lyrics, no matter how "tough" you are, hit a soft spot with all it's anger and sadness. All in all, a great album, and will stand out as one of the greatest in MCR history. // 10

I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love Reviewed by: TheDisenchanted, on october 28, 2006

Sound: My Chemical Romance are a great band. They have a unique sound and this album portrays that sound brilliantly. I think this album is a bit influenced by Gerrard's old drug addiction, especially in the song 'Honey, This Mirror Isnt Big Enough For The Two Of Us'. // 9

Lyrics: As I said before I think that Gerrard Way's drug addiction does feature in the lyrics of the songs on the album, especially in the 'Honey, This Mirror Isnt Big Enough For The Two Of Us', where at the beggining he says 'The Amount Fo Pills I've Taken, I Can't Live My Life Like This'. The title of this song just suggests that he is taking a good hard look at the person he is becoming and that he doesn't like it. // 10

Overall Impression: It's an awesome album that introduced the world to My Chemical Romance. Any My Chemical Romance fan should have it. My favourite song is Skylines and Turnstiles, a song that was influenced by the tragedy of September 11th. It shows that My Chemical Romance aren't just a band that wants to get to the top as quick as they truely believe in their music. They use their power as rockers to get important messages out there. // 10

I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love Reviewed by: VindictiveBaybe, on january 08, 2007

Sound: The I Brought you my Bullets, you Brought me your Love album is very emotional, a concept album about a couple confused about the state of their relationship who wind up running from vampires. The album begins with a sofe acoustic Romance before erupting into a very heavy explosion of drums and guitars where singer Gerard Way sings to the woman about her cheating and questions wether to trust his partner. Most songs are heavy rock but the CD is evened out with soft tracks where the lyrics are the main part of the song, like Demolition Lovers and Early Sunsets over Monroeville. This album would be great for someone willing to sit down and listen carefully to it whole, taking in all the lyrics to get the full story, but most important parts of the concept are hidden by muffled or screaming lyrics covered by heavy guitars. And some of the songs to blend together and sound the same after a while. But overall, great to listen to, the story is very interesting and I found myself almost falling off the seat in suspence to get the ending of Early Sunsets over Monroeville, where the male is forced to kill the woman after has been bitten by a vampire. // 9

Lyrics: I belive the lyrics are the greatest part of this album, a very emotional story. This album is much darker and corrupted with rage than the other two albums, and contains a lot more feeling, making it my favourite so far. Gerard Way is a very talented voaclist, adapting his voice to the lyrics of the song, and while most of his singing is actually screaming, he really makes the lyrics interesting! A lot of lines in the album refer to alcoholism and drug use, as well as his latest thought on the status of the relationship between he and the female. Gerards voice projects emotion, and just by listning to his singing, it is easy to tell that he wrote the lyrics himself and while I was listning to the album the first time, I actually found myself crying at the end of Early Sunsets over Monroeville and Demolition Lovers! // 10

Overall Impression: Unique. My Chemical Romance are simply unique. Emotionally powered, I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love is a very original album, dealing with everything from Vampires to drug addiction, 9/11 attacks to cheating partners and finally, love. // 10

I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 05, 2009

Sound: My Chemical Romances first album is one that may sound very different to those of you only familiar with 'The Black Parade'. However, the raw, punk inspired sound is appealling in how it reflects just how much energy and emotion this band puts into their music. The variety shown across the album is good, and fairly surprising considering this is the bands first album, which really helps to showcase the talents of the individual band members. However, be it on high tempo tunes like 'Skylines and Turnstiles' or slower songs like 'Early Sunsets Over Monroeville' and 'Demolition Lovers', the thing that remains clear in every song is that raw energy that drives the entire album. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically this is a very dark album, with MCR often using metaphors and dark imagery. This is probably most clear on the song 'Vampires Will Never Hurt You' but it is a constant theme throughout. Gerard Ways vocals are perfect for such emotionally charged songs and the music also reflects this with some strong lead guitar work on songs like 'Headfirst For Halos' matched well by Ways mixture of soft tones and hardcore screaming. Although his voice isn't the strongest (this area has improved vastly now his personal problems are behind him) he has a good range which helps tell the story that the lyrics weave. Considering, once again, that this was the bands first full collection of songs their overall songwriting at this point is very strong. // 8

Overall Impression: It is clear to see some of MCR's influences in the songs. For example they have at various times cited 'The Misfits' as a strong influence and the gothic tones of the lyrics and high-tempo, power chord driven guitar parts show this. I would personally also draw comparisons to 'The Sex Pistols' because of the heavy punk influence, and clear lack of rules placed on where the songs lead. Perhaps one of the disappointments (perhaps the only one) is that, given more time, it could have been better. It was hastily thrown together, with Frank Iero only playing on 4 of the recorded songs. If a little more time and care had been taken over it then 'I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love' would receive the acclaim it so richly deserves. And in regard to would I buy it again if I lost it, the answer is no. As I would make sure that I never, ever lose my copy. // 9

I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 25, 2005

Sound: I really like the sound of MCR. A lot of people don't like it for being kinda disorganized and screechy. But the thing that stands out is gerards voice (I'll talk more about that on lyrics). The guitar is awesome too going from soft rock to hardcore to emo/pop punk. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very well written especially on the song Vampires Will Never Hurt You. The lyrics and the music correspond keep a really cool dark tone. Now to gerards voice, his voice goes from a screaming harse tone to a soft whisper (something like on Early Sunsets Over Monroeville). // 8

Overall Impression: It is a great album because it is like its own genre and it can't really be compared to anything else. The best songs on the album are Vampires Will Never Hurt You, Our Lady Of Sorrows, and Headfirst For Halos. I really don't hate anything about the album. And if it were stolen I would definitly replace it. // 10

I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 09, 2005

Sound: Very Garage band like to me, Good ol' Garage band music. Lots of thought put into how everything sounded. Lyric moods and guitar playing match perfectly. Fast and angry sounding with angry lyrics, slow and melancholy with melancholy lyrics. // 8

Lyrics: Excellent lyrics! Really from the heart. Gerard's vocals are well suited for any genera, but a wonderful example of how vocals for a rock/punk/emo/goth band should be. // 10

Overall Impression: The better of the band's two albums. Disappointed that it is the least known album for them. Favorite song off the whole CD is Demolition Lovers, very touching if you ask me. I have almost no problems with this CD at all. The only thing that really bugs me is how hard it was to find, but the hunt was well worth it. Would definatly buy this again if lost. // 8

I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 16, 2005

Sound: My Chemical Romance can't be put in a shoebox; they have such a unique sound that it's impossible to classify them. They're not punk, hardcore, hard rock, emo or screamo, even though they have been called each of these at some time or another. The only way to understand it is to listen to them. 'I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love' is darker and more scattered than 'Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge', but is no less brilliant. Blazing guitars, bombastic drums, great bass and Gerard Way's unique singing makes My Chemical Romance an overwhelmingly talented band unlike any other you've heard. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on 'I Brought You My Bullets...' are dark and introspective, and show a lot of depth where Gerard's songwriting is concerned. From alcoholism and drug abuse ('Honey, This Mirror Isn't Big Enough For The Two Of Us') to a fantasy world of vampires ('Vampires Will Never Hurt You'), the lyrics are not only eloquent but also stunning in their descriptiveness. The music matches the lyrics perfectly; dark, subtle and brilliant. All the while, Gerard croons, murmurs, sings, screams and wails with a passion that is impossible to fake. His vocal range is amazing and his singing style is unique; a sound you'll never forget. // 10

Overall Impression: It's impossible to compare My Chemical Romance to any other band simply because there's nobody else like them. They're in a league and a genre of their own. The most impressive songs on the album would have to be 'Honey, This Mirror Isn't Big Enough For The Two Of Us' (it's a topic close to the band's heart, and it shows); 'Vampires Will Never Hurt You' (an amazing epic of a song); 'Our Lady Of Sorrows' (featuring a chorus so infectious you'll want to scream it our loud); and 'Demolition Lovers' (a beautiful, grandiose song that starts off crooning and finishes wailing). I love 'I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love' because it shows My Chemical Romance in all their raw, gritty, creative greatness before they were signed by a major label. It's got to be the best debut album I have ever heard. The only thing that annoys me is that, as people have mentioned before, the sound quality of some of the songs aren't very good and this dilutes the band's energy. Even so, it's impossible to miss the talent there. I can't lose the album because I haven't managed to find a copy - I've just downloaded the songs off the net! But if I ever do find some, I'm going to buy three copies, just in case! // 9

I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love Reviewed by: flurgon, on april 07, 2006

Sound: The sound quality of this album sounds like its live which some people might think is bad, but I think it makes My Chemical Romance have a unique sound. The band created this album in 3 months and I think this album is MCR trying to find thier genre of music(punk, goth, emo, etc). // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are good but there not really about anything meaningful (one song is about vampires). The music and the singing have a fantstic contrast which also gives them a great unique sound to thier music. The singer (Gerard Way) has a voice that goes well with the music but still clashes and put slighty on edge (like many rock bands). // 9

Overall Impression: This album sounds like no other because (I've said it twice now) they have an incredibly unique sound. The most impressive song on the album for me is Early Sunsets Over Monroeville. I like the way the songs are all different. I dont like some of the songs because they drag out and get slightly boring. Even though the albums on my computer, id still by another one if I lost it. // 9

I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love Reviewed by: joannamcbeth, on october 23, 2006

Sound: The sound of "I Bought You My Bullets, You Bought Me Your Love" is unlike any other album I have ever bought. It is completly different to their later albums "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge" and "The Black Parade" someone said that this album is indie. I have absolutly no idea why this person said that. Yes, some parts are quiet, but there are some heavy, hard parts that indie bamds wouldn't dare dream of putting on their albums. This album is full of darkness, which is My Chemical Romance all over. // 8

Lyrics: Some lyrcs are very deep and personal, which, again, is My Chemical Romance. Gerard Way delivers these lyrics well, of course. There seriously isn't a better singer out there who will be able to bring these lyrics alive other than Gerard. The lyrics can be hard, they can be sad and emotional, and they can be full of darkness. This is echoed through the music played by Gerard's brother Mikey on bass, Matt on drums, and Ray and Frank on guitar, even though Frank only played on a few of the songs. // 8

Overall Impression: I think this album is absolutly amazing for one made in someones basement. Obviously, it is nowhere near as good as "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge" or "The Black Parade" my favorite song is "Vampire Will Never Hurt You." I bought this album for a fiver and it was worth so much more than that. What I particularly love about the album is the darkness that it embraces. That is one of my favorite things about MCR. If this was lost/stolen of course I would buy it again! // 10

More My Chemical Romance reviews rating latest review