Life On The Murder Scene Review

my chemical romance: Life On The Murder Scene
Release Date: Mar 21, 2006
Label: Reprise/WEA
Genres: Post-Hardcore, Punk-Pop, Emo, Alternative Pop/Rock
Life on the Murder Scene combines two classic ways for a band to bide time in one convenient package: it's a live album and a live DVD.
 Lyrics: 8.3
 6.6
 8.3
 4.8
Life On The Murder Scene Reviewed by: nineinch9, on march 21, 2006

Sound: Life On The Murder Scene is My Chemical Romance new project that combines demos and live takes on their more well known songs, but when a band puts something like this on stores shelves, you, the consumer, should ask yourself, in a nutshell, one thing - why? Is it because MCR sound amazing live and they want to recreate that for every single fan that hasn't had the chance to make it to one of their shows and to create a memoir for people who have. Well, kinda. MCR do a great job of recreating every song exactly like it sounds on the album, which is a double edge sword. With lots of bands that cut and paste their albums together (Metallica's St. Anger comes to mind) it's good to see they can actually play their own songs, but their's a lot to be said for a band that can improvise. So it comes down to the energy factor, which is the exact same as the albums. You might as well hit random play on MCR's studio albums because you'll be getting the exact same thing. So then it's down to the demo's, which is technically one from tracks we've heard of (I Never Told You), which sounds the same on the Three Cheers album. But then there's Desert Song, an unrealeased track and the only thing saving this greatest hits compilation from complete mediocrity. It's an acoustic song, and besides for when it's sounds like Gerard is going to have a panic attack, it's sounds really good. // 6

Lyrics: If you've heard MCR on their albums, I guess you know what to expect. Gerard sounds the same live as he does on the album for the most part. I've also always been pretty impressed with MCR's writing, and how they don't stray into songs about sex and other female trouble related material. Quite the opposite, they have songs about prison rape. I dare you to get on a stage and sing about that. // 7

Overall Impression: One other question you should probably consider before you head down to your nearest Wal-Mart and get this is did MCR and the Reprise label their signed to get this brain child to ultimately take your money from your pocket. Ultimately yes. It is a nice collection of songs and MCR don't sounds like crap through out the entire disc, there's just not really anything new. MCR announced that this was coming out months ago just so you would go to amazon and order a copy for everyone you know, even before you got to see the artwork. At the peak of their success right now, why not release basically the same thing that made them very famous. It's a good thing, but it's still the same. // 4

Life On The Murder Scene Reviewed by: ckyckycky, on march 23, 2006

Sound: The sound quality is nothing special, but it gets the job done. On the live CD, Gerard sounds much worse than when I saw him live, but I think that the reason behind this would be that they were during the period in time when Gerard was addicted to cocaine. The CD also contains a few demos and a previously unreleased track titled "The Desert Song," Which should have been used on T.C.F.S.R. because it is lyrically and instrumentally amazing. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are obviously the same as "T.C.F.S.R." and "Bullets," but Gerard usually talks to the crowd during songs and that mkaes the whole experience much more exciting. The documentary included in this package is very well put together and Gerard does an incredible job narrating the story of My Chemical Romance's success. // 10

Overall Impression: The package was only $20 and it included 2 DVDs: 1 containing a documentary and the other containing live performances, all three of the music videos off of T.C.F.S.R. and making-of's of the videos. Overall I was very impressed by the album, and if it were lost or stolen I would buy it again fuve minutes later but this time buy two copies just in case. // 10

Life On The Murder Scene Reviewed by: fox69, on may 12, 2006

Sound: I'm a big MCR fan and I bought this CD not out of expectation that it would be good, but 2 support the band. It turned out that the CD was a little less than spectacular. The Band in most of the songs sounded very well, and I really enjoyed the extra solos ray threw into the songs like the one during the final chorus of "Cemetary Drive". However, the 4 songs that were AOL sessions were a major disappointment. The instruments were not loud enough and gereads vocals left much to be desired. on a positive note though the unreleased track "Desert Song" was a very good song. // 6

Lyrics: Gerard left me hangin on this CD. He was constantly out of breathe and he did a very poor job on the songs "Helena" and "I Never Told You What I Do For A Living". He didn't seem to have that intensity. It did briefly show through, an I do mean briefly, in "The Ghost Of You," but that one scream couldn't make up for the mediocre singing on the rest of the album. "Desert Song" did showcase his skills for the first 3/4 of the song, but at the end he was all out of breathe again. // 4

Overall Impression: Well I am a MCR fan and if you cut out the vocals on the CD it was for the most part alrite. I wouldn't recommend buying it for the CD portion, but dont let that stop you. The DVD's are both quite good so let that be your reason for buying the album. Hopefully MCR's next release shows a bit more promise. // 6

Life On The Murder Scene Reviewed by: skatermaggot, on april 10, 2006

Sound: Life On The Murer Scene is a wonderful thing for all mcr fans. I think it's nice for them put this out for theirfans and to thank their fans for the years. Well of course the sound of the DVD is awesome. no brainer. The audio CD has a great sound of some of their live performances. But every now and then gerard will go out tune bout then come back in tune sounding better then he did before. good job to MCR. // 10

Lyrics: Ther really isnt any lyrics on the DVD, but the audio cd has songs from both CDs. The lyrics are very deep, real, and something that might blow your mind if you just pick up Life On The Murder Scene without having heard any of their cds. But the Desert Song has awesome lyrics (previously unreleased) and captures this band at one of its best lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This is an awesome present for a MCR fan or a gift to make an mcr hater fall in love with the band even if they dont like their music. I love this because of how Gerard opens up comletely on the DVD and how the band shows that are completely normal humand beings who have problems just like the rest of us. If this was stolen I would buy it again, hun down the criminal who stole it, and shoot the ass hole who slole it. MCR saves lives. Love it or hate it. // 10

Life On The Murder Scene Reviewed by: Gibson_SG_uzr55, on august 03, 2006

Sound: The sound qulity is quite good. The only problem is that I have a hard time hearing Gerard sing on the first three tracks of the CD I can't hardly understand what he is singing unless I hear the studio versions of the songs. The quality of the music is good throughout the album is good. Gerard vocals sound good on all the tracks except the first three. The demo tracks, "Bury Me In Black" and "I Never Told You What I do for a Living" sound just as good as on the album (Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge). And the final track, "Desert Song", is previously unreleased, and it's only made of vocals, acoustic and clean toned guitars, but I like it. // 9

Lyrics: Whenever I hear MCR, I know I'll get one thing:emotional lyrics. Gerard writes excellent lyrics for songs, and they all have an emotional message of some sort. The lyrics go great with the music, because they all have the same mood. They CD sound happy, sad, confused, and angry. Gerard is a great singer. He has a certain amount of emotion and wildness that gives him such a great voice. And onstage, he is full of energy, making it better. // 10

Overall Impression: The CD is really great. I bought the Life on the Murder Scene three-disc set beffore hearing one of there albums. My Chemical Romance is my one of favorite rock bands, and is by far the best punk-emo band. The best songs are I'm Not Okay (I Promise), Helena, Headfirst For Halos, and Thank You For The Venom. The only problems are it's hard to understand what Gerard is singing on the first three tracks of the CD and it was also really short, so there could have been way more songs. But it is still worth the money. If I lost the CD then I have another burned CD somewhere. // 10

Life On The Murder Scene Reviewed by: evill22, on october 27, 2007

Sound: The live sound of My Chemical Romance are simply astounding to me. There aren't very many bands who can take their greatest works, and play them with an even better sound live, but MCR does this spectacularly. I especially like the studio-like absence of a cheering crowd in the background, to keep you focused on the music inself as opposed to the crowd screaming their lungs out as you try to distinguish the singing band from the singing audience. // 9

Lyrics: I really like the fact that Gerard Way (lead singer), can throw in some random extra lyrics into the song when he's preforming them live, and still have the songs sound great. The lyrics are primarily the same as they are on the Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge and I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love albums, but like I said, with some spontaneous lyrics thrown in. // 9

Overall Impression: Not many artist out there have got their own live albums out, but I would definitely rate Life On The Murder Scene as one of the top live albums that I've heard. Personally I enjoy the unreleased Desert Song, and the Bury Me In Black demo. But the classics such as Helena, I'm Not Okay (I Promise), and Thank You For The Venom are all still phenomenal. // 10

More My Chemical Romance reviews rating latest review