Na Na Na Review

7.1
 8.5
 5.6
Na Na Na Reviewed by: fencernick, on october 19, 2010

Sound: My Chemical Romance has come off as an alternative gothic pop-punk band, writing songs about love, depression, angst, and most recently:death. The Black Parade set off a generation of youth back in 2006 in the month of Halloween, the album releasing a darkness over the world of alternative and rock music. With MCR claiming a Grammy nomination and selling out massive stadium concerts under the alias of the Black Parade, their final concert on the Black Parade tour ended with a bang. And now, the band is back with a catchy new single named Na Na Na. The song has been stripped of the gothic, suicide-enducing lyrics and sound of the Black Parade and has been replaced with poppy-punk catchiness. With this setting the mood MCR's new record, I'm sure there are going to be songs similar to the jumpy beat and catchy chorus of Na Na Na. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics take a step away from death and depression, and instead encourage rebellion, criticism of society, portrays youthful angst, and etc. Gerard Way's vocal technique has not changed much over the years of the band's existence, and it isn't changing for Na Na Na. With biting, edgy, and shrieking vocals, Way and the band barrel through the song and at the same time painting a mess of chaos through the lyrics. // 9

Overall Impression: Honestly, I have to call this song merely a catchy number. MCR has had a lot more powerful and monumental moments than this comeback. To a die-hard MCR fan, this review is an insult and probably they have gone right to the comments section to rant on this review. The song is lacking a lot of dimension when it comes to songwriting and story. It's more of a radio-hit that people can clap, jump around, or for the extreme, snap their fingers to at a wild party than really connect to as a music-lover. // 7

Na Na Na Reviewed by: skuldugery, on october 18, 2010

Sound: My chemical romance have never tried to be like anyone else, though perhaps people have tried to copy them, but no one ever really pulled it off. The bands guitar shreds, drum beat and genius lyrics are very much their own. However, Gerard and the band, did have some difficulty after the Black parade. They were blamed and condemned for apparently causing people to commit suicide and wear dark clothes sometimes ending up with people being beaten up - but how can it all be down to My Chemical Romance, there seems like there is very little logic in the hate mail My Chemical Romance received. This took a heavy toll on the band and so did the album with the make-up and costumes, the death related lyrics, Mikey himself suffered with depression, so when it came to making a new album they weren't sure whether My Chemical Romance could carry on. They set out rules for themselves restricting their musical talents. Then when Gerard went with his family to the desert he wrote 'na na na' which gave the band the freedom they needed to carry on as My Chemical Romance... // 10

Lyrics: Gerard is a very skilled lyricist, his lyrics have always had an effect on the listener that very few people can pull-off, and you can tell how passionate about music Gerard is. The whole theme of their new album (out nov. 22nd) is to add a bit of colour to the world after all the black, this song is fun and exciting, the lyrics are ones you have to learn and scream to the rest of the world. The Dark lyrics of the Black Parade and Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge are making way for the new rioting songs - though I doubt anyone will forget the previous powerful albums. // 9

Overall Impression: Giving the fans a taster of the new album has set the fans wanting more - wanting the album now! The bright clothes they wear, the whole theme of superheroes with guns - the fabulous killjoys, and the new music sets the stage for my Chemical Romance to let it all out and come back with a LOUD bang after 4 years from their new album. My Chemical Romance are back and ready to ROCK! // 9

Na Na Na Reviewed by: mattybou92, on october 19, 2010

Sound: Not initially intended as a single, "Na Na Na (Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na), many fans may be shocked by the overall sound produced by My Chemical Romance on the first single off their upcoming album, "Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys". A Bob Dylan cover ("Desolation Road") had been released the year previous, but a solid punk anthem had yet to be seen from the band. "Na Na Na" is not just a "in your face" single. It is possibly "the" single of the year. Possessing a simplistic chord progression, the three minute song is surprisingly much lighter in tone than previous albums, and it works to their advantage. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically, the song has similar form to their previous singles, but tackles different material altogether. While the song appears to be an upbeat song of joy, it most certainly is not. For example, about half-way through the song: "Let's blow an artery/(Na na na...)/Eat plastic surgery/(Na na na...)/Keep your apology/Give us more detonation." Morbid, dark stuff, but this is to be expected from the band that gave us songs like "Thank You For the Venom" and "Bury Me in Black", both which contain fairly gruesome imagery. The writing is credited, as usual to the entire band, and they all seem quite satisfied with the song's release. Having been recorded at a trying time in the band's life, the song was said to revive the energy they had in years past. Gerard Way, as usual, has an amazing power to cover a wide range of emotions while still staying on pitch and possessing solid diction. His delivery on "Na Na Na" is stunning, and the accompanying music video is a must-see. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, the song is one of the better singles that appears on this year's charts. While Katy Perry may take the number one spot, My Chemical Romance still has a devoted fanbase who will no doubt be pleased with their latest single, and (*crosses fingers*) with the release of their new album. But don't just take my word for it. Download the single. Support your favorite artists so Justin Beiber doesn't conquer the world. // 9

Na Na Na Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 19, 2010

Sound: Slight disappointment. I liked the punk brutality of Bullets, and the epic-ness of Black Parade which I can only describe as arena emo-goth. Instead, they've gone for the mainstream route. Don't get me wrong, I think the panache the fans love and he essence the haters hate is still there, but IMHO, they've joined the Paramore (indie/alternative kids --> pop) bandwagon just when you thought they couldn't be more pop. They still have their flair, as is very evident, but for me, it's a slight musical disappointment after Black Parade. // 7

Lyrics: Lyrics are still great. Gerard's still got it. Even though this sounds so distant from what you know of MCR, one can still get comfort in how Gerard Way's lyrics are still so poetic and memorable. Even though many haters may argue, his sense of lyricsmithery is unique and his talent for it is cannot simply be dismissed. It's still brutal early-punk honesty mixed with a dash of sheer openness of emo feeling, but without the gothic morbidness that they had in their previous records. // 8

Overall Impression: I was excited when I found out they were to release a new one this year, but from what I heard, the essence of darkness which got me hooked onto them to start off with is gone, and it is just too pop for me. The lyrics were impressive, and the chorus is an absolute earworm, but IMHO, they have not really improved since Black Parade, hence me giving it this score. // 7

More My Chemical Romance reviews rating latest review