The Black Parade Review

my chemical romance: The Black Parade
Release Date: Oct 24, 2006
Label: Reprise
Genres: Punk-Pop, Emo, Alternative Pop/Rock
The Black Parade is way more dramatic, way more theatrical, completely over the top, borderline psychotic.
 Lyrics: 8.7
 8.6
 8.9
 8.2
The Black Parade Reviewed by: Amuro Jay, on october 27, 2006

Sound: First off: totally different from their first two albums. I was simply awestruck by how much they changed. I think they lost their emoness. The album is supposedley about a cancer patient who dies and goes over his life and the decisions he's made and the regrets he's had. The guitarists have become much better, and you can tell. There's some pretty good solos in this CD. Like always, the music is very interesting and some tracks are really really catchy. Each track has it's own unique style. // 10

Lyrics: Gerard's voice on this album is much more restrained than in the previous albums (thank God). Less of that all out scream, more actual singing. The singing and the guitars in this album completely complement eachother. Everything fits together perfectly. The lyrics in themselves are pretty good. The songs make sense now, unlike in Three Cheers where they were saying things like avenging ghosts and whatnot. I'm not gonna go look up what that means. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is seriously really great. It's really different from Bullets and Revenge. I don't know whether that good or bad, it's a matter of personal opinion. It takes some getting used to, I had to listen to the whole album a few times to really appreciate it. After I did, I realized how much I liked it. I love the fact that each song is unique in it's subject matter and style. The whole band has improved so much, and rob did a great job producing. This is definetly one of my favorite albums. You have to hear it for yourself to understand. Go buy it, download it, borrow from a friend, or whatever. It's worth it. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: Demonic_Angels, on march 05, 2007

Sound: My Chemical Romance return for their third album: "The Black Parade". All in all, "The Black Parade" is the best '70s album of the new millennium. The guitar riffs and solos bring back the classic rock feel that today's music lacks. // 3

Lyrics: It was defiantly nice to have new great Rock Opera. The lyrics follow a cancer patient's journey through the last bit of his life. Gerard Way's voice has improved quite a lot since "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge". The lyrics are very moving, in the sense that it really brings you to believe this cancer patient. They have Pink Floyd's "The Wall" darkness, and Queen's "A Night At The Opera" upbeat feeling, as well as My Chemical Romance's famous theme of death. // 4

Overall Impression: 01. The End - the perfect opening to the album. It opens with the heart monitor pulse, which leads into nice acoustic guitar, which leads into an explosion of guitar and drums. The lines like If you look in the mirror and don't like what you see, you can find out first hand what it's like to be me. bring the whole story to life. Great intro that leads into. 02. Dead! - the riffs in this are amazing. Great chorus. 03. This Is How I Disappear - this song has a fantastic chorus, and lyrics that are just stunning. 04. The Sharpest Lives - when I first heard this song I fell in love with it. The lyrics are some of the deepest lyrics I've heard since early rock. The song uses references to Shakespeare, and has a chorus that can blow anyone's mind. 05. Welcome To The Black Parade - the first single of the album. "Welcome To The Black Parade" starts off with a soothing intro using the infamous saying "Son, when you grow up, will you be the savior of the broken, the beaten and the damned." After a nice opening of Gerard's lovely tenor sound, a beautifully simple piano piece and a drum roll, the song really starts up. The song is rather upbeat with a very catchy tune, and one of the best ending chords I've ever heard. 06. I Don't Love You - the third single of the album is not my favorite song from the album, but even still it's amazing, which is saying something. It opens with a nice guitar riff, and leads into a powerful song. 07. House Of Wolves - this song makes me thing of early '70s music every times I hear it. The chorus is very catchy. This song is just simply very powerful. 08. Cancer - the softest song from the album, and one of my favorites. This is a very beautiful and sad song. It's the relief of the harder rock from the rest of the album. The lyrics are deep enough to pull at the heartstrings, using lines like: "I will not kiss you, 'cause the hardest part of this is leaving you." 09. Mama - returning to a harder rock mood, we come to the song "Mama". This song has a sort of Italian sound to it. Liza Minnelli comes in to join Gerard in singing. The sound of this song is very powerful, especially at the end when all the harmony kicks in. Beautiful. 10. Sleep - The song opens with a little talk about terrorists, the moves on into a fantastic song. The chorus has hardly any words, but even still, My Chemical Romance was able to pull of a great sound from the one world "Sleep". 11. Teenagers - this song is a much more upbeat song, about rebellious teenagers. This song is very catchy, and strong. It's a different approach to MCR, but of their greatest hits from "The Black Parade". 12. Disenchanted - this song starts out with lovely classical guitar, and leads into one of the catchiest songs on the album. The song is apparently about Bert McCracken from "The Used", but this is unconfirmed. The song is very melodic, and soothing, giving it a nice way to start wrapping things up. It ends with soft singing and the classical guitar riff from the beginning. 13. Famous Last Words - the second single of the album. "Famous Last Words" is the most powerful song on the album. This is one of the best endings to a Rock Opera I've heard since "Tommy". The lyrics "I see you lying next to me, with words I thought I'd never speak. Awake and unafraid, asleep or dead." is the kind of sound that sends shivers down one's spine. A fantastic song. 14. Blood - the hidden track of the album: "Blood". This song is of a very different sound, but extremely catchy. It has a nice simple piano piece, with bazaar lyrics that fit in to make a very nice touch to the end. This is an incredible album, hands down. This is the kind of album where it's very hard to choose a favorite song, because they're all amazing. In my opinion, the strongest songs are Famous Last Words and Cancer. This is defiantly, My Chemical Romance's best album to date, and exactly what music of today needed: reconnection with the classical rock sound. // 8

The Black Parade Reviewed by: MCRdweller, on october 31, 2006

Sound: My Chemical Romance's Black Parade is a mixture of awesome intense lyrics and vocals, sweet guitar riffs and solos, along with very theatrical piano, trumpets, and I think even accordian in one song. This CD is so awesome, the overall sound seem much more filtered through for a more clean sound, but still obtains MCR's raw intensity. I really like the diversity in each song that they are all very different and yet all very brilliant, definetly some of MCR's best work. // 10

Lyrics: The Lyrics in The Black Parade are some of the best I've ever heard. Gerard bluntly lays out much of the lyrics, and in some songs very poeticly, like "Juliet loves the beat and the lust it commands, drop the dagger and lather the blood on your hands, Romeo" The lyrics in this CD were not thrown together with no thought like some of the crap you hear today. The lyrics are probably one of my favorite things in this CD. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this CD is awesome, but I already know that, you need to go buy it and listen to it. You may have to listen through once or twice at least to truly get the effect of the CD, but this is definetly worth it. My favortite song on the album would have to be The Sharpest Lives or Dead, but the whole CD is good. I would definetly buy it again if it was lost or stolen. Buy The CD! // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: FeLiZgInAtO, on october 01, 2007

Sound: It seems to me that music is entering a downward spiral of sorts. Every ten years there is a band that comes along and changes the music scene and then dissapears like nothing ever happened. They have made their mark but have failed to stay along long enough to keep changing the scene (wether they broke up, members died, they became unpopular, ect). Last decade is was about the alternitave rock generation. Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Primus, Radiohead, R.E.M., Stone Temple Pilots and others helped shape this scene. Sadly these bands have either died out, lost their momentum, or broke up. Now we ar eleft with the new generation of music. And these guys are the poster boys of it. Ever since their humble Myspace beginnings My Chemical Romance has helped transform the children of those who experienced some of the most original music into a mass of black eyeliner, emo cut hairs, Hot Topic dwelling, Mall goth music listeners who prefer their music to sound the same (I suppose they fear the unfamiliar).With The Black Parade they have showed themselfs to the crowd as a band that will (sadly) be with us for some more years. Now to the album itself. Me and my girlfriend had a deal.She listens to The Smashing Pumpkins (one of my favorite bands) and their album Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness if I listen to My Chemical Romance (one of her favorite bands) and their album The Black Parade. Her favorite band is now The Smashing Pumpkins while I still hate these clown. The Black Parade attempts to loose the bands emo image by copy pasting the works of classic rock legends and 90's alternitave rock gods and crafting this pile of over the top (for the sake of trying to be unique and original) garbage. The album starts off telling the story of a dieing cancer patient (following the mold of the concepts started in their previous two albums.One about two bonnie and clyde lovers being chased down by vampires or some insanity and another a story about the same thing basically switched up a bit) and leads into the thrilling opener that is The End. The funny thing is that this song resembles Pink Floyd's opener on The Wall, In The Flesh, almost completely. Last time I checked plagirism is not an art form. The simplistic guitars and whiny over the top vocals of Gerard Way shoot this hunk of trash into the air and into Dead! The next track, enter the manditory catchy radio hit, blasts off with some insane Ray Toro guitar work (which is basically either some cliche' metal riff or a Brian May stolen guitar solo) and enters into the wall of music that is My Chem. This song just shows you what a band can be without any motivation in their lyrics, any skill in their instruments, any sense of direction in the song or any seperation between noise and actual music. As the song blazes on you can hear a trace rip off of The Beatles style horn section near the end of the song before it gets even more poppier with the "lalalala" bit they add in. And now the album really starts. I will admit Dead! has its catchy moments but I find it hard for any other song on here to manage even that. This Is How I Disappear rolls in with another blaze of glory with it's face paced riffs and wall of sound that make it just a juggernaut of four minutes of crap and leads inot The Sharpest Lives. Nothing special here either. Really it's barely worth mentioning. Then the centerpiece of the album kicks in. The sweet ballad of Welcome To The Black Parade comes in with Gerard's irritating babyish vocals telling some sad sob and motivational story about defending the beaten and the broken (probally some patriotic preaching of sorts) and the main character's father. Then it leads into a Queen like explosion of a orchestra of guitars and into the Blink 182 influenced pop punk chug that just bashes into your head over and over untill you get Gerard's retarted wailing voice stuck into your head. And of course. The wrist cutters anthem I Don't Love You walks in down in the dumps ready to make you she'd a few tears for Gerard's emotional struggles (or the main character of The Black Parade whichever Gerard wants you to feel sorry for).It should be a sweet ballad but leads into a bunch of yelling and half crying vocals that ruin any mood of tenderness.And here comes the solo(which I swear steals just a piece of Brian May's solo from Bohemian Raphsody)and after that the mellow keyboard piece (which is probally the only bit of decent song structure My Chem has ever produced) which explodes again in Gerard's tears and fears. And then before the album sinks too deep in even coming close to wrapping you into a set mood or brabbing you in the story of this man we go into House Of Wolves. A knock off of any Misfit's song ever produced with it's horror rock riffs and two tapping beats. Another catchy tune is all this song contributes to the album. After that burst of extremeness (sarcasm) we lead into the crestfallen Cancer which is just plain enough and boring enough to just skip right on over to Mama.The strangest song on the album, Mama sets up another Pink Floyd rip off with a bit of The Trial thrown in (right at the part where Liza pops in for a random visit)just to cash in on the popularity of a better concept album. Sleep creeps up with a tone the same of that of Cancer.Crestfallen, boring, doom and gloom all over.Some piano thrown in just to add a sense of maturity to the song. Next please. And what you get next is Teenagers.Catchy? Yes. But horribly idiotic. It fits no where on the album, it trys to be some punk rock anthem about teenage shootings and shows us really how hard the band trys to be punk. Disenchanted crawls in. Nothing special. Fast riff faster drums added with some annoying vocals and lyrics about some sort of depressing nothingness. And the last song pops in. The dramatic closer Famous Last Words. A song that actually is not (I can't believe it) half bad. Sure it's simple but at least there are a few points where the lyrics are decent the guitars soar and the vocals don't sound nearly as bad as they do on other songs. At least they end a crappy album with a somewhat decent song. Overall the album is just another fast paced, retro fad abusing, black eyeliner and fake punk rock image pile of mess. If you have any sense of good muscial taste then you should avoid this album this album. Spend your money elsewhere and forget that for the next few years these idiots will crawl all over the radio stations and spawn a whole new batch of Hot Topic mall goths. // 2

Lyrics: Less emo then any of their other albums but still hardly decent. Stupid cliche' punk rock lines, a few curse words thrown in, some crying over a lost love over and over again. In a nutshell they lyrics are easily recycled. Gerard proves to be the king of making people feel sorry for himself with this lyrical pile up. The only song that shows a tiny bit of skill is Famous Last Words. And you have to first decipher the words from Gerard's wannabe Freddy Mercury vocals. // 1

Overall Impression: It is better then their other albums. But untill they change their band name, stop dressing like they are at a funeral, and learn how to sing/write lyrics/play their instruments (the only one with decent skill is Ray Toro) then Gerard and the gang will remain another 13 year old boy/16 year old girl's wet dream and mall goth anthem writers. Don't buy. Don't download it. Don't steal it. Just try to find some other source of music for now (May I suggest Year Zero, Zeitgeist, Era Vulgaris, Icky Thump, Echoes Silense Patience and Grace as some decent albums that are fairly new releases). // 1

The Black Parade Reviewed by: takenthecannoli, on march 28, 2013

Sound: Jersey-born My Chemical Romance began as a post-hardcore act that evolved into the pop-punk macabre party of 2004: the apple of every emo's eye. "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge", the band's second release, rocketed the quintet into stardom that year, though shortly followed by a drummer swap for Bob Bryar. The band toured their new-found fame to death (appropriate considering the band's candid take on themes such as mortality, the supernatural, and suicide) before heading back into the studio for 2006's smash hit "The Black Parade". Far from collapsing under the weight of "Three Cheers", the album was Marilyn Manson-esque in its polarized critical praise and controversy, outselling and expanding the band's already relentless touring schedule. Ambition and meticulousness are encoded into the album's DNA, and it is in the same spirit that I breaking from my tradition of avoiding personal pronouns and commentary - write my final My Chemical Romance review, following the band's 2013 split. Over the course of the band's career, a tradition or two of their own seemed to emerge: specifically, the use concept albums and extremely varied sounds between albums. The band's 2002 debut featured post-hardcore with lyrics akin to any metal band's folklore fascination, though more in tune with a B-movie or horror comic than Iron Maiden's satanic exploits. "Three Cheers" featured linear notes parodying blockbuster horror, telling the story of "a man, a woman, and the corpses of a thousand evil men" told to the backdrop of a violently emotional form of pop/punk. Now, armed with a legion of eyeliner-loving fans (only some of whom made the connection between My Chemical Romance and, say, the Misfits), "The Black Parade" dispels any and all constraints with an even more dramatic evolution. This time around, elements of glam, blues, and metal creep their way into the Romance. "The Black Parade" is My Chemical Romance's first rock album. Continuing the band's favorite brand of irony utterly aware that we're in on the joke the record opens with "The End.", a track so heavily layered in its Floydian guitar riff that there are, according to guitarist Ray Toro, octaves played not immediately distinguishable (if at all): "Rob [Cavallo, producer] came up with the idea of playing the main riff in every octave possible on the guitar." (from the album's deluxe edition Making Of booklet). Though not staggeringly innovative, it is one of many moments of depth throughout the record, suggesting that the band spared no expense on creating the next big rock album. The Floyd references don't end there; "Mama" has a bridge right out of "The Wall"'s big finale, and some of the record's themes recall that album. Queen shows up in "Welcome To The Black Parade" in Toro's solo, though it is less overt and therefore less intrusive to anyone familiar with Queen's discography. "This Is How I Disappear" likewise recalls Iron Maiden, and is the closest the band comes to a truly metal song. If there is one flaw in the record, it is that it, perhaps, recalls the band's heroes a bit too often. Fans of "The Wall" especially will hear "In The Flesh?" in "The End." and "The Trial" in "Mama". At no time does it deter the listening experience, and "The Black Parade" is so much less pedantic than "The Wall" that the similarities are mainly in the album's supposed story line, which is explained at length by the band but referred to only thematically in the songs. The greatest changes for the band come with "I Don't Love You" and "Cancer", both ballads in their own right. "I Don't Love You" is big and brash, while "Cancer" (in which bassist Mikey Way is actually distinguishable!) is the band's only piano-driven track (apart from the satirical hidden track, "Blood"). Experimentation is more helpful than hurtful, though "Cancer" in particular feels uncomfortable among classic My Chemical Romance. In the context of the record, however, it adds honest tragedy to some of the black humor. Instrumentation is at its best on "The Black Parade"; the addition of Bryar on drums gives the record a power neither of its predecessors had. The guitars sound bigger and badder, with "Dead!" blasting its solo and "House Of Wolves" giving Toro an opportunity to well shred. The duality from "Three Cheers" is still distinguishable in "Teenagers", though big numbers such as "Mama" and "Disenchanted" (a solemn goodbye of sorts) are crafted as a full song, rather than by the band's individual parts. Unfortunately, guitarist Frank Iero is less present than on "Three Cheers", though what he does bring to the record is equally exciting. Even without this element so key in the band's previous releases the songs are astounding. Most of all, they sound massive. Additionally, "The Black Parade" distinguishes itself with atmospheric introductions ("The End.", "Mama", "Sleep") and anthemic choruses surpassing the depth of anything previous. "Famous Last Words" is a notably powerful track, featuring the best performances on the entire record. Cavallo's production intensifies every note, often matching or out-performing his previous 2000s rock hit, Green Day's "American Idiot". With "The Black Parade", My Chemical Romance has finally found the vessel for their unabashed love of rock, theatrics, and emotional storytelling. The songs are more distinctive from one another than those on "Three Cheers", and often more interesting musically. Bryar brings a punch previously unseen by the band. If the band's aim was to redefine itself, it achieved that goal and them some: with "American Idiot", it stands as one of the great releases in the dwindling post-9/11 world of rock. Some moments almost approach their influences a bit rapidly (though "American Idiot" certainly had that problem in regards to The Who), though they pass by just as rapidly and brilliantly disguise extinct genres for a new audience. Most importantly, "The Black Parade" opens the band to an even wider audience, and proves once again that there is no single My Chemical Romance sound nor, it seems, do they need one. // 8

Lyrics: "The Black Parade" dresses singer/songwriter Gerard Way in the clothes of The Patient, the album's cancer-sick protagonist. The record, similar to "The Wall" or "The Final Cut", journeys through his life as he wastes away in a hospital bed. Rarely are these elements explicitly outlined "The End." could mean anything though the point is always communicated masterfully. One common criticism of "The Wall" is its tendency to use its narrative to drift from one centerpiece to the next, often swallowing several minutes along the way. "The Black Parade" suffers none of this, crafting each and every song to stand on its own in a very big way. The narrative is the colorful pictures that aid those struggling with the abstract nature of thematic rock opera, rather than the words of the book. The Patient's story is used to explore some of the band's favorite topics self-image, fear, betrayal, and death and a few new faces; among these are sex, trauma, violence, and maturity. "Dead!" is condescending of wasted time in a tonal satire of sorts: "No one ever had much nice to say/I think they never liked you anyway... If life ain't just a joke/Then why am I dead?" "The Sharpest Lives" is a drunken ramble in which the Patient pledges "a kiss and I will surrender" while confessing "I'm drunk, I suppose", while the occasional moan (or outright scream) is suggestive of malicious intent. "House Of Wolves" may be the most closely related to the story's narrative, with themes of mortality, guilt, and sin: "I think I'm gonna burn in Hell... I've been a bad motherf--ker" and other rants litter the track. "Sleep" is an insomniatic guilt trip, with the Patient experiencing night terrors of family members' deaths. It isn't all despair: each track, hopeless as it is, almost always looks up: "Tell me I'm a bad man" in "House Of Wolves" is almost desperately blatant in its need to confess and repent. Finally, "Famous Last Words" signs off with something of a cliffhanger ending: does the patient die? Does he live? This is never addressed, but the point is clear: "The Black Parade" is, in the end, about neither lament nor despair, but hope. As "Welcome To The Black Parade" insists "we'll carry on," the finale growls into "I am not afraid to keep on living." Many records boast great music, but few delve into as many subjects as "The Black Parade". Perhaps its greatest strength is the freedom and daring to scrutinize the same people and analyze the same motives as acts like Pink Floyd. The songs are not about romantic encounters, nor self-important rants over need for affection, nor even suicide letters. My Chemical Romance, as this record suggests, is very progress-oriented and very interested in solutions. Every facet of every topic is thoroughly explored, with not one loose end among its many thematic endeavors. Lyrically, the occasional "soggy from the chemo" will interrupt, but it is as quickly forgiven as the reverent musical elements. The story is far from intrusive: The Patient, at some points, becomes irrelevant, and "The Black Parade" transforms into a very personal, very intimate experience. It asks questions everyone is interested in again, akin very much to Marilyn Manson and other figures of controversy. Neither answer nor solution is bottled and sold, or even brought to light. Truly, this is the strong point of "The Black Parade"'s storytelling and lyricism. Gerard Way has shown marked improvement with each release, and "The Black Parade" is no different and entirely different. Stylistically, he is much wider and more striking than on either "Bullets" or "Three Cheers". He blasts through every lyric like a sucker punch, provided he isn't crooning with the intimacy missing from other bands of the age. "Mama" is a cacophony of character acting (Liza Minnelli notwithstanding). "Disenchanted" is particularly strong, with both sides boldly on display, though "Welcome To The Black Parade" is the best example of vocal range and "Famous Last Words" is staggering. "The Black Parade" elevates Way into rock star status, effectively shedding past identities, for as well as they worked for their respective eras. // 8

Overall Impression: "The Black Parade" is My Chemical Romance's great novel; their anthem; the heart and soul of the band. It sees greater musical capability, an melodic range astounding for its inspiration and age, and more hits than any other release from the band. Even without the broad narrative and the Sgt Pepper outfits, it challenges more deeply than any other My Chemical Romance record. It is far darker than either "Bullets" or "Three Cheers", but not for more blood or melodramatics or more "emo". It is darker because it is simply more human. It is simply more vulnerable. It digs into every crevice of The Patient even when it isn't detailing one little detail of his or her life, and thus gnaws at the listener and demands every ounce of attention. Musically, it is today's equivalent to emotional roller coasters like "The Wall" and "Tommy", often casting away the flaws each of those records sported. It is the great adventure of a great band. "The Black Parade" is, simply put, a classic.

// 9

The Black Parade Reviewed by: LOVECANTSAVEYOU, on october 27, 2006

Sound: Wow. Where do I begin? Sound? Amazing. Blew me away. I thought that they sort of rushed this album out. Don't ask me why but I did. But I'm glad it is out because it is amazing. The guitar sound is amazing. But they should have had some bass solos. You don't hear much of the bass when you listen to there songs. I play bass so that is a down point for me. I really like this album, got it the day it came out. And well I'm writing this the day it came out. Guitar amazing. Bass, needs more. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics. Great. I really like the song called "Cancer". It's really emotional and it's saying that the person has cancer and that he's not himself because of the chemo. I really like that song. In a lot of there songs they're talking about people dying. Like Dead! even though I like that song a lot, by the title you can tell they're talking about someone who they want to die or is going to or is. I really like that one. My favorite one is probably "House Of Wolves". I like really fast paced songs and that one is and the lyircs in that one are good too. "Welcome To The Black Parade", wow. I really like the lyrics in that song. Especially the beginning when he is talking how his father took him into the city to see The Black Parade. Very well done. Like I said before it is a lot about people dying, but they mainly concentrate on that in the beginning. In the end I think they change and get a little more upbeat and maybe just a little bit more emotional. Awesome Lyrics. Gerard blows me away. // 9

Overall Impression: Get this album. Just like all I can say. Some of the best songs are Dead!, Welcome To The Black Parade, House Of Wolves, Cancer, Mama, Teenagers, and Disenchanted. I really love this album. It's great. But it just kills me that they don't have any bass solos. I just wish they did have some then it would make me like it even more. That is if I could like it any more than I do. If this CD were lost or stolen, yeah I would go out and buy another copy. Are you crazy? Who wouldn't? It's awesome. // 9

The Black Parade Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 30, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album has changed dramatically from the raw aggression of the previous albums. Each song is a unique venture into the life (or death) of 'The Patient', a cancer victim who is dying at the start of the album, and dead by the second track, "Dead!" The album relives his life, his memories and his regrets; his strongest memory being the 'Black Parade', a marching band he saw when he was young. Each song is individual in style and message, there's at least one song for everyone on this album, from the emotional, sorrowful "Cancer", to the polka-styled "Mama", and the comic, yet dark, and even Monty Python-like "Blood". A more refined sound than there previous albums. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of this album are again deeply diverse, but mostly contain double-meanings. Such as the song "Disenchanted", in one way a song about 'The Patient' confronting his imminent death, but also conveying Gerard Way's feelings about his recent fall out with The Used. The lyrical style of the album is again extremely different from previous albums, whereas "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge" was an aggressive, violent, portrayal of one man's quest to bring his lover back from the dead, "The Black Parade" is more balanced, and, whilst still dark and brooding, the lyrics convey this in a much more subtle manner, more complex than previous outings. // 9

Overall Impression: In my personal opinion, the album "Three Cheers" is better, but this album is still wonderful in it's own right, way ahead of any competition. This album has something for everyone, even if it is only one song that reaches you. The only negative aspect of this album is that it's comparatively slower than the previous two, although that is only personal preference, and others may think this an advantage. A first-class album overall, and another great performance from My Chemical Romance. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: flurgon, on february 13, 2007

Sound: The newest My Chemical Romance album "The Black Parade" I found was a huge dissapoinment! I was a huge fan of the band but their new album's sound has completely changed, there are only a few songs which have kept the original punk sound that the band used to have. The style of music is now more of a Queen kind of sound, and the only way to recognise the band as My Chemical Romance is now by the voice of frontman Gerard Way. // 4

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't the bleak My Chemical Romance that the first two albums had but they are still fairly good and go well with their new style of music. Gerard Way's singing is still very good, he seems to be the only way you can identify this album with the previous ones. // 8

Overall Impression: This album does in no way compare to their older ones. I'd say the most impressive songs from this album are "I Don't Love You", "House Of Wolves" and "Famous Last Words". There's nothing that I particularly love about the album, but I hate the fact that the band have completely changed their style. I found this album a huge dissapointment and if it we're lost or stolen I wouldn't purchase it again! // 5

The Black Parade Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 27, 2006

Sound: My Chemical Romance has changed so much. They truly did "become a new band" for this album, and a better one at that. Their sound has evolved lightyears ahead of what it once was. There are a lot of different arrangements and layers to the music on this record. Each song is it's own being; each one stands appart as a work of art. There are a lot of string arrangements and pianos used. It really is effective in making this record epic and so much different from all the other bands out there. One of the little effects I loved most about this album is the beep of a flatline at the beginning of "Dead!" before it explodes into a tragic-yet-upbeat piece. Another amazing aspect of this record is that the guitarist both discover the "solo". There were a few on "Three Cheers", but not nearly as talented or as fitting as the many that can be found on "The Black Parade", sometimes multiple solos in one song! // 10

Lyrics: A new revelation for MCR: every sing word fits perfectly to the music! There isn't a single lyric that feels out of place. The lyrics chronicle the death of "The Patient", who dies at the beginning of "Dead!" (go figure). I haven't actually figured out the story or read any detail into it but from what I can tell, the Patient reflects back on his life and family. Gerard Way's vocals are perfect. He can create a catchy, upbeat song ("Welcome To The Black Parade", "Teenagers") or a tragic one ("Cancer"). Not only has his voice seemingly improved, but the vocal tracks are layered to create a whole new level of depth to this record. A choice exerpt includes "Well they said 'Teenagers scare the living shit out of me" ("Teenagers"). // 10

Overall Impression: My Chemical Romance has changed their sound drastically while still retaining their uniqueness. The best tracks include "The End./Dead!", "Welcome To The Black Parade", "I Don't Love You", "House Of Wolves", "Cancer", "Mama", and "Teenagers". This record will probably draw in new fans who didn't like the older material, as well as keep those die-hard fans. There is such a variety of music on this record, there's probably at least one song for everyone to like. If this CD were stolen, I would buy another one immediately and let them keep it. I believe that this is My Chemical Romance reborn, and "The Black Parade" is a second chance for anyone who didn't like them the first time around. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 27, 2006

Sound: You all are in for a pleasent surprise. The sound of this album is very very different than Bullets and Revenge, but as addicting. It's a more grown-up, put together sound that you wouldn't know they could achieve. Ten years from now, looking back at this album, it will seem more like a Pink Floyd or Queen rather than the new infatuating band everyone had suddenly caught onto. The first listen of this CD pulls you in and won't let you go for a very long time. Very catchy and out there. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have improved a lot in my opinion (and I adore every lyric MCR has written). They are harsher in a way that they don't say "He stabbed me, the blood came out, this was the worst pain ever," but more like when you hear the lyrics, they mean something and it's raw, the emotion they set in you. The lyrics fit the sound of the songs very well. You find yourself singing along after hearing only one verse. Gerard's voice has matured in this cd. He has the talent where he can sing as he usually does, scream out in passion with raw emotion (as I said before), and make himself sound like a completely different person while still keeping his style. Amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: You can't say this album better or worse than it's older siblings. The change of pace truly makes this a different band singing this brand new style. As far as a concept album, that is a bit sketchy. You really only see the connection in half the songs, much like Revenge's concept of the man and woman in love dealing with the devil. Song's that I say are my favorites (every one is amazing, by the way) would be: "This is How I Disappear", "The Sharpest Lives", "I Don't Love You", "Welcome To The Black Parade" (obviously), "Mama" (soooo different, you will be stunned), "Teenagers", "Disenchanted", "Famous Last Words" and you will definately laugh your ass off at the end when you hear 'Blood'. I'm not sure if I should say any more about that. Great humor on the serious concept of the album. Once you have this cd, you will have and love it forever. Happy listening! // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: METSOAD, on november 08, 2006

Sound: Over the last few years My Chemical Romance have confused, irritated and anoyyed the hell out of me and the only reason I heard this album was the manic obbession by a number of my friends. I expected it to like the first two albums, unorganised, overly-emotional and annoying pop-punk music. I was proved wrong by this album, it has exceeded any opinoon that I formally had of the band. The sound is theatrical, almost as if it is a musical rather than a rock record, and clinically insane. Ray Torro is by no means the worlds greatest guitarists but can smack a mean solo in a song, for a prime example listen to "Dead" or "Teenagers". Frank Iero is also a good guitar player but his style is more subtle compared to his counterparts lunacy. The bass playing is a mix of simple and effective, and bouncy and energetic although there are no innovations. The Drumming numbs the mind, some of the drum fills are simply insane and if the style of the music had been any different it would have been over complicated. // 8

Lyrics: Gerrad Way has matured greatly as a singer. His voice is now more restrianed and sort of resemblent of a younger Chino Moreno mixed with and younger Ian Watkins and less of the desperate shouting noise that put me off the rest of thier back catalouge. Some of this albums lyrics are a little too "emo" for my liking, i.e, "Cancer", the hidden track and "Dead!". But then again there some little bits of genius. "This is how I disappear" is a lyrical master peice with some great lines and the really random "F###" which made me laugh. "Mama" is about the war and displays the feeling of a soldier who knows he is going to die and is talking to his mum. This is the most insane of all the songs lyrically. Sleep has some immortal lines like "they say suffer all the children and walk away a saviour" and "the hardest part, is letting go of your dreams". This song is quite mature for a band this young and still relativley new. // 8

Overall Impression: "The End" is a strange song but a nice way to open the album. It shows a desperation to escape and not die. "Dead" starts with the most unusually good guitar solo. It is unusual because the song sounds more like older My Chemical Romance than the rest of the album. This is how I disappear sounds a bit like Trivium moulded to Placebo. Yet it works giving something completly new and unexpected from the band. I have to say it is the first song I have ever liked a lot from this band. I can't say much about "The Sharpest Lives" but it isn't that bad. "Welcome to the Black Parade" is My Chemical Romances last attempt to keep with their older style, and despite the massive intro and cool guitar solo it is weak and too simple. "I don't love you" is possibly the worst track on the album, the lyrics are overly "EMO" and I can find nothing in the song musically that impresses me. One song I do like is the next track "House of Wolves". It's lyrical theme is impressive and the song has a good structure, buut the repeativeness of the end of the song slightly gets on my nerves. "Cancer" is the sort of song that annoys you at first then you fall in love with it. It is more like a peice of drama than a song and it is, on top of other things, a spectacle. Mama is a brilliant song. it's riffs are quite frankly awesome (especially the middle bit which uses a lot of Metal techniques) the lyrics are easy to understand yet not catchy. If Cancer is a play, this is a full blown Andrew Lloyd Webber musical of ther most extreme kind. "Sleep" is the entire peak of the album in all senses of the word, the meoldies are the best, the lyrics and vocals are brillaint and the entire spectacle of listening to this song is simply amazing. A total suprise compared to what the band is famous for writing. "Teenagers" is a blatant AC#DC rip off with some pretty cool riffs and soloing. But the cool bit about this song is the statement "Teenagers scare the living s### out of me". Disenchanted bred me a little, it was slightly limp wristed comapred to the 3 track that had gone before it. "Famous Last Words" is quite an epic song and has cool singing and some cool riffs. "Blood" is a hidden track, and I have only been able to hear it once, it is a very good song but overall it is quite short and I would have liked it to be longer. Overall this is an album of some awful tracks and a few gems. It is by far the best record ever written by a band that has been considered EMO, i can't wait for the musical that the band say that they are going to write based on this. please more of this and less of "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge." // 8

The Black Parade Reviewed by: LedZeppelin, on december 26, 2006

Sound: First off, the production on this album is a step up and down from Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge. On the plus side, all the intricacies of the dual guitar work here are largely more audible, but Frank and Ray use so many effects that it often gets muddled. The drums sound fine, and the bass got cranked up. Unfortunately, Gerard's vocals aren't loud enough for a lyrical concept album, but these are minor qualms. The sound is a frantic mixture of guitars, vocals, bass, drums, and a myriad of other instruments. It's the same semi-emo MCR everybody knows, but with a theatrical, David Bowie/Queen-esque makeover. Tracks like This Is How I Disappear and The Sharpest Lives are the closest thing you get to Three Cheers/I Gave You My Bullets, with the majority of tracks consisting of piano art-rock-emo. It can be a bit much at times, but it's a wonderful change and a good sign for mainstream music. The guitar work here is significantly improved, and though most songs sound simplistic upon first listen, there's a LOT going on. // 9

Lyrics: The Black Parade is a concept album, but like Three Cheers' disjointed storyline, nobody really cares or bothers to follow it. Unfortunately, this means that the songs seem disconnected, and every track is treated as the "grand finale"- melodramatic lyrics, guitar harmonies, and Gerard's pained vocals soar on almost every track. This can get a little tiring, and makes it less of an "album album" than their first two. Bullets and Three Cheers were structurally sound in terms of musical organization, but The Black Parade is everywhere at once. Gerard's vocals are essentially the same as on Three Cheers. If you liked him already, you'll love The Black Parade, and if you didn't, well, you probably didn't like the band in the first place. // 8

Overall Impression: I'd say it's better than Three Cheers but doesn't quite measure up to the brilliance of I Brought You My Bullets. This is due to the sometimes iffy production and overall "drunk-carnie-at-the-soundboard" approach to the album's organization and sound. I'm extremely impressed by this release more due to it's social musical significance. MCR was the biggest band around when Three Cheers started getting recognition and were hated by as many as they were loved. The pressure to commercialize their next album must have been bearing down on them like a ton of lead bricks, and they've released a progressive art-rock-emo album totally out of left field, much to my surprise. It's still retained their serious-but-not-really approach to writing music and the charm that their fans continue to adore, and for that, I have an enormous amount of respect for MCR. Bear in mind this is coming from someone whose favorite music ranges from Cannibal Corpse to Vivaldi. If you're looking for a first MCR album, buy Bullets, then Three Cheers, then perhaps The Black Parade. For people who are already MCR fans, pick it up. It's an interesting endeavor from a band which you wouldn't expect to experiment very much, and for the most part, it succeeds. Come on, you're not going to hear the manic, Liza Minelli-cameo-d "Mama" or perfectly executed guitar harmonies of "Sleep" or "Welcome To The Black Parade" many other places. This album won't change your opinion on MCR if you didn't already like them, but that's never been one of the band's goals. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: The Spoon, on january 05, 2007

Sound: My Chemical Romance has returned with "The Black Parade" and I have to tell you that it may be their best effort to date. It is a concept record about a cancer patient (creatively titled "The Patient") who is dying and when he starts to die, a militaristic marching band dressed in black comes to take him away. Gerard Way (singer) beleives that before death, everyone envisions the strongest memory they had, and for The Patient, it's his father taking him to see a marching band (As you can tell by the opening lyrics of Welcome To The Black Parade). TBP is very different from the other two releases (Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge and I borught You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love.) First of all all of the songs fell slower and less brutal than the songs on Three Cheers and Bullets. Second, everyone in the band has improved on their parts. The singing is a lot better, the drumming and bass, and last but not least, the guitars. The other two albums were about getting revenge. This album is more like getting over your problems, in a non-violent way. // 10

Lyrics: This band has talent when it comes to lyrics. They aren't straightforward with you either. They like to use metaphors and lots of imagery, which is what every good songwriter should use. Now, I know there are lots of songwriters that are way better and more talented than MCR, but I love the way they write their music. Gerard has quit drinking, so he is much better with his singing on this record. I think there are three songs on this record where I love the lyrics. "Dead!", "The Sharpest Lives", and "House of Wolves". I like the lyrics on Dead! because it's fun to sing along. The Sharpest Lives is amazing because the entire song is fast and fun to sing. My favorite part to sing along with is the verse. And finally House of Wolves because it's so punishing (Well I think I'm gonna burn in Hell! Everybody burn the house down). // 9

Overall Impression: MCR definately sets apart from the other bands out there. It isnt really a thing you can describe, you just have to listen and see for yourself. I can't really name a song on the record that is "my favorite", but the one I like the least is "Sleep". I love how each song on the album is completely different from each other. I felt that in Three Cheers, most of the songs sounded the same (Although many of you will disagree). The thing that really gets to me though is the fact that it basically copied Pink Ployd's "The Wall". The intro song on the Wall is called "In the Flesh?" and the song resembles "The End" very much. I lost respect for the band after I listened to "The Wall". Well if this record was stolen for me, I believe I would have to hunt down the person that stole it and violently kill them. Did I mention very violently? I have been counting down to the day this record released (October 24th) since the day I heard the release date of TBP. Call me obsessed, but I love this band. // 9

The Black Parade Reviewed by: orion284, on october 27, 2006

Sound: My Chemical Romance. A lot of things to say about them. First off, Gerard Way's singing is pretty awesome. He add's a few more notes to his vocal range this time. Ray and Frank are amazing guitarists. This album isn't as hardcore as 3 Cheers 4 Sweet Revenge. The styles of the CD would have to be emo and post-hardcore. The first song on the album is The End. It's a very short song, just a measley minute and 52 secs. It leads into Dead! You can imagine what this song's about. Song number 3 is This Is How I Disappear. Pretty good intro. Slows down with the guitar in the first verse then picks right back up. The fourth song is The Sharpest Lives. Pretty good. Cool guitar effects on some parts. Song # 5 is Welcome To The Black Parade, the first single off the cd. Good drums, good guitar and well, bass. Gerard's lyrics are awesome on this song. Probably the least emo song on the album. I Don't Love You is the 6th song. The most emo song on the album. Pretty good guitar. Very repetitve lyrics. Like when you go, would even turn to say, I don't love you, like I did, yesterday. Anyway, moving on. 7th song called House Of Wolves. Amazing intro. Outstanding chorus. Song number 8 is called Cancer. Has nothing to do with cancer. This one's a piano driven song. 9th song is called Mama. Weird guitar, but cool. Weakest song on the CD. Sleep is the next one. Has a weird voice coming from a tape recorder it sounds like. The intro has the voice and a piano. The verse has some acoustic guitar and piano again. Teenagers is kinda funny and very true. Cool guitar in this song. Good drums in this one too. Disenchanted is the 12th song cool acoustic guitar and pretty good lyrics. Famous Last Words is the 13th song on the cd. Again good guitar. Gets better in the middle of the verse. Blood is the last song and it's also an extra song. Has about a minute of silence. Has a cool piano. // 9

Lyrics: Very emo lyrics. I don't really mind but some people might. If you don't like emo anything, this album is not for you. This band is not really for you then. Gerard Way's ability to write lyrics is very cool. Every CD he comes up with something new, even if it's just on one song. // 10

Overall Impression: It doesn't really compare to MCR's other album's because this is not as hardcore as 3 Cheers or You Brought Me Your Bullets. It's probably the most emo out of them all. If this CD was lost or stolen I would deffinitely dish out the 12 bucks I paid for another one. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: TheDisenchanted, on october 27, 2006

Sound: My Chemical Romance have to be one of the best bands around today. Their previous albums rocked us all and now they're back (not that they ever went away) to do it all over again with their new album 'The Black Parade'. 'The Black Parade' has to be, well for me anyway, the best album that's come out so far this year. My Chemical Romance have a great sound unlike any other band that's around today, it's truly unique. The album has some songs that are quite slow which shows that My Chemical Romance are trying to broaden the range of styles that they use, although this has come up in some of their earlier albums. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are superb and obviously well thought through. In 'Welcome To The Black Parade' the lyrics tell the story of a person looking back on their childhood and remembering their father. These excellent lyrics are supported by an superb melody. I think the build up in the intro is particularly effective. Gerrard Way's voice just fits perfectly with the song. I think that maybe the band's childhood and thier experiences as children feature in the lyrics of the songs. // 10

Overall Impression: No album is perfect but this ones not far off. The range of excellent songs including 'Welcome To The Black Parade', 'I Don't Love You' and 'Dead!' just makes you want to listen to it all the time. The thing that I think is the best about this album is the quality of the songs. I'm sure there are bad points about the album but I can't find any at the moment. It's a truly amazing album and I'm sure it will go down with the best albums in rock like: Appetite For Destruction, Guns N' Roses, Back In Black, AC/DC and Master Of Puppets, Metalica. It's a must have for your CD rack. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: disca-limer8, on november 28, 2006

Sound: A good album from a good band is hard to find these days, but now things are a lot different. We found a good band and a good album. The band is My Chemical Romance, and the album is "The Black Parade". The things I'd see in a band (and its music) should be easy to listen to, creativity, and (above all) sounding like effort, having a lot of effort put in the music. "The Black Parade" is really Gerard thinking that death can come to you in any way you want. This is the first punk rock opera that anyone has heard for a while squeezed into one hit record. Some of the songs' tunes aren't original but easy to listen to. If it were up to me, I'd make every song on that album into a music video 'cause it is so freakin' awesome. To make a long story short, I give the albums' plot line and rock-ability an 8 out of 10. // 8

Lyrics: The things I search for in a songs' lyrics are originality, in-sync with the background music, and rock-ability. In "The Black Parade" not only are the songs original, but they are up inside the plot like a sponge taking in water. I'll break each song for lyric ratings. "The End" isn't very rock-able and the lyrics kind of suck. "Dead!" is a rock ballad and has original lyrics for the punk rocker. "This Is How I Disappear" is an awesome song for an easy listener, and it has good rock-ability, the lyrics just suck. "The Sharpest Lives" can be a good break for a punk rocker, the song is not rock-able, but the lyrics are pretty good. "Welcome to the Black Parade" is an awesome song with great rock-ability, the lyrics are awesome and original. // 7

Overall Impression: The most impressive songs on the album are "Welcome to the Black Parade", "Mama", and "House Of Wolves". This album is worth losing and getting another. My Chemical Romances' "The Black Parade" is awesome. // 9

The Black Parade Reviewed by: boyan89, on december 05, 2006

Sound: My Chemical Romance completely changed their style and this is their best album ever and the sound is just undescriblable because well it's overwhelming, it's amazing and very, very nice. Frank and Ray do an amazing job on the guitars and this album has a lot more hardcore solos than their past 2 albums.The drums have improved a lot and I think they are hardcore and they just go along with the music perfecly. Bass is amazing on this album and I think that Mikey just improves with every album. So yah MCR changed their sound a lot and that amazed me because the solos, the bass and the drums are just insane and I can't wait until theuir next album comes out. // 10

Lyrics: Gerard Way has amazing songwriting skills and he is my favourite punk rock songwriter. He is just amazing when it comes down to him writing lyrics. He wrote some very beatiful songs like "I Don't Love You", "Cancer", and "Disenchanted". And some songs that have really good and meaningful lyrics like "The Sharpest Lives" which is like about a hangover I think. And another meaningful and "Famous Last Words" which is abot someone leaving you and then not being pissed off about it. // 10

Overall Impression: This album cannot compare to any other artists because they can't compare to any artists because they completely changed their style. The most impressive songs are Famous Last Words, The Sharpest Lives, Disenchanted, Teenagers and Dead. I love all the other songs but these are the ones that really appealed to me. I love everything about this album and I love the fact that most of the songs have solos and that impressed me because MCR can do solos amazingly well. I hate nothing about this album because everything just fits perfectly well. If it were stolen/lost I would buy like 2 new ones or stolen I would kill the guy who jacked it. So yah I love MCR and I can't wait for there new stuff. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: BartK, on december 11, 2006

Sound: My Chemical Romance may be the oldest young band in America. None of the members, singer Gerard Way, his brother and bassist Mikey, drummer Bob Bryar and guitarists Ray Toro and Frank Iero, is old enough to have bought David Bowie's Diamond Dogs on the day it came out. But The Black Parade, the New Jersey group's third studio album, is the best mid-Seventies record of 2006, a rabid, ingenious paraphrasing of echoes and kitsch from rock's golden age of bombast. // 9

Lyrics: The opening fanfare, "The End," blows up like an outtake from Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Babies, with glam-Godzilla guitars and spook-choir hurrahs. "Dead!" is a sleek, bleak bruiser, like Queen's "Keep Yourself Alive" in widow's weeds. And in the hyperoperatic "Mama," Way, playing a soldier up to his neck in blood, raging against the woman who gave him life, briefly duets with Liza Minnelli, who belts her two big lines only to have Way sing back at her with vicious obscenity. It is brassy casting, as if Minnelli has been dropped into a Glenn Danzig production of Bertolt Brecht's Mother Courage and Her Children. It also sounds like an idea Alice Cooper (the singer) might have had in 1976 while golfing with George Burns. But this is not the Seventies, and My Chemical Romance are very much a band of their time, post-9/11. The first song Way wrote for the group (with ex-drummer Matt Pelisser) was "Skylines and Turnstiles," based on his experience that day in New York, watching the Twin Towers fall in front of him. There is a lot of fire and rubble in these songs, too. And there are bodies all over the place -- dead in the streets ("Welcome to the Black Parade"); near death in hospital beds ("Dead!" and "Cancer"); or just too numb to give a shit about morality ("House of Wolves") or forgiveness ("I Don't Love You"). Starting with a riff that stabs and stutters like an old Buzzcocks lick and packing a bridge that is pure Iron Maiden, "This Is How I Disappear" is an exciting, perverse goodbye, from one lost soul to the object of his suffocating affection. "And without you is how I disappear/And live my life alone/Forever now," Way sings from the depths of obsession, and, it seems, his grave. The poetry is rickety, but the self-pity is arena-ready. // 9

Overall Impression: Next to that, My Chemical Romance's 2004 album, Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge, is orthodox buzz-saw misery. Apparently, the band, which co-produced the vacuum-packed overkill of The Black Parade with Rob Cavallo, who also worked on Green Day's punk-suite hit, American Idiot, now believes that if you're going to feel sorry for yourself, you might as well do it with gusto. "When I grow up, I want to be nothing at all!" Way wails in "The End," surrounded by what sounds like ELO with a case of G n' R. The excess comes with diminishing returns. Cavallo and the group over-rely on the avenging-army drumroll shtick, and what is deliciously vintage for most of the record, Way's bright, breathless yelp, with harmonies stacked to eternity; the lightning bolts of Brian May and Mick Ronson cutting through Toro's and Iero's widescreen grind, loses luster by Tracks Twelve and Thirteen, "Disenchanted" and "Famous Last Words." The best last words should have been Track Eleven, "Teenagers," a tight fist of T. Rex-style crunch with a great punch-the-air chorus: "They said all/Teenagers scare/The living shit out of me." Teenagers are the ones who should be scared shitless. They are about to inherit a hell on this earth that is more terrifying, day by day, than anything Way imagines here. In fact, the most realistic and contemporary thing about this album's supercharged-Seventies Armageddon is his bitter, almost jealously guarded helplessness in nearly every song. Content to be the Queen of complaint (and damn good at it), My Chemical Romance offer no answers and give no hope, except for the shot of light that comes in the second manic half of "Welcome to the Black Parade," whenever Way hits the vocal hook. "We'll carry on," he sings repeatedly, at full rock-hero tilt. He doesn't say where. But the way he says it sounds great and worth believing, no matter how old you are. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: MEmmett, on january 19, 2007

Sound: My Chemical Romance seemed to have taken a strange and unexpected but occasionally rewarding turn to '70s style classic rock! A unique-but-then-again-not blend of their traditional punk rock sound (it is most certainly NOT emo; see Braid, Mineral, Sunny Day Real Estate or better yet Rites of Spring for emo) and a new burst of Queen style ringing guitars. At first I thought this was absolutely awful; the title track "(Welcome to) The Black Parade" was utterly pretentious and annoying, especially the first minute or so. I also thought "Cancer" was an nessecary but utterly ridiculous reminder of the horrors of that disease (in fact the only redeeming feature of that song is that if they were to release it as a single, they would get a cancer charity involved.) However, I think that the good most definately outweighs that bad on this CD; I thought that "Teenagers" was incredibly catchy if not terribly original; the roaring "Famous Last Words" is a tune that will most definately get stuck in your head (it got stuck in mine). Overall, a good set of track unfortunately diluted by a few bad. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics aren't terribly good, the second album by MCR to do this (see "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)" off of "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge") but they do the job relatively well. I think maybe Gerrard Way could have put just a little more effort into writing them, they are very haphazard; on some tracks they shine and on some they more or less ruin them. // 5

Overall Impression: My overall impression is one of a band growing up, like so many do, and finding its own direction at last, instead of this being the difficult second album (their breakthrough "Three Cheers" holds that title) this is their difficult third, in a startlingly new direction that I think would work if they maybe did another album in this style, but we will just have to wait and see I suppose! Overall, a good effort, and I think it is a definate improvement over their last, and that's what matters in the end. // 9

The Black Parade Reviewed by: JL Sevenfold, on february 21, 2007

Sound: MCR keeps getting better and better with each CD they make, and this is no exception. For those who don't know by now, the album is about a cancer patient who dies and looks back on his life. The songs all sound really good and well put together. For example, The End. starts off setting the tone for the CD with a heart monitor beeping normally, and the song basically takes you through the patient's final moments alive. After the song, the CD goes straight into Dead! with the heart monitor flatlining, and the CD picksup from there. Every song is really catchy, especially Dead!, House of Wolves, Mama, and Teenagers. MCR takes a step away from their earlier music with ballady songs like I Don't Love You. The CD transitions smoothly between songs, and for those who bought the CD in a store, not downloading it, the "blood" song, as some people call it, finishes off the CD in a sort of sarcastic tone, which is a good ending. The drum lines in the song by Bob Bryar, their former sound guy, are catchy and interesting, especially in House of Wolves. Michael Way does good on bass, but there really isn't much other than rhythm lines though. Ray and Frank totally rip on guitar, especially in solos from songs like Dead! and Welcome To The Black Parade, the bridge riff in Mama, and basically all of Teenagers. Gerard surpasses his old self by far on this CD, which I will explain in the next section. // 10

Lyrics: Gerard's singing on this CD improved tremendously since MCR's second CD, not that he was bad to begin with, but it is no longer just screaming. He does really good on I Don't Love You- the lyrics are downright perfect, and the singing melodies compliment the guitars perfectly. He throws in screaming where needed, and does a good job of it (such as in the Mama bridge). This is probably my favorite CD to sing along to in the car or wherever, so the lyrics are 10 out of 10 hands down. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD is a huge leap for MCR, because they are no longer just blood and screaming. I used to think MCR was really only OK, and probably wouldn't have gotten this CD anyway. Fortunately, I did, and now they are one of my favorite bands. The CD flows perfectly, and is lots of fun to listen to. I'm probably not the only person to start liking this band because of this CD, and no doubt I would have to keep getting if I kept losing it, which probably won't happen anyway since it's usually in the car CD player to begin with. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: newworldpower, on march 05, 2007

Sound: I remember turning on the radio a couple years ago and hearing the harsh sounds of distorted, non-sensical guitars and high pitched wailing. I am referring, of course, to the music of My Chemical Romance's last outing, Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge. I remember the song "Helena" giving me headaches when I heard it. Now it is time for the supposed departure for MCR in the form of The Black Parade. My Chemical Romance has indeed changed their style dramatically, and the results are good for the most part. The CD opens with a building intro that slowly leads to the best song, musically, on the album, "Dead!". While the solos and guitar work are not rocket science, they pay tribute to older, crunchier, and cooler sounds of a few decades past. In fact, listening to a majority of the CD reminded me of past bands that were extremely popular, namely Queen. The single, "The Black Parade", is an attempt to mimick Bohemian Rhapsody, but with shoddy results. The intro is cool, but the rest of the song sounds like old MCR. The Chorus is kinda catchy I guess. While the guitar bits have received a facelift and some of the beats are cool, Way's voice still gets in my skull. It is very high pitched and whiny, and for a band that claims they are not emo, Way is not making a very good point of that.There is one surprisingly awesome song on the album called "Mama", which reminded me of pirate music meets metal meets emo meets cabaret. // 8

Lyrics: I'll give MCR one thing, they certainly don't stray far from one central idea. Death is the recurring theme in this outing, described as The Black Parade. And it is fitting, because Way's shrieking and demonic vocal stylings are definitely something I'd be listening to when I make the trip downstairs. Unfortuantely, in the overall picture, the writing is probably the weakest part of the album. There is a story involved with some guy dying and going to the Black Parade, but the album only follows that plot for about six or so songs before veering off into borderline cheese-fests like "Teenagers". Granted, most of the music, is decent enough, but the lyrics do not help the overall idea. // 5

Overall Impression: Recently, a bulk of bands have been changing their image due to criticism that they are too pop-punk or emo. MCR has joined the bandwagon partially, but don't expect to be absolutely floored by their new direction. Do expect to be pleasantly surprised on a few tracks. When they are doing their old stuff, the results are pretty rancid, but the new, almost '60s rock-esque stuff is bound to please. Obviously, MCR cannot hold a candle to the bands they so blatantly copy, but it is still something different in a sea of new garbage being released. // 7

The Black Parade Reviewed by: |<guitarhero>|, on april 30, 2007

Sound: The sound is simply amazing. I love the guitar licks like in Famous Last Words and the solos like in Dead! I didn't really like the other CD. But one of my decent friends was obsessed with it so I had to listen to it, then when I saw that MCR had released another album I wasn't exactly emphatic. But then I listened to Famous Last Words and right way I loved the CD. I like the straight-up, hard guuitars in the album, Ray does a great job on this album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are much better than Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge. Gerard's lyrics actually mean something but yet they're not like too emotional or poonish. They're just right for a rock band. Once I sat and listened to Welcome to the Black Parade over and over again for almost an hour just listening to the lyrics. I would've been ready to shoot myself if I had to do that for Helena. The lyrics match perfectly with their instruments. And Gerard is, as always, singing great. // 10

Overall Impression: If you're wondering if it compares to other albums, I would say it is better than most albums out right now. This album blew me away the first time I listened to the whole thing. I think the best songs are Famous Last Words, Welcome To The Black Parade, and Dead! I love (I know I've said it like 5 times) the cool guitars and drums in this album. If it were stolen by a gremlin or something, I would immediatly go get it once again. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: Blinkman5, on july 14, 2007

Sound: I have always been very impressed with the sound of this band and now I am even more impressed with the band as they have released an album that furthur emphasizes their sound and style. Their style is very unlimited with the talent demonstrated by the members of the band. The band is a new hit in the emo/rock section of all the music genres. This band is very popular because they are visibly capable of producing great sounding music. // 9

Lyrics: The bands lyrics are mostly very deep and meaningful, you always know that there is a purpose in their songs, maybe a message or a feeling that the artists felt at the time and that they wanted to convey. Their lyrics and music are a perfect match and sound great together. Gerard Way (the lead singer) has demonstrated a very high singing range, the ability to hold notes, and the full capability of conveying a great style and tone. // 9

Overall Impression: They really do compare well to other bandss and are probably considered one of the greatest bands to ever enter the music business. All of their songs are impressive, the singing is impressive, the music is impressive, the talent is unlimited and their ability to write is a perfect. I love the sheer talent and great style that they enforce into their music. I love every song in this album and I could listen to them all over and over again. If this album were stolen from me I would have no choice but to go to the nearest sanity store and get another one. // 9

The Black Parade Reviewed by: fireyqwerty, on august 25, 2007

Sound: Going into this I'm already a superfan when it comes to MCR so your not gonna get a bad review from me. As several others have said this album does have a different sounds from their last two but just like the others it sends out a one two melt-your-face-off death blow of Fantastic lyrics and incredible instrumentals. // 10

Lyrics: As always Gerard delivers all songs with some kind of meaning, in addition you will find the Gerard will often sing in a higher tone then in previous albums but also sings the same punkish tone for songs like House of Wolves and Teenagers. Unlike some of the songs on I bought you my bullets teh lyrics of these songs seem as though the music was made around them and they flow in unison that's close to perfection. // 10

Overall Impression: The album is not like the other it will take time to get used to it, but don't just blow it off the first time you listen, listen to it a couple times and you'll find yourself singing along and headbanging and scrambling for tabs to the songs in no time. My favorite songs from the new album are; Dead! mostly because it's a simple but very fun song to play on bass, This is how I Disappear I can't help but sing this lyrics whenever I hear, next House of Wolves this song is different from any on the album and is just a really incredible experience to listen to, Teenagers this beat will have your head rocking and your foot stomping in no time, Disenchanted this song almost makes you feel like your looking on the past even if you don't now the lyrics it feels nostalgic, finally Famous last words if I ever got the cause to really make music I would ony hope that it was even 1/16 as good as this song. If I lost this disc my life would come to a grinding halt until I got another copy. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: Mcrfan1992, on october 22, 2007

Sound: From MCR's previous albums, I'd Have to say this sounds the best. Gerard's vocals are much stronger and have much more melody to them but then he still keeps the screaming element to give it the right mix. Ray's guitar solos have gotten so more complex than three cheers and bullets mixed together. Frank's power chords have still given the band the heavy old school punk/new alternative sound, yet the sound is so much stronger. Bob's drums fit in to every song perfectly. Mikey's bass playing has become awesome and somehow it seems more in sync with each song. Also, the use of acoustic guitars throughout the album make the record's sound balance a thin line between heavy and smooth. // 10

Lyrics: Gerard Way has been my favorite song writer since 2003 when I discovered MCR and I still feel the same way. After hearing the opening line of The End, my respect for his music became so much stronger. Describing the patient throughout his tragic journey of death and suffering has confused many people but it really does have a message in every song (except for teenagers, which seemed like it didn't belong on the album). The lyrics in The End/Dead!, Teenagers, Famous Last Words, Mama, and House Of Wolves seem to just be so angry, so raw, so strong. Lyrics in Welcome To The Black Parade, Cancer, Sleep, Disenchanted, This Is How I Disappear, The Sharpest Lives, and I Don't Love You have the same effect but without the excessive anger and more of a melodic rythym to them. // 10

Overall Impression: My impression: amazing. If you don't have this album, quit reading this, get in your car, drive to a record shop and buy this CD. It really will change your look on music and make you think about the lyrics in every song you hear. Also, of the subject, but if you have a heart, if you care about people who need help and your willing to give it, or if you are just a good person who loves to make people happy, go visit a children's hospital or a cancer victim or anyone with a problem (emotional, physical, disease, whatever) and just help them. You have no idea how happy it makes someone who is waiting for the answer of life or death, fighting to just live, lying there in a cold hospital room with no visitors to see someone who cares about them, who wants to help, who wants to be their friend. Gerard has influenced me to do this and it makes sense. Many people in hospitals die feeling betrayed and alone because their families or friends don't care about them. That's the meaning behind The Black Parade, that's the real point of MCR: to save lifes or to help. So please, help someone out soon, whether you know them or not. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 29, 2008

Sound: Its clear from the beggining that this album is startlingly different from both previous albums. While they have grown into a different style in every album this amazing jump from emo/pop-punk Three Cheers to rock opera style The Black Parade is simply to be marveled at. They are finally focusing they're efforts on creating soul filled lyrics and sometimes and gentle and sad tune (e.g. Cancer and Sleep, my two favourite tracks)Gerard Way's vocals are much better and the complicated guitar solo's by the talented Ray Toro are very good.The most obvious thing, for good or bad, is Bob Bryar playing drums. No more frantic bashing of the snare drum but an actual beat. There's only one thing I'm in two minds about and that's the basslines. Sometimes I feel the simplicity makes the song much better, sometimes I think Mikey should get up and make some decent basslines. It's clear the boy's got talent but no imagination. // 9

Lyrics: MCR really outdid theirselves this time in the lyrics, cryptic, like all the others but now more understandable, something that some of us can actually relate to. The album is about a cancer patient and looks upon his life in no particular order. Apparently one in three of us will be affected by cancer, whether that means getting it or a loved one dying or getting cancer. Deep. // 10

Overall Impression: It's a great album, really, but I'm sure most MCR haters out there won't change their tune because of one measely album. But, when you look at it and really think hard, you've got to admit, no matter who you are, that MCR can write really good songs. Go out and bye it, it really is worth it. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: MCRrockerrr, on october 30, 2006

Sound: The sound of this album is definatly overwhelming and powerful. Even the slowest, softest songs on the CD like Cancer and I Don't Love You have a unique sound that captivates you and makes want to listen more. Unlike The Black Parade, Three Cheers didn't really have that sort of feeling. Then you go into songs like Dead!, House Of Wolves and Mama that are intense and have a distinct sound that resembles Three Cheers and Bullets. In most of the songs you can understand the story being told of "The Patient" and where his life is at that point. I think their sound was good to begin with, but totally improved by a thousand percent. // 10

Lyrics: Cancer's lyrics are incredible! They are emotional and touch on the subject of cancer maturely. I get choked up everytime I hear them. Also, the way Gerard sings it softly during some parts and then intensly during others is genius, you really get a feel for the song. I think Gerard's voice mixed with the lyrics is awesome. MCR wouldn't be MCR without Gerard's voice. // 9

Overall Impression: My favorite album, my favorite band! The most impressive songs on the album would defiantly be Cancer, Welcome to the Black Parade, Mama, Dead!, and Sleep. I love the thematic elements in the songs. The album has a song for almost every subject and they all make sense! I acually don't hate anything about it. If anyone stole my CD then I would go out and buy a new one, fast, cause I absolutly love this CD. You MUST go buy this CD, it is extremly exceptional! Even if you're not an MCR fan, I assure you that you will be turned into one once you pop this CD into your CD player. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 30, 2006

Sound: I am a big fan of my chemical romance. I've followed since the first. and you can tell from the difference between Bullets and Revenge that the third album is also going to have a different sound. I'm not gonna lie, I was a little dissappointed when I heard "Welcome To The Black Parade" but that may be because I was expecting something similar to Three Cheers, which I shouldn't have done. The band has matured a little more in this album, and the music is very good. But it takes a little getting use to to fully appreciate it's new sound. But I only had to listen to it three times before I was singing along. I like the piano and the guitar. I love how in welcome to the black parade it's like a march. It's very unique. Each song has it's only style too; keeping the album interesting. And it's a concept album, which is hard to do. But it's an awesome album, the music is great. I love how in mama it sounds very old fashion Italian-like. Effing awesome sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are more meaningful, and Gerard's voice goes great with them. And there are rounds and harmonies which sound pretty damn awesome. It's a more realistic album than three cheers, which was very fictional, while this album was based off more real life. And Liza Manelli does the mother war voice in Mama. It's very interesting. There's no insane screaming or anything, which is good. It suits the album greatly. Gerard's voice sounds oh so lovely. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is probably their best album yet. I love everything about it the album. Probably my four favorite songs are Dead!, The Sharpest Lives, House Of Wolves and Mama. I love how in sleep it's got the guy's recording playing about his night terrors. I got the limited edition but I'm gonna buy the regular album just cause I want the case. Go buy it. It's very lovely. I guarantee you'll enjoy it if you're a loyal MCR fan like me. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: pieceofmind128, on november 04, 2006

Sound: It's just what I think of the album, which is what a review is, isn't it. The Black Parade sounds very different from anything the band's ever done before. Gerard actually sings the lyrics and refrains from just yelling out the words (like he did a lot on Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge), Ray can sound like everyone from Kurt Cobain to Dave Murray and has finally started taking more than three or four solos on the whole album, Bob's drumming sounds a lot more complex than before, Frank is (usually) doing more than playing just 4 or 5 power chords per song, and Mikey's playing (however hard it is to hear) is better than before. The band combines a lot of different sounds and musical influences on this album (I.e., "Mama" was influenced by The Doors' "Alabama Song" and in the beginning and interlude in "Welcome to the Black Parade" Ray sounds like Brian May), and no too songs sound alike. Overall, the differing sounds on the album make it an easy listen, although some songs are a bit boring and/or depressing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on the album differ (for the most part) from MCR's previous work. That is to say, they make sense most of the time. There's a lot more story-telling and "getting into character" if you will. Most likely this is just because it's a concept album, but it's a good thing. They do still keep their creativity in the lyrics, with songs like Mama (sounds like a possessed carnival) and Dead, others make use of dark humour (Blood, the hidden track) and the often-depressing lyrics contrast with the upbeat music of most of the songs. Some songs, however, are just too depressing to listen to (i.e. Cancer), and if this weren't an album that's based on a man dying, it would be really obnoxious to listen to (even though it still is and I refuse to listen to the song.) Overall, however, the lyrics have changed a bit for the better from their older stuff and make for an entertaining album. // 9

Overall Impression: After finishing the album, I definitely knew that it wasn't a waste of money (I have burned copies of 3 Cheers and Bullets. Both are sold at least for 15 dollars around here and while both are good, I don't like to spend a lot of money on CDs). The album unfolds and just gets better and better, and while there are a few songs which aren't as easy to listen to (namely I Don't Love You and Cancer), it's a great listen. The energy behind songs like House of Wolves, The Sharpest Lives and Mama complement the more somber tones in songs like Disenchanted, The End, and Sleep. The constant evolution of the story and the different sound of every song make it obvious why it's currently topping god-knows how many charts across the world. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: pexisgr8, on november 10, 2006

Sound: Where can I begin? This album is amazing! I've only heard a couple of songs from 3 cheers but to me this album is totally different. It's got a lot of great solo's and some great riffs and tabs aswell. The guitars and the lyrics make the story the album tells come to life. It's like listening to a great novel! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in the black parade make sense most of the time. They describe a lot of emotions and feelings that the story's cancer patient is feeling. The music and the lyrics go together really well. All the sad and slow songs do make you feel sad. There is a real feel of emotion in the lyrics. In this album Gerard doesn't do any of his mad shouting he did in 3 cheers. Some how I think this is for the better. Overall great lyrics! // 9

Overall Impression: This album sounds totally different to 3 cheers. The band seemed to have matured I suppose and increased their usage of hard guitar. The drums as well to me have become more impressive. Welcome to the black parade is one of the best songs off the album but Dead! and House of wolves are good head banging tracks. The best slower song on the album is Disenchanted. There are a few different styles in this album but they manage to keep te rock there in all the tracks. This album is seriously a must have! It's great! // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: Truth Seeker, on november 24, 2006

Sound: Prior to the release of this album, I had shown no apparent in this band whatsoever. Sure, I had heard "Helena," "The Ghost of You," and the biggie, "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)" on the radio over a thousand times, but, to me My Chemical Romance seemed to be your typical fad band: have a couple of mainstream "hits" and then fade away out of existence. Then, I heard the single, "Welcome To The Black Parade" and I was intrigued, and I immeadiately bought the album that it coincides with. Through telling the story of a dying man, My Chemical Romance delievers the Black Parade with such exuberance, that it at times seems over the top. However, I also adore musicals, and concept albums, so something completely theatrical is completely within my interests, along with things that are seemingly inspired by Pink Floyd. Introductory track, "The End." and the annoying scream-a-long song "Mama" both share this same characteristic, that it is almost scary, as well as obvious. The music itself is trying to be as epic as it possibly can, as it fuses together Queen like guitar riffs, marching bands and your typical pop-punk three chord adrenaline. Although, to many, it may sound like an odd, perhaps terrible combination, My Chemical Romance manages to make it work, and delievers it with superb, catchy style. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrically, it is over-the-top, just as the music itself is. And, that's what they are supposed to do, accentuate, and enhance the music. The two of them fit together reasonably well, and even have choice, quotable lines on occasion; such as "If life ain't just a joke, then why are we laughing?" or in regards to hell, "It's really quite pleasant, except for the smell." The latter of the two just strikes me as funny, but, that's most likely due to a sardonic, and morbid sense of humor. In regards to Gerard Way's singing skills, they are also overly theatrical and melodramatic, just as the music prescribed. Vocally, it is grating, which is perfect for most of the songs on the album. But, not all of them. Softer songs such as "Cancer," it doesn't necessarily coincide with the music as well as it could have. Yet, regardless, for the most part, the vocals are well done. // 7

Overall Impression: Now, as I look back to how I first perceived this band, I'm glad they didn't simply evanesce into the realm of the forgotten "one-hit-wonders." Who knows what would have become of this album? Of all the songs, my personal favorite would have to be "Teenagers," with it's classic rock stylings, and even social commentary. As far as concept albums go, this one has one flaw: the story itself is kind of hard to follow. It is jumbled, and goes from one place to another almost instantaneously. Yet, one must remember that this is about a dying kid, and it's stream-of-conciousness style might be intensify that fact as the memories of the "Patient" come swarming back to him at once. Yet, there's the music to consider. Even if you don't "get" the concepts, the music will leave you pogo dancing at times, while at others, it will leave you in simple silence just listening to it. If it were stolen, I would definitely buy it again. // 9

The Black Parade Reviewed by: rupknock, on november 29, 2006

Sound: This album sounds really different to their first two, it completely took be my surprise. Having listened to their last two albums, I was expecting another emo/punk album like three cheers for sweet revenge. Although it's not that, what it is is spectacular. It would be fair to say that this sounds like Queen and nothing else. They say themseves that they have gone for a stadium sound, and although people have given them stick for it, personally I think it's brilliant. I don't think I can give it a ten, as there are some points that don't quite give it 10, but it's fair to say that this record is better than all their others put together. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics to this album give out some really important messages. You have welcome to the black parade, about never giving up on what you believe, cancer being about the disease in general(it actually made my friend cry), you then have famous last words, telling people how they wont take any shit and once again not giving up on your dreams and then to top it all of you have teenagers, which is not about teenagers in general but chavs, which is a pretty awesome song and the lyrics top it off. I could read the lyrics to this whole album over and over again and never get tired of it. // 10

Overall Impression: It's an awesome album, I think I'm just gonna do the things it tells you to here because I can't think of anything else. I think it compares to other artists extrememly well, I can't say I've really heard anything like it. It's my favourite album for a long while. I think that the best songs from the album would have to be dead, disenchanted, house of wolves, I don't love you and welcome to the black parade. However being a guitar player I really like to play sleep. I love everything about it, there's nothing I don't like, it's that good and finally if it got stolen or lost, I'd re-buy it the next day. // 9

The Black Parade Reviewed by: lespaul56, on december 11, 2006

Sound: Ok, so basically they aren't as "slit my wrists" on this album, but have added some pretty awesome stuff. Number 1, you can definately hear the improvement in guitar. They have tons of awesome riffs and solos, like at the beginning of the track "Dead!" They said that some of their main inspirations for this album were Pink Floyd's "The Wall", The Beatles's "Sargeant Pepper" and Queen's "A Night At The Opera." You can hear all of those things scattered throughout the album in various places. They built the album around this character called "The Patient" who is dying I think of cancer, and death is coming to him in his fondest memory, when his father took him to a parade. So the album is about that and all the people he meets, forming the black parade. It's this huge amazing rock opera from beginning to end. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on the album you can tell are very circled around "The Patient" in everything, but they also get more personal on some of the songs like "The Sharpest Lives" which is somewhat about Gerard's past with alcohol and drug problems, which he has gotten over and has been sober for a while. The lyrics fit together with the music pretty well and it has that opera essence to it that keeps you hooked. Gerard's singing skills have also improved. He can hit some pretty high notes as well as low ones and can change pitches pretty well. // 9

Overall Impression: "The Black Parade" is comparable to a lot of albums, like "American Idiot" which really became a rock opera and "A Night At The Opera." All of the songs were essentially quite impressive. There was only one, "Mama", that I wasn't really impressed with but it was just amazing all together. I love everything about it: the concept, the music, the lyrics, everything. If it was stolen I'd be at the store within hours to buy it again. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 20, 2006

Sound: My Chemical Romance's sound has changed somewhat since the last record, at first I thought it was for the best. Their image as a band however still lingers around the emo outfit even though their sound has changed quite dramatically. When I first listened to the album I was quite shocked at the change, the opening track "The End" is quite a strange affair starting with an acoustic guitar and piano. This carries on to the next track called "Dead" which is one of the better songs on the album. it's the first song on the album that shows shows off the new sound start, with rip roaring guitar riffs and an opening killer solo it seems as though MCR are heading in the right direction. What's quite special is the story behind the album. The idea is that the album is about a boy/man known as "The Patient" who is struck down by the cancer, "The Black Parade". If you've seen the video for WTTBP then this becomes more clear. The album works it's way through the album (in terms of the story) in a similar way to which American Idiot does, however as a concept album it isn't quite as strong as Green Day's efforts. Their sound is already set to change, as the "Black Parade", MCR's musical alter ego was said to be only temporary by the band so they might decide to scrap the Dark Sgt.Peppers costume ect. after another album or so. Overall their sound is a refreshing change from their usual stuff but their american punk-rock roots are still clearly present in this emo opera. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics in "The Black Parade" are generally down beat and depressing however, in songs like WTTBP, Dead! and Famous Last Words they manage to make misery seem enjoyable which is a nice change. We also see a very witty side to Gerrard Way in "Teenagers" as he has a rather amusing rant at as the title suggests, teenagers. Gerrard Way does really push his singing skills to the limit on Famous Last Words and WTTBP, unfortunately this isn't the case for most of the other songs on the album, not a major problem but it could've added more drama to the album. One thing which I really did dislike about his singign though was the very annoying over pronunciation of a lot of words which make him seem like a comedy character at times. The same can be said for Brandon Flowers on his bands new record. Again it's not a major problem but it something that I thought I should point out. // 8

Overall Impression: Essentially, this is a concept album and loathe it or hate it, MCR still manage to create quite a unique sound that's enjoyable and features huge guitar hooks and even bigger solos. When I heard the 1st single off the album WTTBP I didn't think there would be a bigger, better or emotionally chaotic on the album. However after listening to the record I found out that I was wrong, Famous Last Words, the stunning climax is a song of epic proportion and is a great way to finish the album. The bonus track known as "Blood" is a very weird and pointless song to put on the album, a real waste of time. All in all, it's an enjoyable concept album which features a few truly great songs; Dead, Welcome To The Black Parade, Teenagers and Famous Last Words, and unfortunately the rest of the album doesn't really live up to that standard. // 7

The Black Parade Reviewed by: eobsch4279, on december 25, 2006

Sound: This album rocks! My Chemical Romance, the typical emo band, completely changed their sound with this album. "Welcome To The Black Parade" totally put My Chemical Romance on the other side of their music. People can listen to this album without hearing MCR's past sounds. It is completely different. This album will lead this upcoming band into the stardome they deserve. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics, like the sound, has changed alot. They lost their emoness that was exhibited in their past albums. No more death songs. Their lyrics are perfect for the mood they were trying to set for this album. They also go really well with the music and the rhythm. // 9

Overall Impression: The overall impression I have on this album is a good one. MCR has been around for about 6 years. They have had their moments of triumph with their music, but the fame was never that big. Sure they have millions of dollars and billboards are up everywhere portraying their tour, only a select few ever listened to them as regulars. This opininon is contrived from my experience in my cities and friends. This album has put MCR at the top. It has made their music something of a story, a journey. From a emo band in a garage to a multi-million fan based band of great lyrics portraying the life and death journey of our adventours in music. // 9

The Black Parade Reviewed by: darkcontender, on january 04, 2007

Sound: When I first started listening to MCR, I didn't like them much by the music. Sure they were okay, and some of the tracks had really good stuff but I loved them mostly because of the lyrics and stuff. But then when I bought this album, first of all, the sound is just amazing. All of them improved a lot. The guitar solos are crazy. Listening to the solos reminds me of those '80s-'90s rock bands which were totally awesome. The intro on Dead! was really good. I love how the very first track was a little bit slow and somber then when you get to the second track, it was fast and up-beat. That was great. And the piano part on Cancer is just amazing. I know they're not the ones playing it but I'm pretty sure they've all put some of their thoughts and ideas on how they want that part to sound like. I must say though that they need more bass on their songs. I can barely hear it. Anyway, I also love how all the tracks doesn't sound a like. This Is How I Disappear (track 3) and The Sharpest Lives (track 4) kinda sounded similar but the rest are good. // 9

Lyrics: I thought the lyrics were good. Some of them were really deep and some were just pretty much okay. Teenagers is a good song. The lyrics were very straight-forward though. I like it better when they do a little twist on the lyrics making it a little figurative rather than literal. As far as compliance with the music, I'd have to say it was really good. Cancer is an amazing song and the music fit in very well. Singer skills were awesome. I'd have to give Gerard a 10 on that. I love how he puts emotion to the songs. It makes them sound twice better. He's not the best singer I've heard, but I think for this band, he would be the best they could ask for since he totally sings their songs with feeling. // 8

Overall Impression: When I got the record, the illustration just blew me away. It was really nice. And I love how you can get either a black or a white one. The way how the CD was all arranged and stuff was awesome by the way. Like, the way how they put the lyrics on it and stuff. There were a lot of impressive songs on the album. Dead! is a good one. it's just like a totally different MCR. The Sharpest Lives is really amazing too. It gives me this weird chill when I listen to it. Cancer is also good. And I found it really hilarious when they put a hidden track on it that doesn't start till like a minute and a half through the track. What I love about this record is how they all improved. The music and vocals were so much better than the last one. What I hated was the lack of bass. If it was lost or stolen, I probably wouldn't get another one. Simply because I have two copies. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: squizzlepants, on january 22, 2007

Sound: The Black Parade shows MCR flinging themselves into a strange spin-off of psychobilly, convincing a lot of prejudiced rock fans that they are in fact quite different to the emo bands with whom they write, develop and perform alongside. Their quirky side shows through more than ever after desperately trying to reveal itself ever since 'Headfirst for Halos.' The album compiles a balance of fun, upbeat songs such as 'Teenagers, ' to heartfelt ballads (see 'I Don't Love You.') all with the underlying sinister tones that can only be found in a My Chemical Romance album. MCR have come a long way from their mash of whining and screeching sounds heard on 'I Brought You My Bullets...' // 9

Lyrics: Undoubtedly Ray Toro's soaring solos leave you in some sense of awe after listening, though the same C# minor chord sequence drones in almost every chorus cause the less patient of us to get bored and skip on. Tracks such as 'The Sharpest Lives' and 'Sleep' fade into an indistinguishable noise of down-up-down-up strumming and Gerard's gravelly yelling. Their intros, however, remain at their most innovative, combining rockabilly, metal, the blues and even a polka into some strange mixture of alternative rock that would be insane to class as emo. Gerard's lyrics have never been poetic, but 'The Black Parade' shows his writing at its quaintest yet, and whist the lyrics themselves may not be something terribly special in every song, even the plainest lines like 'I don't love you like I did yesterday' ('I Don't Love You') are made so much more powerful when belted out to a classic rock love-song tune. Gerard's voice had matured; tuneless wailing replaced by lung-collapsing, gritty shouting and other impressive vocal techniques that seem to last a whole outro (see 'Mama'). // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to the emo scene at the moment, MCR seem to be the first to realise that originality is the key to a good record. The one thing, however, that really annoys me is the horrible dischord in 'The End' at about 56 seconds in. If deliberate, for me, they did not pull that off. On the overall mood of the album, I only have one thing to say, and it's 'lighten up.' The fixation with death does seem a bit dark, but then, it is My Chemical Romance. I'll rate it at a 9 for the boring tracks, but no one's going to like everything on the album. But if you don't like 'Mama,' you've got problems. // 9

The Black Parade Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 27, 2007

Sound: On this CD the sound differs from their first two drastically. The guitars sound more like rock instead of the wierd finger picking and hammer ons they used on three cheers for sweet revenge. Ray and frank did some crazy solos on this CD and that's probably the first thing that struck me. The song Dead! really surprised me because I didn't see my chem doing anything like that on three cheers for sweet revenge. Bob Bryar definetly improved on his drums and threw in some crazy fillsalong wiht a really cool jazz-type beat on "house of wolves". Mikey seemed a little bit up staged by the big thatrics of frank and ray. There's no true bass solos on this cd. Gerard Way blew my mind out on this album. There's harmonies stacked to eternity and it's not like he just went in the studio and made up the notes. They seemed carefully planned like on "The Sharpest Lives" where he whispers then goes into a two part harmony. Overall the sound is more theatrical and arena ready then the first two albums. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this are way better. They have a meaning to them or are just really cool. On Dead! in the end he's singing la la la la la but in the background he says "If love is just a joke then why are we living." The lyrics are really cool over all, especially on emotional tracks liek "Cancer" and "Mama" when he gets into them and you can feel how much his mom hates him. And on "Famous Last Words" when they sing about living on and never giving up, they have a messageg unlike three cheers when they tlak about kisses from serpents and bloody swords. Overall they're perfect. // 10

Overall Impression: I was blown away by this album and quickly it turned into one of my favorite cds. The best tracks I think are "Dead!" "This Is How I Dissappear", "Welcome To The Black Parade," "Hous Of Wolves," "Sleep" and "Famous Last Words". If someone jacked me up and took my compact disc I would buy about 5 more copies just to make sure I never go without having one. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: BassIsLove, on february 07, 2007

Sound: The Black Parade's sound completly blew me away. The whole concept of the album went perfectly with everything. Gerard, the lead singer, says he got the concept of the album from something that he believes. He thinks that when you die, you live your death through one of your most fondest memories, and in this case the paitent's memory was when his dad took him to see a parade, so he lives death through a parade. The paitent dies tragically of cancer and lives his death through a parade. The sound has everything from horns, to snare drums, and a piano, which is something that you wouldn't expect from this band. // 10

Lyrics: Everything ties in to the concept of the album. "The End." which is the begining of the album basically tells you what's going to happen, "So come on, come all, to this tragic affair". "Dead!" the second song is telling you that he's going to die, because right before the solo you hear him singing, "there's a complication with your heart, maybe just 2 weeks to live" after Dead! the other songs are "this is how I disappear", and "the sharpest lives", the song after those is "Welcome to the Black Parade" which is the first single of this album. Basically this sums up the entire album. Another good song is "Cancer" which has the piano in it. It's a sad song, but it shows how much My Chemcial Romance has risked in this album. The final song is "Famous Last Words" this song isnt about death though, it tells people to keep on living. Overall, Gerard's voice is a lot better in this album. Especially beucause he doesn't scream as much. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is compared to Pink Floyd's "The Wall", The Beetles "Sargent Peppers", and even the band, Queen. The best songs from the album are Dead!, Welcome To The Black Parade, House Of Wolves, Cancer, Disenchanted, and Famous Last Words. But, I recommend that you buy the whole album instead of buying a couple songs on Itunes. This is a memorable album that will probally be talked about for years. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: autistic_spider, on february 10, 2007

Sound: I thought the sound of the band was amazing. The music was real unique and sounded different than anything I had ever heard before. It was great! The style of the music was good as well. It was really different and changed from song to song so there is no way to get bored listening. There is like House Of Wolves that has a sort of snazzy feel but then there is Mama which has sort of a Carnival feel. Welcome to the Black Parade is a march and Cancer is slow and pretty. The story of the album was good as well. I liked how they wrote each song with them telling a different part of the story. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are written well. They aren't OMG but the are really good. Welcome To The Black Parade is great. Cancer is my favorite song though. Not in music but in lyrics. it's so sad but meaningful and just wonderful. It makes you think about what he is going through. The lyrics express the story in a great way. They are really good. // 9

Overall Impression: It doesn't really compare to anyother albums. It's original. It's My Chemical Romance. The most impressive song on the album lyrically would be cancer. It's just so sad but it's a great song. I love about everything on the album. The lyrics, music, Gerard's voice, the guitar parts. It's all great. The only song I don't like on the album is I Don't Love You. I just don't think it compares to the other songs on the album. This album could not be stolen given that I bought it off iTunes but I would buy it again if somehow it did. // 9

The Black Parade Reviewed by: Arlabester, on february 12, 2007

Sound: The sound of these guys has just become amazing. To be honost, Three Cheers sucked. All they used was distortion on top of distortion, and it gave us a buzzsaw effect. This is over. They have been using acoustic guitars, lighter distortion, and evan, clean effects. They have really cleaned it up. // 9

Lyrics: I like the lyrics. For this album, they seem to be moving away from the geekier fake emo stuff, as heard on "I Never Told You What I do For a Living". It's more about real life stuff. Probably the biggest line that hit me was "If you look in the mirror and don't like what you see, you can find out first hand what it's like to be me". That just struck me. Gerard's voice has also come a long way. From being addicted to crack, and pills, and booze, his voice just sucked. He cleaned that up, he can hit highs, and keep it in tune, even live he can do better. Well done. // 9

Overall Impression: Very good album. One of my tops of all time. The only album this compares to from MCR is Bullets. I don't think this sounds like typical MCR. It is much better. The only thing I don't like about it, is it can get old fast. Once you hear "Dead!" you know everything is coming, so you know. I would definatly buy this album if it was lost or stolen. One of the best in 2006. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 01, 2007

Sound: Musically the album is softer and less grungy. it's still has it agressive punk/emo riffs but each song fits in a classic rock touch. Songs like Black Parade, Famous Last Words, Dead, and House Of Wolves show a great influnce of Queen, David Bowie, Ziggy Startdust, and many other classic rock heros. What I insist you do go to my chemical romance.com see if they are coming to your town if so buy tickets then run out and buy the album. // 8

Lyrics: Each of their albums reflect on what was going on in their life but this one was so powerful and wouyld be amazing live. This albums I think represents thier recovery from drugs, alohol, and depression. Still speaks of death and dark themes yet in a way that makes you think deeper into he concept. It talks about it in a very deep and mature manner. The song Famous Last Words lyrics make the album a four star hit. 'I am not afraid to keep on living, I am not afraid to walk this world alone, Nothing you can say will stop me going on' those 26 words sum up the whole album the fact that they werent going to give up and let depression and drugs ruin their life, just gives a cent of hope to their old fans. Giving a message like this shows so much more than the regualr anti bush fab. // 10

Overall Impression: This album was amazing. It takes living legends and Rob Cavalo to create and album like this, I say it's the best album since American Idoit. It's punk that stays away from politics. Alternative, hardcore, punk, emo, screamo, indie fans they will all love it ther is something in it for everybody and that's the type of album that reaches 10. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: Mr. Talent, on march 13, 2007

Sound: Wow, if you have heard any old MCR albums and liked them I hate to say it but you might not like this album. That is the only problem that I could think of for this album. I liked the old albums but I think this is a huge improvement. This may be what some people describe as selling-out but this is what I call growing-up. Gerard's vocals have improved very much and Ray has at least one riff in every song that made me want to come to this site and learn how to play it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are a big improvement, just like every other aspect of the album. The album is about a man who is dying, or already died of cancer. It's kind of confusing but the lyrics work very well with this rock opera. Mama is the only song that I found the lyrics to be confusing, but the song itself makes up for it. // 9

Overall Impression: 01. The End - pretty damn good, I kind of wish that this song was longer one of the songs that really stuck out for me! 02. Dead! - starts off with a nice solo and the vocals are catchy, a little overkill with the "lalalala" part, but good. 03. This Is How I Disappear - this song is incredible, whenever I put this CD in, I need to listen to this song and then start from the beginning. Amazing! 04. The Sharpest Lives - a good song but definately not one of my favorites. 05. Welcome To The Black Parade - I know, everyone has told me, "It is played out." I don't think so one bit, this song is quality and I don't think having it on MTV and the radio could ruin it. 06. I Don't Love You - the next single, and I think it's a good choice. This song is beautiful and I love the guitar intro. There are many parts of this song that mankes me rewind and listen to them over and over again. 07. House Of Wolves - despite the fact that I love this song, it is my least favorite of the original tracks. Sounds too 80's metalish for me. 08. Cancer - there was like a week when I had this album that this was the only song that I would listen to. Perfect example of the grown up MCR. 09. Mama - great. I have no way to explain this song. If you haven't heard it go find a way to, right now! It's crazy. My favorite part is in the second verse during the "I shouldve been a better son" part. It's different but in a good way! 10. Sleep - effing awesome! It seems so dark to me. Kind of reminescent of "Spiders" by SOAD. The pre-chorus is awesome! 11. Teenagers - the first song I fell in love with on this album. I love when he shouts "All Together Now!" Another great song! 12. Disenchanted - I'm listening to this song right now and it is currently my favorite on the album, (tied with "This Is How I Disappear") This song could make me cry given the right time. I love it! 13. Famous Last Words - great ending to the album! Has to be one of my favorites. Awesome guitar and vocal work. I love how they go together. I could listen to this song all day! 14. Blood - well, I think they shouldve just ended with Famous Last Words. The only downer to the album, thank God it's just a hidden track. Well I bet MCR wouldn't actually make it a real song. It's funny though. // 9

The Black Parade Reviewed by: eddna3, on march 13, 2007

Sound: The CD's sounds are amazing. It starts off ona good note as the first two songs on the CD, "The End" and "Dead!", seem to mix into each other with the overall sound of them sort of oldschool, especially the guitars, played by Frank Iero and Ray Toro, along with the bass, played by Mikey Way on "Dead!", which seem to sound a lot like Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody". On the soing This Is How I Disappear, the guitars manage to maintain a catchy beat that seems to flow perfectly with singer Gerard Way's voice. On "The Sharpest Lives", the simple guitars and drums yet again go along pefectly with Way's voice. It even has a pretty good shred guitar solo, which isn't usually MCR's style. The of course, after that comes "Welcome to the Black Parade", which is one of the best put together songs on the album. It starts off with Way and a piano, and moves quickly into a very upbeat song, ending on a high note, with a parade-like finish. The next song, " I Don't Love You" is one of the songs on the CD made more for Gerard's singing. It still has a pretty catchy beat, though, mostly thanks to the guitar solo, and vocal solo, towards the end of the song. The track after that, "House Of Wolves", is Bob Bryars turn to shine, with probably the best drum solo on the CD. It helps maintain the oldschool style of the CD with the sound of Toro and Way switching off from guitars to vocals at one point of the song. After that comes the slowest song on the CD, Cancer. With the piano, drums, and distant strings in the background, it almost sounds like a pop song with Ray Toro as backup vocals. Then it's time for "Mama", with Liza Minneli, who has her one part, at which Gerard Way shouts back quick obcenities, and then does a duet with her. This song has pretty good guitars at some points, and if you listen closely to the chorus, you can hear Toro going "La la la la la", which is pretty funny, along with Minelli sobbing at the very end. After "Mama", comes the song "Sleep, which is mainly good for the instruments towards the beginning and the end. The strange voice at some parts of it adds a sense of weirdness to the song, which paves the way for "Teenagers, which has plenty of cussing uin sort of a funny way throughout the chorus.The guitars in the solo along with the drums definitley make it oldschool."Disenchanted", which has exeptional guitars, both electric and acoustic is very easy to play, but still sounds good. It definitely shows that Ray Toro can play on any type of guitar. After this is the crazy "Famous Last Words", with it's dark sound, and electrifying guitar solo. Finally, comes the hidden track, "Blood". This song is more of a joke than anything, as it sounds like a puppet show, but a good one. Overall, the Black Parade has an amazing sound to it. // 10

Lyrics: After witnessing the attack on the Twin Towers, Gerard Way based this whole album on death, along with the "bodies in the street in "Welcome To the Black Parade". The album is about a Cancer victim who is dying in the first song, and is dead by the second. Way also wrote the most emotional song he's ever written through "Cancer", and writes about not caring about sins or forgiveness in "House Of Wolves", and "I Don't Love You". Some songs have a sense of humor in their lyrics, such as "Blood", and "Teenagers". In all of the songs, the words fit in right along with the music, andf Gerard's voice is amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: This album could go along in history as one of the greatest ever, and definetley is the best of 2006. All the songs are great, and the addition of Bob Bryar was a good one. Liza Minelli didd her job good, and the entire album was worth an 11 out of 10. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 26, 2007

Sound: Unbelievable. Honestly, I bought this album because Rolling Stone told me that it was the best '70s album made today, so I thought I'd check it out and was blown away. I liked some songs off of "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge" but that was because they were slightly catchy, these songs are full blown classics. The guitar players are perfect they have perfect rock solos for the flow of the songs. Like pianos, horns, multiple guitars and big sound really make you smile at how well so much noise goes to together like PB & J. It's wonderful and very pleasing to see how far a bunch of emo/comic book nerds can go. // 10

Lyrics: They're very well written and go along with the songs well, but I find Gerald Way sings too much about blood. Let's be honest here, who can see any member of My Chemical Romance killing someone? However, the lyrics aren't wussy at all and his voice echos and adds harmonies at the right times. The octaves he reaches are incredible and he deserves a huge thanks for this albums sound. // 9

Overall Impression: Blown away. I'd say if it had more songs it would be an easy choice for Album of the Year. It covers everything and every musical corner of rock. My dad who is a huge Zeppelin, The Who, Rolling Stone fan really loves this album. It really compliments the old artists like David Bowie and the like and it really can be put on in any mood or gathering. I'd recommend buying/borrowing/burning/copying/stealing this CD as soon as possible. I used to be embaressed when my friends caught me listening to old My Chemical Romance, not anymore, this is sick. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 05, 2007

Sound: Ok so I will be the first to admit, I absolutely hate emo. Whining in music can only get you so far. So needless to say, I was fairly hesitant to pick this album up. I finally decided to grab it last month, and man, I'm glad I did. The guitar harmonies, subtle-yet-fantastic bass work, incredibly timed drum work, and Gerard Way finally singing to his true ability combine to make this album truly a sum of it's parts. Not to mention a fantastic record. // 9

Lyrics: Now THIS is where the album shines to me. Honestly, many good bands have fallen into the dangerous trap of politics in the last few years, with few coming out unscathed. Green Day's "American Idiot" is one example of how it can be done right, while countless others stand as examples of how not to do it. What grabs me in regards to "The Black Parade" is how effortlessly Gerard Way weaves his view on war (not necessarily the current war, just war in general) into the narrative of "The Patient." Combine that with tracks like the you-have-to-hear-it "Blood," the ridiculously catchy "Teenagers," and the "Corpse Bride"-esqe "House of Wolves" show the lyrical and vocal ranges of Way. Fantastic. // 9

Overall Impression: To understand why I love this album, it must be known that the first album I ever owned was Pink Floyd's "The Wall." It almost seems like My Chemical Romance took that basic blueprint (alienation, father gone, overbearing mother, etc.) and updated it for the new millenium. Ever since "Tommy," many bands have tried to throw together a concept album by throwing ideas against a wall and trying to make them stick. "The Black Parade" doesn't fall into that trap, making a nice over-arching narrative that ties into so many of todays issues. Hey, if this album can finally overthrow Tool's "Aenima" in my CD player, it must be pretty good. // 9

The Black Parade Reviewed by: Rage`, on april 09, 2007

Sound: My Chemical Romance (Vocalist Gerard Way, Lead Guitarist Ray Toro, Rythem Guitarist Frank Iero, Bassist Mikey Way, and Drummer Bob Bryar) got their start with "I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love", which was a fantastic example of screamo at it's absolute best. From Ray's simple but satisfying riffs, to Gerard's moody and melodramatic vocal delivery. It was a fantastic album which got me interested in the band. And you could understand my excitement when I heard of the upcoming "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge". But alas, when I bought it and listened, it was not the My Chem that I had fallen in love with. It was poppy, uninteresting, and bland. Sans two songs, it was horrible. I of course turned on my once favorite band and vowed never to buy another of their albums again. However, upon it's release I began to hear good things about "The Black Parade". I researched it, and found the symbolism to be pretty interesting. So, I decided, "Hey, it's only $20" And Bought it. From the second the acoustic guitar kicked in I was surprised. I didn't expect an opener like this, and it was a pleasant surprise. The Gerard chimed in with his ever so memorable vocals, singing the average My Chem lyrics. In fact, that's one of the only complaints I have about this album. While some songs have absolutely amazing lyrics, others fall short in that department. What I can promise you, though, is that anyone can find something to like in the album. From it's moments of absolute hard rock in songs like "Dead!", "House of Wolves", and the lightly comedic "Teenagers". To the softer and more ballad-like sound of "I Don't Love You". And the extremely soft "Cancer" to give you a rest from the rocking. All in all, it sounds like nothing you'd expect from My Chemical Romance. And that is the beauty part; It's refreshing. // 8

Lyrics: This album features some of the strongest musicianship, with Ray Toro embracing his inner guitar god with amazing solos that leave you saying "Dude, is this still My Chemical Romance?" But Gerard must get credit for his intense and emotional vocal delivery, and his melodramatic lyrics which pull you into the story to start, and will quickly suck you back in when you start to get bored of it. Below is a breakdown of all the songs, music and lyrics. 01. The End - begins with the sound of a heart monitor, echoing the character of the patient. It serves more as an introduction than a real part of the story, and it does do a good job of getting you into the story. The Music is surprising for My Chem, sporting an acoustic intro along with Gerard's flawless vocals, which then explodes in a flurry of sound featuring a riff that reminds me of Pink Floyd's "In the Flesh?". Then quieting down again only to blow you away again. 02. Dead! - starts off with a decent riff, which leads into a blistering solo from Ray which absolutely left me amazed. It then breaks down into a fairly average verse, and then into a chorus that just downright makes you want to sing along. Then Ray goes into another solo that yet again amazed me. This song is a prime example of how he has grown as a guitarist. It then ends with a series "Laa's" which yet again makes you want to sing along. The lyrics give the hint of someone who is already dead and seems to dislike the patient ("If you get to heaven, I'll be here waiting"). All in all, it's a great song. 03. This Is How I Disappear - this song just doesn't impress me. The music was mediocre, as were the lyrics. In my opinion, it's the worst song on the album. As I said, the music was mediocre at best, and I only really liked the bridge riff. The lyrics seem to have something to do with a conversation between the patient and his significant other. But I can't tell much more. 04. The Sharpest Lives - this song isn't that good, but it's not bad either. I hate the intro, and don't really know what the lyrics have to do with the story. The verse is just like the intro, which I dislike. But the chorus is great, which brings up the song's stock for me. There's a nice bridge, which also makes it better. 05. Welcome To The Black Parade - this song has a simple piano intro with Gerard's yet again amazing vocals. The lyrics are very good in this song, detailing the reason why death comes to the patient as a "Black Parade". This video to the song shows him seeing the Black Parade, which doesn't make much sense since you can clearly see that he lives for several more songs. However, this could possibly be a hallucination. The song also features an opening guitar solo that reminds me a lot of Queen. And being a fan of Brain May, I won't argue with that. It than goes into a rocking verse, featuring more great lyrics. And then an anthem of a chorus. It features another heavily Queen influenced solo. But Gerard sings over it, which is annoying and ruins it for me. But overall, it's a good song. 06. I Don't Love You - it opens with a nice riff, and from the start you can tell it's a ballad. But It's a very strong ballad, featuring some of Gerard's best vocals. The chorus is great, and it features a pretty good solo. The lyrics seem to be telling of the patient's significant other leaving him ("When you go, would you have the guts to say 'I don't love you like I did yesterday'?"). It's a grade-A ballad. 07. House Of Wolves - it opens in a flurry of guitar, which can easily get you headbanging. The verse features some pretty good vocals by Gerard, and finally you feel Bob's presence. The drumming on this song is it's highest point. The chorus is yet another great part to the song, which makes you wish there was a mosh pit to jump into. And then the bridge features some great vocal delivery and a good heavy riff, yet again getting you pumped before the chorus starts. But Gerard yet again feels the need to sing over one of Ray's best solos. I really wish he's shut up sometimes. 08. Cancer - one word: depressing. This song makes you want to throw on some eyeliner and sulk in Hot Topic. Not cool. But all in all, it's a beautiful song with amazing lyrics and vocal delivery. The lyrics obviously focus of on the patient, his health obviously declining. Some how, this is being said to his significant other. Which makes no sense, since she left him two songs back. But hey, oh well. 09. Mama - I don't like the song much, since it features what I see as Gerard's worst vocals since "I'm Not Okay". He sounds like a creepy baby doll from hell during the verses. The chorus is decent, and just about everything other than the verse is good. It features a small part sung by Liza Minnelli, which is interesting. The lyrics tell of a conversation between the patient and his mother. And it's safe to say they don't have the best mother-son relationship. 10. Sleep - the opening is interesting. Then some fantastic guitar work suddenly kicks in. But I found it too short, as it was quickly interrupted by Gerard. But his vocals are good on this track, so it's forgivable. All the musicians are clearly giving it all on this song, which makes it all the better. Judging by the lyrics, I'd say the patient has done some regrettable things in his past. But he doesn't seem to regret them. 11. Teenagers - this is my favorite song on the album. The guitar work is on par with Toro's new godliness. And Gerard is at his best. The chorus gives me a laugh every time I hear it. The song has nothing to do with the story, however. It was written when Gerard had to ride the subway to the studio every day. And well, they scared the living shit out of him. And thus we get "Teenagers scare the living shit out of me". I give this song a perfect 10/10, as it is easily the best on the album. 12. Disenchanted - it starts with acoustic guitar and Gerard's amazing vocals. Then busts into a decent rock song. The lyrics are what shine on this song. Absolutely impeccable. I'm amazed at Gerard's ability to write heartfelt and touching lyrics, while still keeping to his concept. This song is an amazing example of Gerard growing as a songwriter. 13. Famous Last Words - this is my second favorite on the album, mostly because of Ray's great riffs. From the intro, to the verse, to the chorus. It's all amazing. Gerard gives another great performance vocally and lyrically. It ends the album on a happier tone than you'd expect for My Chem. I'm not exactly sure if the patient dies, but I don't think so. The line "I am not afraid to keep on living" tells me that. 14. Blood - there's not really that much I can say about this song, other than it's entertaining. I don't know, maybe it's just me but I find the lyrics to be funny. All in all, not too special though. // 9

Overall Impression: This album a big departure from their original style. But that is a good thing. This album is much better than Three Cheers, but still falls a little short of Bullets. I must say though, they have redeemed themselves. And that's all that matters. With songs like "Dead!", "Teenagers", and "Famous Last Words", it's pretty hard to go wrong. Those three songs alone are worth the $20 I spent. Nearly all the songs are strong in their own way, so I expect this album to be considered a classic 20 years from now. And when it is, I'll proudly whip out my CD and brag about having one of the originals. My only complaints would be that while on some songs the lyrics are amazing, on others they are sub par. Which really brings some of the songs down. And second, Gerard has a tendency to sing over a couple of the solos. He should have just kept quiet and let the solo speak for itself. But in the end, this album will hook you in from the first notes of "The End" to the last note of "Famous Last Words". No matter who you are, you'll find something to like. This is a great album, and if it were stolen I'd buy it again. And then I'd hunt down and kill the guy who stole it. I would definitely recommend this album to fans and haters alike. Because I know several people who used to hate them, but are now fans because of this album. All I can say is, at least give it a chance. // 8

The Black Parade Reviewed by: CAT666, on april 12, 2007

Sound: The sound of My chemical Romance changed a lot since 'Three cheers for sweet revenge'. Maybe because they invented 'The Black Parade' as their alter ego or maybe just because they tried some new things and used other instruments and influences like Queen. They still have a typical sound, not just because of Gerard Ways voice. If you know older songs you will notice, that this album is more pop than the old ones. But that's not bad in any way! This record is a musical journey through Rock'n Roll, pop, punk and many other kinds of music with the typical i-point given by My chemical Romance. // 9

Lyrics: Gerard Way sings a lot better since he's gotten clean and sober in August 2004. The lyrics of 'Three cheers for sweet revenge' were very metaphorical. On 'The black Parade' they're very direct and outspoken. Maybe thought "the band that wants to save your life" that many people didn't understand their songs and felt to make them more direct. Anyway they're still brilliant, even if you sometimes just think "wtf?" Gerard Way did a great job! // 9

Overall Impression: You can't compare this album to any other. The story it tells with the vision the band hasand the theatrical point of it makes you just sing along. You completely feel with it, no matter if it's joy or sorrow. It's hard to tell what's the best song, because their all so amazing! One time you feel like "Oh I love 'I don't love you'" and then you listen to another song of this record and fall in love with this one. The album brings something new everytime you listen, so it never gets boring and it will be played non-stop. I would buy it everytime again without thinking and I want to recommend it to everyone who likes good music! // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 19, 2007

Sound: Where to start with an album as unbelievable as this? Personally this album was a surprise to me as before albums lik Bullets and Three Cheers weren't as emotional or deep as this album goes. The band has grown up and matured so much since the Three Cheers albums. Gerard's voice had become more controlled and puts this to excellent use on this album. Also the guitars have improved so much with at least one riff in every song making you wish you had made it first. The guitar's also have a cleaner and sharper sound and edge to them that was missing from previous albums. Also the lyrics on this album are amazing. From writing hard rock anthems like Welcome To The Black Parade and Famous Last Words they went on to write wonderfully amotionally charged songs with a deeper meaning to them like Cancer and Disenchanted that was mising from previous albums. Many albums have had 10 out of 10 used without them being truly up to the standard but this album is truly that good. Also the album theme of a cancer patient being close to death going over hs life and thinking of some of the decisions he has made is an excellent idea that works so wel on this album with this band beacause not many(if any)other bands could have worked this album so well. However the only slight downfall is the inclusion of the track Blood. Although the song is a funny, quirky little number the album really should have ended with Famous Last Words so we should be thankfull it is a hidden track. Overall in my opinion it would be a huge improvement on their previous albums and their greatest work to date. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are certainly deeper and with more emotion and feeling. It also seems that just by listening a lot more work has been put into the lyrics and sound of this album.T he lyrics on the track Cancer are so moving and really show the band's maturity as this track should go down as one of the greatest songs of all time. Even the lyrics on tracks lik Welcome To The Black Parade just work so well with the music and it just clicks into place for a truly awesome album. Even lyrics on some not so well known tracks are an example of the band's newfound look. The line in Disenchanted "we watched our lives on the screen, I hate the ending myself but it started with an alright scene" prove the band's quality. Truly inspiring. // 9

Overall Impression: The End:A wonderful way to kick off the album with a song that just rocks and the heart rate monitor at the beginning adds to the class. This album is without doubt the album of the year and it should stand proudly on your shelf alongside the classic rock albums such as AC/DC Back In Black, Guns N' Roses Appetite For Destruction and Metallica The Black Album. And it deserves it. // 9

The Black Parade Reviewed by: riotrocker769, on april 19, 2007

Sound: First off the sound got so much better especially the guitarists. There are some pretty good solos throughout the CD, too. The CD almost didn't make it. This shows in "Welcome to the Black Parade" which was originally supposed to be called "The Five of Us Are Dying." Mikey Way became severely depressed after his father's nonfatal heart attack. The band also decided to record in a "haunted" house and when Mikey got there he just didn't thimnk he would make it out of there. Frank Iero was writing probably the most dynamic song on the album "Famous Last Words" when Gerard Way came down and saw it he just felt totally diisapointed and the Black PArade lived. The Balck PArade is also about a Patient that Gerard says is him in some way (that's why he cut his hair for, as he says for a deathly I'll effect). The Patient gets a glimpse at death and regrets all of the things he never did and how he wasted his life and decides to live again. My Chemical Romance also actually has a lot of pianos some hidden som just out there. There is also some acoustic too! // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics for the songs are better than any other My Chemical Romance album. You can tell how much they have matured, going from a bad breakup, to avenigng ghosts, and now living you rlife the way you want to. Gerard is a good singer and it shows on the album especially in Cancer. // 10

Overall Impression: The bext song on this album is Famous Last words it's just so inspiring. Dead and The End are the first songs and they are My Chemical Romance resigning from the're old selfs and living their lives. The Sharpest Lives is about Gerard and Bert McCkracken's (frontman of the Used) relationship and their falling out. Cnacer is all about the Patient and it's pretty obvious if you listen to lyrics. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: I Walk Alone, on may 07, 2007

Sound: The Black Parade has by far the best sound out of all of the My Chemical Romance albums. Gerard's voice sounds much more developed and the band's chemistry rings out a lot more. Just about every song on the album is great, with only a few flaws sticking out. 01. The End - a cool start to the album with the epic "Now come one, come all to this tragic affair". A pretty good song, could be longer. 02. Dead! - one of my favorites. Comes straight in where The End left off. A bizarrely happy song about death with great solos. 03. This Is How I Disappear - the beginning is a bit boring but the overall song is awesome. It took me a while to like this song but after a while it rubbed off on me. 04. The Sharpest Lives - like This Is How I Disappear, this song has a boring beginning, but contains an epic chorus and an amazing second verse, along with a really messed up bridge that sounds pretty cool. 05. Welcome To The Black Parade - the worst song on the album, but that isn't saying much, considering it's still a good song. Awesome guitar solos, catchy piano intro, lyrics aren't great but have a pretty cool meaning. 06. I Don't Love You - a great song when you just want to mellow out. Soft yet amazing. 07. House Of Wolves - another one of the best songs on the album. It reminds me of "You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison" off of the Three Cheers album. Great beginning, great middle, great end, near perfect song. 08. Cancer - this song also took a bit to grow on me, but is a great song, short as it is. A very depressing song. 09. Mama - the best song on the album. A very catchy, italian sounding song. The lyrics are still ringing in my head from when I saw them live a few weeks ago. Their best song yet. 10. Sleep - a pretty good song with a strange intro. The song reaches out to me for some reason. It's hard to say much more about it. 11. Teenagers - my second favorite on the album. Such a catchy song, it reminds me a lot of me and my friends. You really have to hear it to understand what I mean. 12. Disenchanted - this song is really powerful in my eyes, even though it starts with that annoying intro. The song is basically a dying man looking at his life from beginning to end. One of the best. 13. Famous Last Words - this is a great song even after being overplayed on the radio. One of MCR's best. 14. Blood (hidden track) - cracks me up. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were amazing. I could really feel what Gerard Way was trying to express through this album. His concept of a dying man with cancer helped make the album what it is. Unlike Three Cheers, which in some songs sounded way too much like he was just whining, The Black Parade adds a new label to MCR that improves it's status fron a mainstream emo band to a rising power in the music industry. // 10

Overall Impression: This is by far the best album MCR has put out. Everything about this album says "Platinum". All of the members of MCR have put in so much energy to this album that they lacked in the past that it has become near a masterpiece. The best songs are Mama, Teenagers, House Of Wolves, Disenchanted, Dead!, and Famous Last Words. The only thing I find wrong with this album is the fact that Welcome To The Black Parade was overplayed which ruined the quality of the song in the long run. If the album was stolen, I wouldn't complain because I have it on a USB drive. Don't ask why. I can't wait to see what MCR has in store next. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: LoveMCR, on may 11, 2007

Sound: The band's sound definetly got less depressing from the last album. 'Revenge' was pretty much a dark album riding on drugs and beer, but this album really tried to inspire people. The band does not promote death in any way, but it seems anyone who does not know the band that well will think so. The songs are about dealing with death, and getting over it, about getting help if you're thinking about committing suicide. Once said by Frank Iero, 'We are definetly a band that wants to save your life.' // 10

Lyrics: Some of the lyrics seemed dark, but 'Cancer' was actually really depressing and to this day still makes me cry when I hear it. I think Gerard did an outstanding job on the lyrics. The lyrics and the music seem to work so well with each other, it's almost like it's one instrument. The lyrics and the music go along so well, I don't think they could get any better. Gerard did an amazing job with the vocals on this record, his voice definetly improved since 'Revenge'. // 10

Overall Impression: My Chemical Romance does not really sound like any other band I have heard, even though I know there must be bands out there like MCR. Many bands have the same feel, but none really compare with MCR. Cancer and WTTBP are definetly impressive songs from the album. Cancer is about the disease and when Gerard sings it live, no doubt, does he put so much emotion in it, it makes half of the audience emit tears. I think every song on this ablum made a signifigant impact on me, as each one reaches a different part of my being. I love this album (and the band) with all of my heart, and If it got stolen I would definetly buy another one even though it is on my computer. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: d00diseeyou, on june 29, 2007

Sound: This might seem like another boring My Chemical Romance review. Well it might be, but this review looks at the album almost nine months since it was released. The Black Parade is My Chemical Romance's third studio effort, and at first glance, it seems amazing, with exceptional effort put into its production, but is it still something you want to listen to a year or more later? // 6

Lyrics: Gerard Way's lyrics are touching and heart felt on the Black Parade album. They're intended to be touching, but that makes the album dull. It's pretty much a sob story (hence the emo reference they've been given) about a cancer patient and his death. Some could say it's a rock opera, like Green Day's American Idiot, but not as horrible. The lyrics do have its ups and down, but overall it's boring. If anything, it's more about the guitar than the lyrics. Gerard's skills at sing have also improved greatly on the album, which stands out from My Chemical Romance's previous albums where he was horrible. // 4

Overall Impression: The opening track, The End, is a simple acoustic/electric song with added sound effects. After listening to it on and on, it gets repetitive, to the point it's painful to even hear. Dead is the album's second track, which features driving guitars and clean, distorted riff work. After months of this song on my iPod, it's still a favorite, and not boring at all. The next song, This Is How I Disappear, is just the same. Ray Toro's guitar work is exceptional on these two songs. The Sharpest Lives is the fourth track, which is another seemingly repetitive track, almost from the start. The opening riff is annoying, almost ruining the song. Once you've past the first twenty seconds though, it breaks into a great riff, which pretty much saves the song. Entering as the fifth song is all to well known, Welcome to the Black Parade. This song is probably the second most repetitive song on the album. It's overplayed on the radio, which ruins this song. House of Wolves is a short song, which has sounds of 80's metal, which is contributed by Ray Toro's guitar influences. This song doesn't disappoint. Cancer is a heart touching song, but after awhile it gets old, and boring, thus being repetitive. Mama opens up with simple on/off riffs, then at the last moment jumps into a seemingly heavy riff. It's an okay song, but it gets old. Sleep and Teenagers are two great songs, the lyrics match the songs and the guitar work couldn't be better. Teenagers seems to be an experimental song. Disenchanted has to be the most boring song on the album. It has no original guitar riffs, and the lyrics just bore the listener, it's a major pass and let down, especially for the end of the album. Famous Last Words is the album's last song, and the most repetitive. Again, another overplayed song on the airwaves, which again, ruins the song (Why radio, why). A lot of effort obviously has been put into this song, but due to the radio plays all the time, it ruins the song. Overall, the album is about average, but it's a vast improvement from their earlier efforts. It's not as good as a lot of albums, and it could have been way better. I wouldn't go out and buy this album right away if I lost it, and more or less I would just borrow it from a friend. It's your decision ultimately. // 6

The Black Parade Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 13, 2007

Sound: First off I would like to say "wow". Incredible album in every aspect, personally never took the time ever to write a review online but this album deserves it! The sound is off the wall in all the songs. The type of album you can listen to over and over and never get tired of it. You got the harder tunes with "House of Wolves" being my favorite, then got the toned down ones like "Disenchanted". "Teenagers" is such an upeat singalong. Amazing guitar riffs! Every song though is out of this world and I really can't pick a favorite it's that good! // 10

Lyrics: Where do I start. I'm a little speechless for words to describe the emotion and heartwrenching lyrics this album posseses. It's basically a movie starting from the end that really keeps you listening all the way through. Never liked the band but heard some good things so I sat down and decided to give it a shot one night with my six pack of beer, pack of smokes sitting on my deck. By the end of the CD I was nearly in tears! Never in my life has an album hit me in such a way like this. THE most powerful lyrics I ever heard! His voice strikes something unique inside unparrelell to anything I ever heard, just amazing! Could give you examples of some of the songs but would be here all night so I envoke you to listen and experience this masterpiece for your self. // 10

Overall Impression: If there was a word overall I could use to describe this classic I would use it because it's in it's own class! This album changed my life! I love every aspect about every song in it's entirety! Not one I like less than another, going as far as to say that every song is my favorite. What blows me away is that I hated this band for years, really despised but to be fair never really listened to enough of them. But from what I heard they sound so different and more moderenized, less screaming. Listen to this album! Everybody, this is going to go down as one of the all time classics for years and years upon years to come! Well done My Chemical Romance! // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: Limpbizkit69, on july 20, 2007

Sound: My Chemical Romance has finally begun to get my respect. Much better then "Bullets" or "Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge". Sure, most of you are going to be like "MCR is a stupid emo band, emo this emo that". In my case, this album showed me that as we say "emo" or more specific "third wave of emo" is infact a decent form of music. Weather it's the epic "Welcome to the Black Parade", the highly rebelious "Teenagers", the relentless riff based "Dead!" or any other track on this album, I think everybody weather your grunge, heavy metal, punk or whatever, should give this album at least one listen. It will cange your whole view on "emo" as most like to call it. // 9

Lyrics: Not much to say, decent concept albums are hard to come by and MCR are brilliant. Although some might fall into your typical "emo" catergory, it also has rebellion, story telling, and much more to offer. The greatest rock opera of the 21st century by far. // 7

Overall Impression: My Chemical Romance have evolved significantly on this album. It does not compare at all to the first two, which were terrible as far as I'm concerned. To me it sounds ifluenced by much classic rock and modern rock. I'll say this, Thursday meets Queen backstage at an Aerosmith concert and decides to form a The Get Up Kids cover band, result: The Black Parade. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: ultimatetruth13, on july 23, 2007

Sound: I think the sound was overall pretty impressing. The only thing that made me slightly mad was the abundance of slower song (i.e. some of sleep, disenchanted, the end, cancer, I don't love you). There is a pretty interesting storyline, which is about a person (assuming a man) who is dying young in the hospital, and is thinking over his life and his inevitable death. I'm not totally sure if he actually ends up dying, but that's all open to interpretaion. The guitar tones are pretty cool, very treble-ish. A lot of interesting rhythms. There are also some mildly awesome solos (but nothing close to shred, which could be good or bad, depending on your music preferences). A lot of the songs have a very cool classic rock vibe to them (especially House of Wolves), without totally abonding their whole gothic-punk-emo thing. // 8

Lyrics: In my own personal (and often challenged) opinion, I honestly think that this album has some really good lyrics. The only thing that could be a minor (or major) turnoff to some is that a lot of the songs deal with with death, and some mild swearing (the major ones are edited out in the clean version) It follows a good storyline, and will get you thinking. Some of the lyrics are actually a little funny, like in Mama. // 9

Overall Impression: I think this a very good record, it one of my many favorites. The one thing that I absolutley hate is when people dismiss this as crap for being "emo". It's not really all that emo. Well I suppose it is emo, as in emotional, not as in total poo. It can be fun to listen to at some points, and at the same time depressing. Overall I definately think it's worth your money. Don't download it though, because you'll be missing some pretty awesome album art/lyric booklet. // 8

The Black Parade Reviewed by: bowdowntomono, on july 23, 2007

Sound: This newest My Chemical Romance album is much more epic, and also much better, than their previous offering, Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge, though that is also a very good album. Piano is introduced more often to the band's songs, giving them an extra level of musical genius. The guitarists are obviously very skilled, shown in some of the solos on this album, and the rest of the band are also enormously talented. The music on this album is very upbeat in places, offsetting the slightly depressing lyrics perfectly. The 4 singles from this album, Welcome To The Black Parade, Famous Last Words, I Don't Love You and Teenagers, represent the album perfectly. One thing I don't get however, is the way the album is supposed to follow the story of a cancer patient. After the first 2 songs, I can't really understand where the story is meant to be going. However, all in all, an extremely good album of music, one of my favourites. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album continue to be slightly depressing in their subject matter, though they now seem to concentrate on the grief and sadness side of the subject, rather than the angry or vengeful side. However, on songs like Dead! and Mama, the upbeat tone of the music makes the lyrics sound joking, playful and very slightly psychopathic. There are still genuinely sad songs on the album, the main one being Cancer, the one song other than the first 2 that seems to relate to the cancer patient the album is about, where the lyrics fit perfectly with the music. The lyrics themselves are very good and meaningful. I can see why some could find Gerard Way's voice annoying, but I love his singing, now he has lost the screaming tone he used on previous albums. The guest appearance of Liza Minelli on the track Mama also spices up the singing style. // 9

Overall Impression: This album first got me into My Chemical Romance, after hearing Welcome To The Black Parade on the TV. The overall quality of the songs is stunning, showing a variety of different styles, all of which are amazing. Once I heard this album all the way through, I had trouble seeing any flaws in it. There simply aren't any bad harmonies, riffs or anything. The songs on the album are all incredible, but ones that stand out for me are Dead!, Welcome To The Black Parade, Cancer and Teenagers. In my opinion, it's one of the greatest albums ever, improving dramatically on Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge. If I lost this album, and I lost my computer with it on, I would most definitely buy it again. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 18, 2007

Sound: First of all, let me say that this album is a masterpiece. My Chemical Romance's music can get a little dramatic, but this album takes dramatic to new heights. The album's "story" is about a boy, the Patient, who gets cancer and dies, but once he dies, there's a parade in the sky for him(hence the name "The Black Parade"). In the release press conference, lead singer, Gerard Way said, "I've always thought that when you die, heaven is what you want it to be, and for this kid, his best memory was when he was at a parade with his dad." In the record, you can hear many different, more classic rock sounds. For instance, "The End" sounds like Pink Floyd, or "Welcome to the Black Parade" might sound like Queen. // 9

Lyrics: In all of My Chemical Romance's songs, the lyrics tend to be more revenge-filled, but on this CD they seem to be more about life and death or being an outcast. You can tell by listening that Gerard Way's life has been filled with all of that, and he knows that some of his fans do too. But, if you want to really make those lyrics work, you have to have talent. Gerard definately has that talent. Even live he can sing. And that's important in a band. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD is the best album I own. I don't let anyone touch it because I want to keep it in perfect condition, yeah it's that good. My favorite songs on the album would have to be "Disenchanted" or "House of Wolves". The thing I love about this album is that it can speak to anybody. Everybody has emotions and they go through some of the same things that are on this CD. If you haven't gotten this CD, go and by it now. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: JosephDowne, on november 23, 2007

Sound: From the amazing Pink Floyd-ish opener (The End), to the manic rock song it segues into (Dead!), all the way to the 13th track finale, My Chemical Romance develops a style so '70s/'80s and yet retains their own unique flare. Escaping from modern pop-punk/emo sounds, they draw up a Sgt. Peppers-esque view of the death of the patient. And they succeed with amazing results like the lead single "Welcome To The Black Parade" complete with a marching band, choir, and the Brian May-esque guitar playing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics tell of the life and death of the Main Character, the Patient. He sits in a hospital bed and given two weeks to live in Dead!, and then reaches a point right before death with "Welcome". He then flashes back to moments in his life wondering how he'll be remembered. All the while, My Chemical Romance drifts back in forth from easy going songs to balls-to-the-walls rock songs creating a varied album yet still enjoyable. Liza Minelli joins in for "Mama" in MCR's best cabaret song since "Prison" of their "Three Cheers" album. "Sleep" is probably the hardest song they've ever done, with a powerful screaming bridge and a simple yet effective chorus of "Just sleep!". Then comes "Teenagers" the song about Gerard Way's fear of teenagers, and "Disenchanted" the soft rock song of the album and the perfect set-up for the finale. "Famous Last Words" opens with a muted guitar and a growling vocal. And then it erupts into a near five-minute long end to this epic album. Priceless. And the 14th hidden track is "Blood", possibly their funniest song to date. // 10

Overall Impression: It blows all of their 2006 competition out of the water, and still continues rocking very far into 2007. The classic feel is refreshing, even if you've never listened to Queen or Pink Floyd or any other classical bands, you know this album is something different from today's sounds from the first song alone. It's an amazing achievement, something they'll probably never be able to top. "Revenge" and "Bullets" their two previous efforts were a slaughterfest of emotions, dead corpses, Pacts with Devils, Vampires, and the collection of one thousand evil souls. And top it all off with an overly aggressive tone, and it's no where near the might of Black Parade's epic story, of a Patient, a hospital bed, a parade, the Teenagers, and of course the Patient's Lover topped off with a subdued aggression and classical expertise. Well done MCR. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 08, 2007

Sound: The sound of Th Black Parade is much better than the others albums, the guitars are amazing and Gerards voice is really better and he's not 'screaming' like in three cheerbecame res, it's really singing, his voice got much more control and we really hear his little accent who made their songs so amazing. The lyrics are more deeper than ever and the concept of telling a story in the album was very original. MCR completely change the sound and the style of the music and it really surprised the fans. At all, the sound of the music his amazing, most of the songs are really catchy, we can see MCR became much more mature in the last 2 years. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are really deep and touched me a lot. Gerard really ameliorate his composition talent in the last year, the concept of the album is really well tought and original. I think nobody will ever compose deep songs Like Gerard. The Black Parade lyrics really come and search us, make us cry or laugh, make us reflect, tought and I think we don't feel this with every song we listen and this is what makes the Black parade beautiful and amazing. There's songs in the album I dind't really love, like The End and Sleep, but the other songs are really amazing. The Sharpest lives is my favorite song of the album, the guitar is amazing and the lyrics too, it's one of the deepest song of the album. And what can we say about Cancer? So beautiful and romantic. Who never cried on this song? Then there is Famous Last Words, the last track of the album. Full of hope, at all after all the darkness the album drive, the story finished and we can see the end of the story as we want. If the boy choice to live or die. This song his the strongest of the album. At all, The Black parade have really deep lyrics, even if some of the tracks sound sometimes a bit the same, but it stay a wonderful album who make us laugh and cry. // 8

Overall Impression: The Black Parade is a really original album, I never heard sounds as MCR compose. Even if they took a bit of inspiration from Queen (welcome to the black parade) and Pink Floyd (Sleep) this album is unique and there's no band who will ever equal their melody and lyrics. The Black Parade is one of the most theatrical, dramatic and grandiose album of all times. For surem Three Cheers song were really more rythmic and catchy, but The Black parade is much deeper than every MCR album. Even is one day we will be tired of this album I think the Black Parade have made history of music for his deep lyrics, amazing rythm and the originality MCR create with this album. // 9

The Black Parade Reviewed by: bloodchair, on march 08, 2008

Sound: I think the sound of The Black Parade is incredible. My Chemical Romance have two guitarist and unlike some other bands, they know how to use them. For example: The bridge after the long intro in 'Welcome To The Black Parade'. Ray Toro and Frank Iero are player two seperate pieces together and it just sounds awesome. But sometimes in The Black Parade I think they could have worked a little more in some parts, like in 'Cancer' and 'I Don't Love You', but still it is a better effort than their other albums. // 9

Lyrics: I think Gerard Way is a great singer. But sometimes his lyrics don't make sense. Most of his lyrics do comply well with the music, though sometimes I didn't know what he was saying until I read the lyrics. Also, just like the music sometimes he could have tried just a little harder, but still a excellent effort. // 8

Overall Impression: Some of the most impressive songs in the album are; Welcome To The Black Parade, Dead!, THE END, The Sharpest Lives, House Of Wolves, Famous Last Words and Teenagers. I just love some of the guitar parts and solos, My Chemical Romance have some of the funnest songs to play for guitar. So if your a guitarist looking for a challenge and to further your skills and have fun, you should learn 'It's Not A Fashion Statement, It's A Deathwish, the solos in 'Dead!' (for a fun challenge) and the awesome riff in 'To The End' (not in The Black Parade). // 9

The Black Parade Reviewed by: FleshyPickle, on august 18, 2008

Sound: The Black Parade starts off with a mellow song "the end" which leads to the next song "dead".The Black Parade is a concept album centering around the character "The Patient". It centers around his passage out of life and the memories he has of his life. "The Patient" dies and death comes for him in the form of a parade. As crazy as that sounds the CD still holds up from the first track to the last. The first thing you may remember about my chemical romance is that they scream a lot at random parts of a song, but now they control themselves and scream only when the music picks up.After you here this CD once you will go back right after, and want to listen to it again from start to finish. // 9

Lyrics: Gerard Way I must say has a good voice, but when the band first started he resorted to screaming instead of just singing, and showing off his good voice. His voice realy goes with the mood of all the songs, and that's what makes him a good singer. The lyrics in the album are also good, but not the best. Some songs have better lyrics then others. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall you will be happy with buying this cd, and all the songs are good, but "dead", "teenagers", and "mama" stand out the most. They have the best lyrics of the CD hands down. If I ever lost this CD I would run down to a music store and buy a new copy. All in all I like everything about this cd, and I'm happy to see that the band has grown out of it's old roots. // 10

The Black Parade Reviewed by: aaronmcm99, on june 05, 2012

Sound: Now, My chemical romance are one of - in my opinion - the "new wave" of rock music, (along with Black Veil Bride, All Time Low, Asking Alexandria) and as a result has a lot to live up to, does this album do it? Ehhh, maybe, but it shows great potential for the new rockers, there sound is strange alternative Rock sound, with bits of punk mixed in, its kinda hard to describe in words exactly, but listening to it explains itself. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are casual rock, with at times depressive lyrics, but nonetheless good, the singers main problem is - while not really his fault - everyone trys to mimic him, the similarities between most bands nowadays is very unoriginal, but the lyrics to "Black Parade" the soong is sad when I was a youngboy my father took me in to the city... Its sad but then turns into a high speed pop/rock song, with great guitars. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall? Best album I've heard in a while, but not perfect, some songs are lacking seriously, but some are amazing, its terribly acquired taste, unfortunately but give it a chance and you will love it, with its guitars and excellent drumming, you would be mad not too, welcome to "The Black Parade" and teenagers, are the top pics here but you should definitely buy this album you wont regret it. // 9

More My Chemical Romance reviews rating latest review