Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge Review

my chemical romance: Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge
Released: June 8, 2004
Genre: Alternative Rock, Post-Hardcore, Emo
Label: Reprise, Eyeball
With "Three Cheers", Gerard Way soars with the same emotion and rawness that made the first release great.
 Lyrics: 8.3
 5.6
 8.6
 2.5
Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge Reviewed by: fox69, on october 24, 2005

Sound: Well, My Chemical Romance is definetly my favorite band rite now and I can't get enough of them. Their disc "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge" has everything an avid rocker could want. "Helena" starts off the CD and after that the CD just doesn't stop to impress. Notable songs definetly have to be "To The End," "You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison," I'm Not Okay," "Ghost Of You," "Cemetary Drive" and "I Never Told You What I Do For A Living." They have "Helena" and "I Never Told You What I Do For A Living" that are so easy to rock out to, and they can slow it down with "Ghost Of You" and "Interlude." As far as guitars go, Ray Toro and Frank Iero don't fail to deliver. Whether it be mind blowing solos, or just the hard rock riffs that wanna make you rock out. Mikey ways bass is fairly simple but just makes the guitars and bob bryars drumming seem all that more insane. Bryar puts it all out there in every song, and this album blow all others out of the water. // 10

Lyrics: Gerard Ways lyrics are fast paced and emotion-driven so that when he screams it isn't just sensless noise, but meaningful emotion. He has so much talent and can sing about anything from being ripped away from someone you love (Ghost Of You) or a dedication to a late family member (Helena). His flow with the band is great wether it be in soft ballad-like singing to hardcore screaming. His lyrics can be a bit dark but he sings about whats out there so you know it's not candy coated. // 10

Overall Impression: This is by far 1 of the best discs out there. I can't say it enough about how great it is to have a band as original as they are in todays music. If I ever lost this CD I'd buy it again in a second. So if you want a band that will pour it out and never get old, buy this disc. // 10

Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge Reviewed by: the james, on november 09, 2005

Sound: the sound of this record is certainly original but they have used ideas used by many bands. An example of this is the opening to ghost of you, which for me, sounds like their tring to rip off wake me when. The song does sound good though although I wish I could say the same for the rest of the record. // 4

Lyrics: First and formost the lead singer, Gerard Way, has once of the worst voices in modern rock. If you listen in places you can hear his vice go out of tune. This is very pronounced in their hit I'm Not Ok, although this should win and award for most true title. The lyrics aren't as bad though. They are very good in Helena but they try to hard to make them sound impressive to much. // 3

Overall Impression: Well by now you can realise that tis isnt going to be nice. I know that MCR have a massive amount of fans who won't hear a word against them. I expect that this article will get a lot of stick but I don't care. The only thing I care about is that how this album can get a better rating then American Idiot, which is strange to say the least. The opening to Helena is good, so is To The End, which is the best song on the album and Ghost Of you is good in parts bt the rest is average drissle. // 3

Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge Reviewed by: takenthecannoli, on march 26, 2013

Sound: My Chemical Romance began as a Jersey-based MySpace band with a well-put-together but mostly unseen debut in 2002's "I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love". Extensive touring, recruitment of Motorhead and P.O.D.'s Howard Benson on production, and signing to Reprise Records brought the band explosive success with 2004's "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge". Blasting an offshoot of pop punk with just a shot of the band's previous post-hardcore, "Three Cheers" introduced a new sound and image for the band, furthering dark imagery of vampires and ghost towns on 2002's "I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love". The result is a macabre party. Carried over from "Bullets" are a few elements crucial to the My Chemical Romance sound: guitarists Ray Toro and Frank Iero duking it out with metal and punk, respectively; over-the-top black humor; and theatrics gradually inching closer to the likes of Pink Floyd and Queen. Several of these are extremely refined since "Bullets", evolving the band's sound into an emo (just don't tell them that) thrill ride. Conceptual imagery is prominent the linear notes are the place to go for most of the story, but some of it is alluded to in the lyrical work, as well. Best of all is a deeper, more violent overall sound. Moments in "Three Cheers" poke laughingly at "Bullets", as though its brother was a childhood play thing. As "Helena" bursts the album's creaking double-doors open, an ante upped in production immediately puts greater emphasis on guitar work, which is significantly more realized than the already interesting debut. At any given time, there are two distinct and reflective guitar parts, with each complimenting the other wonderfully. Toro's implementation of solos and more melodic riffs are essential to songs like "Thank You For The Venom" and hit single "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)". Duality is wonderfully played up in "You Don't Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison", and singer Gerard Way chants sardonically along. "The Ghost Of You" is heavy and haunting, followed closely by the mosh-supreme chorus of "The Jetset Life Is Gonna Kill You" and an ominous "Interlude" into the last stretch of the record. Though the power with which My Chemical Romance Wile-E-Coyotes through the record is clear, there are a few stalls along the way. For one, as on "Bullets", the formula is essentially static throughout. Since this album runs longer than the last, it is a bit more pronounced, but the tone of each song is so even spread across itself that this is almost never a problem. Moments that intrude are typically "Did I hear this solo?" when comparing "To The End" and "Thank You For The Venom" both slow to a stomp, though the melodic differences are vast and each piece's spirit is diverse enough that the similarities end there. "I'm Not Okay" is admittedly radio-ready in some of the worst of ways, even if it presents a sound unlike its contemporaries. "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge" isn't a fully realized My Chemical Romance, a new and special My Chemical Romance, or the definitive My Chemical Romance. "Three Cheers" is the album that knocks all three out of the park with a declaration that My Chemical Romance can do whatever the hell they want. "The Ghost Of You" is the closest the band comes to a ballad it's one for the funerals, to be certain. "Hang 'Em High" is a Western that barely draws its pistol before firing in the faces of zombies. "Thank You For The Venom" averages five hundred kph. Finally, "I Never Told You What I Do For A Living" ends the roller coaster, as the debut, "in a hail of bullets." From the mournful-but-dangerously-fast "Helena", the album tells you most of what to expect, but it's one hell of a ride. // 7

Lyrics: Where "Three Cheers" advances, there are occasional set-backs, though nothing to get touchy about. A few lyrical weak points are brought over from the previous record, and unlike "Bullets" it becomes harder, as you journey through, to discern just when the band is utterly serious in delving into a seemingly endless well of angst. It's exciting stuff, to be certain, but tracks like "I'm Not Okay" are prematurely tiring, weakening the power of gems such as "The Ghost Of You". Most of the songs are either condescension wrapped in sarcasm or love songs wrapped in anecdotes about car wrecks, but the sheer honesty with which the band cries is more striking than uncomfortable. The lyrical content is generally anthemic or vaguely punk-inspired, especially when paired with exciting instrumentation. Even in its most melodramatic moments, the band invites with evident self-awareness; "Give 'Em Hell, Kid" and "Prison" are sung with winks like "We are young and we don't care/Your dreams and your hopeless hair" and a refrain of "Oh, nobody knows all the trouble I've seen." Hey, if they're being dramatic, they're well aware. It's bizarrely charming. Singer Gerard Way is one of the cruxes of the record, but one fatal flaw throws off moments in "Three Cheers". While Way's vocals are more melodic (some may miss the screaming from "Bullets"), there is also a strange quality to it. From the other releases, it may well be production, but at the worst of times, it sounds as though two very close cuts were stitched other the other. Imagine C-3PO with a slightly less exaggerated effect. It isn't constant, and so may not at all be him (ask Benson), as "The Ghost Of You" suggests. Regardless, the same power which drove him through "Bullets" is present here, and it sounds great. His voice is a high-octane and heavy growl. In places, he finds room for theatricality a missed gem in rock-ish genres across the board and in others for intimacy. Not too shabby an advancement for a sophomore release. // 7

Overall Impression: "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge" is as violent and as daring as they come, with just the right touch of honesty in all the right places. Its energy trumps even the fantastic "Bullets", and it plays twice as fast at any given time. The emotional moments are more bombast, the sound is just as (if not more) unique, and the personalities are bigger than ever. Particularly of interest are Iero and Toro's guitar work set against Way's alternating melodies and screaming, and Matt Pellisier makes an impressive return on drums. Thematically, the record goes from A to B with ease; it's as if My Chemical Romance was born for the concept album. Most of all, it's just a whole lot of fun. Revenge is truly a dish best served sweet.

// 7

Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 19, 2004

Sound: My Chemical Romance was formed in New Jersey and started with "I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love" record in 2002. Lifting their name from the cult description of Irvine Welsh's novels, My Chemical Romance is emerging as one of the most promising young bands in recent musical memory. Their sound, distinct and fresh, pledges allegiance to everyone from Iron Maiden and The Misfits to Morrissey and At The Gates. My Chemical Romance's second release "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge" combines various styles of music - punk, alternative, emo, even hardcore. It was made in the best traditions of alternative pop/rock and post-hardcore music. It has neither long guitar solos, nor prolonged singin, which are a common stuff for classic rock acts -- on most of the album's tunes "Three Cheers" is based on a blunt screaming and powerchords. Besides, you can hear musical echoes of some current mainstream rock bands, however you can't say their roots are mixed up on those bands, but some influencies are evident. Once again, on this record you can hear many punk music attributes -- such as the dominance of a powerchords-based solitary and repeating riffs over multi-guitar harmonic melodies -- as well as the depressive alternative-like tones. Having said this, My Chemical Romance still follow their own way -- on another side, album's sounding is overall different to what you may have heard before. It's a quite common album in terms of its sound, but the spirit of the album is unexpectedly unusual. Perfectly balanced and recorded it's not overfilled with a harsh melodies alternations and perceives as a whole. // 8

Lyrics: "Three Cheers" lyrics have their special place in the whole concept -- a love story of a dead man and a dead woman. These guys have a freaky fantasy for sure. Death, parting, poison and guns are the main theme of this album. Gerard Way [band's vocalist] has melodious clean voice and this saves the band to be classified as a horror punk instead of what they really do -- a malicious emo punk. Gerard's voice varies from a sweet whisper to a heart-rending scream. // 8

Overall Impression: In comparing it with their previous release, "I Brought You Bullets, You Brought Me Love," both releases are great for different reasons -- "Three Cheers" might appeal to a broader fan base because of it's slightly more punk-pop sounding, while their first release had that raw, emotional sound. With "Three Cheers," Gerard Way soars with the same emotion and rawness that made the first release great, but the overall sound behind him is a slightly weaker. If brutal things like dead people and guns, loneliness and a lack of hope are what you like, buy this album. If not -- beware, you may fall into depression. // 10

Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge Reviewed by: Hikarimono, on may 15, 2006

Sound: I got this CD on a buying binge one day. I'd heard "I'm Not Okay", and I wasn't too impressed at the time, but I found the music video pretty amusing. I picked it up, and was imediately entranced by the instrumentals in Helena. It seemed to only get better. To me, MCR has their own unique style. They combine a lot of different techniques to make their guitar work and other various instruments fit the meanings of the songs very well. For example, Hang 'Em High has a perfect western feel to it. But they can change from that style to Ghost Of You, which leans more to the emo rock side of the spectrum. I think their background music is amazing and conveys the images of the songs in a superb manner. // 10

Lyrics: Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge is quite obviously a concept album. They have a plot randomly conveyed within the songs. I think that some of their lyrics are obscure in a way that they have far too many meanings. You can tell the overall meanings in the songs, but trying to combine them in a plot is a lot easier said than done. I think they did a pretty good job with bringing out each and every individual song's meaning, but I think their song order was a bit sloppy. It's nice to have a band that can make you actually think about their work, but MCR does it in a fairly confusing manner. If you have a lot of patience and interest in figuring out the deeper meanings and plots of songs, than they will fit you pretty well. // 8

Overall Impression: When I first got TCFWR, I really thought that it was some of the most amazing music I'd heard that year. I hurriedly bought their previous album and was disappointed. I think they changed their style a lot in this new album. Very much for the better, at that. Their old style was a lot more sloppy in my view, as well as emo enough to make you want to gag. I think they improved greatly with this album, and hopefully they'll confinue in this direction with their next album. I always find myself picking it back up after I've grown sick of it. This album is very addicting. You've been warned. // 9

Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge Reviewed by: joannamcbeth, on september 18, 2006

Sound: There are many things great about the sound of "Three For Cheers For Sweet Revenge" one thing that struck me was how different it can be. Rangeing from quiet, loud, fast, slow. there is seriously nothing that Gerard can't do. The overal story might be a bit morbid, but at least it has something to do with something, rather than the album being about randam things like other albums. I read somewhere that MCR are very influenced by older bands, however this album is nothing like any other album that I have ever had. the best songs would have tio be "You Know What They Do To Gus Like Us On Prison" which cracked me up, "I Never Told You What I Did For A Living", which was the main song that featured my "quiet, loud" theory. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are maybe a little bit too deathy. If you know what I mean. But that is the story of the album. Some pieces of lyrics are just absolutly brilliant (of course). Gerard Way definitly delivers the lyrics well. Not many other singers would be able to, but Gerard does it perfectly well. "I keep a gun in the book you gave me/ hallaluyah lock and load" is one of my fav examples of lyrics, amonst many. It is very, very difficult to pin point the great lyrics because all of the album if full of great lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge" is nothing like any other albums that I have ever owned! I think the best songs on the album are Helena, You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison, I Never Told You What I Did For A Living and To The End. There seriously is not one song on their that I would change. I could not put them in order of which I liked best, because there wouldn't be one at the bottom of the list. What I love about the album is that it is so different. It is what makes my chemical romance special. If it was stolen. Oh my god, I would probably cry. Then not eat for a month, so I could save up to buy it again. Brilliant album! // 10

Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge Reviewed by: shugo449, on january 17, 2007

Sound: On Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge, My Chemical Romance's sound becomes more signature as well as heavier and rockish. First of all this disk bosts the huge mainstream hits "Helena", "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)", "Ghost Of You", and "Give 'Em Hell, Kid". Lead Guitarist Ray Toro and Frank Iero both bring something different to the band. Ray, raised on classic rock, brings in Queen type stuff and cool solos. Frank, raised on punk, brings in the simple punk rock type riffs. Usually, the intro and verse are Franks and the chorus and solo sound like something from Ray. Their playing goes really well with Gerard's vocals, Mikey's bass playing and Bob's drums. My favorite tracks are "Thank You For the Venom", "I'm Not Okay", and "You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison". They all have real cool solos. Their sound is amazing. // 9

Lyrics: Gerard's lyrics are mainly based around death and depression. Most tracks feature a reference to suicide, killing, or some sort of death. Way says that all this morbid imagery comes form being catholic, saying he was always afraid of church. No matter the reason, they're depressing. // 8

Overall Impression: My Chemical Romance. Their amazing. This CD is so amazing and unexpected. It combines my favorite musical styles, punk and rock, so that I can enjoy both at once, without even skipping tracks. I love this CD, even though some of the words are depressing. If I lost this CD, I would buy it again, or maybe two, so I have a spair. Seriously, this disk is amazing. For any punk or rock fan, this is a must have, as well as a must have for any fan of mainstream hits, since half of these tracks were. Go get it now if you don't have it. // 10

Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge Reviewed by: pablohoney1983, on february 27, 2005

Sound: This album is sort of pop-punk, but very much progressive rock in the vein of Coheed & Cambria, The Mars Volta, and Rush (to go back to the prog rocker roots). This is a very innovative album, in terms of sound, especially if you play it on a surround sound system using Dolby Prologic. Many of the songs use the throwback method of isolating tracks (which will play out of one speaker at a time). This can especially be heard on "You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison?" (track 4). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are deep, and often cryptic, i. e. "Long ago, just like the hearse you die to get in again" on the first track, "Helena." The lyrics in this type of music are always very meaningful, and often follow a them or story, as in the case of Coheed & Cambria and The Mars Volta. Some of the lyrics on this album are also socially relevant, i. e. "I took a train outta New Orleans, and they shot me full of Ephedrine (Ephedrine being a legal herbal supplement linked to deaths in both professional football and baseball)." // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I would rate this album among the best of what I own or have heard. I have been a hardcore music aficionado since I was about 11 (1994 and even earlier), and I would rank this album with Green Day's "Dookie," Bush's "Sixteen Stone," Silverchair's "Frogstomp," Nirvana's "Nevermind", Rage's "Evil Empire" and "The Battle Of Los Angeles", as well as many other great (newer) albums. The best thing about this album is that I did not see it coming, and I did not expect it to be this good when I bought it. For God's sake, buy or burn this album immediately! // 10

Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge Reviewed by: BDonGraffiti, on december 02, 2005

Sound: I found this album hard to get into, but once you start to like the songs one by one you get hooked on it like drugs. The music is great with awesome guitar riffs and drums. The bass is "ok" as my bassist cousin says. Ray and Frank make perfect verses, solos, chorus, and everything! Matt is always making the song great, because in each song he attacks with all he's got. Gerard has a great voice! Mikey looks good in his glasses! what more do you need? // 10

Lyrics: I thought the lyrics were very interesting. Most of the lyrics tell a story. This album was supposed to be about this couple getting shot up in a gunfight and the guy goes to hell, but the girl is alive and the devil tells him that she's dead and if he wants his girl back he has to kill 1,000 dudes. So the devil gives him a gun and the dude goes and starts killing, but dies and fails at the end... something like that. I thought that Gerard's voice is the best and very different. He screams less in this album than in the last which I thought was good but I do like the ladies, I mean screaming. // 10

Overall Impression: The only album you can compare this to is to itself! My favorite songs in the album are all of them! But the most impressive songs to me were "Give 'Em Hell Kid," "You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison," "I'm Not Okay," "Thank You For The Venom" and "Cemetery Drive." I heart Ray and Franks guitar riffs that begin hardcore and blend into an emo style into a punk chorus with a metal solo! I hate that I love this album so much that I always forget to feed my dog, oh wait I don't have a dog! If this CD was lost or stolen by my aunt then I'd by two more, one for listening and the other for hitting my aunt, who stole my other one, with. // 10

Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge Reviewed by: Mandy Croyance, on december 27, 2005

Sound: What matters about the music behind My Chemical Romance's "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge" is not really who influenced it but why people like it. I guarantee that part of the reason the band has recently become such a fan favourite is their aural diversity. From hard electric guitar lines to mellow, piano-like rifts (like those they use in Ghost Of You), this disc uses the talents the guitarist to nearly their full measure. The variation between components is also attractive. Careful listening to the guitar lines will show that they rarely reuse precisely same sequence over and over and over again within the verses of a song. The variations are subtle but they keep things interesting. And I know Bob Bryar's drumming has been called bland, but it moves the songs along at an appropriate pace without ever getting bothersome or dull. Variation is everybody's friend. On this album My Chemical Romance borrow from several popular genres (to remain blissfully unnamed) and even employ some Jazz. More of this well-focused musical schizophrenia would surely benefit the growth of the band. Since, for the most part, I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to musical technicalities but I still love it all, in this section I give "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge" the number of lives of a common housecat. // 9

Lyrics: One of the most refreshing aspects of this album (in comparison with 'the drabble') is the fiction. Take for example the band's favourite track "You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison" which boasts lyrics like "They all cheat at cards and the checkers are lost/My cellmate's a killer, they made me do push-ups (in drag)." It conjures up some interesting (and unusual) images, no? Although most of the songs don't feature such explicit story-lines it is not a detriment. They allow listeners a greater freedom of imagination than "You Bring Me Your Bullets, I Bring You My Love," their first album and run away with you your imagination will. The pop-punks of today are preoccupied with whining about fighting with their parents, not having any friends and not being able to get any. While shades of this show through especially in "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge" first single, the facetious high-school based "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)," the album revels in deeper, darker, more abstract qualities of human existence, especially through the use of morbid imagery. "Love is the red of the rose on your coffin door" (Thank You For The Venom). "The angels just cut out her tongue/Call her black Mariah" (Hang 'Em High). While sadly not as poetic or quotable as those of their first album, the lyrics of "Three Cheers" offer something thought provoking and just a little more real (if slightly allegorical). In "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge," vocalist Gerard Way really delivers, locked in a light-less attic with naught but a microphone (true story). To be serious, his vocals are slightly shaky but in a way that lends many tracks a heart-warming rawness, far improved from the last album's warbling, wavering yelps that were so abrasive that they left some bleeding from the ears. The occasional pitchy-ness on this disc is more additive than distracting. Gerard's voice is morose, amusing and irate in all the appropriate places, but it the emotion sometimes isn't as powerful as one would imagine it should be. That's something to improve upon the next go 'round, guys. Because I am a discriminating connoisseur of poetry and because I think this band has the potential to truly, truly impress me lyrically, for their sophomore effort I give them the square root of sixty-nine minus five (the number of good-looking group members). // 8

Overall Impression: Based on the song "Demolition Lovers" from their last album, "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge" began as a concept album about two lovers who die in a desert gunfight. However, as the band, itself, soon realized this album refuses to be confined to any specific dimensions. It lends itself well to whatever emotional anguish you may be facing at the moment, and ideal gift you your favourite brooding teenager or anyone who appreciates the darker side of life and humour. Label them however you choose; compare them to whom you will; My Chemical Romance creates for themselves in this album a genre of music that is subset into the "it" punk-pop-emo-hardcore-alternative-whatever that prevails in current American rock culture and yet isn't quite any of it. When it suits, they scream, croon, rock hard, rock soft and even giggle, yes, giggle. It's what makes this band so appealing: they, like so many of their fans, don't really fit in. In summation, I like chocolate muffins. And the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, which is why I feel completely justified in awarding this album a fresh, crisp Hamilton for its much appreciated efforts. // 10

Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge Reviewed by: True_Jardey, on february 13, 2006

Sound: The sound of this album is great. In the song "Ghost Of You," the guitar riffs were simple but a normal person could not have made anything like it. Frank really puts the distortion effects to the limits and Ray really creates awesome guitar solos. Mikey is really a veteran here, despite the fact that bass strings are large and somewhat hard. Bob (yeah, they had to replace their drummer in this album) defines the word "impossible" by his drum solos. That would really hurt your legs and arms from all that slam-banging Gerard's voice is totally flexible. He screams. He whispers. He emotes. I'd have to say it sounds great. The story of this album is derived from lovers who got murdered in a gunfight in the desert (as the song from their first album "Demolition Lovers" (which is my favorite song of all their songs) suggests). The guy went straight to hell and made a deal with the devil to kill a thousand evil men so that he can live again with his lover. He sets off with a gun but he is killed in the end and went on burning in hell. Some of the tracks were also inspired by Mikey and Gerard's grandmother who passed away. The song "Helena" is a tribute to her. 'Nuff said, it sound great. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are dark and maccabre. It speaks of death and the story of the two lovers above. The lyrics are dark, gothic and emotional. Just the way I like it. Gerard's flexible voice ranges from whining about a dead family member (Helena), high school dramas (I'm Not Ok), being taken away from your lover (Ghost Of You), living the life of a serial killer (I Never Told You What I Do For A Living) and many more, the lyrics seem to captivate you and they don't repeat itself. They are also pretty deep (excerpt from Helena, "Long ago, just like the hearse you died to get in again") and will make you feel like a gothic writer. If only they wrote a song about The Headless Horseman. // 10

Overall Impression: I can't compare this one to anything else. It is unique, dark, violent and emotional. The most impressive songs have to be Helena, Ghost Of You, I'm Not Ok (I Promise), To The End, I Never Told You What I Do For A Living and You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison. The best song has to be "Ghost Of You." You can feel the emotion by listening to this song. I love it because it is gothic. It reflects my personality. And it isn't just senseless screaming. What I hate though is, nothing! Okay, so maybe I'm exalting these guys too much but this album is really good. I can't think of anything bad to say about them. If it was stolen or lost, I'd hunt it down or hunt down the thieves, singing, "Another knife in my hands, a stain that never somes off the sheets..." // 10

Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge Reviewed by: Otari, on may 01, 2006

Sound: The music on this CD is one of a kind. The guitar playing is unique and solid. This CD was made to "save peoples lives" as said by the vocalist Gerard Way. Its about being unique, and struggles in life. There's a lot of post-hardcore, rock, and punk sounds in this album. This CD doesnt sound like any other made, its very different and catchy. It tells a story about 2 lovers, and their struggle to be together. A big two thumbs up. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing, and different. Not like any other band just putting out songs, talking about nothing at all. These words actually mean something to these guys. It deals with with all of their struggles, problems, high points and low points of their lives. The lyrics, and the music fit together wonderfully. You can notice that this took a lot of time, and effort. // 10

Overall Impression: This album does not even come close to other albums put out by other artists. The single of the CD is "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)" which is a excellent song. It's about the band members struggles in High School. It talks about being your own self, and not following others trends. The second single is "Helena", which is written about the lead singer, Gerard Way's Grandmother. She inspired him to sing and was his biggest fan before she passed away. It's very emotional. I love how much talent this album has in it, and how well written it is. I do not hate anything about this CD. If somebody stole this CD from me, I'd track them down and gut them. Or just ask for it back. I'd definately buy this CD again. // 10

Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 13, 2006

Sound: I got this CD on a buying binge one day. I'd heard "I'm Not Okay", and I wasn't too impressed at the time, but I found the music video pretty amusing. I picked it up, and was imediately entranced by the instrumentals in Helena. It seemed to only get better. To me, MCR has their own unique style. They combine a lot of different techniques to make their guitar work and other various instruments fit the meanings of the songs very well. For example, Hang 'Em High has a perfect western feel to it. But they can change from that style to Ghost of You, which leans more to the emo rock side of the spectrum. I think their background music is amazing and conveys the images of the songs in a superb manner. // 10

Lyrics: Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge is quite obviously a concept album. They have a plot randomly conveyed within the songs. I think that some of their lyrics are obscure in a way that they have far too many meanings. You can tell the overall meanings in the songs, but trying to combine them in a plot is a lot easier said than done. I think they did a pretty good job with bringing out each and every individual song's meaning, but I think their song order was a bit sloppy. It's nice to have a band that can make you actually think about their work, but MCR does it in a fairly confusing manner. If you have a lot of patience and interest in figuring out the deeper meanings and plots of songs, than they will fit you pretty well. // 8

Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge Reviewed by: Whatsernamex, on august 03, 2006

Sound: Sooo. My Chemical Romance. Their music sounds like hardcore-emo stuff & I like it! The leadsinger, Gerard Way, he looks a little like his friend, Bert from The Used. When they perform they act actually the same, with all the jumping and all. Someone told me about the band, so I started downloading some songs. It sounded really good, so I bought the album. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are very emotional, and poetical. I like them a lot. Especially in the song Cemetery Drive, that's a very catchy song. Gerard sings in a very histirical way, and I love it. Then there are the 2 singles, Helena & I'm Not Okay. They're still good. What I really like, is the transition on Interlude. It's really relaxed and then boom! The powerful intro of Thank You For The Venom. 01. Helena - the single. I really like it. it's about his granny dying. It's hard to understand with part of the lyrics, but when you really think about it, it makes perfect sense. He knows he can't be with her because she'd passed away so there's nothing more he CD do then say 'so long and goodnight'. 02. Give 'em Hell Kid - a really nice bass-intro and the vocals are in this uhm, not usually sound yknow. That sounds cool. 03. To The End - song about a man. I think something about a marriage. It a nice song. 04. You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison - the end is funny, Gerard's screaming like a girl. It made me laugh. It starts a little soft and then the heavy guitar jumps in again. 05. I'm Not Okay - another single. A real sing-along-one. It's still a good song. 06. The Ghost Of You - another single. It's about war, the people who don't survive it, the soldiers' wives waiting at home "You're never coming home, never coming home". I think it's like that, because of the video. Anyway it's a very powerful song. 07. The Jetset Life Is Gonna Kill You - I think this song is defenitly about addiction and suicide with constant talks of "Holding On" and "The Last Night" and "When the CD come". Again a real MCR-song. 08. Interlude - almost no lyrics 'Falling angels...' It's 1 minute or something, and then... 09. Thank You For The Venom - I love the intro. Meanings, it's about those people that CD to your house&try to convert you to a religion. He keeps calling her sister like she'd a nun. "I wouldn't front the scene if you made me" fronting that he cares and is understanding and telling her that she'd running after something they'll never kill, evil or convert everyone to christianity. "Black is the kiss the touch of the serpants son it's not the mark or the scar that makes you one" saying to the nun that the way he looks has nothing to do with him being evil and the obvious part "Give me a reason to believe" and the book she gave him: a bible. Boom. 10. Hang 'em High - very histirical, hardcore song. 11. It's Not A Fashion Statement, It's A F--kin' Deathwish - really good intro, nice guitar. A bit like the Jetset Life. 12. Cemetery Drive - My fav. song. Great lyrics. It's less hardcore-emo. It's just emo. 13. I Never Told You What I Do For A Living - very emo song. All the gun's a shots in the head. It's a great song to end the album with. Last lyrics; 'They gave us 2 shots in the back of the head, & we're all. Dead. Now.' That's the end. // 9

Overall Impression: I still think the band's a little bit like The Used. But they're really great. Gerard sings in a very histirical way, and I love it. I love the sound, it's great when you're in a hyperactive, emo-mood. I like all the songs on it. If the album would be stolen, I'd buy it again. It's a really good one. So it's worth the money. // 9

Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge Reviewed by: Tilleh, on april 16, 2007

Sound: In general not all I was expecting to hear when I bought the album, it was much noisier and less melodic than I was expecting. From songs such as The Ghost Of You and Interlude you go to I'm Not Okay, which is a jump from a melodic, relatively quiet song to something that's extremely loud and very, very angry sounding song. I wasn't expecting anything I got when I bought this CD, but after listening to it a few times I started to hear the outstanding guitars, and the emotion in Gerard's vocals almost all the way through. And that laugh of his at the end of 'you knwo what they do to guys like us in prison'. // 9

Lyrics: Angry, emotional, heartfelt. that's Punk, emo and well, emo again I guess. They merged together two genre's of music and created a new one emo-punk-rock. The vocals get a high rating because when you listen you can hear the emotion in Gerard's voice, which I already commented on, but the lyrics play a large part in how emotional the vocals CAN be put across as. 'Never comin' home, never comin' home' anyone can write them, but it takes a certain type of person to be able to sing them with the required emotion. OK, so maybe Gerard's vocals aren't the most melodic on this album, but they blend in with the guitars and other music extremely well. // 9

Overall Impression: I bought three albums at the same time, this one, Bullet For MY Valentine The Poison and Lostprophets Liberation Transmission, I'm not sure which one I've listened to more, this or Lostprophets, likely this one, but I couldn't compare this to anything by anyone else, and I wouldn't like to compare it in any kind of detail at all to The Black Parade. the songs which impressed me most were obviously Helena and I'm Not Okay, those were the two I heard which made me want to buy the album, but sicne I've been impressed by The Ghost Of You and Thanks You For The Venom, along with To The End. What draws me to Thank You For The Venom is the dity guitar sound at the beginning of it. what do I love? the gritty down and dity guitar sound of the whole album. I coulcn't be happy if I didn't have a copy of this, even if it was on the computer and my CD went missing I would save my money and buy a enw copy, even if that meant that when I found my original I had two, I wouldn't care. // 10

Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge Reviewed by: nfldguitarist, on february 25, 2008

Sound: I can't believe I bought this CD, the sound on it is a band trying to be a hard rock band but unfortunaley can't pull off the sound or look. There pop infused post-hardcore sound is tiring, boring and after listening to 2 songs I feel like I have heard them all. The guitars are catchy but lack the agression that a rock bands guitars should have, the album is just boring and I can't seem to get into it. After owning it for a year I feel no need to listen to it. The production was great. Everything comes in as clear as a bell, even the bass is audible. Whoever produced this is definetly getting a bonus from MCR. Overall I appreciate the attempt at a hard rock sound but all I get is heavier than norm Pop-punk band. // 4

Lyrics: The lyrics are boring on just about everyother song except for a notible 2. "Helena" is an emotionally deprived peace of gothic poetry and when I first heard it I cried because it reminded me of my grandmother. Some of it may be corny or rushed but overall boring music but poetic lyrics in Helena. The other song I actually laghed when I heard it. "You know what they do to guys like us in Prison." If ound hilarious. Again boring music but the lyrics were funny as hell. Overall I would listen to this song as poem more than anything. Gerard Way has an annoying voice. His range is good for this time when most of the "rock" singers nowadays can't sing at all live. I'm glad that he takes singing seriously in his band. A lot of it is very noisey and whiney to me, like from first to last with a tweaked vocal performance. Overall it's nice for the attempt but I would stick to ballads Gerard, stick to ballads. // 2

Overall Impression: I haven't rally heard any other albums By MCR but I did not like the album, it is a poser album. It's nice to see a bnd take there music as something more than money but it's still just bad. I would compare it to a well produced super lite St. Anger. Obviously this band is not in the same genre as Metallica but they have nothing on this bands playing ability either. The Only songs I really listen to are Helena and I'm not Okay which are songs I find barley listenable. I wouldn't buy the album again and I would probably pay someone to steal it from me. // 3

Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge Reviewed by: lao123, on january 28, 2009

Sound: The album has a wonderful sound, and after listening to The Black Parade, it completly changed what of MCR I liked. It is a far more agressive, and punk sound, and the kind of energy put in is just so much more invigourating. The guitars have catchy riffs and solos, I love playing them all the time. The story to it, is about a man and a woman. I can't remember to much, but there are a lot of violent and bloody themes. It is also the second part of a storyline, the first part narrated in MCR's first album. My favourite song is 'You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us Is In Prison. It starts of with a simple clean guitar riff, then the ssecond comes in with a catchy riff. The chorus is heavy, hard and energetic. The second verse has the same format as the first, but the vocals are much more 'insane'. The solo is wonderful, with a wah or phaser effect. I love the screaming at the end. An innovative way to end a song compared to holding a note. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are rather good, and with violent themes suit the violent music. Gerard has a wonderful voice, and has much improved since the first album. The way he sings, with lots of screams and crys works well live, and can get a crowd worked up. Gerard writes good lyrics as well, and this album has my favourite themes, when playing these songs I just wish I could sing them that well myself. // 10

Overall Impression: It isn't near being a rock classic, but they pulled off an album that I respect much, and musically is they're most 'rock' album. I love that the songs are full of energy, and sound much better live than all they're others. There is nothing I don't like about it, and were it stolen I would buy it again, even though I could burn it onto a CD. Overall, my favourite album ever, but I know it won't be for everyone, but for me I love it! // 10

Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge Reviewed by: Alienepidemic25, on april 24, 2009

Sound: To many people, Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge is My Chemical Romance's best album, including myself. The screamo and punk rock styles used appeal to an enormous percent of the population. The album was supposedly based on two lovers fighting to be together. "Helena" was written as a tribute to Gerard and Mikey's grandmother. Ray Toro's skill as a lead guitarist improved through this album, as did Mikey's on bass. Both included more complicated riffs or solos in the songs. Frank was always great as a rythm guitarist and backing vocalist. Also the way that Ray and Frank harmonize with Gerard is amazing. Great examples of this are on "I'm Not Okay," "Helena", "Thank You For the Venom," and "Hang 'Em High." I personally noticed a change in sound from the previous album, and their first, "I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love." There was more passion. Most of the songs weren't just screaming (which I enjoy) or nonsense lyrics. They actually meant something. // 7

Lyrics: I think that Gerard did a great job in sychronizing hhis vocals with the music. If you listen to it carefully, it sounds like he is the only person that can sing it and make it sound that good. No one else can pull that off but him. It's like Axl Rose. There is not a single human being on the earth that can sing like him. The lyrics to some of the songs didn't make any sense to me. I don't think that it matters though, because Gee makes it work. Some of the songs were kind of violent. These referred to headshots, bloody gunfights, and angels cutting tongues out. In my opinion, the lyrics could be better. Me saying that doesn't turn me against My Chem, but they have already written three albums straight about death. I just think that Gee needs new inspiration. Other than that, five stars // 9

Overall Impression: The most impressive songs, overall, would be "Helena,""Thank You For The Venom," "I Never Told You What I Do For A Living," "I'm Not Okay(I Promise)," and "The Ghost Of You." In particular, "The Ghost of You" and "Helena" sounded like no other song that the quintet had ever written. In my opinion, Gerard sang them with more feeling. None of the much enjoyed screaming was present in either one of them. It really doesn't compare to any other albums by any other artists. It could possiibly compare to the succes of The Black Parade, but other than that, nothing can touch it. I hate nothing about it. There isn't really anything wrong with it, that is, if you are a true My Chemical Romance fan. I love Ray Toro's guitar sections the most. // 10

Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 31, 2009

Sound: This album follows a post-hardcore sound. Often regarded as a sell out, but in fact the songs on the first album were rough so the songs on this album have been polished up. But yes this album does lean slightly towards pop-punk but most of it takes the post-hardcore sound of the 1st album. The guitar sound is great. Ray Toro and Frank Iero have two different styles and these styles work together. Ray Toro is an extremly under rated guitarist. It was also the last album to feature Matt Pelissier, a great drummer but they picked up a drummer just as good, named Bob Bryar. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on the album are dark, in a hopeful way. Gerard Way is a great lyricist. Listen to this album closely and you will agree with me. Also, Gerard Way is an excellent singer. He can break into screaming anytime. People may call the lyrics emo, it isn't emo. His lyrics mean something, unlike most bands. A lot of people will call it emo, I call it Gerard Way being a great lyricist. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is completly original. I have never heard anything like it, it has bee compaired to In Love And Death by The Used but I've listened to both many times, they're two very different and brilliant albums and the only similarity is The Used and MCR are both Post-Hardcore. In my opinion it is the best album I have heard, and every time I listen to it it's like a new album every time. The music is timeless and Well Written. Recommended tracks: Helena, You Know That They do To Guys Like Us In Prison, Hang 'Em High, It's Not A Fashion Statement, It's A Deathwish, Cemetery Drive and I Never Told You What I Do For A Living. // 10

More My Chemical Romance reviews rating latest review