How To Call A Bluff Review

artist: my favorite highway date: 08/07/2009 category: compact discs
my favorite highway: How To Call A Bluff
Released: Jul 13, 2008 (independent)/ May 5, 2009 (Virgin Records)
Genre: Pop rock
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
How To Call A Bluff Reviewed by: freakyfangirl90, on august 07, 2009

Sound: The sound of the band is reminiscent of The Fray, and the music switches between piano and guitar driven. They had quite a few upbeat songs, but included a few slow ballads. This album was rereleased this year, so it has a few tracks that weren't previously on the CD. // 9

Lyrics: My overall impression of the lyrics were that they were very real. Unlike many lyrics today, they held a bigger meaning. For instance, on their fifth track, the band tells listeners that "nothing's bigger than love". In the band's single from the CD, "Say So", there is one line that states "She takes me up to ten, but she leaves me at eleven", which is an understandable and original line. David Cook, the singer, has a very distinct voice that can be very calm in even the most upbeat songs. // 10

Overall Impression: In comparison to other albums, this song is filled with many great tracks, as well a a few weak points. It certainly ranks higher up in the sincere writing and catchy melodies. My personal favorite songs from the album would be "Getaway Car", which begins with an immediately grabbing piano intro and continues drawing you in with the lyrics. One of my other favorites is "Steel City", which is a tribute to their hometown, Pittsburgh. It is one of the few ballads in the CD and can certainly be considered a strong point. I love that nearly all of the songs have some kind of message that can be distributed. If this were stolen/lost, I would definitely consider this worth buying again. // 9

Comments