Making Dens Review

mystery jets: Making Dens
Release Date: Mar 7, 2006
Label: WEA International
Genres: Indie Pop, Indie Rock
Making Dens is filled with quirky, interesting pop songs, but each seems to be in a different style from the others.
 8.4
 7.7
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Making Dens Reviewed by: Zoas Wooten, on august 16, 2007

Sound: The main strength of this album is it's sound as it such a wide range of it and each song is packed with different layers and instruments. However there isn't enough variety of it from one song to the next, although the sound is excellent in each of the songs, the sound is the same in each as well. See Overall impression for more information on the sound of this album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are far from normal here, which can be a good thing but sometimes you can't help thinking the band have gone too far into the realms of madness with some of the lyrics. Getting the balance right can be hard. Telling a story is easy, making up random nonsense is easy, however getting the right proportions of both allowing a discrete story to be told, whilst allowing for a certain amount of ridiculousnes is not. An example of the band missing out on this is during the pre-chorus in 'Little Bag of Hair'; 'Ice cream blender, pocket money spender, off-chart behaviour, granulated banana flavour.' The only possible meaning of this is that it could be talking about what I little child likes but only very, very, slightly. // 8

Overall Impression: My favourite song is without doubt 'Soluble In Air'. It's just wonderful. They have got so many different layers to this piece (in the introduction alone I can hear at least eight very different instruments each playing distinguishable parts)yet it does not ruin it or go over the top. It manages a fast-pace as well as being gentle, plus the main tune is liable to get stuck into your head. The only bad thing I'd have to say about this album is that there are too many nothing songs that don't have strong enough melodies. This is an impressive debut and I hope the band will continue to make more albums as they deserve to go on to bigger and better things. I strongly recommend 'Making Dens'. // 9

More Mystery Jets reviews rating latest review