Dreamcrusher Review

8.4
 8.7
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Dreamcrusher Reviewed by: metaldud536, on may 09, 2008

Sound: What we have here is a solid album by a Finnish metal band. Catchy choruses, melodic solos, pounding rhythms, and a hint of progressive metal. The band is labeled as melodic death metal and this album is that somewhat. Unlike their previous album there's more clean vocals especially during choruses which sometimes have that "wall of noise" style to them. The rhythm guitar and lead guitar balance themselves neatly, solos are not long and rhythm guitars are not so simple. Keyboards are also present throughout the album and it's played tastefully. The drumming is also great and blastbeats are included. Everysong is pretty memorable since there's variation in rhythms and melodies and, if you listen carefully, the rhythm guitars do all kinds of cool techniques and sound effects similar to Dragonforce not excessively. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics could use some work in some songs like in "Judgement Ride." There not exactly real deep. Generally there is a lack of lyrics in some songs. You'll fine yourself listening to one song and then hear the first verse again after a solo and ask yourself "Not done yet?" but that shouldn't be much of a problem. The lyrics in the choruses are great. I guarantee they will stick in your head. The vocalist uses a mix of death growls with clean vocals. His death growl is similar to Alexi Laiho's but a little lighter. His clean vocals are not the greatest but they're not bad either and do sound unqiue. // 7

Overall Impression: This band has it's own sound. The album is like a hybrid of many different genres of metal. Many memorable songs can be heard here, like the opening track "Dreamcrusher" with it's catchy choruses and fast rhythms, "Judgement Ride" with some great melodies, "P.I.B" with it's great guitar rhythms, and "Like I'd Care" with the most upbeat guitar solo I've heard in metal so far. The only thing I don't like is the lack of lyrics in some songs but again, not really a problem. So check this out if you like different genres of metal. // 8

Comments