The Code Is Red... Long Live The Code Review

napalm death: The Code Is Red... Long Live The Code
Release Date: Apr 19, 2005
Label: Century Media
Genres: Grindcore, Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal
while most certainly not likely to reconvert old-school grindcore purists, this CD shows Napalm Death in finer form than arguably any of their '90s efforts and lacking little in terms of the uncompromising fury and intelligence that helped make their name.
review (1) 11 comments vote for this album:
The Code Is Red... Long Live The Code Reviewed by: Oblivious16037, on november 14, 2006

Sound: What is there to say about Napalm Death? They are a heavy and in-your-face style of metal and this CD is no exception. While the songs on this CD are mostly short (52 seconds being the shortest song, whith lyrics too) there is no reason to frown apoun "The Code Is Red... Long Live The Code." The guitar and the drums are the instruments that stand out on this album. The drums are relentles and don't let up throughout most of the CD. The guitars are heavily distorted but does not give off a "power chord bashing" sound. What I mean by that is that they play so many power chords so lound with so much distortaion you can't hear what's going on. The guitar in this CD is heavy, but is able to be a little medolic also. If your into bands like this, there is no problem with the sound. // 10

Lyrics: I had troubles understanding what the vocals said in this songs, I actualy had to look most of them up. When I did look up the lyrics, I was a little shocked to find very little language and very few crude topics. By the band name, you would figure that this band would write lyrics about death and pain and what not, but they don't. You can tell that the lyrics have thought behind them and could possibly be dirived from past experiences. The singer mostly has a yelling type vocalization throughout the CD but sometimes there is added in background screams, like in "The Great And The Good." I will tell you now that I was not really big on this kind of vocals but I will also say, they grew on me and I have come to like it. // 8

Overall Impression: I took a risk buying this CD. A friend of mine told me that they were good so I picked up the CD and they were a lot heavier than I expected. Don'tget me wrong, I still like it and I would buy another one of their CDs. This is one of the heaviest CDs I own, along with "Burn The Priest." This is Napalm Death's newest CD and I have never heard any of their older stuff so I can't tell you if this is better or worse. My personal favorite songs on the CD are "Instruments of Persuation", "All Hail The Grey Dawn", and "Climate Controllers." I would recomend this CD to anyone who is looking for something heavy or to any Napalm Death fan. // 9

More Napalm Death reviews rating latest review