Utopia Banished Review

Label: Relativity/Earache
 9.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Utopia Banished Reviewed by: iommi600, on february 17, 2012

Sound: "Utopia Banished" is the fourth album by Napalm Death, released in 1992. In this album, the band continues the mix of grindcore with death metal elements that they had started on the previous album, "Harmony Corruption". I would say that the grindcore elements on this album are more evident than in Harmony Corruption, though. The band's line up consisted of Mark "Barney" Greenway on vocals, Shane Embury on bass, Mitch Harris and Jesse Pintado on guitars and Danny Herrera on drums, following the departure of Mick Harris. Speaking about the album's sound, this is one great album. The riffs are awesome and crazy, played on a heavily downtuned guitar. Bass lines are not really something out of this world, but they're good. Drumming is just nuts. Blast beats, insane fills, and heavy beats crushes everything in their path throughout the whole album. Really great. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics on this album are really in Napalm Death's standards, fiercely criticising alienation, corruption and many other wrong things going on in the society. I really admire their lyrics, they always come up with some great lines to be throwed up by vocalist Mark "Barney" Greenway. And, speaking of which, I think it's something obvious that this guy is the best vocalist Napalm Death ever had. No wonder that this guy joined the band on their third album, "Harmony Corruption", and still remains with them to this day, despite the many line-up changes Napalm Death went through. His voice is just insane and low-pitched. And he's totally capable of insanely scream the lyrics, and still make them audible. Awesome. // 9

Overall Impression: Well, enough said. This is an awesome album. In my opinion, one of the best albums by Napalm Death. I would point "I Abstain" and "Idiosyncratic" as the best songs here, but honestly, this album does not really have a single let down, to me. This is an album that I would recommend to both grindcore and death metal fans. It's really one perfect mix of these two genres. I will sure thing buy it again if I lose it or something. // 9

More Napalm Death reviews rating latest review