Onset Of Purification Review

necrophagist: Onset Of Purification
Release Date: Nov 25, 2003
Label: Willowtip
Genres: Rock
Stunning, sometimes viciously melodic shredding interpersed across madly complex time-signatures and mentally fractured and uber-heavy riffs.
 Lyrics: 8.8
 9.2
 9.2
 9.1
Onset Of Purification Reviewed by: ShadowsFall4All, on december 08, 2006

Sound: This technical brutal death metal band from Germany has unique sounding in their riffs. Most death metal I know bands play really brutal crunchy and intense riffing which I like. But Necrophagist has orginality of most Death Metal bands. The riffs are fast diminished and the solos include very intense shredding solos of alternate/speed picking, legato licks, deminished lick, sweep picking or arpeggios, and two hand tapping. Necrophagist first plays a sick riff then jumps into a very sick lick which makes it sound very interesting. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are good and it's very interesting to look at, and Muhammad Suicmez is sick, because He can do a very low death growl, and he do it when he is shredding. I mean how talented is that, that's like wicked hard to do and he can do it without breaking a sweat and it's even more interesting to watch him live and stuff. // 10

Overall Impression: Necrophagist is like Yngwie Malmsteen in death metal style because some of the riffs in the songs reminds of Yngwie Malmsteen and I'm assumming that Necrophagist followed him. If you like Death Metal, this is the album that everyone should get. I would never ever lose this album because album is so good that you can't get enough. // 10

Onset Of Purification Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 25, 2010

Sound: Muhammed Suimez is a Turkish-German guitar prodigy from Karlsruhe, Germany. This is his project, dates back to year 1999. The one-word description for this album can vary from "gruesome" to "awesome", both good and wisely picked words to tell the first impression of any death metal fan. If we want to go further to the roots of these adjectives, we may see that every single detail about the background of this modern metal monolith contributes positively to the impression of the listener. The most prominent of these facts is that every instrument heard in this record is played by Muhammed himself. All guitars, basses(except few tracks that were played by a former member and a guest guitarist) and drum programming is carried out by the man. The fact that the complex riff structure placed on the odd time signatures(characteristics of technical death metal) have emerged from a Muhammed 18 years old(around year 1993) is what makes this work even more beautiful and respectable. To talk about the guitar work: This is Death Metal. In this genre, there are no limits to what dedicated axe bearers can make, but Muhammed takes these limits even further. Heavily influenced by Yngwie Malmsteen in his youth, Muhammed wrote flawlessly precise and creative guitar solos(played with disturbingly perfect synchronization) on maybe the most insane time signatures/rhythms. Being a self-taught player adds even more to his style hallmarked by techniques such as sweep-picking and two-handed tapping. The only thing that can be called as a flaw is the poor sound of drum machine in the original release I have, which is later removed by real drum tracks by drummer Hannes Grossmann in the 2004 re-issue. // 9

Lyrics: When you have a look at the lyrics, you can easily see that Muhammed is heavily influenced by early Carcass records such as Symphonies of Sickness in terms of lyric writing. Lyrics are gory and dark, and even hideous(as my father calls it); the perfect fit for the music genre. Muhammed himself stated in an interview that the listener should not stick with the lyrics for long. Among the included subject matter there are medicine(mainly pathology, check out Bill Steer's med schoool influenced lyrics for Carcass and see the astounding resemblance), dismantling a dead baby(Mutilate the Stillborn) and even some Biblical content(Extreme Unction). My favourite off this record is Extreme Unction where Muhammed displays his vocal talent at best. Deep guttural vocals have always been the first choice of Death Metal and among the pioneers of this style we can count Chris Barnes and Mark Greenway, but singing in low guttural tone and playing insanely complex riffs at the same time is a completely different thing. After all, Muhammed's vocals are perfect within the music and through the obscene lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: As one of the strongest releases of modern metal in recent history, Onset of Putrefaction(and yes, it is Putrefaction) is highly influencing and memorable. My favourite picks off this album would be: 01. Extreme Unction: Key features are the bass sweep entering, usage of guttural vocals and the trade-off solo with the guest guitarist Bjrn Voellmer. 02. Foul Body Autopsy: Amazing thing is the fast sweep-picked arpeggios concluded with a harmonized legato section in the middle of the song. Good luck working your ass out to play that part. 03. Fermented Offal Discharge: Tempting thing is the 4 minutes 42 seconds of exceedingly complex riff arranging and the classic influenced solo. Not one lapse. As I may have said before, this album is a rather original and creative release, compared to some of those Atheist wannabes. The guitar work may throw cold water on your dreams of becoming a new age shredder, but it may also impress you in creative manner. It also may lead to tuning changes(in this case, one step down; DGCFAD) if you are a guitarist craving for Necrophagist practice. A piece that shall be amongst the favourite of any metal fan. Enjoy every second! // 10

Onset Of Purification Reviewed by: Republican Punk, on march 30, 2007

Sound: Onset of Putrefaction is a fantastic example of modern technical death metal. The riffs are never repetetive and the quality of guitar playing is beyond belief. The neoclassical elements really help define the sound of Necrophagist into something completely unique and enjoyable to listen to. All of the instruments were recorded by Muhammad Suicmez as well as the drum machine which is why this album gets an 8 for sound. It is however, the best self-recorded album I have ever heard. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are very interesting. They display a very good vocabulary and an obsession with dead flesh. The lyrics to most of the songs on the album are very comical to read because, although brutal, they are very disgusting and graphic. The vocals are good and low but don't have much variation, although he is singing and playing incredibly technical guitar at the same time. The vocal patterns go very well with the music however. // 7

Overall Impression: For a first album, this is indeed a masterpiece. Necrophagist managed to go from having a single member during the recording of this album, to being a highly respected band in the death metal community. The songs on this album are very brutal and technical and this album is a must for anyone who likes death metal, neoclassical, or just insane guitar. // 9

Onset Of Purification Reviewed by: PhillCantu93, on november 09, 2009

Sound: When I first heard this album, I almost pissed myself. At the time, I was just getting into technical deathmetal, and after hearing "Fermented Offal Discharge", I knew I was in on something good. Muhammed Suicmez's ability to fuse deathmetal with Yngwie Malmsteen-esque solos (Suicmez pulling it off with superior phrasing and dynamics, of course) simply left me mouth agape and amazed. Although it took me a while to get used to the guitar tone--which lacked distortion--and the way the riffs were arranged, it gave me an idea of how techdeath should sound: raw, creative, and not lacking emotion. Then I found out this album was recorded entirely by Muhammed himself, which made me respect this band even more. I'll say this again; the solos are insane. They're very beautiful for music about gore, and pretty tough to play as well (though nothing Rusty Cooley would stifle over, it's great regardless). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty brutal, as you can hear the Carcass influence in some of the songs. They were written in a way that fit's just well with the music, further intensifying the feeling of the song. If you're dumb or you have no knowledge of pathology, you might not get them though, as the lyrics are considerably high-diction for talking about gore and violence. Also, you're gonna have the pre-chorus to "Extreme Unction" stuck in your head for awhile if you hear this album; a testament to the fact that these lyrics can be potentially catchy as well as brutal. // 8

Overall Impression: This is definitely something different for technical deathmetal, contrary to popular opinion. The classical-inspired guitar solos that utilize fantastic phrasing and dynamics as well as shred is something you don't see too often (in comparsion to 21st century bands like Brain Drill who basically play their intruments as fast as possible out of disregard to song-writing), even nowadays when techdeath is very prominent in the underground. Some of my personal favorite songs on this album include; "Foul Body Autopsy" (pretty brutal song, cool solo as well), "Intestinal Incubation" (awesome solo, plus the riffs are kind of scary), "Advanced Corpse Tumor" (see previous song listed), "Extreme Unction" (considerably catchy song, fun to headbang to), and "Fermented Offal Discharge" (best solo ever). There's a reason this album is given so much hype by fans of technical deathmetal; it's simply great. The song writing is well executed for a pretty brutal sound, the solos are overwhelming, and the riffs make you feel like you're in the middle of what the song is desribing; be it doing an autopsy on a foul body, breathing in a casket, mutilating the stillborn, or having worms incubated in your intestine. I'm glad I got this CD from my friend. Heck, I'm glad I got into this band to begin with, because if I hadn't, I'd be deprived of some fantastic music! // 9

More Necrophagist reviews rating latest review
+ Epitaph 9.4 10/30/2009