Comes A Time Review

neil young: Comes A Time
Released: Oct 21, 1978
Genre: Country Rock, Folk Rock, Rock
Label: Reprise
Comes a Time is a 1978 album by Neil Young, and a return to the country/folk rock sound of Harvest (1972).
 8.8
 8.3
 9.2
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Comes A Time Reviewed by: kttunstallator3, on november 12, 2009

Sound: Neil Young shows what "soft stuff" he's made of in this mostly acoustic album, set aside from his electric work like "Ohio", "Cinnamon Girl", "Hey Hey My My (into the black)"... Young holds nothing back and a session of storytelling is in the happening. // 9

Lyrics: Neil is often blunt in the message that he wants to convey. And when he says it, he means it. Sometimes it's very obvious what he is saying throughout the lyrics (for instance "Needle and the Damage Done" is about good people getting taken by drugs). But, nonetheless the lyrics are craftly structured and as a folk musician in this type of atmosphere, he makes the cut. As far as singing goes, in my opinion, he gets by. Not the greatest singer in the world he sure makes up for it with his passion, style, and skill. As a matter of fact, when Neil was starting out as a newbie musician, many people thought that he couldn't make it in the music industry. Even his father showed no support for his desire to make music but got him a job as a store stocker. So I'd say that it depends on your taste. // 6

Overall Impression: Most comparisons to Neil Young would include: Buffalo Springfield, Crosby Stills & Nash, Joni Mitchell, Ritchie Havens, somewhat of the folk 60s 70s era. Some "stars" that shine throughout the album are: the self-titled "Comes a Time" with Nicolette Larson as backing vocals and the fiddle is in the beginning. Others include: "Look out For My Love", "Human Highway", "Lotta Love", "Four Strong Winds", and "Motorcycle Mama" the electric guitar song! I love the fact that Neil does what he does best: acoustic folk, even though he can do some major damage on electric too. It's back to basics on this one; if you're interested in acoustic and is starting out with Neil Young, I strongly recommend to buy it. // 10

More Neil Young reviews rating latest review