Living With War Review

neil young: Living With War
Release Date: May 9, 2006
Label: Reprise
Genres: Folk-Rock, Singer/Songwriter, Album Rock, Hard Rock
Living with War stands as a very strong, effective Neil Young album that will continue to have a punch long after the George W. Bush administration has faded into the history books.
 8.2
 6.3
Living With War Reviewed by: Mcut202, on july 13, 2006

Sound: This is Neil Young's best effort in nearly a decade. The Record was mad eto attack the policies of the Bush administration and it works. Neil uses a three piece band, him on guitar, a bass guitar, drummer, and there is even a little bit of trumpet thrown into the mix. Breaking away from his folk roots like on Prarie Wind Neil instead uses the hard hitting grungy rock that we all love him for. The guitar solos are not Neil's best but this album wasn't really about the musical aspect. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are the most sincere and passionate iI have ever heard. This has to be one of the best protest albums ever recorded wether you like Bush or not you can't deny that fact. The lyrics fit the music perfectly. When Neil's angry, the music's angry. When Neil's sad, the music's sad. Neil Young has to be one of Rock's best vocalists and he still shines in his '60s. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said above this is probably one of the definitive protest albums. All the songs hit you hard. A few of the stand-outs are, Living With war, Let's Impeach the President, and Roger And Out. I love everything about this album. There is not a single thing that I hate. If it were stolen I would definatley go out and buy several more copies. Just to be sure I had backup CDs. // 10

Living With War Reviewed by: That_Pink_Queen, on july 20, 2006

Sound: This album is a nice trip back to early young stuff, you have the saturated gritty guitar tone, the songs are well written, and the whole band sounds good. It's a pretty simple three piece setup, but with the addition of a brass section sometimes. And of course, the signature Neil Young harmonica. Sound wise, it's excellent. Nice and down to earth. Not quite sure what the hell all the trumpets and stuff are doing, but I like them, they're a nice departure from something you usually hear. // 10

Lyrics: Neil Young is back with his wierd voice again, you can love it or you can hate it. That part is up to you. Lyrics are well worked out, certainly fit in and everything. They actually keep you listening to the words. If you don't pay attention to the lyrics you're missing out. You really don't get the feeling Neil Young is just jumping the bandwagon, too much effort has gone into this, everything is worked out. It's seething with sarcasm, and cynicism. // 10

Overall Impression: So far I don't really have any favorite songs; I haven't had it long enough to really decide. All the songs seemed worked out, and none are obviously just worse. It's definetely a good album, and if it somehow disappeared, I'd get a new copy for sure. I personally agree with the general message, but even if you didn't I still think the music is quality, and it's enjoyable. // 10

More Neil Young reviews rating latest review