Never Enough Review

Never Enough: Never Enough
Release Date: Nov 20, 2007
Label: Corporate Punishment
Genres: Alternative Metal, Industrial Metal, Heavy Metal
This 2007 release is not grunge or post-grunge, but Never Enough thrive on dark, troubled introspection in a way that is very typical of post-'80s rock.
 4.7
 8.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Never Enough Reviewed by: the_messenger66, on january 28, 2008

Sound: Never Enough sprung, mostly from the depths of the recently broken up rock/alternative/thrash band, Eighteen Visions. With their ex-guitarist Keith Barney and ex-drummer Trevor Friedrich, alongside Lylah's vocalist/guitarist Norman Matthew, they recorded a captivating self-titled album. Released on December 4th, 2007, and I bought it that day, after hearing "Poison Heart." The first track, "The Craving" sets the mood with a mysterious mash of percussion, synthesizers, with a simple melody. Then throwing it into the catchy "To the Bottom" with a solid riff to dance to, while harboring a little of Marilyn Manson-sounding tunes. The record as a whole seems to have mostly drums and synthesizer and not as much as guitar as I would like, but that doesn't mean guitar's not there. It is defiantly there, but the effects on the guitar make it sound much like a synthesizer, making it hard sometimes to tell the difference between the two. Never the less, it's a great listen to. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically, it can feel a little repetitive. Not as in every song's the same, but the chorus line is repeat many times in some of the tracks. But it's not something one would usually mind in this case. "This is an outlet for all the love, rage and sadness in our lives. We know there are people out there that are just like us... Passionate and lonely... People who still truly care about what's going on in the world around them and not just what's right in front of them." Yes, most of the songs deal with loneliness, love, but face other issues as well. Insecurity (The Devil I am), Rage (No One Cares) and one notable dropkick at the church in the song, "On Sunday." At the beginning they have a 33 second recording of a woman testifying against her church. "And I believe it was meant only for, the insiders in the church office building but it got out as a lot of things do uh, get leaked, in uh, Utah, especially in Salt Lake and Proval. Where he basically said that one of the greatest dangers to the church were gays, feminists, and intellectuals, and uh, there were a large group of us who fit into these categories, it was like a slap in the face. It was like, 'We don't want you.'" and from there Norman comes in singing about the flaws of the church. And towards the end of the song, we have the minister (I think) defending himself, "I suppose, uh, I've, I think I remember saying those things..if it's in print I said it. And uh, th-that's, part of the alert. Alerting, simply because down the road there's unhappiness." Singing-wise, Norman is pretty good, but unfortunately to 18v fans, he doesn't really scream. // 7

Overall Impression: The most notable songs off this record include (or at least my favorites) are "Poison Heart" "On Sunday" "Where the Rain Never Stops" and their cover of Tears of Fears's "Shout." Most covers of originals are just ok, but this one left me with, "They pulled it off, and they did it fantastically." If this were lost or stolen, I would buy it again. It was worth the wait, and the money. Never Enough's beats and and catchy atmosphere stays in my mind for hours after I'm done listening to them. // 9

Comments