Enemies Of Reality Review

nevermore: Enemies Of Reality
Released: July 29, 2003
Genre: Rock
Styles: Heavy Metal
Enemies of Reality has more elements of a nasty little thrash record.
 9.6
 9.7
 9.5
Enemies Of Reality Reviewed by: big bear, on june 28, 2004

Sound: Someone told me that the guitar sound of this album is similar to a "ton of crack-crazed electric eels being dumped on your head" and I must agree with them. But don't be fooled into thinking that this is a Death Metal disc, because it's not. Far from it, in fact. The sound is traditional, classic heavy metal! In the vein of Pantera, Metallica or Maiden. If you think of Metallica's Master Of Puppets album recorded with Bruce Dickinson on LSD and Meshuggah's guitar sound, youre some way there. The excellent lead guitar playing of Jeff Loomis shines through on this album,as does Warrel Dane's distinctive vocal style, especially in the ballad "Tommorow Turned Into Yesterday". Loomis's solos are second to none. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are also brilliant on this album, very thoughtful, although undeniably bleak. There is a common theme running through the record, but you'll have to read them to figure it out, can you guess who the Enemies Of Reality are? The only complaint I have about them is occasional nastiness ("Heroes and rapists, they all have nice faces" from "Who Decides")and the occasional repeating of phrases and words, although the latter was probably deliberate. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a great album by a highly skilled and extremely underrated band, and will surely become an underground classic. Buy it. Now. // 10

Enemies Of Reality Reviewed by: Bored to Tears, on may 05, 2008

Sound: The original version of this album presents a rough sounding album. Nevermore had some production problems on the original release. I forget exactly what happend, but they were low on money and couldn't fix it up correctly. It still is a good album, but I prefer the remasterd CD better (released in 2005). I am a huge fan of Nevermore, and having listend to all of their albums to date, I say that this album is the heaviest so far. It starts off with the title track, "Enemies of Reality". It is a really heavy song that slows down only for the chorus. The next two songs "Ambivalent" and "Never Purify" continue to deliver head banging moments untill the album slows down for 4 minutes and 34 seconds with "Tommorrow Turned into Yesterday" where some of Dane Warrel's best vocal talents are displayed. "I, Voyager", a single from the album, is one of my favorite Nevermore songs. Jeff Loomis plays along side the drums with an off-beat riff that is simple, but really effective for the song. The next song "Create the Infinite" is another really heavy song and "Who Decides" follows up nicely with a face-paced intro that leads nicely into a slower, unique riff. "Noumenon", the next song on the album is an odd song that some people won't like, but I think it was a necessary part of the album. It stresses further the point of the album, and ends with a sitar, which is always cool. I like to think of the next and last song as a Part II of "Noumenon", as it repeats the lyric "there is no stronger drug than reality" also. "Seed Awakening", the song described above, starts off with a cool guitar riffs and then the whole band bursts in after a neat little tremelo effect. It provides a nice close to the album as it is yet another heavy song. The song also ends with a sitar to bring the album to an end. Overall, the album nicely delivers a lot of head banging moments while still having some slower songs to bring a nice tempo to the album. Everything is spot-on in this album, from the either hated or loved vocal style of Warrel Dane, to the amazing guitar riffs and solos provided by Jeff Loomis (which are some of the best that Nevermore has ever done), and the great bass and drum work. // 10

Lyrics: I think the lyrics are some of the best out of all Nevermore albums. Warrel Dane really shines on this album, delivering a great vocal proformance. Various lyrics are constantly repeated in the songs, from "they can't reach heaven" spookily spoken before some songs, and "there is no stronger drug than reality" in the last two songs, it really seperates itself from other albums. The lyrics are deep, well thought out, and make you think about what they mean. Straight-forward lyrics suck! // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I think this is one of Nevermore's, if not the most, brilliant albums to date. I can thoroughly listen to the whole CD and not skip one song just because they are that good. On some albums there's usually one or two songs that you just go "eh, that song sucks, I don't feel like listening to it", but not on this album. It's really heavy and unique, definatly unlike any album I've ever heard before. If my CD got destroyed somehow, I'd definatly get it again. Great album. // 10

More Nevermore reviews rating latest review
+ Dead Heart In A Dead World 9.6 09/14/2010