This Godless Endeavor Review

nevermore: This Godless Endeavor
Release Date: Jul 26, 2005
Label: Century Media
Genres: Heavy Metal, Power Metal,Progressive Metal, Alternative Metal
Nevermore's sixth album arrives bearing few surprises, which, for a band less accomplished or too comfortable in their niche, would generally be seen as a negative attribute.
 Lyrics: 9.6
 9.4
 9.7
This Godless Endeavor Reviewed by: EmoSlayer666, on february 08, 2006

Sound: Now who said that you have to scream your lyrics to kick ass. Who ever that was never listened to Nevermore. Nevermore straddles the line between power metal, traditional heavy metal, and the contemporary hard rock scene, eschewing the silly theatrics of the "power scene" in favor of a darker tone, while reaping the rewards of melody and the high-flying vocal range of singer Warrel Dane. This is one of the best albums I have bought in the past year and it deserves to be rocongized. This is a real dark kind renaissance kind of metal with screaming solo and heart ponding riffs. Warrel Dane really gives the album a chilling and ghostly feel to the album. I also hear a little viking metal being influenced in the solos and chouruses. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are outstanding. I can see that every word and line was taken to cosideration before being written on paper. They are meaningful and informative. They protect from such things like politics the media and religion. The Lyrics and the music blend nicely and uniformaly, you can really feel that the music helps the lyrics stand out and vice versa. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to there other albums "This Godless Endeavor" is one more step up the ladder. I love the Bone shrilling solos, and the eerie lyrics that feel like thay hover over you. This album can be great for all metal listeners but if you a fan of a more classic style of metal with a more melodic feel to the lyric this is your band and your CD. Also check out "Final Product," "Future Uncertain," "Born" and instrumental piece "The Holocaust Of Thought." Buy this album, I highly recomend it. If it were stolen or if I lost it I would go buy two more copies, one to listen and one to frame, 'cause this album is that good. // 10

This Godless Endeavor Reviewed by: DeathOfPassion, on july 17, 2006

Sound: There are only two kinds of people in the world people who have heard Godless Endeavor and people who are going to hear it. The sound the band creats is amazing it is Loomis's best work to date. Loomis is amazing at doing stupidly fast solos and smyth is awesome at playing rhythm. Warrel is by far the most skilled vocalist in modern music. I don't think any one would be able to hold the beat to a Nevermore song better than Van does. // 10

Lyrics: Ahh the lyrics Loomis and Dane being the main song writters of the band the lyrics are well above average I'm not quiet sure what there about there pretty damn awesome and catchy. Warrel Dane's vocal range is scary the only singer than matches his voice is Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden). The way Dane can get deep a Death Metal voice without the crapness and the high pitched screams are just so cool there scary. // 10

Overall Impression: Godless Endeavor is the best Nevermore album to date and one of if not my favorite album(s). My favorite songs on the album are Born, My Acid Words, Bittersweet Feast and Medicated Nation. I love everything about the album and hate nothing. Yes I would go buy another copy if lost it or if it got stolen. // 10

This Godless Endeavor Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 24, 2007

Sound: Nevermore has always been my favorite band to listen to when I want to hear a good solo, or very meaningful lyrics. The bands sound on this CD is pretty much as perfectly blended as you can get. Everything sounds absolutely perfect. Jeff Loomis really really stands out in this CD in my opinion. From his solo in "Born" to the beautiful sweeps in "This Godless Endeadvor". He also throws in some solos I would expect from him like in "Bittersweet Feast". But none the less they are top notch solos. This is one of Jeff Loomis's cleanest and most skillfull record to date. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are very deep in this cd. They vary from what the world is coming to, to the thoughts of the existance of God. Warrell Danes vocals are still extremely good, though he can't quite reach those higher notes like he could on previous cds. But his lyrics match the music to set the theme on some songs such as "A Future Uncertain" and "This Godless Endeavor". Warrell Dane did not let down on this album. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that this is the best CD I own. No other CD compares the the depth, skill, and just all-out awesomeness of this CD. I can't really give a most-impressive song because every song is flawless and well thought out. But if I had to pick one I would pick "This Godless Endeavor" because it's epic and just has this tone that starts out soft but then drives into insanity like the man the lyrics talk about. I love everything about this album, nothing is wrong with it, and there's not 1 song that I don't love on this album. I would without doubt buy this CD again if it was stolen or lost. People, if you want good solos to listen to, with a mix of meaningful lyrics and driving riffs, go buy this CD at once. It'll make you a Loomis fan I guarantee. // 10

This Godless Endeavor Reviewed by: blood_r3ign, on august 14, 2006

Sound: What a kick ass band! That was the expression I had when I first heard Nevermore's Dreaming Neon Black and to this day, that is the very same expression that I had on hearing This Godless Endeavor for the first time. To me, this is probably the guys best work musically (although the general feel of the music was something similar to that of Dead Heart In A Dead World). In this album, they went to the extreme mixing various styles of the rock genre to produce a gut-busting sound. I mean the very first track has a grind feel to it. With this album they blur the line that separates all the genres. This is the sound that makes Nevermore and This Godless Endeavor different from any other hard rock album released in recent times. // 9

Lyrics: Warrel Danem, he is what I simply call a genius. The lyrical content boosted in This Godless Endeavor is just captivating. From singing about religion to reaching the highest powers in the land(the government), Warrel shows you a perspective on things that you may not looked at in any other way. Like in the song Final Product, the opening lines are "The media loves the latest tragic suicide. They exploit it, and package it and profit from the people who die," would have ever looked at it that way? However, this is what I know Nevermore for their way of writing lyrics that reflect what they see around them. But all in all, this is great work by these guys. // 9

Overall Impression: In comparison with their previous albums, This Godless Endeavor is one of their greatest, and I can see that if they ever break up(which I hope they don't) there will be atleast 2 songs of this album on a greatest hits. The most impressive song to me is Sentient 6 and I shall quote the first line of the chorus, "Trained, I see imperfection in your race." There is too much that I like about it and so little I hate(if not anything). I think everyone can find something that they like totally about it and something that they hate most about it. For me, probably the only thing I don't really like is that it sounds similar to Dead Heart In A Dead World, but then again that's just my point of view. All in all, if I were to lose this album, I will definitely buy it back, if it is stolen, I will hunt that person and ensure they pay darely for it. This ablum if definitely a must for anyine looking for a different sound from the average hard rock. // 9

This Godless Endeavor Reviewed by: Prowler_88, on november 18, 2006

Sound: Nevermore have always sounded different to anything else available in the metal world. In This Godless Endeavour, they have taken their own complex sound (consisting of a number of styles of metal/rock) and created another masterpiece. They have combined the drive of Enemies of Reality with the emotion and depth of previous albums. They also remain unafraid of pushing themselves, Loomis' playing becoming an increasingly challenging listen, as he bounces off new guitarist Steve Smyth. His use of sweeping runs on the title track are particularly impressive, and the guitar duel on Psalm of Lydia allows the guitarists to flew their muscle, without turning into an emotionless shred fest we are often treaed to nowadays. The rhythm section is as tight as ever, and certainly part of the great drive Nevermore have behind their sound. Whilst most reviewers choose to pick specific songs as highlights on albums, this album sends me through so many emotions upon each listen, that picking highlights does not do the work justice. // 10

Lyrics: Admittedly Warrel Dane's lyrics sometimes dance on the edge of being cheesy. However, 99% of the time they are so well thought out and meaningful, that they draw you further into the depths of this glorious album, long after your ears have adjusted to the multi-layered metal sound Nevermore have honed to perfection. His vocal range is also vey impressive, and while his style is an acquired taste, his ever-growing ability cannot be questioned. Particular highlights in this department are the title track, and Sentient Number 6, a song driven by Dane's vocals. // 9

Overall Impression: Having owned this album for nine months now, I can offer a more rounded opinion of it (as opposed to going off the rails about how wonderful it is only two weeks after the purchase, like some do). Given this position, I still believe This Godless Endeavour is the most impressive, moving and wonderfully constructed album I have ever heard. Recent albums that bear some comparison include Waves of Visual Decay by Communic, a band that has clearly taken some influence from Nevermore in creating their sound, and The Hours That Remain (Mercenary). My persoanl music tastes range from blues rock through to death and black metal. Sometimes music makes you want to headbang; sometimes music makes you emotional; sometimes music is so powerful it blows your mind. The fact that Nevemore can achieve all three, often within a single song, is a testament to their unsurpassed skill in the genre that is metal (and for one listener in paricular, all music). If you remain a doubter, listen to Born before you choose to pass comment. // 10

More Nevermore reviews rating latest review
+ Dead Heart In A Dead World 9.6 09/14/2010