Catalyst Review

new found glory: Catalyst
Released: May 18, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Punk-Pop, Emo
Catalyst doesn't quite graduate New Found Glory from the punk-pop rungs.
 Lyrics: 9.4
 8.5
 9.7
 7.2
Catalyst Reviewed by: BenFoffenbock, on march 02, 2007

Sound: This is one band and one album that, like an elegant 17th century-era handlebar moustache, will take a while to grow on you, but the end result is a warm feeling of satisfaction. This is New Found Glory's (NFG) fourth studio album, and it has even become a gold-selling record. It was my first experience of NFG, and initally I was underwhelmed and, I hate to say it, quite repulsed by it. As with pretty much any review of NFG since the dawn of time, I'm going to say that I thought Jordan Pundik's voice sounded grotesque at the outset, but as you gradually become accustomed to it, it dawns on you that it is actually fantabulous, and that no one else could sing these songs better. Speaking of the vocals, they just seem to melt deliciously together with the other instruments. Although there aren't really any complicated solos to speak of other than guitar that simply follows the melody of the vocals, the fantastic bridges/breaks or whatever they're perfrom a nice job building nicely back up to the insanely catchy choruses. // 9

Lyrics: Yes, NFG aren't going to win the Nobel Prize in Literature, but honestly who cares? I know I don't. The various ditties featured on this album predominantly focus on relationships, friends and the like, with a couple of exceptions such as "I'd Kill to Fall Asleep", where Pundik voices his concerns over insomnia, and "No News is Good News", which discusses the thoroughly overused topic of commercialisation and anti-individuality setting up camp in this world. Despite the somewhat generic lyrics as long as they follow the flow of the music, can get girls to like you when they hear you play them, and simply sound snazzalicious, (and they do), then get out the crayolas and colour me tickled pink! // 9

Overall Impression: If I decided to step out for a brisk morning walk with a copy of my precious Catalyst and a low flying, CD-stealing eagle happened to wrestle it from my pathetic Kung Fu grip, you bet your sweet bippy I will be on my bike doing my darndest to chase down that NFG, hijacking terrorist with feathers. After realising that I'm not that good at climbing tress, I will be down at the Pines Music Store like grease-flavoured lightning, buying another copy or two (or seven, just to give them some money). No pussyfooting around on iTunes or anything, CDs will always be the mutts nuts for me. Oh, and I couldn't possibly pick my favourite song(s) on the album. What I will say is that it's the hottest slice of punk rock pie I've tasted for a long time (well, since their previous album hit the shops). Buy it or die. // 10

Catalyst Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 10, 2005

Sound: Instead of describing this CD's sound as a whole, I'll score and explain each song separately. 01. Intro - great, random sound, lots of energy; perfect opener.9/10 02. All Downhill From Here - perfect example of NFG's new style; has an incredibly catchy chorus. 9/10 03. This Disaster - one of the best tracks on the CD; hardish verses with a happy-sounding chorus that has some of the CD's loudest guitar work. 10/10 04. Truth Of My Youth - faster than most of the other songs; Jordan's voice almost sounds techno-ish; slows down for the chorus. 8/10 05. I Don't Wanna Know - one of NFG's first forays into slow-popish music; the chorus is catchy, but the rest of the song is too slow. 7/10 06. Your Biggest Mistake - best track on the CD; fast moving, lots of energy; short and very, very sweet. 11/10 07. Doubt Full - not one of their better efforts; it sounds like All Downhill Fron Here, but without the catchiness. 7/10 08. Failure's Not Flattering - one of the better songs; the keyboard makes it sound really unique. 10/10 09. Over The Head, Below The Knees - interesting, more intense sound; however, it just doesn't have NFG's signature energy. 8/10 10. Ending In Tragedy - my least favorite song on the CD; the chorus is decent, but it takes too long to get to it (slow verses). 6/10 11. At Least I'm Known For Something - great song that sounds like a mix of the old NFG and a hardcore band like Taking Back Sunday. 9/10 12. I'd Kill To Fall Asleep - hilarious song that successfully takes a hard, intense sound that somehow works with NFG. 9/10 13. No News Is Good News - quieter sound, the verses are all acoustic; goes well with the lyrics. 8/10 14. Who Am I - great, energetic verses; slows down for the chorus a la Chop Suey. 9/10 // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are probably Catalyst's strong point. Some of the song's lyrics, like those in This Disaster, are pretty meaningless, but songs like No News Is Good News and Who Am I have some great writing. Jordan's voice is not too annoying, and actually sounds pretty cool in some of the songs, like Truth Of My Youth. // 10

Overall Impression: Catalyst is my favorite CD of all time. New Found Glory has definately matured, but they still have the energy they've always had, unlike Good Charlotte, who "matured" and lost all traces of their former selves. // 10

Catalyst Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 21, 2004

Sound: New Found Glory has really taken it to a different level. with songs such as This Disaster. But for the ever old NFG fan theres songs such as Least im known for something. That manage to keep that great NFG sound that we all fell in love with those years ago. Ending in Tragedy is one of their best songs they've put out since their birth. And of course we can't forget the AFI like intro to the cd (if anyone has Sing the Sorrow they'll either be offended or humored). // 10

Lyrics: NFG has really taken the time to write these lyrics. Honesty i think they're following blinks lead and going into a more mature side of music. It's not as out there as blinks latest Masterpiece. a song that really sticks out to me on Catalyst is No News is Good News. I highly recommend everyone who buys this cd to read the lyrics while listening to it sometime. You'll see how great NFG truely is. // 10

Overall Impression: My Overall Impression of Catalyst by New Found Glory is everyone who has ever once liked an NFG, or pop punk song needs to buy this cd. Despite how Sticks and Stones kind of sucked compaired to their selftitled, this cd makes its pain go away. If this cd ever broke or got lost I wouldn't waste anytime buying it again. Jordan, Cyrus, Ian, Chad, and Steve really worked at this cd and made it the best they possibly could. The Riffs are great, Vocals are catchy as ever. Every beat is perfectly fit for the song. Buy it now. // 10

Catalyst Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 24, 2004

Sound: I'll be honest, I'm not too big a fan of those high pop-punk bands, but honestly it works very nice with this album. They do use guitar riffs, and try different sounds out, but all of them are well placed and well used. // 10

Lyrics: Good lyrics. They talk about a lot of stuff, but mostly about love. The lyrics are pretty catchy, and will probably get stuck in your head. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, great. Even if you hate high voices, give this a try. Almost all the songs have really catchy tunes, and "All Downhill From Here" is just one of the many singles that are probably gonna come out from this album. Everything on this album is catchy, and probably NFG's best work. // 10

Catalyst Reviewed by: GuitarMaster41, on october 18, 2004

Sound: Where do I begin with the sound? Well, their guitar lines have matured completely from their old stuff by far. The new sounding guitar riffs and tone will blow your mind if you have heard their Sticks And Stones CD at all. Jordan's voice sounds great with the nice guitar sounding chords and melodies along with Cyrus adding in some steady drum beats to make it even better. This is definetly the best sounding New Found Glory CD I have ever heard from their music. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have taken, well lets say a great step up from their other lyrics from before. The subject matter is much more than just whining about my old girlfriend or my life like other bands. On this CD they make the lyrics towards different things and not at their selfs which is a big plus. If you do get this CD listen to the song "Who Am I". I love the line in that song, "I'm a crack in the aspault you walk right on everyday." I know that everyone gets annoyed with Jordan's distinct voice but it really isn't that bad, you get used to it. And on this CD it fits in with all the guitaring. // 10

Overall Impression: This album Catalyst doesn't really compare to many other bands I have heard. They have used their own material and taken different sound and not the same sound over and over. I would have to say the most impressive songs on this album are, "Truth Of My Youth", "I Don't Wanna Know", "Failure's Not Flattering", and "Who Am I". The thing I love about it is the energetic music which they have not lost at all. There is actually nothing I hate about this CD. And if it were stolen I would easily go out and buy another one and maybe another for a friend. It is worth the money and everyone should by this CD! // 10

Catalyst Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 22, 2004

Sound: Catalyst was the first New Found Glory CD I bought, and I bought it off of a friend's advice. I wasn't dissappointed with it at all. The songs are catchy and the music is lively and fast. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics surprised me the most on this CD. "No News Is Good News" and "Who Am I" contain some of the deepest lyrics I've ever heard, and the whole CD is leaps and bounds above other pop-punk CDs lyrically. Jordan's voice, while annoying at first, goes really well with the background music, especially in the choruses. // 10

Overall Impression: "Catalyst" is by far New Found Glory's best album, and it's one of the best pop-punk albums available. My favorite songs on the album are: "This Disaster" "Your Biggest Mistake" "Failure's Not Flattering" and "No News Is Good News." The only song that I dislike is "Ending in Tragedy." If this CD got lost, I would buy it again in a heartbeat. If you are a fan of pop-punk or anything energetic and fast you will love this CD. // 10

Catalyst Reviewed by: Blink182Judith, on january 03, 2005

Sound: The sound is still the same, just better. You can hear they've gone from playing in a garage to playing in an expensive studio. On the other albums you couldn't quite hear the difference between Chad and Steve. Now you can; you can obviously hear the low tunes of Chad on his Les Paul and the light sounds of Steve on his Stratocaster. Chad plays most of the "solos". // 8

Lyrics: No change here, still super easy lyrics about love and relationships, and sometimes about nothing at all really. No News Is Good News is about the current situation: Bush, the Iraq War, you know the drill. The fact that the lyrics are still that easy doesn't bother me: what do you expect from a band like New Found Glory, they just make easy happy music and they're good at it! // 6

Overall Impression: I think Catalyst isn't as good as New Found Glory, but it's as good as Sticks And Stones. Take a good listen to This Disaster, I Don't Wanna Know, Failure's Not Flattering, I'd Kill To Fall Asleep: those are my personal favorites. I Don't Wanna Know is (as far as I know) their first ballad, and it's beautiful. Real easy to play on the guitar, too. Listen Catalyst a couple of times and I swear you can sing along all the songs. If you'll like it, that depends. If you didn't like NFG before, you probably don't like Catalyst too. But if you were allready a big fan, then you'll love this! // 8

Catalyst Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 16, 2005

Sound: First, I'd like to say that I was blown away by the talent of this quintet, there's just so much depth to their songs that I'll try to break down each song. 01. Intro - great beginning, starts the CD off great with rocking power chords. 9/10 02. All Downhill From Here - probably the best known track on the album. NFG pulls you into their world with a catchy chorus and ripping power chords. 9/10 03. This Disaster - this is an excellent song, great lyrics and awesome chorus. The song starts off alright but the hook-laden chorus lets you know that you're listening to something special. 10/10 04. Truth Of My Youth - the first impression of this song you get is a catchy, upbeat song. However, a closer listen to the lyrics will reveal to you that this is actually more an emotional song. Great use of color guitar in the chorus. 10/10 05. I Don't Wanna Know - NFG slows down for this track, a slow tune about meeting a girl. For some reason, the chorus reminds me of a nursery rhyme, though I can't place my finger on the exact one. 8/10 06. Your Biggest Mistake - this song really blew me away, NFG at it's best. The power chords in the background mesh beautifully with the lyrics, no awkward moments here. Background singing comes in at the perfect moments and provides beautiful complement to Jordan. Arguably the best song on the album. 11/10 07. Doubt Full - in the beginning of the song, Jordan croons out "The lines are perfectly written," and that describes this song. The lyrics are awesome. Not the catchiest melody, but if you take the time to listen to the lyrics, you'll get treated to some superb songwriting. 10/10 08. Failure's Not Flattering - good song, not great. I enjoyed the keyboard in the background, and the chorus is pretty sweet. Lyrics were meh. 8/10 09. Over The Head, Below The Knees - a dark song compared to the normally upbeat NFG. This song sees NFG delving into relatively unexplored territory for them, and they emerge safe and sound, not conquerors, but not failures either. 8/10 10. Ending In Tragedy - another slow song, this song really shows the depth that NFG has. My least favorite song on the album, but that doesn't mean it's bad because the album as a whole is amazing. 7/10 11. At Least I'm Known For Something - the song kicks off with ripping, palm-muted power chords. The verse is somewhat drawn out, but the song is saved by an awesome chorus with some great lyrics. Great song. 10/10 12. Constant Static - nice chorus, nice lyrics, alright song. 8/10 (for some reason, I'd Kill To Fall Asleep was replaced by Constant Static on my CD). 13. No News Is Good News - standard NFG fare, but nice constrast between verse and chorus. 8/10 14. Who Am I? - the song in the beginning is alright, but there also lies a hidden track if you listen through the whole 8 minute tune. It's just hilarious, you have to hear it for yourself. I'll say no more. 10/10 // 10

Lyrics: I was very impressed by the lyrics of this song, I was expecting some garbage lyrics from bands like Simple Plan or Good Charlotte. Instead, the lyrics are surprisingly deep and there are some great, witty moments. For example: "Cause I'm best known for failure/Best known for giving up/There's nothing that I could say that could matter, that could matter enough." Classic stuff in At Least I'm Known for Something. Great execution by Jordan on this one. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to other punk-pop bands, NFG is one of the best. Filler is nonexistant in this album, there's always something unique in each track. I love Jordan's voice, and the emotion and energy he brings into each track. A pattern I've found that I like is the contrast of the verse to chorus in some songs, slow and relatively soft, to loud and frenzied. If this were stolen/lost, I'd definately get another copy. In conclusion, this album can be described in one simple sentence. All Killer, No Filler, great album by a great band. // 10

Catalyst Reviewed by: Codestar20, on may 22, 2004

Sound: New Found Glory's new album, Catalyst, is definately a step in the right direction for this band. The sound is better than anything before. The songs are either heavier or slower than before. There isn't really anything in the middle. This effort blows their previous release, Sticks and Stones, out of the water. The guitar riffs are clean sounding and even more intricate than before. There are more melodies and even a couple small solos in the songs. Solos are not something NFG always does, but they can solo with the best of them (Listen to their cover of Warrant's "Heaven"). Musically, they have never been tighter. The drumming on this record is way above par. The opening track appropriately titled "Intro" is the fastest New Found Glory song ever and it literally tells the listener that they "are not the same", and they aren't. Keep in mind that when I am rating this, it is in comparison to past NFG cds. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics here on this album are the best New Found Glory has ever done. You can tell they put thought into it. There is less about the teenage heartbreak and more about issues that relate to the fans of NFG that have been fans of the band from the beginning. They are changing and growing as their fanbase is, and that is something that you have to admire and it should be done by all bands. "Ending In Tragedy" is one of the best songs on the whole album, and one of the best songs NFG has done, period. They are now writing about issues you'd see "hardcore" punk bands writing about with the media and whatnot. They do it in NFG style though. The lyrics are catchy and I dare you not to sing along with them. The fit with the music so well. They get a solid 5 for the lyrics here... // 10

Overall Impression: This is NFG's best effort to date. Two years after the release of Sticks and Stones, you can tell they worked very hard on this record. The best songs on the cd to me are: "This Disaster" "Ending In Tragedy" "Your Biggest Mistake" In reality, the whole cd is a solid work. I like pretty much everything about it. This might still be the same pop-rock, or "pop-punk" New Found Glory, but cleary, they have grown in maturity and it's a cd you should really check out. // 10

Catalyst Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 28, 2004

Sound: The sound has become heavier as the band promised, following the sequence of each record getting heavier sound-wise. This album differs from the older ones because the band use more riffs and also different guitar techniques. They also used different guitars to produce different sounds in the record too. One of the stand-out tracks is the love ballad, 'I Don't Wanna Know', because a string quartet as well as the band's instruments. There is also female backing vocals on the song to go with Jordan's nasal vocals too, which is also something new. Although the sound has become more 'hardcore', there are still elements of punk there, (most noticably Jordan's voice and the uplifting choruses we all associate with NFG)the sound change actually makes the band more serious distancing them more from pop-punk bands like Good Charlotte and Simple Plan, which is a good thing. Despite all the changes involving sound, it is still the NFG we know and love but much heavier and maturerer. But a step in the right direction. Unlike the sound of Blink 182's self titled, which is totally different. The downside of the album is that they're aren't really any proper solos in the whole album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have matured quite a lot since 'Sticks & Stones', although a lot of the songs on the album and on the previous albums talk about the bad points about love and relationships, 'I Don't Wanna Know' is really the opposite and talks about the good points at the beginning of a relationship which is different for the band. Unlike previous records, the band also sing about different issues that concern them, on the intro of the record the band hit back at the critics who say they're not punk and complain about manufactured bands in the music industry, another one of the songs, 'No News Is Good News' they sing about issues that concern the whole world itself an how messed up it is. On yet another track, 'I'd Kill to Fall Asleep' they even sing about insomnia. Their lyrics are really good and have matured a lot in 2 years, but theres room for improvement. // 8

Overall Impression: 'Catalyst' in my opinion is probablys the best NFG to date, with their debut 'Nothing Gold Can Stay' following close behind. The best songs are 'This Disaster','I Don't Wanna Know','Ending In Tragedy' and 'Who Am I?'. I loved the fact that they've become heavier and more mature in the lyric content without losing the sound of the previous albums, but adding to it. If it were stolen or lost, I think I would go out and but it again because it is already one of my fave albums. The low points of the album are the fact most songs are about love and relationships, and there arent any amazing guitar solos like on the cover of Warrant's 'Heaven'. Compared to Blink 182's self titled this wins by a mile and although the issues mentioned are serious, it is much more fun and enjoyable to listen to. I would definitely recommend it to NFG fans and people who enjoy punk too. The band promised and haven't disappointed at all, go out and buy it coz you'll see a whole new side to NFG you haven't seen before. // 10

Catalyst Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 28, 2004

Sound: Unlike their current "pop-punk" peers, New Found Glory take pretty significant steps forward with new albums. Catalst has a darker feel than NFG's previous releases, even the cover artwork. And the music itself is more complex and unique, while still heavy and energetic. // 10

Lyrics: The element of music which most differentiates New Found Glory from the increasing number of bands lumped into the extremely shallow and oxymoronic "pop-punk" genre is lyrical. Unlike bands such as Blink 182, Good Charlotte, or Simple Plan, New Found Glory has always written lyrics worth listening to. On the band's newest release, Catalyst, the most notable songs displaying the band's lyrical diversity include "No News is Good News", about society's fascination with morbidity ("I wonder why/Only disasters flood the headlines/Other people's misery/are on for the next 3 hours/Commercial free"), as well as conformity ("It's so easy not to think for yourself anymore/So naive/You don't do anything anymore") and "I'd Kill to Fall Asleep", with a chorus of "Back and Forth/I toss and turn/It feels like strings/are holding up my eyes". While New Found Glory do have their share of songs about girls and relationships, they're not necessarily "love songs". Most of the band's lyrics deal with broken friendships, the worst side of relationships, failure, or betrail. // 10

Overall Impression: I bought Catalyst so I'd know the new songs before seeing NFG on Warped this year, and was really impressed, considering I hadn't heard any of the songs before I bought it. I'd say this is definately worth the 13 dollars. // 10

Catalyst Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 18, 2005

Sound: Whoa dude, the sound totally blew my mind. There was a huge difference from this CD to all of their other ones. The guitar lines were so mature and Cyrus playing his drum lines made it even better. Of course the bass had a few solo lines here and there. I really think that from this sound, New Found Glory has matured from the pop-punk stage into of more of an alternative sound. But other than that, I loved the sound on this album and it was a great improvement. // 10

Lyrics: Awesome lyrics, which I almost like as much as I like the sound. If you have heard New Found Glory's previous albums, you will notice that not every song isn't talking about an old girlfriend or whining type thing. Jordan's voice sounds so crisp with the music along with a great voice. His voice fits so perfect with the guitar lines they use too. My lasting impression with the sound is it is also a giant leap from their old stuff too. // 10

Overall Impression: I would say this is New Found Glory's best album yet. Just about every song I liked with slow changing beats to fast rock. But my favorites would have to be This Disaster, Truth Of My Youth, I Don't Wanna Know, No News Is Good News, and Who Am I. But aside from those, all of them rock. I would have to say I would definetly buy another "Catalyst" CD if mine were stolen, no sweat. It is worth the money by far and I think everyone should get themselves a copy. Overall, this CD is great! // 10

More New Found Glory reviews rating latest review