From The Screen To Your Stereo, Part II Review

new found glory: From The Screen To Your Stereo, Part II
Release Date: Sep 10, 2007
Label: Drive Thru
Genres: Punk-Pop, Punk Revival
This album consists of the band's own take on soundtrack songs from popular movies from the '80s, '90s and '00s.
 8.1
 7.2
review (1) 24 comments vote for this album:
From The Screen To Your Stereo, Part II Reviewed by: UG Team, on september 26, 2007

Sound: For those not familiar with From The Screen To Your Stereo, it is New Found Glory covering their favorite movie songs. In the last one, they covered songs like Aerosmith's I Don't Want To Miss A Thing, Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On, and the theme song from The Never Ending Story. In part 2, the band takes what they did in part 1, doubled it's size, and added a full cast of guest vocalist. The music can only be described as solid. The entire album holds your attention from start to finish. The album starts off with Sixpence None the Richer's Kiss Me (best known for being in the movie She's All That). The song really is a great opener, immediately defining the album. The song definitely shows that the album will be nothing like their last album, Coming Home which took a more serious tone for the band. Kiss Me makes you think about old New Found Glory, where the band was all about having fun. Another great song is King Of Wishful Thinking (originally done by Go West for Pretty Woman). The track features guest vocals from Fall Out Boy's Patrick Stump. The guest vocals are welcomed in and perfect the already amazing track. Stay actually features Lisa Loeb, the original writer of the song. Originally from the movie Reality Bites, the track is an interesting song for the band to do, but it definitely is helped out with Loeb's vocal guest spot. Lovefool, originally done by the Cardigans, features Adam Lazzara of Taking Back Sunday fame and it is a great song for the band to do. It has a general fun feeling to it for such a fun band. Another stellar addition to this movie soundtrack is Crazy For You, which features Max Bemis of Say Anything. The song is a great way for the band to incorporate the vocals of Bemis, along with their own vocals. The duet between the two is a very well done addition to this album. Some other songs I didn't mention that I loved are Head Over Heels (from Donnie Darko), Don't You Forget About Me (from The Breakfast Club), and Iris (from City Of Angels). This cover album will continuously be playing on your mp3 or CD player. The album has little to no flaws, but some songs are better than others. The guitar riffs are basic pop-punk styling, mostly consisting of chords. I found that songs like It Ain't Me Babe and The Promise weren't exactly welcome to the band, but they were definitely interesting attempts for them. Overall, though, the band has released something that people will talk about for awhile. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics of this album aren't original, but they are definitely good lyrics. Guitarist Chad Gilbert has said, We really looked hard to find songs that we might've written ourselves. Yeah, maybe we wouldn't write a song called 'Kiss Me', but we have love songs and songs about relationships, so it made sense. Most of the lyrics on this album are stuff that the band would write. Most of the songs are about love and relationships. The songs' lyrics are clever and memorable to anyone who has heard them. // 9

Overall Impression: This album I doubted at first, but after I heard Kiss Me, I knew it would be good. The album is memorable and is a good representation of some of the band's roots. To me, this seems like good, old fun New Found Glory. It is definitely a step above Coming Home. I would recommend anyone this album. If you don't like pop-punk in general, then maybe this isn't for you, but this album is solid. Anyone who likes the band or music from bands like New Found Glory will love this cover album from beginning until the very end. // 9

More New Found Glory reviews rating latest review