Sticks And Stones Review

Lyrics: 8.6
 8.8
 8.6
Sticks And Stones Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 18, 2003

Sound: Hailing from Coral Springs, Florida, NFG combines hard-core, emo, and rock in an attempt to reinterpret the once narrow definition of "punk". Distorted amps and catchy choruses, combined with versatility and passionate energy give this band a sound that stands out among the army of guitar wielding clones that have recently flooded the punk music scene. Tight harmonies and grabby riffs aside though, this band still needs some time to mature. Why? // 10

Lyrics: Steve Klein, the band's lyricist, descibes the self titled album as being about "...relationships and growing up - things everybody knows about. This is a record about looking forward to new things and moving forward in your life". // 10

Overall Impression: If there was one sentence that summed this band up, it would be this: They have potential. New Found Glory (NFG) is a good band, but not a great band. Since their inception in 1997, they've become a cohesive musical machine capable of some impressive sounds. Still, there's a threshold that every fledgeling band needs to pass before making it big, and as hard as they've worked, these boys haven't made it quite yet. // 10

Sticks And Stones Reviewed by: dylandevoe, on march 26, 2004

Sound: New Found Glory's newest album "Sticks And Stones" isn't just another cd with crappy recordings, it has much more to it then any of there other releases. I love the way they mix the main guitar with those catchy little riffs. The drums in "Head On Collision" remind me of Steve-o 32 from Sum 41 because both drummers hit their drums hard. I also like the bridge in "Understatement" (the first track on the cd) because the vocalist's (Jordan Pundik) voice changes to an octave lower. I think the sound on this album was great! // 10

Lyrics: Even though Jordan Pundik has a voice that probably drives alot of people nuts, much like the Good Charlotte vocalist (Joel Madden), the lyrics are well written. I think the track on this album with the best lyrics would have to be "It's Been A Summer". All the words just seem to fit together. // 8

Overall Impression: I would deffinitly recommend this cd to anyone. The best thing about the album is that I can let the whole thing play unlike most of the other cds I have. I don't have to skip I track because I can't stand that song or because I don't really think it's that good. I can just let this cd play and listen to every song in order because they're all fun to sing and play guitar to. // 10

Sticks And Stones Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 09, 2005

Sound: New Found Glory's sound is the essense of energy. The band definately has charisma, and that shows in the energy of their songs. The slowest song on this album, Sonny, is still pretty fast and pop-punky. The only real downside of having all these fast songs is that it's often hard to tell some songs apart. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on "Sticks And Stones" are extremely generic, and all the songs basically tell the same breakup story over and over again. The only exceptions are "Sonny," which is actually quite good lyrically and deals with the death of a loved one, and "Belated," which is still a breakup song but this time the breakup is caused by a forgotten birthday. Jordan's voice is not too annoying on this CD, and for the most part it goes pretty well with the lyrics. // 6

Overall Impression: Don't get me wrong I love New Found Glory. However, they could have done much better than this CD. Up until Catalyst, almost all of NFG's songs sounded almost exactly alike. This CD is not nearly is good as Catalyse, but it is slightly better than their self-titled CD. My favorite tracks are "Understatement" "My Friends Over You" and "Never Give Up." If it were lost, I'd still have their self-titled CD, and they sound so similar I'd never miss it. // 6

Sticks And Stones Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 18, 2003

Sound: It doesn't help that New Found Glory are often indistinguishable from their Warped Tour brethren. Blink-182's Mark Hoppus plays bass on "Something I Call Personality," and the sound remains the same. The album gets some much-needed adventurousness with the loss-of-a-loved-one theme in "Sonny" and the electro intro to the daft punk of "Singled Out." Beyond that, Sticks and Stones is just generic kiddie fodder. // 8

Lyrics: I'm sick of smiling/and so is my jaw" is how singer Jordan Pundik begins Sticks and Stones, and he stands by that glum declaration throughout the album. Pundik's lyrics -- always delivered from the top of his snot-packed sinus cavity -- focus on pretty much the same stuff as they did on the first two New Found Glory albums: girl woes and crumbling friendships. And his band's cheery pop-punk confections still seem like power ballads with an orange dye job. // 8

Sticks And Stones Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 21, 2003

Overall Impression: I absolutely love this cd. I bought it the day it came out and it didn't leave my cd player for weeks. The first song starts off nicely with a good chorus and nice riffs. While their first single (My friends over you) is good "Sonny" is a song that really stuck out. It's a bit slower and the lyrics are great. Their second single, "Head on collision", was an instant favorite of mine when I first heard it and I knew it would be their second single. While the theme of this album is very much like their self-titled (great cd also), it's got better guitar playing. The ending song (The Story So Far) has a great melody to it and it shows the bands diversity. There are two bonus tracks on another cd that you should get (Forget Everything and Anniversary). All in all it's a great cd. // 10

Sticks And Stones Reviewed by: EmO_RuleZ!!, on may 06, 2004

Sound: I think that this is a really big growth from 'Nothing Gold Can Stay.' It sounds like a better NFG, like it's a New Found Glory record, but the guitar seems like more of a grown up version. On 'Sonny' the guitar part blew my mind. // 8

Lyrics: I like the lyrics on this disc. They are much better than NGCS. I think that Steve, (the guitarist/songwriter) writes good lyrics. Take for example, "The Story So Far" one of the lyrics, 'I've been searching up and down this coast. overlooking what I needed the most.' Super good cd lyricly. // 10

Sticks And Stones Reviewed by: NirvanaTDGfan, on june 23, 2004

Sound: I Picked this cd up cuz I had new found glory and catalyst(both of which kick major ass) But this cd reall really really beat my expectations. The sound is great I think the guitar work is their best so far. Its fast, energetic, happy, (with some cool soundin solos) and I think gets you really pumped. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are incredible on this cd. The songwriter's are great and really express a happy or sad side to all situations. Jordans great high voice is still working awesome with the roaring guitars. Great lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This cd is by far NFG's masterpiece. It's happy,sad,and fast, with some awesome drum work and great guitar and bass. This cd really seperates itself with all the others and defines this bands ability to expand their sound. I think that this is their best punk album. It Is by far one of my favorite cds. If it was lost id buy it again fer sure. This cds best tracks are sonny, the great houdini,the story so far,head on collision, understatement, and my friends over you. Your in idiot not to buy this. Get it. And their other cds, Go. Now, // 10

Sticks And Stones Reviewed by: habbalock, on september 13, 2011

Sound: I have been listening to New Found Glory for about one year now, just songs and never albums. My first song I have ever heard by them was "My Friends Over You" which is off of their third studio album in 2002, Sticks and Stones. That was the song that got my listening to them. This weekend I went to the library to pickup a copy and I was blown away. Every song starting from Understatement was extraordinary. Being listened to on a Bose stereo system, the bass was very good and full. Guitars sound very cocky and big and thick. I was impressed by the vocals by Jordan Pundik, hitting some crazy highs and energetic lines. Overall the band's playability on this album was amazing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are those that everyone can relate to. From calling out someone, "though you swear that you are true, I still pick my friends over you" to "I've never felt so bad in my entire life but this time I did it to myself. What do u expect from me?" this album has a wide diversity of topics. Again, Jordan's vocal talent shows greatly in this album along with the harmonies. It all goes great together. The only this that I did not like was how some of the lines were really cheesy. // 8

Overall Impression: This album has a voice of its own. I think that Singled Out and Understatement are the best songs on this album. Both showing incredible speed and talent. I love the whole production of the album and the mix of it. Sounds very big. Nothing I hate other than some lyric lines that sounded cheesy. If it were stolen I'd have to pay the library back (:D). If I did however purchase the album and it got stolen, I would buy it again. // 9

More New Found Glory reviews rating latest review