Hand Built By Robots Review

newton faulkner: Hand Built By Robots
Release Date: Jul 23, 2007
Label: Ugly Truth
Genres: Contemporary Singer/Songwriter, Adult Alternative Pop/Rock
2007 debut album from the young singer/songwriter making waves on both sides of the pond with his melodic and mesmerizing approach to his craft.
 8.5
 7.7
 9.2
Hand Built By Robots Reviewed by: Sos-viper, on october 29, 2007

Sound: My first impresion of newton faulkner was wow what a great solo artist. I orignally heard his song dream catch me on the hits. I thought this was a good song which thn lead to me getting the album. the album is a very acoustic album, with every track featuring some magnificent chord structures from newton. The songs genres must be pop no questions about that. A lot of the songs are very happy and joyful. As you can see by Newton's guitar playing he is a very talented guitarist, and as a lover of rock music aswell as many other genres, I sat listening to the album hopeing for some form of guitar solo. Obviously soloing is not for Newton Faulkner. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics to all the tracks are happy lyrics all about love and togetherness really. He has a few lines in there that have massive potential whilst others are just a repeat of something you heard earlier in the album. Newton plays guitar and sings at the same time but this does nto effect his voice. Newton poses a great tone to his voice which I think most music lvoers would apreciate. // 7

Overall Impression: This album was a rther good album, poses a few brilliant tracks, nad some repetitive accoustic drones. the albums best two tracks would be the ones that have been released as singles 'Dream Catch Me' and 'All I Got'. overall if you like a nice tunefull catchy song this album is definately for you otherwise you may find hope in other artists. // 5

Hand Built By Robots Reviewed by: priceless_twirp, on march 25, 2008

Sound: I first heard about this album from Jo Wiley's sexy voiced and appraising TV advert about 6 months ago and I thought Well who can refuse that? So I didn't. I bought it on my next trip out, got it home, banged it on my computer and listened to it for a bit. I got bored very quickly and left it gathering hard drive dust for a few months. Then, a few weeks back, I came across it again and was completely blown away. I don't know what changed about my sensibilities or mood at the time but I now think him to be one of the most beautiful and clever singer/songwriter's there are. There is not only the obvious single material in Dream Catch Me is to be had here. Beautiful little hidden gems such as Gone in the Morning, which is deep syncopated voice incredible (an in-joke there, for listeners of the album), and UFO, which uses a Theremin for crying out loud, which don't make such an obvious poppy statement, but when you really listen you can sit back and think wowhe knows what he's doing! From his huge, sweeping songs to his snappy little numbers, the diversity from such a narrow origin, of a single acoustic guitar, is staggering. Not to mention the playing. Using finger picking, cross picking, classical picking, most types of picking really, popping a snare and bass beat on his guitar body, tapping all at the same time, in the same song. Enough said really. See him live for this! The one thing I would say was bad about the album is the few points at which it becomes slightly introspective and loses momentum a bit, namely with Sitar-Y Thing and Lullaby (forgivable seeing as it's the final track). // 9

Lyrics: From watching his live performances it is clear that many of his songs do have a meaning behind them lyrically. He loves the concept of dreams, the whole album possessing this quality of an invented reality, even making his few political statements (too much fighting, not enough peace/love etc.) he does it in a notably surreal way (e.g. what would and alien think if he saw this planet) which makes for some wondrous listening throughout. What's more is that the quality of the singing is just beautiful, every word is obvious and defined and the harmonies are just amazing. It may be the case that it's all a bit too weird for you but just open your mind to the oddness before shooing it. // 9

Overall Impression: Most people would make The Jack Johnson Comparison I won't. I won't simply because there isn't one. Not to Jack Johnson, not to most people. For one thing he beats JJ's summer afternoon drowsy rubbish off the radar, with his all year round, all round brilliance. For another, he is certainly one of the more uniquely styled player/singer/songwriter's you're likely to hear, with no one else quite like him. He's like a Frankenstein's Monster of the reasons music is good. // 9

Hand Built By Robots Reviewed by: mikespread88, on january 08, 2008

Sound: Although I aren't an avid Acoustic listener, Newton Faulkner has a brilliant sound. Everything sounds very precise and clean, the songs Gone In The Morning, Dream Catch Me and I Need Something really standing out to me. I saw him at Middlesbrough Music Live a while ago and really enjoyed his performance. // 8

Lyrics: Again, Newton's lyrics make you want to join in singing. He touches on subjects from love to loss of self-belief and being who you want to be. Although you hear the occasional reference to say an Anal probe in UFO, or living inside a zoo, he still carries the song with great vocals and a very happy mood. His voices matches the acoustic guitar sound and the beat perfectly, giving a greater impression of the entire album on how well produced this is. // 8

Overall Impression: I've heard Jack Johnson before and thought he was good, but Newton has a much better sound and his songs touch upon things that relate to every day life and how certain things make you feel. My favourite song is Gone In The Morning, but as previously said, I enjoyed Dream Catch Me and I Need Something, and To The Light to some extent. I think I would enjoy this album as much now as I will in say ten years. // 8

Comments