Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! Review

artist: nick cave and the bad seeds date: 12/16/2008 category: compact discs
nick cave and the bad seeds: Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!
Released: April 8, 2008
Genre: Rock
Label: Anti
"Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!" finds Nick Cave back at the helm of his long-term band The Bad Seeds after some impressive soundtrack work - 2005's "The Assassination of Jesse James" - and a busman's holiday in the raw, rocking "Grinderman".
 9.2
 9.4
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! Reviewed by: charlie__flynn, on december 16, 2008

Sound: Don't be suprised if at first you're feeling baffled with 'Nick Cave and The bad Seeds' ecclectic mix of instuments and a range of styles from what could only be described as (as much as I hate it) 'experimental' to all out rock. Each song on the album has a different story and theme yet all flow together smoothly. The band has a grand total of 8 members with a combined talent for playing 23 instruments, all of which are exploited to their full effect on this album. So although this album may seem baffling at first, after a few listens Nick Cave's true genius really shines through and makes this album absolutely incredible. // 8

Lyrics: Nick Cave is one of the most angry, yet coherent lyricists of our time. The last gig I went to see of him a fan shouted to him 'your a genius' he simply replied, 'well yes'. Nick Cave is a recovered heroin addict who has not found God, this makes itself apparent on many of his tracks and does not fail to make an appearence on this album. Nick Cave explores many autobiogrpahical styles of song as well as often branching out into the mildly erotic. I could listen to Nick Cave's lyrics and voice over and over and each time find a new meaning or something that I had missed before. In this sense, his songwriting is not dissimilar to the Bible. // 10

Overall Impression: I'll do a short breakdown of the songs on the album. 01.Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!: the opening track is an all out rocker that will get you tapping your foot and listening to the story of the ressurected 'larry' as he makes hes way across America. 02.Today's Lesson: this is of a more subtle form of rock, with the organ taking a lot of predominance on the track. Nick Cave explores social problems through a conversation between the sandman and a girl. 03.Moonland: this song starts straight with a bongo beat and a slow jazz organ. It isnt one of my favourite songs as it feels slightly repetative in the chorus and the singing doesnt quite grab my atttenion enough. 04.Night of the Lotus Eaters: this is my least favourite track on the album and is the most experimental. It consists of a dissonant beat and the lyrics are not forward enough in the mix. In a way it is quite chilling to listen to as the lyrics 'get ready to shoot yourself' are often repeated. 05.Albert Goes West: this song is the most simple, straight forward guitar driven, rock song on the album and its a good one at that. 06.We call upon the Author: this is one of my favourite songs as it shows Nick Cave at his anti-God stance but he also explores to an interesting techno off beat twice in the song which does not fit but still feels right. 07.Hold on to yourself: another good song, featuring an acoustic guitar and a very catchy yet soulful guitar line that think fits perfectly. 08.Lie Down Here (& Be My Girl): another good rocker, with lots of odd guitar fills that really work. 09.Jesus Of The Moon: a slow song that I didnt much like until it reached the chorus, which changed my mind completely - very catchy and well sung. 10.Midnight Man: at first I didnt think much of this song and thought of it as a filler because I never listened to it all the way through. It is now one of my favourites as the lyrics and musical work really complement each other and it turns into a great rocker after the first chorus. 11.More News From Nowhere: the closer for the album, and by far my favourite track. I often feel that trakcs bordering on 8mins are too much to handle but i could listen to this on repeat, I get lost in the way Nick Cave tells te story. Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! is a great album and although often serious Nick Cave definately knows how to incorporate comedy into his lyrics. My only problem is the often uneeded experimentalism within some of the songs. I would definately buy this album again, without a doubt. // 9

More Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds reviews rating latest review