Bryter Layter Review

nick drake: Bryter Layter
Released: November 1, 1970
Genre: British folk
Label: Island Records
Like Five Leaves Left, the album contains no unaccompanied songs: Drake was accompanied by part of the British folk rock group Fairport Convention and John Cale from The Velvet Underground.
 9.4
 9.3
 9.5
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Bryter Layter Reviewed by: hippieboy444, on october 20, 2008

Sound: Nick Drake is one of the few artists ever to record three amazing albums in a row. Bryter Layter (his second album) is no exception to this statement. The production quality on this album is, in my opinion, he best of all his albums. Though this is his only album that fetures a drum kit on a majority of the album (9/10 of the tracks have drums), a horn section (Hazey Jane II), and to have three instrumentals (Introduction, Bryter Layter, Sunday), it still sounds and feels like a Nick Drake album. The only thing about this album is that is not as folky as his other albums, Pink Moon and Five Leaves Left (yet the string arrangements are still prominent). This is a poppier Nick Drake, an album striving for more commercial success. Althogh the direction cheanged, his music did not and we still have three masterpeices. // 9

Lyrics: Bryter Layter has some of my favorte Nick Drake lyrics. The lyrics are meaningful and poetic, and on songs like One of These Things First, and Northern Sky, his metaphors and analogies are simply perfect. His voice has changes since Five Leaves Left, becoming a little higher, but still sounds great. The lyrics on this album, like his other works, go great with the music. Nick had a way of molding the lyrics and music together to get an exceptional composition. As I said, it may have my favorite lyrics of Nick Drake. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is not one to spare buying for any Nick Drake fan. The album may not appeal to folk purists, people who enjoy folk, pop, and rock will fall in love with this album. The songs are arranged and performed well, and I cannot say that there's anything i don't like about the album. I would buy this again, of course! Its a no-brainer. Listen to it. YOu'll see what I mean. // 9

More Nick Drake reviews rating latest review