Pink Moon Review

nick drake: Pink Moon
Release Date: 1972
Label: Hannibal
Genres: Progressive Folk, Baroque Pop, Folk-Rock
Aside from a splash of piano, the only instrumentation on this stark and spooky collection is Drake's eloquent acoustic guitar.
 9.2
 9.4
review (1) 6 comments vote for this album:
Pink Moon Reviewed by: hippieboy444, on april 03, 2008

Sound: Nick drake is great, that's a fact. This happens to be the album he really lets his playing expand more than on Five leaves left. The sound is very colourful in the way that when I'm listening to it, it takes me somewhere. One thing though is that this ventures off the path of many orchestrations heard on previous albums. this album is only his and his guitar, excluding the piano solo on pink moon. The album is mainly psychedelic folk, being in the psychedelic sense that he uses many chord substitutes (augmenteds, diminished, minor 7) and a lot of dreamy lyrics too. But he does it well. there not one song on this album that I don't like. // 9

Lyrics: These are def. Nick Drake lyrics. The one thing different on this album is that his lyrics are a lot shorter. The songs range from 2-3 minutes and he often has reprises and choruses. Though this doesn't matter for he pulls it off by adding astronomical music. The music couldn't fit any better with the music he plays. The way he delivers the lyrics is different. His voice is less pronounced and lacks diction and he sings in his higher register rather than his mlow mellow tone. // 8

Overall Impression: This is probably my favorite nick drake ablum of the too I owm (FLL, PM). I think the reason I like this one is because it is more like an everyday album, not a highly sophisticated album. The most impressive song "Which Will," for it's chord changes are great and yet so unpredictable. I really have no complaint on this album; it's really good. If it were stolen, I'd buy it again definately. This is Nick Drake at his latest and greatest! // 10

More Nick Drake reviews rating latest review